Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bored
    • By Bored 16th Feb 13, 11:58 PM
    • 256Posts
    • 353Thanks
    Bored
    Unknown charges on my phone account
    • 16th Feb 13, 11:58 PM
    Unknown charges on my phone account 16th Feb 13 at 11:58 PM
    Just logged into T-mobile to check I was under my monthly limit for calls and texts and I found two charges for £1.25 under the 'third party' activity, both listed under the name of 'Buongiorno PI' on the 05/02 and the 011/02.

I'm very careful, never pay for apps or go over my limits so I'm very confused with this and also worried that I'll keep on getting charged. I'll give T-mobile a ring tomorrow but anyone have any idea what this could be?
Page 5
    • Elaine17
    • By Elaine17 20th Jan 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Elaine17
    I have just seen that the phone scam known as Buongiorno has been taking £4.50 PER WEEK since October 19th.
    Did all the same as everyone, called EE, wrote to Buongiorno who have simply done as they have to others......said I did join, I did play a game on 1 occasion and I did not reply STOP to any message, they also say they will NOT be giving a refund.
    ......needless to say I never had any messages, or have I ever played a game on my phone.
    It was only when I saw EE had been fined 2.3 million that I decided to check my phone bill (online) and discovered £4.50 was taken weekly as far back as October.
    Looking further into it I discover this Buongiorno Scammers are responsible for these amounts on my phone bill.
    As I travel overseas regular and use my phone just never thought anything about my bills.
    Oh how I wish I had checked but....I havnt so what to do?????
    • colinthfc
    • By colinthfc 26th Jan 17, 8:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    colinthfc
    Court date now fixed for 14th March at Shoreditch & Clerkenwell County Court. Will share judgement once case is dealt with

On the basis there is a CCJ recorded against them I will be forwarding it to the Phone Paid Services Authority and demand they investigate mine and all other similar complaints. If they refuse I may commenced and judicial review

Thanks to those who contacted me via the Colin B!games gmal address.
    • pompokko
    • By pompokko 10th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pompokko
    Looks like I have also been scammed. Ive been charged since November 2016 and exactly same scenario as Elaine17 - what you wrote is the exact experience Ive had so far. Will be very interested to hear the outcome of your court proceedings colinthfc thanks for taking it that far, cant believe a company can get away with taking people's money like that!
    • colinthfc
    • By colinthfc 14th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    colinthfc
    Court Case now settled
    I settled my claim scheduled today and have been paid back in full. There was extremely anxious to settle when they realised I was not going to back down. The full amount has been paid into my account and it must have cost them a fortune in legal fears defending a claim of £49.50. I have brought many cases via Money Claim on line in the County Court. This is the lowest ever amount and the only company to try to defend. I am disappointed not to meet them in court but I could not pursue any further when they offered the full amount.

My advice is to follow the complaints procedure and demand all the evidence against you. I suspect everyone on here accidently hit a banner and got signed up via an auto redirect without their knowledge or consent. Most of us get some many spam texts we block them. This company thrives on this. Once you have exhausted the complaints procedure you should send a letter before action demanding return of the full amount within 14 days or court proceedings. You will need to work out how much is owed. If they do not reply Money Claim on line only costs £25 and you get it back if you win. You cannot have costs ordered against you unless your behaviour is unreasonable e.g. refusing to answer letters etc.
    • Major79
    • By Major79 5th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Major79
    They're still at it!

Noticed I had a charge of £3.75 on my bill. It was listed as "Other EE Service". I had no idea what it could be. Then when I checked back, saw that I've been charged this fee weekly since April 26th!

I spoke to EE's "Live Chat" helper. He told me that he would stop the charge and gave me the name of the company. Basically told me it was up to me to contact Buongiorno for a refund.

He said I have to wait up to 72 hours for EE to send me an email with Buongiorno's details on, then I can contact them for a refund.

It was only afterwards when I did a search on Buongiorno that I found out that this has been an issue for many years. I've seen complaints as far back as 2012.

How can EE justify the fact that they're letting this happen to their Customers? It's shocking.

If they can block these payments so quickly then surely they can prevent them?

It's scandalous that they can allow this to show on our bill as "Other EE Service".
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Jun 17, 11:10 PM
    • 32,758 Posts
    • 20,629 Thanks
    DCFC79
    They're still at it!

Noticed I had a charge of £3.75 on my bill. It was listed as "Other EE Service". I had no idea what it could be. Then when I checked back, saw that I've been charged this fee weekly since April 26th!

I spoke to EE's "Live Chat" helper. He told me that he would stop the charge and gave me the name of the company. Basically told me it was up to me to contact Buongiorno for a refund.

