Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 33,023Posts
    • 38,588Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 76
    • sundawg
    • By sundawg 13th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sundawg
    After committing to a full cancel and having my service disconnected, I received a call from Sky with an offer of 2TB Sky Q, Sky Q mini, free install, and the full package with HD for 52pm for 18 months. Was happy with this and took it!
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 13th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    shaggy
    After committing to a full cancel and having my service disconnected, I received a call from Sky with an offer of 2TB Sky Q, Sky Q mini, free install, and the full package with HD for 52pm for 18 months. Was happy with this and took it!
    Originally posted by sundawg
    that seems expensive? Whats the normal price for this package?
    Anyway i just called them to get a deal on my 75% off the full package - paying 18.50 a month for the past year - they got nowhere near that, and it was 41 per month for full package, sports, movies - 26 a month for entertainment + Kids and on 18 month contract plus the dreaded 10 admin fee.

I cancelled and said my goodbyes...

So unless they offer me a better deal within the next month, I'm off sky for as long as it takes

More than happy with Netflix which is a lot lot cheaper. Thanks Sky but no thanks.
    • sundawg
    • By sundawg 13th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sundawg
    that seems expensive? Whats the normal price for this package?
    Anyway i just called them to get a deal on my 75% off the full package - paying 18.50 a month for the past year - they got nowhere near that, and it was 41 per month for full package, sports, movies - 26 a month for entertainment + Kids and on 18 month contract plus the dreaded 10 admin fee.

I cancelled and said my goodbyes...

So unless they offer me a better deal within the next month, I'm off sky for as long as it takes

More than happy with Netflix which is a lot lot cheaper. Thanks Sky but no thanks.
    Originally posted by shaggy
    I think that's quite good considering I have everything now. The package alone would be 84.50 normally, as well as 85 for all the equipement. So I am happy with this
    • StrawberryJam
    • By StrawberryJam 13th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    StrawberryJam
    Sky Chat, ask for Retention Team.
    Just signed up to keep going as per last year with 2017 Boxsets..

2018 I'll pay 41 for 18 month contract.
    Sky Entertainment Pack - 20 (full price 25)
    Complete Sports Pack - 10 (28)
    Cinema - 6 (10)
    Box Sets - 1 (5)
    HD Pack - 1 (6)
    Kids Pack - 1 (5)
    Sports HD Pack - 2 (10)
    Total - 41 per month

Equates to 54% discount from the 89. No chat on here of anything better so just signed up. This was my first offer, and didn't play the cancellation game this year. (forgot Ive got a 10 single admin fee? what ever bull7hit that is)
    Changed times at Sky (takeover by Disney).... (so the 32/m 60% off last year is a distant memory)
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Sky Chat, ask for Retention Team.
    Just signed up to keep going as per last year with 2017 Boxsets..

2018 I'll pay 41 for 18 month contract.
    Sky Entertainment Pack - 20 (full price 25)
    Complete Sports Pack - 10 (28)
    Cinema - 6 (10)
    Box Sets - 1 (5)
    HD Pack - 1 (6)
    Kids Pack - 1 (5)
    Sports HD Pack - 2 (10)
    Total - 41 per month

Equates to 54% discount from the 89. No chat on here of anything better so just signed up. This was my first offer, and didn't play the cancellation game this year. (forgot Ive got a 10 single admin fee? what ever bull7hit that is)
    Changed times at Sky (takeover by Disney).... (so the 32/m 60% off last year is a distant memory)
    Originally posted by StrawberryJam
    That's not bad at all (now), although HD is 5 not 6 and I've come to the conclusion that 20 is actually the full price for Entertainment. You can pay 25 for a rolling monthly contract (you'd not have got the other discounts in your case) but I think the 5 discount is smoke and mirrors from Sky.

Overall though I'd be happy with that deal.
    • mouse10
    • By mouse10 15th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mouse10
    I'm paying 22.37 for Box sets HD, Sports HD on a 12 month contract. The Sports HD is a rolling month contract so can be cancelled with 30 days notice. This is the same deal I had last year, I had to cancel and endure a long live chat conversation to get it!
    Charles J
    • EllasPa
    • By EllasPa 15th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    EllasPa
    So my 60% discount offer just came to an end on my Entertainment package. I was paying 12.80 for the 32 bundle. With the price increase it was going to be 33.50.
    I went on to live chat and was told the retention offers no longer existed but they could re-do the contract for the same bundle. Upshot was the an 18 month contract at 15 + 1 for kids channels = 16 per month. Took a long time on live chat, over an hour, but happy with the outcome.
    There is a 10 admin charge to change the contract however.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 15th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    shaggy
    So my 60% discount offer just came to an end on my Entertainment package. I was paying 12.80 for the 32 bundle. With the price increase it was going to be 33.50.
    I went on to live chat and was told the retention offers no longer existed but they could re-do the contract for the same bundle. Upshot was the an 18 month contract at 15 + 1 for kids channels = 16 per month. Took a long time on live chat, over an hour, but happy with the outcome.
    There is a 10 admin charge to change the contract however.
    Originally posted by EllasPa
    you should have told them you dont agree with admin charge and goodbye! They usually waiver it. A joke rip off and a hidden charge which makes them good money no doubt. There never was an admin charge until very recently! It doesnt cost them 10 to change your package details LOL
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I'm paying 22.37 for Box sets HD, Sports HD on a 12 month contract. The Sports HD is a rolling month contract so can be cancelled with 30 days notice. This is the same deal I had last year, I had to cancel and endure a long live chat conversation to get it!
    Originally posted by mouse10
    If that is for the full Sports pack in HD ,then that is about the best deal I've heard of/read about lately. Must be ~ 70% discount ?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If that is for the full Sports pack in HD ,then that is about the best deal I've heard of/read about lately. Must be ~ 70% discount ?
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I did wonder if that's perhaps just the HD for the Sports channels and they've not included the channels cost (or even actually got the channels )
    • mouse10
    • By mouse10 16th Mar 18, 12:23 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mouse10
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Its the same deal I had last year, and they let me have it for another 12 months. It was 16.37 for Box sets HD and full sports pack, I added Sports HD for 6 a month on a rolling month contract. They would have done the Sports HD for 2 a month but only on an 18 month contract, which I didn't want.
    Charles J
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Its the same deal I had last year, and they let me have it for another 12 months. It was 16.37 for Box sets HD and full sports pack, I added Sports HD for 6 a month on a rolling month contract. They would have done the Sports HD for 2 a month but only on an 18 month contract, which I didn't want.
    Originally posted by mouse10
    That's the 75% off deal!
    You are (I think!) the first person on this forum or DS forums, who has managed to get it rolled over for a further 12 months. I had to work pretty hard to get a 60% deal last October.
    • paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 16th Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    paul2louise
    Are there any cancellations deals like 50% off. If i cancel today as i need to give amonths notice today to cancel.
    I have been offered the following deal today
    15 entertainment
    20 sports
    1 kids

Total 36. Plus this automatic bloody admin fee 10 !!!55357;!!!56865;
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Are there any cancellations deals like 50% off. If i cancel today as i need to give amonths notice today to cancel.
    15 entertainment
    20 sports
    1 kids

Originally posted by paul2louise
    50% off isn't too difficult to achieve, just refuse to pay the admin fee regardless of what they say. I actually start my conversations of with them by stating I will not pay the admin fee as I consider it price gouging.
    • paul2louise
    • By paul2louise 16th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    paul2louise
    15 entertainment
    20 sports
    1 kids

Originally posted by paul2louise
    Further haggling and getting quite stroppy about admin fee and got a further 5 off sports, so 31 month so conceeded and agreed to pay 10 admin fee. Plus being a member of sky for 11years (shock horror) we are now VIP members and get perks apparently for our loyalty

Feel a bit happier now.
    • Len_Beach
    • By Len_Beach 17th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Len_Beach
    Any tips on how to approach the discussion on chat?

I!!!8217;m 13 days away from being disconnected after I spoke to retention!!!8217;s on the phone and they effectively offered me 6 off my 113 package.

Do I go straight in on live chat and ask for retentions?

I want to upgrade to Sky Q and 3 mini boxes but I!!!8217;m thinking of going in low and haggling on the basic package, then securing the cost for each add on.

Thoughts?
    • coalville1973
    • By coalville1973 18th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    coalville1973
    Would advise people to let the service go off and then see if you miss sky enough to want it back.

My service been off since August 2017 and not missed it one bit. just making do with a now tv box which is ideal for catch up. also get cheap passed of ebay.

Also remember you save 100% off your bill if you don't have it
    • spiritus
    • By spiritus 18th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    spiritus
    We currently pay:

Sky TV (Boxed Set package) 38
    Phone line rental 18.99
    Sky Fibre 20.00
    Sky Talk Intl.Extra 12.00

We don't have any movie or sports channels

88.99 in total every month

I rang today to see what they could offer but they would only move on the TV package (offering it for 22 per month with some channels taken off that we don't watch). Absolutely no movement on the phone and broadband OR offered any extra channels at reduced prices.

I advised Retentions that a reduction of 16 a month is not enough for me and I have given them my cancellation notice for TV/Broadband/Phone. Are my expectations unrealistic in hoping for a little more reduction ?

I also find that Sky have a talent for turning a simple request, spinning it around and re-wording it in such a way that when it's presented back to you doesn't sound like anything you asked them in the first place e.g. I asked to cancel all 3 of my services and that I wanted to serve notice. I was told that TV is 31 day cancellation period but phone and broadband is 14 days but as the new provider has to give them 14 days notice then Sky would leave the broadband and phone active for the moment ???

I received an email a bit later confirming my TV would be cancelled but that they were "pleased" to see I was staying with the phone and broadband ???
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Mar 18, 10:49 PM
    • 9,037 Posts
    • 5,386 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I have been without Sky tv since early December and don't miss the programmes; just the ease of the catchup record system as our tv has lost ITV and Channel 4 catchups.

This can be remedied by using the Humax which I have only just dusted off, as recording does away for the majority of catchup needs. Also, I have found that BBC iPlayer gives you access to other area's programmes which you would not see on live tv. (The Keeping Faith series, from Welsh tv, is good)

Since leaving I have had no offers or contact,beyond the 50% offer at cancellation.

Don't cancel phone and broadband, but find another company to take over for you or you will lose your phone number, have to wait for reconnection and may have a cease fee to pay.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I also find that Sky have a talent for turning a simple request, spinning it around and re-wording it in such a way that when it's presented back to you doesn't sound like anything you asked them in the first place e.g. I asked to cancel all 3 of my services and that I wanted to serve notice. I was told that TV is 31 day cancellation period but phone and broadband is 14 days but as the new provider has to give them 14 days notice then Sky would leave the broadband and phone active for the moment ???

I received an email a bit later confirming my TV would be cancelled but that they were "pleased" to see I was staying with the phone and broadband ???
    Originally posted by spiritus
    Believe it or not but Sky have actually done you a favour there and you should thank them for it.

If they cancel your BB/LR not only will you lose your telephone number but you could also incur termination charges for OR shutting down the line AND connection charges with your new supplier for OR once again starting it up. Not all companies charge for both or either of these (I think Sky don't?).

You need to contact your chosen supplier and let them switch it for you.

The price you're paying BTW is atrocious.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin