Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 33,878Posts
    • 40,012Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 90
    • Jo Twickers
    • By Jo Twickers 12th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jo Twickers
    I have Netflix but not on my tv. Thinking about it tho, I pay 7.99 a month for that and I think it!!!8217;s free with VM so both sky and NF or VM will both cost 60 a month. Sky was 18 month contract only
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have Netflix but not on my tv. Thinking about it tho, I pay 7.99 a month for that and I think it!!!8217;s free with VM so both sky and NF or VM will both cost 60 a month. Sky was 18 month contract only
    Originally posted by Jo Twickers
    Phone them up and stop the cancellation on the BB/LR, then find a better deal at:

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/
    or
    https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/packages/

If your TV has the Netflix app you can just log in or get something like an Amazon Fire TV stick.
    • Jo Twickers
    • By Jo Twickers 12th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jo Twickers
    I don't have a smart tv, only my daughter really watches netflix on her phone/tablet. Is there any way I can have it on my tv?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 18, 4:59 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I don't have a smart tv, only my daughter really watches netflix on her phone/tablet. Is there any way I can have it on my tv?
    If your TV doesn't have USB inputs then for 69.99 you can get an Amazon Fire TV box which plugs into a HDMI port on the telly, there's multiple Freeview boxes (is it Freeview you use or Freesat?) that will do similar. The 7.99 Netflix sub lets you watch on two simultaneous screens at once so that's fine.
    • Jo Twickers
    • By Jo Twickers 12th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jo Twickers
    Thanks, I'll have a look into all that tonight :-)
    • Jo Twickers
    • By Jo Twickers 13th Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jo Twickers
    I!!!8217;m really annoyed with Sky! Is it worth calling to complain? I don!!!8217;t think that!!!8217;s fair to up my bill by 9 a month for the same but without kids tv. Plus 18 instead of 12 months contract. Is it worth a last try? Any advice?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 13th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    I'm really annoyed with Sky! Is it worth calling to complain? I don't think that's fair to up my bill by 9 a month for the same but without kids tv. Plus 18 instead of 12 months contract. Is it worth a last try? Any advice?
    You don't have any grounds to complain. And if you complain they haven't offered you a better deal, then they will know that you were just fishing for one in the first place, if they don't already. The best deals come to people who Sky genuinely think they will lose as customers. For whatever reason, they don't seem to think you are in that catagory.

Of course it isn't fair. What would be fair would be everyone who has Sky paying the advertised price. So no deals for anyone. The 53 they have offered you is still cheaper than a new customer deal, so that's not really fair on new customers.

Have often have you spoken to them in the last 4 weeks? You may find you're going to have to get cut off to get the better deals now. I don't know if it's still the case, but have you checked My Sky through the website, TV and app? They used to put deals on there as well.

• Duggz0r
    • By Duggz0r 14th Jul 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Duggz0r
    Mega deal
    Got to post this guys!

So a few days ago I decided to cancel my sky account to get the best deal I could from them. After a couple of offers (55 for Entertainment, HD, Kids Channels, Box Sets, Fibre Unlimited and Line Rental), I finally received a phone call from the 'overseas' department of retentions.

The gentleman who called me, was in such a rush to get me to agree to stay with them, he accidentally offered all of the above for 36 per month...

Naturally I jumped at the offer, after getting him to confirm verbally, twice, that it did indeed include broadband and line rental.

A couple of hours later, I decided to check my emails, only to find that he put the offer through incorrectly, my grand total was going to be 58 per month. Luckily I jumped straight on the phone, spoke to one of their UK based operators, got them to listen to the call and now I'm paying 38 per month! Couldn't argue about 2! All on a 12 month contract too!

Happy flippin days!
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 15th Jul 18, 5:55 AM
    • 978 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    shaggy
    Got to post this guys!

So a few days ago I decided to cancel my sky account to get the best deal I could from them. After a couple of offers (55 for Entertainment, HD, Kids Channels, Box Sets, Fibre Unlimited and Line Rental), I finally received a phone call from the 'overseas' department of retentions.

The gentleman who called me, was in such a rush to get me to agree to stay with them, he accidentally offered all of the above for 36 per month...

Naturally I jumped at the offer, after getting him to confirm verbally, twice, that it did indeed include broadband and line rental.

A couple of hours later, I decided to check my emails, only to find that he put the offer through incorrectly, my grand total was going to be 58 per month. Luckily I jumped straight on the phone, spoke to one of their UK based operators, got them to listen to the call and now I'm paying 38 per month! Couldn't argue about 2! All on a 12 month contract too!

Happy flippin days!
    Originally posted by Duggz0r
    A great offer!
    • gunner786
    • By gunner786 16th Jul 18, 4:00 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gunner786
    Got offered sky entertainment, box sets, kids & hd for 18. Took it
    • centaurandrew
    • By centaurandrew 23rd Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    centaurandrew
    Just got offered the entertainment package, HD, phone and unlimited broadband for 43 per month. Wasn't impressed so cancelled. Will see if they offer anything in the notice period
    • djdk
    • By djdk 24th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djdk
    So I've been on a pretty good deal for the past 2.5 years, 50% off telly (everything) with free line rental and BB so ~43 per month. Now thats coming to an end and I need to upgrade to fibre to accomodate working from home, so far have been offered the following...

Fibre Ulimited - 6.01 18 months

Line Rental - 11.39 12 months
    Talk Extra - 2.00 12 months

Entertainment 20
    HD 1
    Box Sets 1
    Kids 1
    Sports 10
    Cinema 10

All for 18 months with Sports HD Free for 12 (then full price)

So just under 20 quid for Fibre and talk for a year, if i can persuade them to extend the line rental and talk offers to finish with the bb offer i feel like thats a good deal, but Im less sure about the telly. What do people think?
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 24th Jul 18, 5:23 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 2,650 Thanks
    Terry98
    You look like you have a good deal on the line rental/fibre but are they allowed to offer you different contract lengths in view of this ruling in 2016 https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/broadband/asa-broadband-pricing ?

I have been offered 11 for Entertainment but 14.50 for all Sports channels but I left a couple of months ago.I would have thought they could improve the Entertainment price for you but you might have to threaten cancellation.
    • stuartmck
    • By stuartmck 24th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    stuartmck
    Sky TV turned off yesterday.

Live chat offered:
    Line rental, Fibre Unlimited, Entertainment & HD for 33.40 a month on a 12 month contract.
    Grabbed it.
    In need of a new signature!
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 26th Jul 18, 9:01 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Space Captain
    My standard Sky broadband unlimited is OK but am considering moving to fibre when I haggle next month.
    Is Sky Fibre unlimited any good ?
    • STPE
    • By STPE 27th Jul 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    STPE
    Changing broadband provider
    I think I'm paying through the nose for my Virgin bundle of TV, Broadband, landline and Tivo box. My question is, does anyone know what happens when you switch providers? Does the TV box go and if not, does it still work with another provider?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 27th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My standard Sky broadband unlimited is OK but am considering moving to fibre when I haggle next month.
    Is Sky Fibre unlimited any good ?
    Originally posted by Space Captain
    Depends on your definition of "good". As long as it works and you're fairly near to a cabinet all fibre should be the same barring customer service perhaps and of course price. Sky don't seem to be particularly bothered about retaining current customers at the moment for some reason. NowTV, despite being owned by Sky, will treat you as a new customer and they have their 20 a month deal on again, you also receive the re-badged Sky Q router which although only having 2 LAN ports (not a problem for the majority I'd have thought) is pretty decent.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 27th Jul 18, 9:31 AM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I think I'm paying through the nose for my Virgin bundle of TV, Broadband, landline and Tivo box. My question is, does anyone know what happens when you switch providers? Does the TV box go and if not, does it still work with another provider?
    Originally posted by STPE
    Virgin are the only ones who can use their cable system. If you switch ,you will have to go with one of the providers who use BT's infrastructure for broadband and phone.

You can get TV either thru these providers (a mixture of Freeview via an aerial and streamed stuff) or go with Sky via Dish.
    Virgin will want all their equipment back ie Tivo box and cable modem/router.
    Your best bet is to try to haggle with Virgin to get a better deal under the threat of cancellation.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 28th Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    shaggy
    In this day and age I would think sky would at least try and be a bit more competitive with Netflix and amazon prime. Viewing habits have changed and since cancelling sky in April I've not missed it at all. I find a combination o d amazon and Netflix will give u all the TV and movies you're likely to want - sky movies these days is rubbish and better stuff on Netflix and amazon anyway.

The only things I miss from sky are the odd sports and westworld / game of thrones. That's the obky thing keeping them from going under in my opinion
    • Dan_chez
    • By Dan_chez 30th Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dan_chez
    Good or bad?
    Hi all,

I've not haggled at all with my deal so I'm thinking it may not be too good? I left sky within the last 12 months but now moved house pretty much rushed into this over the phone...

Fibre max broadband
    Entertainment
    HD
    Sky Sports HD
    Sky Q UHD box
    1 mini box
    Box sets
    Phone line
    82 per month for 18 months. Still in my cooling off period so having second thoughts atm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,995Posts Today

8,632Users online

Martin's Twitter