Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 33,825Posts
    • 39,959Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 83
    • Lenaldo
    • By Lenaldo 17th May 18, 4:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Lenaldo
    If the chat option isn't there, delete all the cookies relating to the Sky website.

I had the same problem and once i deleted the cookies, the chat option button "magically" re-appeared!

Someone cynical might suggest that Sky do this to ensure you call and they can harangue you but i couldn't possibly say that...
    • planetf1
    • By planetf1 17th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    planetf1
    Sigh. Sky were a headache to deal with. I figured I wanted to take up a deal I'd been offered last week, but in the process I was told I'd have to uncancel to go back to retentions. Now of course retentions are saying I have to go to winback, so have reinstated the cancelation (as they can't get even close). I couldn't even get the mailed-in offer I received 2 days ago in the post since my cancelation was no longer pending ...

I gave up waiting for the email, I may well just go with the next decent offer.

One question though -- whilst I can get offers, all except one (which I have no written notes on as it was a outbound phone call) were on condition of moving to the new entertainment pack (+hd, sports, boxed sets). Nothing wrong for now but I'm concerned leaving the f1 legacy pack isn't a good long term move. Currently the only sport I watch is f1.

What do people think? Are offers still possible on the hd/f1 legacy or have the finally clamped down on that?

It looks as if whilst Variety/HD/f1 on the old pack is 46.50 pcm
    Entertainment+sports+hd is 50 for a new customer (but that includes a 5pcm discount on Entertainment, 8 or so on sports, making the full price closer to 60.

So the dilemma is if should skip any offers persuading me to switch bundles, even paying full rate as long term it's better. Any thoughts? Or if I move to the new packages is a smallish discount (enough to offset the difference) fairly easy to get each year?

Opinions welcome. I need to close out on this!

Update: My re-cancelation came through. Full price on the new bundle setup looks like 64 (17 more), web discount is 35.50 (so 11 less than now)
    Last edited by planetf1; 17-05-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 18th May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    They won't care. At the moment you won't get any cheaper than around 16 a month for entertainment package
    Originally posted by shaggy
    I've just had an email through for 13 a month (+1 HD/boxsets)

No word on extra packages in the email
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 18th May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    They won't care. At the moment you won't get any cheaper than around 16 a month for entertainment package
    Originally posted by shaggy
    I've just had an email through for 13 a month (+1 HD/boxsets)

No word on extra packages in the email
    Originally posted by jammerr
    Asked about Sports etc

Basically I'm being offered 50% off pm on a 12 month contract.

Have turned it down for now
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 19th May 18, 3:50 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    shaggy
    Asked about Sports etc

Basically I'm being offered 50% off pm on a 12 month contract.

Have turned it down for now
    Originally posted by jammerr
    That's actually not bad given the current offers. How much oer mint is 50 percent off?
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 1st Jun 18, 8:29 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    I've just had a shock when I looked at my bank statement. I have boxsets + SkySports + SkySportsHD. I was paying 33.75/month but my statement now says they've taken 63.82 this month and on my Sky account it says it will go up to 73.50 next month !!

Now I knew I was on a 50% off deal but my contract renewal time (even though I'm not on a contract) is normally around September. Can they just put it up without informing me - especially when it's effectively doubling in price? (they can do anything they want you're probably going to say)

Anybody think I'm likely to get the same 50% off deal again. I'm going to try a "chat" with the cancellations this morning.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Jun 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I've just had a shock when I looked at my bank statement. I have boxsets + SkySports + SkySportsHD. I was paying 33.75/month but my statement now says they've taken 63.82 this month and on my Sky account it says it will go up to 73.50 next month !!

Now I knew I was on a 50% off deal but my contract renewal time (even though I'm not on a contract) is normally around September. Can they just put it up without informing me - especially when it's effectively doubling in price? (they can do anything they want you're probably going to say)

Anybody think I'm likely to get the same 50% off deal again. I'm going to try a "chat" with the cancellations this morning.
    Originally posted by DonnySaver
    I'm just going to paraphrase myself here

You don't have a contract renewal time, it's just the end of your last
    discount and you're now on full price on a rolling monthly contract. Sky do give you access to future bills.

This isn't a price increase across the board (RPI type of rise) so they're not obliged to tell you and it's not a "doubling in price" so much as your 50% is finished, is it so shocking that you're expected to manage your affairs?

The only thing you can do (which you've started) is to ask for a better deal
    If you normally try for a better deal around September then I'd guess your last deal was for 18 months rather than 12? Why didn't you check last September?

Whether you'll get 50% again is going to be down to how much hard ball you can play, a scheduled cancellation is going to be your starting point.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 1st Jun 18, 8:48 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Boohoo

Yes they can put it up without telling you.
    It sound like you may only have had a 9 or 10 month discount as you will be paying full whack from July which will make it 10 months from September.
    Sky are not good at offering good discounts now and hve not been offering great deals for a few months now so you will have to cancel and let it go off for a few months before you get a better deal.
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 1st Jun 18, 9:06 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    I suspect you could be right Boohoo.

Do Sky still do live "chat". I can only see Facebook messenger options and an option to leave your phone number & email address and they will get back in touch..

Think I also need to look at other options such as NOW TV - anyone got this - is it ok? What are the pitfalls compared to SkyTV? eg does it do HD?.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 1st Jun 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    brewerdave

Think I also need to look at other options such as NOW TV - anyone got this - is it ok? What are the pitfalls compared to SkyTV? eg does it do HD?.

I had Now TV Entertainment package for 12 months because I had 2 * 6 month passes supplied "free" with cheap old spec.boxes, which I'd picked up as insurance whilst "negotiating" new discounted deal with Sky.

I let it lapse because a) couldn't record and we prefer to store up series for two or three weeks to watch b) not true HD ( piccie not as good as ex Sky HD+ box) and c) not as wide a selection of channels as old Variety package on Sky.
    HOWEVER if I hadn't been able to get a good Sky deal I would probably have renewed especially as it seems quite easy to get a good renewal price with Now TV!!
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 1st Jun 18, 1:18 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    After 3 hours on chat window and a very hard haggle I've decided to accept Entertainment package in HD and all Sky Sports channels in HD for 38/month on a 18 month contract.

Can't say I'm thrilled but when compared against the price of the same package with NOW TV it actually works out cheaper.

I was told that SKY don't do 12 month TV subscriptions anymore. I tried to bundle in Fibre broadband to help the deal but they just quoted me full price for that.

I've been haggling with SKY for years and this time was definately the toughest time yet. I pushed and pushed for 35/month on a 12 month deal but given a definate "No" every time of trying.

I still have a 30 days cooling off period so I can still ditch it if I want to.
    Last edited by DonnySaver; 01-06-2018 at 1:24 PM.
    • td_100
    • By td_100 1st Jun 18, 1:36 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    td_100
    Todays Sky Deal
    Over 19 years as a Sky customer, I have been on Sky Q for a while now but my bills were creeping up, just been offered

Sky Entertainment
    Sky Box sets
    Sky HD
    Broadband U/L Fibre
    Anytime Phone with Line Rental
    They Removed Sky Q Multiscreen (I dont really use it, normally 12)

53.99 pm

How does this compare?
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 1st Jun 18, 1:55 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    Over 19 years as a Sky customer, I have been on Sky Q for a while now but my bills were creeping up, just been offered

Sky Entertainment
    Sky Box sets
    Sky HD
    Broadband U/L Fibre

53.99 pm

How does this compare?
    Originally posted by td_100
    Well, Sky Fibre unlimited is 38.99/month so I think you've got yourself a good deal there. I got offerered nothing like that other than sob stories of how Sky were struggling to give offers due to all the money they've spent on sports contracts!
    • td_100
    • By td_100 1st Jun 18, 2:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    td_100
    You really have to put in a cancellation. They will always call just before the cancellation date, you will then get the best deal
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Jun 18, 3:29 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Sky Entertainment
    Sky Box sets
    Sky HD
    Broadband U/L Fibre

53.99 pm

How does this compare?
    Originally posted by td_100
    Well, Sky Fibre unlimited is 38.99/month so I think you've got yourself a good deal there.
    Sky UL fibre is offered to anyone at 30 (despite their 38.99 headline price).

Entertainment - 20
    Boxsets - 5
    HD - 5
    Broadband U/L Fibre - 30
    Anytime Phone - 8

Equals 68 so you're saving 14 a month (252 over an 18 month contract) so if you're happy with that then that's all that matters. It really is pointless comparing it to anybody else as you'll only send yourself daft going over it.
    • PeeeL
    • By PeeeL 1st Jun 18, 11:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PeeeL
    My wife has been with sky over 7 years and never did haggle with Sky. We are now paying over 130. All is in her name what made it hard for me to deal with it the last few years, but decided to look in to this now as I am just feel like throwing money away. We are currently out of any contracts, the last contract we did was for upgrading broadband because I am working from home and need a stable and good connection.

First offer so far 118.99 a month.

Entertainment pack at 20 a month with a contract of 18 months. The current variety pack will be replaced by the entertainment pack. (Currently we pay for the variety pack: 33.50)
    Sports pack 8 a month off on it for 18 months. (Currently we pay for the sports pack: 28.00)
    And could reduce more with broadband costs but had to phone for that couldn't be arranged in the chat.

This offer was for: Current channels + box sets + Hd channels + fibre unlimited+line rental + Multi screen.

So far did decline this offer, next step would be to see if they will price match any other offers (like virgin vip) or to threat with cancelling.
    • cjp2k
    • By cjp2k 2nd Jun 18, 6:55 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cjp2k
    My fibre and phone discount ends next month.. Looking at the latest posts sky are not as flexible as they once were currently paying 69.25 for

sky q silver multi room
    Movies
    Sports
    Full Box sets
    Fibre unlimited
    Line rental

I have 50% off tv until 2021 apparently so thats all good
    Currently have free line rental and a 7.50 discount on the fibre

I can see the price of the fibre and line rental going up and no discount
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Jun 18, 8:49 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    @Peeel & @cjp2k

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the TV & BB packages are combined, you can leave one without affecting the other. You would have thought they'd want to keep you on both but Sky seem to be making hard to do that at the moment. I would call them and give your reason for the call as "Retentions" as the chat system can only do deals for one or the other.

@Peeel

You don't "threaten to cancel", you actually do it once they've made their first derisory offer. (TV, not BB as you'll lose your phone number and perhaps rack up other charges).

Edit: check out https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ & https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ for the best TV and/or BB choices first.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 2nd Jun 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    brewerdave
    After 3 hours on chat window and a very hard haggle I've decided to accept Entertainment package in HD and all Sky Sports channels in HD for 38/month on a 18 month contract.

Are you sure that the discount applies for the whole 18 months? Not long ago, Sky were doing 18 month "deals" - but with the last 6 months at full price
    If the discount lasts for the full 18 months ,can't really see the advantages to Sky ! Surely better to only give 12 month discount deal.
    • davejura
    • By davejura 2nd Jun 18, 10:04 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davejura
    Haggling
    Just spent 20 minutes on the phone attempting to haggle. We are currently on the old variety pack which we had for 16 on a rolling contract. It's now gone up to 21.77, and i couldn't get her to go below 20 for the entertainment pack plus kids. I have cancelled so will see what happens!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,514Posts Today

9,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin