Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 33,028Posts
    • 38,597Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 75
    • ejv
    • By ejv 27th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ejv
    I had cancelled Sky HD + connection last summer after being with them for few years.

Got an email yesterday with a Unique Offer Code for half price to rejoin Sky Q with 18 months contract.

I've read poor reviews about Sky Q and its touchpad remote. Have they ironed it out now?

I had News & Documentaries during my last connection. Have these been merged to their Entertainment pack? If so, are Euronews, RT news and other world news channels available?
    • Forwandert
    • By Forwandert 27th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    Forwandert
    You don't need to use the touchpad remote with Sky Q you get (or did) when we signed up one of each type. I found the touchpad ok once I got used to the sensitivity not everyone in the household did though so found it easier to use the normal remote.
    • SeeMe
    • By SeeMe 28th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    SeeMe
    It'l be interesting to see if Sky will make her an offer on fibre to retain her or not.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Well she phoned me last night to say she is not going to cancel the offer with sky over the phone, but just to contact vodafone to start the switch as today is the last for the vodafone deal.

Not sure if thats the right way to do it but she says she is well within the cooling off period anyway and out of contract so the switch should be the notice needed.
    • FGdsa21
    • By FGdsa21 28th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    FGdsa21
    sky upgrade offer
    Received notification today that my Sky Variety package would increase in price from 1st April from £32.00 to £33.50. So I logged on to my online Sky page to see if they was offering me any upgrade offers and I came across what looked a good deal, it was on a 'Flash Sale' page and the offer was only available for another 30 hours, it is called 'Sky Sports Deal' inclusive of Sky Sports with HD and Sky Entertainment with HD, 18 month contract £40 a month reduced from £58, and could be redeemed by ringing a given number.

So rang the number and was passed through to 3 different advisors after the first told me they could do the package for £48 and all 3 advisors saying the same £48, I told them that was not acceptable when I had a clear offer on my webpage for £40 but even after talking to a manager they said it would be £48!!! Pointing out to them that trading standards would be informed of this.

Then told to ring retentions tomorrow, it is closed today because of the weather.

Anybody had similar problems with Sky
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Well she phoned me last night to say she is not going to cancel the offer with sky over the phone, but just to contact vodafone to start the switch as today is the last for the vodafone deal.

Not sure if thats the right way to do it but she says she is well within the cooling off period anyway and out of contract so the switch should be the notice needed.
    Originally posted by SeeMe
    I'm not sure if switching supplier will activate her cooling off period, not too many people will accept an offer and then switch. She'll need to watch what she's being charged by Sky.
    • wolf12
    • By wolf12 28th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    wolf12
    My current discount period is coming to an end, currently paying £33 for the full TV package (excluding cinema) with it going up to £74 next month. Didnt have to do much apart from stating that I wanted to keep my current package and didnt want to pay much more than what Im paying right now. Ive just agreed the following deal via live chat

Sky Entertainment £20, each pack £1, HD, box sets and kids. Sports £10, Sports HD £2.

Total £35.

18 month contact

Happy to accept and only took my around 5 mins to agree.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 28th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Zandoni
    My current discount period is coming to an end, currently paying £33 for the full TV package (excluding cinema) with it going up to £74 next month. Didnt have to do much apart from stating that I wanted to keep my current package and didnt want to pay much more than what Im paying right now. Ive just agreed the following deal via live chat

Sky Entertainment £20, each pack £1, HD, box sets and kids. Sports £10, Sports HD £2.

Total £35.

18 month contact

Happy to accept and only took my around 5 mins to agree.
    Originally posted by wolf12
    How long is the deal for? If itís only 12 months youíll be paying the other 6 at full rate.
    • Threepints
    • By Threepints 28th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Threepints
    With six hours to go before cut off yesterday I gave sky a call. No problem at all getting through.

I was out of contract and was on the old family package with box sets for £38 pm.

When I'd originally called 30 days ago they couldn't offer a good deal. Yesterday I came away with :

Sky Entertainment. £15 pm - 12 months
    Sky HD. £3 pm. 12 months
    Sky Q multiscreen. £12 pm. 18 months

Sky Q 2TB box
    Sky Q mini box

Installation of Sky Q was free, should have been £85.

Personally I was happy with this deal.
    • ejv
    • By ejv 28th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ejv

When I'd originally called 30 days ago they couldn't offer a good deal. Yesterday I came away with :

Sky Entertainment. £15 pm - 12 months
    Sky HD. £3 pm. 12 months
    Sky Q multiscreen. £12 pm. 18 months

Sky Q 2TB box
    Sky Q mini box
    Originally posted by Threepints
    Does the "Entertainment" pack include the erstwhile News and Documentaries pack?
    • Threepints
    • By Threepints 28th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Threepints
    Does the "Entertainment" pack include the erstwhile News and Documentaries pack?
    Originally posted by ejv
    It's very easy to look up on the Sky website

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/#!Documentaries-4
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 28th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    Well the Sky+ box packed up tonight. Lost all recorded and kept programmes
    Any suggestions what to go with? Think the box is officially dead, tried all the suggestions listed on sky.
    It's either new box for £200 or engineer for £65..
    End Sep 2016 End Apr 2018
    £8236.57 £0
    (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0(Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm

£5344.50
    £1630.04 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) £140pcm
    £2000.00 [B]£266.71/B] (Sister 0%) £133.33pcm

Total debt
    £19.766.82 £1896.75 Original DFD May 2019.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 28th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 18,827 Thanks
    mije1983
    Well the Sky+ box packed up tonight. Lost all recorded and kept programmes
    Any suggestions what to go with? Think the box is officially dead, tried all the suggestions listed on sky.
    It's either new box for £200 or engineer for £65..
    Originally posted by zippygeorgeandben

Are you still tied in to a minimum term or on a rolling 30 day contract?

If the latter phone up and talk to them. When they say £65 please, say I'll cancel instead. Often the next step is they offer it for £30/£35. Again ask to cancel. Then you can usually get a free visit.

• zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 28th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    Will it say online whether i'm tied in? I know I upgraded to sky fibre max a few months ago, not sure if that meant a 12 month contract, possibly?
    End Sep 2016 End Apr 2018
    £8236.57 £0
    (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0(Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm

£5344.50
    £1630.04 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) £140pcm
    £2000.00 [B]£266.71/B] (Sister 0%) £133.33pcm

Total debt
    £19.766.82 £1896.75 Original DFD May 2019.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 28th Feb 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 18,827 Thanks
    mije1983
    BB and TV should be different.

Usually if you take a discount, change your package or get new equipment they tie you in to a new deal for TV. As far as I know there isn't a way to find out this information online, you will have to talk to Sky to find out if you can't remember.

• wolf12
    • By wolf12 1st Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    wolf12
    How long is the deal for? If itís only 12 months youíll be paying the other 6 at full rate.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    The discount is for the full 18 months.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 3rd Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    shaggy
    If you can't beat them then join them - sky to offer package deals with Netflix on sky Q later in the year. Resorting to desperate tactics to keep prices high and stop customers leaving in droves.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If you can't beat them then join them - sky to offer package deals with Netflix on sky Q later in the year. Resorting to desperate tactics to keep prices high and stop customers leaving in droves.
    Originally posted by shaggy
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803096

And Now TV, although since Netflix is available from multiple sources I'm not quite sure how the rest of your post works in practise.
    • isitenough
    • By isitenough 11th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 5,509 Posts
    • 45,088 Thanks
    isitenough
    If the cancelled service was in ex's name, you could join as a new customer when that has finished and take up any new customer offers?
    Originally posted by Anon
    Well, SKY turned off this morning. I was hoping it would be later this evening but no.So I rang them up, got an English guy this time (after struggling with an Indian call centre last time), after originally being put through to the 'existing customer' part, even though I'd said no to everything they asked!
    Bit peed off that I can't just get a new card, he said I had to have SKY Q - even though I really don't want or need it. I'd be happy with SKY+ but he wouldn't budge so I agreed as I do want SKY. I had to get a Sat appt (at £15 extra) as I can't get a day off during the week and he wouldn't secure an afternoon appt.

One question though, my Freesat (Humax) box is also attached to the dish, as the SKY LNB (?) packed up 6 months ago and we just added the cable to the Humax dish and took the SKY dish down (we weren't in contract and had it 15 yrs). Is it easy just to hook up SKY Q with the Humax one? Should I call them and mention that??

ETA: I did a live chat earlier and they said there is no problem with the dish/humax etc. Also asked about the SKY+ and they said only way is a 2nd hand box (which I already knew about) and to call them after I've got one and they'll 'downgrade' from SKY Q and send out a new card. So I'll do that after I move as not worth it right now. What a bloody palaver though. Surely they have boxes??? Pathetic.
    Last edited by isitenough; 11-03-2018 at 2:02 PM. Reason: to add
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps!
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2018!
    • blackfritz
    • By blackfritz 12th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackfritz
    Sky seem to be playing hardball at the moment. Gave notice of cancellation couple of weeks ago, currently paying £32 for full package - 60% discount. Best they could come up with at that time was just over £50 a month on 18 month contract. Had one phone call in the interim, which I ignored. one e-mail offering £49 a month for 12 month contract. Rang this morning to see what offers are available, and best was again £49 a month for full package. We are away the weekend it switches off, so may just let it cancel and see what transpires in the days after we have left.
    • StrawberryJam
    • By StrawberryJam 12th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    StrawberryJam
    Sky seem to be playing hardball at the moment. Gave notice of cancellation couple of weeks ago, currently paying £32 for full package - 60% discount. Best they could come up with at that time was just over £50 a month on 18 month contract. Had one phone call in the interim, which I ignored. one e-mail offering £49 a month for 12 month contract. Rang this morning to see what offers are available, and best was again £49 a month for full package. We are away the weekend it switches off, so may just let it cancel and see what transpires in the days after we have left.
    Originally posted by blackfritz
    Snap! however £32 per month (60%) has now reverted to £80, and with the new price increases will be £83.50 going forward. I've already paid £80 for the last month (oops, quite a shock to see the jump in cost)

[2017 deal was:
    Boxsets full price £38, was paying £15.20;
    Sky Sports Complete £27.50 was paying £11;
    Sky Cinema £8.50 was paying £3.40;
    Sports HD £6 was paying £2.40]

Want to keep the package, interested to see how you get on.
    2017 prices,
    Full Price was £80,
    60% off is £32 (unlikely to be offered in 2018 by reading this forum),
    50% off is £40/m, and
    40% off is £48/m.
    ..not including the 2018 price increases. Boxset bundle +£1.50 and Sports and Cinema +£2.00
    Last edited by StrawberryJam; 12-03-2018 at 9:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin