Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 7:29 PM
    • 35,039Posts
    • 41,124Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 7:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 7:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 106
    • dazcouz
    • By dazcouz 14th Oct 18, 4:14 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,099 Thanks
    dazcouz
    I have a quick question, my 18 month contract is due to expire on 19 November, when can I speak to Sky about cancelling so I can go to Freesat or maybe grab a good discount to stay with them. Do I have to wait until 19 November?
    Competion Wins 2008 - 1700 - 2009 5300
    2010- 680
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Oct 18, 4:25 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have a quick question, my 18 month contract is due to expire on 19 November, when can I speak to Sky about cancelling so I can go to Freesat or maybe grab a good discount to stay with them. Do I have to wait until 19 November?
    Originally posted by dazcouz
    You can talk to them at any time however it's 30 days notice for cancellation so you're best calling now regardless.
    • Lucky83
    • By Lucky83 15th Oct 18, 12:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Lucky83
    Basic package price
    Just cancelled my Sky package as the best price they could offer was 33.50 for 18 months (current HD box, original package, no extras, non-fibre broadband and phone line). I've been with them for years and you can get this for 33 a month as a new customer .

Anyone got this package for a lot better than this? In the process of moving to Now TV etc but could do without the hassle!
    • dazcouz
    • By dazcouz 16th Oct 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,099 Thanks
    dazcouz
    Just cancelled too. Hopefully can get some form of retention offer before the 31 days are up but if not can get a Freesat box and save about 50+ a month.
    Competion Wins 2008 - 1700 - 2009 5300
    2010- 680
    • black paw
    • By black paw 16th Oct 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    black paw
    normally when i cancelled 31 days , i got phone calls from them ,then letters ,prob best to its run out then phone for a deal
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
    • Antnshell
    • By Antnshell 17th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Antnshell
    Hi ive also put in my cancellation, my service will cease as of the 5th November. I still have not access to the offers page.

When I discuss options on webchat the deals are good however they say they can only discuss packages for my current sky plus box and will not discuss an upgrade to sky q...has anyone else come across this?
    • napper689
    • By napper689 18th Oct 18, 4:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    napper689
    SKY TV increased monthly premium by 20%
    Having been with SKY TV for quite some time and taken the full package (ie access to their full tv channels) and was charged 41.75 pm. My current 18 month contract expired and SKY charged me 83.00 pm which was clearly not worth it. I called SKY to see what they could and they offered me the same channels but now for 50.00pm (a 20% increase) I mentioned that a 20% increase for the same service was not going to work and they then offered me a reduced channel list for 43pm. I have tried on 3 separate occasions to call SKY and see if they would be prepared for me to pay 41.75 pm for new contract - this was refused on each occasion - hence we have cancelled.
    The point I am trying to make is that a friend of ours has very recently extended their contract for the same channel list for the same premium and even got a new SKY Q box thrown in.
    My conclusion is that dealing with SKY TV is down to pot luck, you are completely dependent on the call centre attitude on the day. Life is too short for all this, My salary has not increased by 20% so how can SKY justify this 20% price increase
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 18th Oct 18, 5:47 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    shaggy
    Having been with SKY TV for quite some time and taken the full package (ie access to their full tv channels) and was charged 41.75 pm. My current 18 month contract expired and SKY charged me 83.00 pm which was clearly not worth it. I called SKY to see what they could and they offered me the same channels but now for 50.00pm (a 20% increase) I mentioned that a 20% increase for the same service was not going to work and they then offered me a reduced channel list for 43pm. I have tried on 3 separate occasions to call SKY and see if they would be prepared for me to pay 41.75 pm for new contract - this was refused on each occasion - hence we have cancelled.
    The point I am trying to make is that a friend of ours has very recently extended their contract for the same channel list for the same premium and even got a new SKY Q box thrown in.
    My conclusion is that dealing with SKY TV is down to pot luck, you are completely dependent on the call centre attitude on the day. Life is too short for all this, My salary has not increased by 20% so how can SKY justify this 20% price increase
    Originally posted by napper689

If you don't like the deal they're offering you, just cancel. I've been without sky for around 9 months now and don't miss it one bit.
    There's plenty of other ways to get your TV fix these days....
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th Oct 18, 6:55 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My current 18 month contract expired and SKY charged me 83.00 pm which was clearly not worth it. I called SKY to see what they could and they offered me the same channels but now for 50.00pm (a 20% increase)...

...My salary has not increased by 20% so how can SKY justify this 20% price increase
    That looks like a 40% discount to me, not a 20% increase.

They don't have to justify anything, they've offered you a 40% discount, if that's beyond your wallet then continue with the cancellation. They may or may not contact you to offer a bigger discount but they're under absolutely no obligation to.
    • napper689
    • By napper689 18th Oct 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    napper689
    we only paid 83.00 for one month (Sept 18) as my sharp eyed wife notice the massive jump in the monthly premium from our 41.75pm (we paid this for the last 18 months) SKY only offered us 50pm for the same channels for 18 months which is an increase of 20% from what we were paying during the 18 month contract. We have tried 3 times to see if SKY would let us pay the same price as we were paying, but this was not on the table, hence the reason why we cancelled. Freeview for us,

One other point of note, is that SKY made zero attempt to contact us to inform us that we were nearing the end of the contract and that our fee would be doubling as we would be out of contract. Maybe we were just unlucky in not being contacted, or is this standard practise - just wondered
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th Oct 18, 9:31 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    we only paid 83.00 for one month (Sept 18) as my sharp eyed wife notice the massive jump in the monthly premium from our 41.75pm (we paid this for the last 18 months) SKY only offered us 50pm for the same channels for 18 months which is an increase of 20% from what we were paying during the 18 month contract. We have tried 3 times to see if SKY would let us pay the same price as we were paying, but this was not on the table, hence the reason why we cancelled. Freeview for us,
    That's still an offer of 40% discount, it's irrelevant what offer you were on previously, only what the offer is now.

One other point of note, is that SKY made zero attempt to contact us to inform us that we were nearing the end of the contract and that our fee would be doubling as we would be out of contract. Maybe we were just unlucky in not being contacted, or is this standard practise - just wondered
    Totally normal, it's up to yourself to manage your own affairs despite the increasing trend to turn into a total nanny state.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 18-10-2018 at 9:32 AM. Reason: typo
    • quoit
    • By quoit 18th Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    quoit
    My advice to anyone who bags a very good discount from Sky is to monitor your monthly bills, because my experience with them last year was dreadful.

I was on a 60% discounted Sky package for 12 months (March 2017 to Feb 2018). Everything was fine and dandy for 5 months, then Sky restructured their packages. I discovered I was being charged full price from Aug 2017, the reason given that I'd changed my package. I'd done nothing of the kind. Sky had restructured how they charge for their packages.

After several calls of getting absolutely nowhere with their customer service over a myriad of billing issues, most of which would be incomprehensible to the most gifted of accountants and money launderers, I eventually cancelled.

So just beware of Sky. Keep checking your bills each month. That's my advice. They didn't honour my 60% discounted deal for what ought to have been 12 months.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 19th Oct 18, 9:49 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Boohoo
    My advice to anyone who bags a very good discount from Sky is to monitor your monthly bills, because my experience with them last year was dreadful.

I was on a 60% discounted Sky package for 12 months (March 2017 to Feb 2018). Everything was fine and dandy for 5 months, then Sky restructured their packages. I discovered I was being charged full price from Aug 2017, the reason given that I'd changed my package. I'd done nothing of the kind. Sky had restructured how they charge for their packages.

After several calls of getting absolutely nowhere with their customer service over a myriad of billing issues, most of which would be incomprehensible to the most gifted of accountants and money launderers, I eventually cancelled.

So just beware of Sky. Keep checking your bills each month. That's my advice. They didn't honour my 60% discounted deal for what ought to have been 12 months.
    Originally posted by quoit
    That happened to me and 4 or 5 other people i know who were on discounted packages when Sky changed the Sports package and my discount stopped and was charged full price as Sky said i asked to change it when i had Variety, cinema and full sports but they changed the way you can buy sports as just 1 channel like football or golf or all the sports channels for 20 or 22 i think.
    They charged me full whack for all the packages i had and took the money from my bank as Sky said they could not stop that month's bill but would give me credit on next months bill but that was wrong and more calls later i ended up sending an email to CEO and they called back but even then she could not work out if i had been overcharged 100 then i should be give 100 credit and her answer was i was only overcharged for 1 month so i should get back that total overcharged.
    She did get it sorted but but could not reinstate my remaining 3 or 4 months discount as Sky's sytem will not allow it unless i took out another 12 or 18 month contract but the 3 or 4 months would be al discount and the other months full price.
    I put in my notice the same day and Sky changed the way they offered discounts as money of the bill and not a straight 40%, 45% or 50% discount on all prices as you may have seen on here people get 5 off sports but others get 10 off.
    • NewMoneySaver13
    • By NewMoneySaver13 19th Oct 18, 1:02 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    NewMoneySaver13
    I have already put in my cancellation, my service will cease as of the 27th October. Sky don't seem to be budging on what they have offered. To date the best I have been offered is Entertainment 17, Boxsets 1, Kids 1 and HD 1 on a new 18 month contract.

Has anyone out there been offered a better deal than this once the service has been cancelled?
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 19th Oct 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    MataNui
    Just cancelled too. Hopefully can get some form of retention offer before the 31 days are up but if not can get a Freesat box and save about 50+ a month.
    Originally posted by dazcouz

My 31 days is up tomorrow and so far i have had zero calls, emails, letters, messages in my account view for any offers at all despite having all contact preferences available.

So looks like i will be Sky free in the morning.

#Edit#
    I could add that i also switched my broadband from them (signed up to the new supplier about a week after cancelling my TV) and that went through a week or so back. I had no communications or offers about staying with Sky for that either.
    Last edited by MataNui; 19-10-2018 at 1:12 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Oct 18, 3:47 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My 31 days is up tomorrow and so far i have had zero calls, emails, letters, messages in my account view for any offers at all despite having all contact preferences available.

So looks like i will be Sky free in the morning.

#Edit#
    I could add that i also switched my broadband from them (signed up to the new supplier about a week after cancelling my TV) and that went through a week or so back. I had no communications or offers about staying with Sky for that either.
    Originally posted by MataNui
    Have you requested them not to contact you previously? Have you blocked their number?
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 21st Oct 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    MataNui
    Have you requested them not to contact you previously? Have you blocked their number?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

Nope. And they used to contact me regularly by phone to try to up sell me to Sky Q. Nothing at all from them since i put my cancellation in though. All gone off now. No more sky.
    • smallblueplanet
    • By smallblueplanet 21st Oct 18, 5:45 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    smallblueplanet
    Have you checked on your mySky account settings that you have ticked the 'allow marketing' choices (can't remember their exact title). If they're not ticked they can't contact you to offer deals.

It sounds like you are somewhat unlucky, my 60% off full tv package deal ends at the beginning of November. About a month ago I got a letter telling me not to worry as they would be putting a deal onto my account and I didn't need to do anything. Thing is when you calculate the discount it's only 40% off not 60% so I'll have to give them a ring and haggle...tomorrow I suppose.
    • fleetingmind
    • By fleetingmind 22nd Oct 18, 12:45 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    fleetingmind
    Moving house on the 02/11/2018 ad now cancelled both Virgin (Phone and Broadband) and Sky (TV).
    I can't get Virgin in new place so told Sky I wanted to keep it all together with one provider but their offer wasn't low enough so hopefully i get a call soon.
    • napper689
    • By napper689 23rd Oct 18, 2:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    napper689
    Thank you, that is very kind of you to take the time to reply to me, so far SKY have not tried to contact me whatsoever and I have called them 3 times and on each occasion the only deal is for 50.00 per month for all channels, which is what we have access to now. Whilst I appreciate that this is discounted from their full asking price of over 80.00 pm it still is an increase to us of 20% as we have been paying 41.75 pm for all channels for the past 18 months. We still have the old SKY Box and despite the noise we hear from friends, SKY Q box deals that were recently on offer, appear to have dried up fro now. SKY appear to be sticking to their guns, which is fine and I don't mind that at all, if only they were consistent with their offers. Afterall 50% of a big package is better than 100% of a low package (And a lot better than 100% of NO package).
    Our policy is that we give companies similar to SKY 3 chances, we have called 3 times and no deal was on offer (we were offered in fairness to cut out movies and box sets for the lower monthly fee) that comes close to what we were paying so FREEVIEW it is. My wife is happy with FREEVIEW and as we all know Happy Wife = Happy Life
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

656Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've had a few replies from people objecting to the term partner. Yet not all couples are married in the modern wor? https://t.co/YRtbLiD96U

• RT @mmhpi: Yesterday we launched our new strategy! Read this introduction by our Founder and Chair @MartinSLewis and Chief Executive @ hele?

• RT @pollymackenzie: I?m so proud to know @MartinSLewis who gets this. Yes: fund services to help people directly, one by one. But the effec?

• Follow Martin