He said I have to wait up to 72 hours for EE to send me an email with Buongiorno's details on, then I can contact them for a refund.

It was only afterwards when I did a search on Buongiorno that I found out that this has been an issue for many years. I've seen complaints as far back as 2012.

How can EE justify the fact that they're letting this happen to their Customers? It's shocking.

If they can block these payments so quickly then surely they can prevent them?

It's scandalous that they can allow this to show on our bill as "Other EE Service".
    Originally posted by Major79
    What had you signed upto to be charged that amount ?

Ive been with EE for a few years then T Mobile before that and Orange before that and not had Buongiorno appear on my account.
    • EmmyLouLou1
    • By EmmyLouLou1 19th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EmmyLouLou1
    BGames
    Hi,
    I've been subjected to this scam too. As with others, EE are not interested. I called them when I received the very first text from BGames and was told by their customer services representative that no money was being taken from my account, NOT to send "STOP", because that was the scam. I was told to ignore it.
    Anyway, I've continued to receive the text from BGames, but ignored them as advised.
    I (similar to a poster above) an eligible for an upgrade. I looked st my bill for comparison purposes and discovered that I had indeed been charged. I called EE and was given the full company name, but no contact details. EE told me they could not help and that in order to manage my expectations, BGames will not be able to help either. Undeterred, I contacted them anyway. They have replied, asking for a PDF copy of my bill. They specifically say they will not be able to help unless I provide this. I'm absolutely not going to provide them with a copy of my bill, with more of my private information on it, since they have misused the small bit of information they had about me (which I never gave them).
    Any advice, please? I've been spurred on by some of the successes here and don't intend to give up. It's been going on for over a year and I've been charged £6.00 a month all that time- and I know I never signed up and have never used any of their services.... thanks.
    • Louisdf
    • By Louisdf 19th Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    Louisdf
    EE does not have any influence on third party companies, the best course of action is to pursue the company directly.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 20th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 9,176 Posts
    • 6,876 Thanks
    pmduk
    You were given inaccurate advice by EE. The way to stop these texts is to send the word STOP.
    • thesmellymelly
    • By thesmellymelly 23rd Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thesmellymelly
    refund request
    Hi,
    Will you be able to tell me how you got a refund. I'm about to embark on a massive fight to try and get my weekly charges (from 2016) refunded.
    Thanks.
    • thesmellymelly
    • By thesmellymelly 23rd Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thesmellymelly
    bill requested
    Hi
    did you get anywhere with this. I'm in the same boat.
    • Ru4497
    • By Ru4497 13th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ru4497
    I am looking to take on B games also. I have been charged weekly since 2015.
    They have so far offered me a 50% refund but I am incensed that this is even legal. Through their correspondence I can see that they confident in their position in law.

I want a 100% refund

Surely something can be done about this company?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 9,176 Posts
    • 6,876 Thanks
    pmduk
    Talk to your MP, the Telecoms regulator, Ofcom is useless. The whole system needs an overhaul
    • traceybez
    • By traceybez 30th May 18, 2:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    traceybez
    B.Games refund-need advice
    Hi, I have just noticed on my sons phone bill extra charges 'third party' which is being taken out every Tuesday !! I rang EE and they told me it was Buongiorno games. In short my son must have looked at Bgames in 2013 when he was only 15 and the have been taking money from his phone account every since... I KNOW WHAT YOUR ALL THINKING.. DO i NOT CHECK THE PHONE BILLS.. well I check online banking more and see his bill is over every month but thought it was picture messaging etc. not a subscription for games. You can not imagine how much I am kicking myself right now for not noticing this FOR ALMOST 5 YEARS.... Anyway I have read a lot of posts on here and have used a couple of responses to reply to BGames , they offered me £3.96 with a standard letter, then £123.75 on second email with standard letter which many of you have received. Now they have sent me this letter

We would like to thank you for your patience in this matter and for allowing us the time to thoroughly investigate your complaint. We understand that this situation may have been frustrating for you.

Below, we have provided a full breakdown of your case which includes:
    • a summary of your complaint;
    • the actions taken by Buongiorno;
    • the findings of our investigation; and
    • our final conclusions.
    In addition, to ensure complete transparency in this matter, we have also attached a copy of the information that we requested as part of our investigation to ensure a thorough assessment could be conducted. We have also included a copy of our complaints procedure for your perusal.

Attached you will find the following:
    • the complete consumer journey including the banner advertisement and joining page;
    • a copy of all the messages sent to your handset throughout your subscription;
    • a copy of the full Terms and Conditions for the B!Games service; and
    • a copy of our complaints procedure.
    Please note – the attached Terms and Conditions may vary from those presented to you on 10th August 2013 when your mobile number was subscribed.

Summary of Complaint
    It is our understanding that you dispute signing up to the B!Games service on the 10th August 2013 or agreeing to the charges applied to your mobile phone bill. It is also our understanding that you deny having accessed the service on the dates stipulated by our consumer support and escalations team.

Actions Taken
    Our consumer support team wrote to you in response to your initial enquiry providing you with key details of your subscription including the period of your free trial, the name of the service, the date your mobile number was subscribed as well as the make and model of the handset recorded by our systems. In addition to this, they also offered to refund you the first month of your subscription totalling £3.96.

As you were not satisfied with this amount the matter was later escalated and a more detailed explanation of the subscription process was sent to you on 23rd May 2018 by our escalations team. Although their findings were concurrent with those of our consumer support team they advised that in the interests of good customer service and best practice, they would be happy to increase the original refund offer to £123.75 .

As the matter remains unresolved, your enquiry has now been escalated to the investigations team for further assessment.

Findings
    Having assessed all of the information we have on file, including the additional information requested as outlined above, we can now confirm our findings with you.

It is evident, having thoroughly reviewed our records, that a genuine subscription to the B!Games service was recorded on 10th August 2013 from the mobile number 0********** .It is clear that the subscription included a free trial period allowing the user to access the service for 1 day completely free of charge. It is also clear that in-line with current UK regulations, a welcome message was sent to the handset informing the user of the 1 day free trial and the cost of the service after this period had expired.

In terms of the consumer journey and what was presented at the time the subscription was activated, it is clear that in order for the service to be initiated the user of the handset would have had to click the “Play Now” button to confirm their subscription. It is also evident that clear wording regarding the free trial period was presented on the joining page and in close proximity to where the “Play Now” button is placed. The Terms and Conditions of the service were also clearly visible.

Furthermore, we note that the make and model of the handset was captured by our systems, indicating that your handset was, at some point, directed to the B!Games joining page.

For the avoidance of doubt, we have detailed this information below.
    Handset: iPhone

Conclusions
    Taking into consideration the points raised in your complaint and all that has been outlined above, we are unable to identify any cause or reason as to how your subscription to the B!Games service could have been activated by any other method, other than that detailed in our findings and as illustrated in the attached consumer journey.

In addition, the attached message logs indicate that all messages required to be sent were delivered to your handset and that all the information to enable you to make an informed decision as to whether to continue with the service, prior and after the free trial period, was provided in these messages.

While we understand your reasons for deleting or otherwise disregarding the messages, Buongiorno cannot be held responsible, if as a result, you remained unaware of the cost of the service or how to cancel your subscription.

The issue of not receiving these messages is a matter you would need to discuss with your mobile network provider. Buongiorno is required under current UK regulations to send these messages to its consumers, however, it is your mobile network who confirms receipt that these messages were delivered.

While we appreciate that you consider the charges applied to your mobile phone bill to be unsolicited, our escalations team informed you that Buongiorno do not have the facility to apply charges to your mobile phone bill unless an active response is received from your handset. In addition, our findings along with the supporting documents, demonstrate the steps that you, or another user of the handset, would have completed in order to subscribe to the service. They also highlight that Buongiorno, in-line with current UK regulations and guidelines, took every necessary measure to ensure you remained aware that your mobile number was subscribed to the B!Games service and how you could opt out.

We therefore conclude that the subscription to B!Games was initiated as a result of a genuine request. We also conclude that Buongiorno provided you with ample opportunity to cancel the subscription during the free trial period, prior to any charges being applied, as well as after it had expired. We believe we have been open and cooperative in this matter and that our offer to refund you £123.75 is fair and proportionate.

We understand that at this stage of your enquiry you may wish to refer your complaint to an independent body. If you haven’t already done so, you can refer your complaint to the Phone-Paid Services Authority (PSA). Their service is independent and free to use and as the UK regulator for content goods and services charged to a phone bill, they can offer support and advice regarding complaints of this nature. The PSA also has the authority to look further into these complaints; and in cases where a provider is found to be operating in breach of the PSA Code of Practice, they can impose a variety of sanctions.

Please take the time to look through their website prior to contacting them.
    What should I do now, can anyone help/advise on how to proceed.
    Thanks
    • nwc389
    • By nwc389 30th Jun 18, 4:30 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    nwc389
    Another victim here .
    I have a contract with EE for two phones , one for me and one for my husband . While we were on holiday he mentioned he was sick of spam texts and showed me B!Games text saying he was being charged . We managed to sign into the account and realised it had been going on for months maybe longer as I couldn!!!8217;t get a proper look at the account. I texted STOP to the number as soon as we realised that they weren!!!8217;t just spam .
    Like so many others I feel so stupid that I didn!!!8217;t spot this on the account but he!!!8217;d never mentioned it before as he assumed it was just spam . I!!!8217;m going to try to work out how much it has cost me and send the email, I am so pleased I found this thread !
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 2nd Jul 18, 1:04 PM
    • 9,176 Posts
    • 6,876 Thanks
    pmduk
    You are entitled to ask for Buongiono's evidence that you signed up. EE is not part of any transaction and will hold no relevant information. They're just required to pass the charges on. However, they've recently required companies to obtain a secondary confirmation of signing up by sending you a PIN which you have to enter into the website to prevent 'accidental signups'. Ask Buongiorno if they required such a PIN to be sent to you.

Have a read here:http://payforitsucks.co.uk/ee-payforit-procedures/
    • traceybez
    • By traceybez 3rd Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    traceybez
    full refund
    yes got full refund.
    To Whom It may concern,
    Reference: 1599714

I have taken the time to read your reply and my reply to you is as follows;

Below, YOU have provided a full breakdown of the case in question which includes:
    • a summary of your complaint;
    • the actions taken by Buongiorno;
    • the findings of our investigation; and

• our final conclusions
    AND MY RESPONSES

Summary of Complaint
    YES it is YOUR understanding that I 'Mr B' dispute signing up to the B!Games service on the 10th August 2013 or agreeing to the charges applied to the phone bill 'MY SON's PHONE, HE WAS 15 AT THE TIME'. It is also YOUR understanding that I DO INDEED DENY MY SON having accessed the service on the dates stipulated by YOUR consumer support and escalations team.

Actions Taken
    YOUR consumer support team wrote to ME in response to MY initial enquiry providing ME with key details of 'MY/ HIS (MY SON) APPARENT ' subscription including the period of the free trial, the name of the service, the date 'MY/HIS(MY SON'S) mobile number was subscribed as well as the make and model of the handset recorded by YOUR systems. In addition to this, YOU also offered to refund ME the first month of your subscription totalling £3.96. WHICH IS AN INSULT.

As I WAS NOT satisfied with this amount the matter was later escalated and a more detailed explanation of the subscription process was sent to you on 23rd May 2018 by YOUR escalations team. Although YOUR findings were concurrent with those of YOUR consumer support team they advised that in the interests of good customer service and best practice, they would be happy to increase the original refund offer to £123.75 . BETTER OFFER BUT STILL NOT A FULL REFUND.

"As the matter remains unresolved, your enquiry has now been escalated to the investigations team for further assessment."

Findings
    Having assessed all of the information YOU have on file, including the additional information requested as outlined above, YOU can now confirm YOUR findings with ME.

It is evident, having thoroughly reviewed YOUR records, that ' ACCORDING TO YOU ' a genuine subscription to the B.Games service was recorded on 10th August 2013 from the mobile number 075**** ( JUST WANT CLARIFY AT THIS POINT MY SON WAS ONLY 15 AND NOT AT A LEGAL AGE TO SUBSCRIBE TO ANY SERVICE ) .

YOU SAY ,"It is clear that the subscription included a free trial period allowing the user to access the service for 1 day completely free of charge. It is also clear that in-line with current UK regulations, a welcome message was sent to the handset informing the user of the 1 day free trial and the cost of the service after this period had expired. In terms of the consumer journey and what was presented at the time the subscription was activated, it is clear that in order for the service to be initiated the user of the handset would have had to click the “Play Now” button to confirm their subscription. It is also evident that clear wording regarding the free trial period was presented on the joining page and in close proximity to where the “Play Now” button is placed. The Terms and Conditions of the service were also clearly visible. Furthermore, we note that the make and model of the handset was captured by our systems, indicating that your handset was, at some point, directed to the B!Games joining page.
    For the avoidance of doubt, we have detailed this information below.Handset: iPhone "

AND YOUR "Conclusions" ARE
    "Taking into consideration the points raised in your complaint and all that has been outlined above, we are unable to identify any cause or reason as to how your subscription to the B!Games service could have been activated by any other method, other than that detailed in our findings and as illustrated in the attached consumer journey."

IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH :- Taking into consideration all the points you have outlined above, can you please prove to me my son actually pressed the 'PLAY NOW ' button ' purposely or accidently and show me evidence of proof that he actually played this game by showing me when he logged on and off.

"In addition, the attached message logs indicate that all messages required to be sent were delivered to your handset and that all the information to enable you to make an informed decision as to whether to continue with the service, prior and after the free trial period, was provided in these messages."
    IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH :- I have looked at the message logs and I would like to ask you this, can you prove he opened anyone of those messages?

"While we understand your reasons for deleting or otherwise disregarding the messages, Buongiorno cannot be held responsible, if as a result, you remained unaware of the cost of the service or how to cancel your subscription."
    IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH :- He; my son, was completely unaware he was ' APPARENTLY ' subscribed to BGames ! From 10/08/13 to 23/05/18

"The issue of not receiving these messages is a matter you would need to discuss with your mobile network provider. Buongiorno is required under current UK regulations to send these messages to its consumers, however, it is your mobile network who confirms receipt that these messages were delivered."
    IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH :- He; my son has not denied receiving messages from BGames but assumed it was one of a number of scams designed to access peoples telephone accounts by getting them to respond with the word STOP. Therefore DID NOT open them but deleted them.

"While we appreciate that you consider the charges applied to your mobile phone bill to be unsolicited, our escalations team informed you that Buongiorno do not have the facility to apply charges to your mobile phone bill unless an active response is received from your handset. In addition, our findings along with the supporting documents, demonstrate the steps that you, or another user of the handset, would have completed in order to subscribe to the service. They also highlight that Buongiorno, in-line with current UK regulations and guidelines, took every necessary measure to ensure you remained aware that your mobile number was subscribed to the B!Games service and how you could opt out."
    IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH :- YOU DID NOT TAKE EVERY NECESSARY MEASURE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE MOBILE PHONE ACCOUNT OWNER/ BILL PAYER, ME 'MR BESWICK' WAS AWARE OF THESE CHARGES.

"We therefore conclude that the subscription to B!Games was initiated as a result of a genuine request. We also conclude that Buongiorno provided you with ample opportunity to cancel the subscription during the free trial period, prior to any charges being applied, as well as after it had expired. We believe we have been open and cooperative in this matter and that our offer to refund you £123.75 is fair and proportionate."
    IN RESPONSE TO YOUR CONCLUSION, I REITERATE, I 'MR BESWICK' WOULD LIKE A FULL REFUND.

MY CONCLUSION I conclude that on the 09/08/13 my son, who was only 15 years old received his very first Iphone and was completely unaware how to use it properly, so for you to say that the subscription was triggered by a 'PLAY NOW BUTTON' is totally immoral and deceptive to any child and you as a company should have better rules in place for situations like this. I can see from many internet searches that there has been a problem regarding third party fees/ subscribing issues from as early as 2009, many people are angered from this as am I. I am not 'trying to get one over on you' I am genuine when I say he/ my son did not subscribe knowingly or willingly and am outraged at the fact that this company has been charging ME for a game/games that have not been accessed.
    I would like to see proof of all activity in relation to the game my son has supposedly been playing for the past 5 years, if he has indeed been playing this game as you state, there will be proof of logging on and off your systems.

BGames have essentially stolen money from me Mr B the bill payer of the phone number in question, and as such am requesting a full refund on the 'said' subscription I or MY SON DID NOT SIGN UP FOR.
    • nwc389
    • By nwc389 26th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    nwc389
    An update , I have got a full refund (over £200) from buongiorno.
    They initially offered £6 , on second email offered half and then said the dispute was deadlocked. They seemed awfully keen that I took my complaint to PSA even though in a tiny paragraph at the bottom of the email they mentioned they weren’t part of the scheme and not even bound by it !
    Basically I disputed that I had knowingly joined and that therefore the texts they kept sending were meaningless to me as I was unaware that I had been signed up to anything.
    When it came to the deadlock email I said I wouldn’t be wasting my time contacting PSA as buongiorno weren’t part of the scheme and that I was more than happy to go to the small claims court . I was just about to fill out the court forms a few days later when an email came through with a ‘goodwill ‘ full refund .
    This was paid via PayPal.
    No one should accept anything other than the full amount they have been charged and also don’t bother with PSA as they don’t have any control over buongiorno and also from my research they aren’t interested either .
    I have complained to EE as I really think they should be doing something about this but as yet this is unresolved.
    • MikeyMcP
    • By MikeyMcP 21st Sep 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeyMcP
    It’s happened to me too!!!
    I am in exactly the same position and understand I am owed £300. EE being totally useless and Buongiorno total crooks. I’m going back and forth with them but will definitely be taking some of the advice offered on this thread.
    • MikeyMcP
    • By MikeyMcP 21st Sep 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeyMcP
    Might be better if you offered constructive help or simply didn’t say anything Mr ‘I’ve got time to log in an check a mobile phone bill every month smartypants’.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

3,639Users online

Martin's Twitter