Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 314
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 15,829 Posts
    • 43,837 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I must admit to looking at photos of the queen and thinking - "Just goes to show that even with loads of money to spend on yourself - one does need to exercise/watch posture/etc or else you land up plump and hunched-over. She was slim and attractive when young".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-01-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    How to make the worst decisions you'll ever make. Think "What would the ancestors do?" and (be you a person or a part of a country) you'll make a mistake every time.
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 9th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Among other conditions, deterioration of the spine, and osteoporosis play a big factor in the posture of older people.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 14,894 Posts
    • 142,408 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'd agree with thriftwizard's mum. We often pass people out running in rain and gales and I think they are just asking for pneumonia or bronchitis for a start, then later on the worn joints. I think people used to be thinner and fitter because they walked more and ate less
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 9th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Yes Mardatha and the food was not full of unknown fats, sugars, added vitamins (because the natural goodness is processed out), and colouring to make it look like recognisable food.

Looking at old photos recently, it's noticeable how OH has lost height in the last 20 years. He used to be 5 " taller than me, now barely the same height. At 79, he is 9 years older than I am. Right knee replacement, left knee going same way, deterioration of lower spine - his Dad had a furniture shop, from early teenage, OH and his brother were helping deliver beds and wardrobes. It's classed as 'wear and tear' ...
    Last edited by Shropshirelass; 09-01-2018 at 2:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 3,740 Posts
    • 46,020 Thanks
    maryb
    I lost nearly an inch in height last year when I fractured a vertebra. I was in a back brace for three months and it kept it fairly straight but my upper back is getting a bit curved. My jackets ride up at the back hem now. It!!!8217;s genetics and luck

My hip is fine because I do so much walking but it!!!8217;s very hard to get enough weight bearing exercise to maintain the density in your spine if you are predisposed to osteoporosis
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 3,740 Posts
    • 46,020 Thanks
    maryb
    Oh and I think her Madge does a lot of riding even now
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,019 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I wonder how we'll all look if we're lucky enough to make our 90 something birthdays? I know some 90+ folks in the village and some are hale and hearty, living independent and active lives, still riding bikes and playing tennis, others are mentally very alert and tuned in (two of them have the most wicked sense of humour) but are deteriorating physically and one walks with a stick and the other a small wheeled frame but they still DO walk every day and meet friends in the bakery for coffee and go to WI and church, local pub meals etc. it's an object lesson not to moan on achy joint days or when life isn't going the way I want it to as I've never heard any of them moan and they are always smiling!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 15,829 Posts
    • 43,837 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm not keen on how I look now personally - and won't look if I can possibly help it already and my reason for watching re "hunching" is purely and simply down to posture (and not health considerations - though I've shrunk a bit). But I've got a friend that "tells me off" every time I "hunch" - as she knows I've got no reason for it.

I don't want to (as in - I'm very very against doing so myself indeed) reach 90 personally - so am not going to worry about that. Each to their own - but not for me personally.

I think it's so sad to see what seems to happen to darn nearly every British person as they get to be elderly and I've spent literally many years watching my own parents in ever-decreasing health so Extreme Old Age is something I don't want for myself just in case (because I am struggling to think of anyone in this country that manages that unscathed).

We've all got our own individual limits about what we would put up with and these may or may not be "conscious" and I know many would put up with things I wouldnt personally and it's probably down to just "accepting what you get", rather than a conscious decision as to whether to "accept what you get" or no. Each to their own.

I think the default setting for many is to think we'd all like long lives. It's my birthday today - and I've now started telling people "Please don't wish me MANY Happy Returns. Wish me "Happy Birthday" - but cut out the word "Many" - as I don't want "Many" ". I guess it's a default setting to a lot of people to think others would want the word "Many" - and comes in the same light as there are still people assuming getting married means wanting children or describing a child as a "first child" - and totally unaware that it sounds pressurising to people to have a child/have a second child - when they may have personally decided otherwise.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-01-2018 at 4:31 PM.
    How to make the worst decisions you'll ever make. Think "What would the ancestors do?" and (be you a person or a part of a country) you'll make a mistake every time.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 6,345 Posts
    • 97,048 Thanks
    fuddle
    I walk. That is all. This body wasn't designed to pound the roads. My boobage as a cave woman wouldn't cope with the bouncy bouncy action so am I 'eck putting my modern day self through that.

I do think we should move almost all the time though. Climbing, walking, twisting, wringing, stretching etc.

Happy Birthday money. Are you having a good one?
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 9th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    Doveling
    Happy birthday MITSTM, have a lovely evening!

I think the Queen looks like a beautiful, well-groomed ninety year old

Very few of us will have the same WOW! factor at ninety that we had at nineteen
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 15,829 Posts
    • 43,837 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Happy Birthday money. Are you having a good one?
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Thanks.

Had a birthday lunch out today with the "best friend I've made here" - so some wine might have been consumed. We buy each other pressies at Christmas and birthday - but more valuable to me today was that she offered to do a task for me that I would struggle with to the extent I was all set to pay someone to do it for me. So she's saved me the hassle/expense of that. It's nice when someone thinks of you...

I'd thought my mother had forgotten about her usual "ring daughter first thing on her birthday" that she does - but it turned out there was a good reason for that. However, her memory is going to the extent that even she admits it these days - and I've now had 2 birthday cards and 2 cheques from her for it. Worrying - as I know how her much older sister went latterly - as in she'd "gone" mentally a while before the end and my mother has had a much more stressful life than Older Sister and I've been watching this going on for years now...while my mother wouldnt admit that the reason we were remembering things differently was because she wasnt remembering "what actually happened" correctly sometimes.

Anyway - lunch out was a case of us both ignoring the fact that Aussie Flu is doing the rounds (though neither of us has heard of anyone round here with it yet).

After reading a newspaper article today about a woman with it saying it's "very painful/more painful than childbirth" and me thinking "How can flu be painful??? I've had it once and it wasnt" - I've looked out the recipe for Thieves Oil and shall be making up some as a preventative measure.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 15,829 Posts
    • 43,837 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Happy birthday MITSTM, have a lovely evening!

I think the Queen looks like a beautiful, well-groomed ninety year old

Very few of us will have the same WOW! factor at ninety that we had at nineteen
    Originally posted by Doveling
    Thanks.

Nope - I was still plain at 19 personally. I "came into my own" at some point in my 30's up till about 50 - and then it started going downhill....

Yep...I know if age can even affect Debbie Harry and Sophie Loren then us "mere mortals" don't have a lot of hope on that front....
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 11,898 Posts
    • 229,591 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I kinda think being on holiday for several months of each year, being waited on hand and foot, having fashion designers, tailors, hairdressers and beauticians at one's beck and call might just have a little bit to do with one's level of polish and glow. On the other hand, having a total nitwit as your son and heir could motivate you to keep going as long as possible, too.

I've just been having (private) physical therapy on a troublesome hip joint and am investing in self-care in respect of the structure rather than fretting about the surface appearances. Because I'm going to be a long time reaching the new improved state retirement age and need to be as limber as possible. If you're gonna kick a$$, you need to be able to raise your leg high enough.

My attitude to running is that I did it under duress as a schoolchild but I do not voluntarily run anywhere as an adult. Human beings are superbly designed to walk long distances and we can wear down much faster animals due to our great staying power. We even thrive with intense bouts of sprinting, the so-called high intensity training model.

We do not do well pounding up and down on unyielding surfaces like tarmac for hour after hour. I can't see the sense in beating up one's joints, replacement is an imperfect science and most of the joints are going to have to last us for life and should be cherished, not pummelled.

I am shortly going to immerse myself in a deep bath with a mug of epsom salts dissolved into it. Transdermal absorption of this essential mineral and great benefit to aches and pains. I will be a sybarite and take a portable radio tuned to a classical station and a glass of wine also.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 14,894 Posts
    • 142,408 Thanks
    mardatha
    That sounds like a lovely relaxing evening GQ. And I share your view of HM lol but wasn't going to say it out loud. But I have to say that she looks grumpy and ungracious as all hell to me
    but then I dare say I would look like that to her as well
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 11,898 Posts
    • 229,591 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Aaahhh, that was nice. I had my solar charged radio (preptastic!) parked on the sink tuned to Classic FM, listening to Chopin. That nocturne was a bliddy good 'un, if one can be so vulgar.

Lounging around getting some more vino down my neck, I have a leftover-from-crimble wine box to tidy up, don'tcha know.

I've been warned to expect Extensive Bruising tomoz. Never mind, it's in a good cause (being able to walk without limping slightly is high on my 2018 ambitions).

G'night all.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 10,266 Posts
    • 55,377 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I know if age can even affect Debbie Harry and Sophie Loren then us "mere mortals" don't have a lot of hope on that front....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    OTOH, there's Helen Mirren

My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 9th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 33,290 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    If you're gonna kick a$$, you need to be able to raise your leg high enough.
    Thank you, GQ, that's an excellent candidate for quote of the year, even in early January! And to that end, I'll keep on dancing...
    Angie

GC May 18 326.16/400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 145.26/250, pet & livestock food '18 131.45/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 15,829 Posts
    • 43,837 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Sorrees Bob - you've not convinced me. She certainly puts the effort into looking her best and looks better than some - but........
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,019 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I personally don't give a toss what the rest of the planet thinks of how I look, I'm clean and so are my clothes, usually neatish and try very much to fade into any background I happen to be against. There is so much in life that is very much more important than worrying about getting older and the thoughts of strangers about your appearance.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,019 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I read a blog every day that used to be FRUGAL IN SUFFOLK and is now IN A QUIET SUFFOLK LANE, a lady called Sue who had a smallholding and then her husband was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and they have been adjusting their lives and where they live to cope with the future and what it may hold for them. Todays post is very relevant to this thread and holds a great deal of practical and pertinent planning to prepare for an uncertain future, one that possibly faces all of us too so is well worth a serious read and contemplate. Perhaps we need to pull this particular thread back to it's original purpose as a 'prepping' site and concentrate on just how we would (will?) manage life should the ease in which we live today and the convenience of modern life be suddenly not available to us for any of a large number of reasons, we seem to have diversified of late and prepping doesn't feature highly in our meanderings.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin