Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    • 34,687Posts
    • 40,740Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 8:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 118
    • E30M3
    • By E30M3 8th Jan 19, 3:49 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    E30M3
    First painful 45 mins via the slow live chat...... They said they could replace my current 33.40 sports, movies, hd and box sets package for 70/month. Errrr no!

He said that was the best deal available to him, but I could call the 'values' team.

The expert team you are looking for is available on calls at 03300 413 000. Once you dial the above number please ask for values team and you will get connected to them and one of my colleagues over the phone will assist you further. 08:30am to 8pm

I get the feeling this is going to be a long haul.
    Originally posted by Zarch
    It will be, just cancel, seems to be the easiest route! I was on the phone a few hours in total before just doing that.
    Looking at the above and my latest experience you should be looking at about 78 for everything included...
    Theoretically my entire TV package for everything came out at 38 a month, multiroom 10, Phone/Fibre 30 (overpriced but they did that to bring the TV pack down).
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Jan 19, 4:39 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I thought that they were limited to RPI - because they are seen by many as a necessity...
    They appear to be oblivious to decency and just increase costs willy-nilly
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    What's the "Admin Fee" got to do with RPI? And just because this mythical "many" consider TV and/or BB a necessity doesn't actually make it so.

Big business has never ever equated to "decency" so I've no idea why you'd think they should.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Jan 19, 7:32 PM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    What's the "Admin Fee" got to do with RPI? And just because this mythical "many" consider TV and/or BB a necessity doesn't actually make it so.

Big business has never ever equated to "decency" so I've no idea why you'd think they should.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

Companies such as THREE limit price rises to RPI - Perhaps TV supplying companies should be limited as well (I believe that BBC is with TV licences) ?
    ps I never mentioned the admin charge in relation to this - I was talking about the overall costs !
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I have been upgraded to the full package at 43.05 per month - for 18 months - FIXED price
    That's not a bad deal - is it ?
    • E30M3
    • By E30M3 10th Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    E30M3
    I have been upgraded to the full package at 43.05 per month - for 18 months - FIXED price
    That's not a bad deal - is it ?
    For one Q box? sports/cinema/HD/kids? boxsets or ultimate on demand?
    Assuming one box, those channels and boxsets it's very good, comparable to the 38 I was offered
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    For one Q box? sports/cinema/HD/kids? boxsets or ultimate on demand?
    Assuming one box, those channels and boxsets it's very good, comparable to the 38 I was offered
    Originally posted by E30M3

No - HD but includes all sport, kids, movies, box sets etc...
    • By 1234 10th Jan 19, 3:28 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    I cant figure them out. They give me an offer and when i confirm with my partner if that's ok... Sky turn around and change how much it will be per month.

I'm done with them, just told em to cancel and will just have to live with freeview and netflix.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Jan 19, 6:09 PM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I cant figure them out. They give me an offer and when i confirm with my partner if that's ok... Sky turn around and change how much it will be per month.

I'm done with them, just told em to cancel and will just have to live with freeview and netflix.
    Originally posted by 1234
    Did you really expect them to make an offer and stick to it ?
    Sky don't do that - they just make up offers as they go along and vary them...
    • jem16
    • By jem16 10th Jan 19, 6:34 PM
    • 18,646 Posts
    • 11,459 Thanks
    jem16
    Just been negotiating on behalf of my Dad. He had been on an 18 month offer for the Original package plus Line rental, BB and Anytime calls - price was 43.99pm.

I went through Messenger Chat and after a 2 hour wait was eventually connected to someone at Sky. About 90 minutes later his offer was ;

Entertainment at 22pm. Couldn't offer anything with BB and said I'd need to speak to that department.

As Original was 23.50pm I told him that a saving of 1.50pm was no good as it was also going to incur a 20 admin fee. He said it would be 10pm admin fee and would give Dad an extra 80 channels.

I told him that was no good as he didn't watch those channels anyway. He said he could see where I was coming from but had no better offer.

Told him I would speak to Dad to see if he wanted to cancel. At that point he said he could transfer me through to retentions. Might have been better to do that in the first place but I said yes please.

Retentions came on quite quickly and came up with this offer.

Entertainment at 13 ( 12 off )
    Line rental at 16.49 ( 2.50 off )
    BB at 6.01 ( 5 off )
    Anytime Calls 8 ( no discount )

Total = 43.50 ( so 49p per month cheaper than before )

Admin fee was 10 to "unlock" the deal. I did try for a higher discount on something to make up for the fee but was told this was the very best they could do.

I decided to accept as even with cancelling I don't think I would have done much better.

Total time from start of Messenger Chat to end was about 8 hours. I was out in the afternoon so not always answering quickly.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Jan 19, 7:35 PM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Entertainment at 22pm.
    Entertainment at 13 ( 12 off )
    Originally posted by jem16

Entertainment is 22 on a 12/18 month contract (25 on a PAYG basis) - with 12 off = 10 not 13 - so 9 off !!

Was this agreed on a fixed price basis ?
    If not - you have an unpleasant surprise coming next month (Sky increase their prices in February) - try about 10%........
    Somehow I managed to avoid the admin fee !!
    • jem16
    • By jem16 10th Jan 19, 7:43 PM
    • 18,646 Posts
    • 11,459 Thanks
    jem16
    Entertainment is 22 on a 12/18 month contract (25 on a PAYG basis) - with 12 off = 10 not 13 - so 9 off !!
    Yes I'm well aware of that but it still is 12 off.

Was this agreed on a fixed price basis ?
    If not - you have an unpleasant surprise coming next month (Sky increase their prices in February) - try about 10%........
    I'm well aware that Sky increase their prices every year. I've been with Sky over 15 years as have my parents. For the last 6 years at least I've been negotiating discounts so I do know what I'm doing.

Somehow I managed to avoid the admin fee !!
    Yes I avoided it myself last year. Previous year I was on 60% discount but discounts are getting a bit harder now.

I could have cancelled the TV and might have got another 2 off but no more. Cancelling phone line is not to be recommended as my parents did not want to take a chance of losing their number which they've had for around 60 years.

All in they were happy to save 18pm and a price which was slightly less than last year's price.
    • niktheguru
    • By niktheguru 10th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    niktheguru
    If it helps anyone this is what I went for in the end for the parents
    They have an HD box and didn't want to upgrade to sky Q (its worth remembering if you are a VIP platinum you can get a 2gb box for 20 pounds install, but you have to pay 12 a month for the Q experience)

I went through the messenger service, which is slower than the chat but still not too bad.

Eventually we agreed:

Entertainment pack + HD + Box sets + Kids = 20 a month
    (i downgraded the cinema as it wasn't being used, but that was on offer for an extra 10 which is standard these days)

Its on an 18 month contract with a 10 admin fee (unable to get out of that)

Didn't have to cancel as haven't seen many amazing cancellation offers on here recently.

Hope that helps someone.
    • By 1234 11th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Did you really expect them to make an offer and stick to it ?
    Sky don't do that - they just make up offers as they go along and vary them...
    ... though on the chat they were offering entertainment for 22, now via my stb it's 15.
    Which would bring the sub back down below 30 that they told me was no longer available.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Jan 19, 11:58 AM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    ... though on the chat they were offering entertainment for 22, now via my stb it's 15.
    Which would bring the sub back down below 30 that they told me was no longer available.
    Originally posted by 1234
    Exactly - Sky don't have set rules ...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Jan 19, 11:40 PM
    • 23,275 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Exactly - Sky don't have set rules ...
    If they had guaranteed "rules" for retention deals, some (many even) customers would rampantly take advantage while others would innocently continue paying the full price.

A bit like the current situation, but on a fair larger scale..
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 12th Jan 19, 9:40 AM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    If they had guaranteed "rules" for retention deals, some (many even) customers would rampantly take advantage while others would innocently continue paying the full price.

A bit like the current situation, but on a fair larger scale..
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

Surely that would be better than the current situation (and not only with Sky) - where long term customers end up paying for new customers savings ?
    What has happened to customer loyalty benefits ?
    There's absolutely no reasons to stay with a particular company - insurance being another biggy,,,
    The difference is that Sky have a pretty captive market with F1 in particular - so they believe that they can ramp up the charges annually - but there WILL come a point where customer will rebel and I think that we have just about reached that point...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jan 19, 8:30 PM
    • 23,275 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Surely that would be better than the current situation (and not only with Sky) - where long term customers end up paying for new customers savings ?
    What has happened to customer loyalty benefits ?
    It's not just "long term" customers who subsidise the new customer offers, it's everyone (the vast majority) who pay the full cost of their subscription without demanding a deal to entice them to stay. I don't understand why you still fail to appreciate this?

Sky do have a loyalty scheme, by the way, it's called Sky VIP.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Jan 19, 8:25 AM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle

Sky do have a loyalty scheme, by the way, it's called Sky VIP.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I am aware of VIP.
    But VIP doesn't save me a penny in charges
    It simply tries to get me to cough up even more money in upgrades to Q
    • mamalfie
    • By mamalfie 13th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mamalfie
    Any success in getting QBox included
    I'm in the midst of negotiating a deal (online chat). I'm happy with what's been offered for tv/fibre/talk (including sports and movies) but Sky are currently refusing to upgrade my SKY+ box to a Q box unless I pay 100 for installation (1TB box). I've pointed out that new customers get the box for 20 installation and asked them to match. Anyone had any success with that argument?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I'm in the midst of negotiating a deal (online chat). I'm happy with what's been offered for tv/fibre/talk (including sports and movies) but Sky are currently refusing to upgrade my SKY+ box to a Q box unless I pay 100 for installation (1TB box). I've pointed out that new customers get the box for 20 installation and asked them to match. Anyone had any success with that argument?
    Originally posted by mamalfie

If you are a VIP member - you get :
    Exclusive Sky Q Reward
    This reward is only available to certain Sky TV customers who have successfully joined Sky VIP in the Diamond and
    Platinum tiers and who we have invited to benefit from the reward.
    If you are a Sky TV customer, this reward entitles you to a Sky Q 2TB box & one mini box for a one off set-up fee of 20
    when you sign up to a new 18-month minimum term (€25 and 12-month minimum term in Republic of Ireland) for Sky Q
    Multiscreen and pay the standard full price for Sky Q Multiscreen (unless you have any offers). We will loan you one Sky
    Q 2TB box, one Sky Q Mini and any other relevant kit, for no cost, for the time you have a Sky TV subscription.
    To redeem this reward, visit the reward home page and click on ‘Go to Sky.com’ to claim.
    We will charge you a one off 20/€25 Sky Q set-up fee which will show on your bill.
    You must continue to pay the monthly cost of your Sky TV subscription and any Sky Q Multiscreen subscription in the
    usual way.
    We will not offer you a refund for any Sky Q set-up fees which you paid for before this reward was offered.
    This reward is not available to existing Sky Q customers.
    You cannot transfer this reward and you cannot exchange it for a cash alternative.
    We only loan you all Sky Q kit at no cost. You must return this to us at the end of your Sky TV subscription. You own the
    Sky dish.
    You will need an engineer to set this up for you.
    If you require non-standard installation, it may cost extra.
    You will lose the recordings on your current box.
    You must get any permission needed (for example, from your landlord).
    This reward is available in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland only.
    Sky Q terms and conditions apply. See www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/sky-q/ for more information.
    The Promoter is Sky UK Limited (registered number 02906991) of Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD. Rewards
    for customers in the Republic of Ireland are given by Sky Ireland Limited (registered number 547787) of Fifth Floor, One
    Burlington Plaza, Burlington Road, Dublin 4.
    These terms apply in addition to the Sky VIP terms and conditions which you agreed upon joining Sky VIP. In the event
    of any conflict between these reward terms and the Sky VIP terms, these terms apply
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,143Posts Today

6,976Users online

Martin's Twitter