Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 35,915Posts
    • 42,068Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 92
    • danwhy77
    • By danwhy77 14th Jan 20, 9:48 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danwhy77
    consumers_revenge

that's what I wanted to do but they wouldn't give me the same deal, I have put my notice in, should I try them again today and say the same as you,
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 14th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    • 3,297 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge

that's what I wanted to do but they wouldn't give me the same deal, I have put my notice in, should I try them again today and say the same as you,
    Originally posted by danwhy77
    Re ring and make sure you also have skys 41 deal to hand.

sunday person dreadful
    monday person couldnt help enough

if you have put your notice in it looks like 99% get a call back in a day or 2 with proper offers.
    • danwhy77
    • By danwhy77 14th Jan 20, 8:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danwhy77
    Thatís what I thought I put my notice in on Friday but had no phone call yet I must be the 1% that doesnít get a call back 😟
    • Sue S
    • By Sue S 15th Jan 20, 9:02 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Sue S
    Thatís what I thought I put my notice in on Friday but had no phone call yet I must be the 1% that doesnít get a call back 😟
    Did you get a confirmation email? I put my notice in but didnít get an email or a callback. After a week I phoned and asked for my confirmatory email, a day after the email arrived I got a call from retentions with an offer.
    • danwhy77
    • By danwhy77 15th Jan 20, 12:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danwhy77
    Yes I got a disconnections email but no phone call I guess they really donít want me anymore I will call them tonight and see if I can get a better deal or I will be signing up with Sky tomorrow
    • stealdo
    • By stealdo 15th Jan 20, 1:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stealdo
    My contract is due the last week of Feb, when would you start phoning up?

Yes I got a disconnections email but no phone call I guess they really donít want me anymore I will call them tonight and see if I can get a better deal or I will be signing up with Sky tomorrow

Danwhy - I'm also on the VIP package, could you send me details of what sky are offering? I've seen deals but can't seem to get even a similar price with Sky as I'm wanting BT and Sky Sports

Thanks
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My contract is due the last week of Feb, when would you start phoning up?

Danwhy - I'm also on the VIP package, could you send me details of what sky are offering? I've seen deals but can't seem to get even a similar price with Sky as I'm wanting BT and Sky Sports

Thanks
    Originally posted by stealdo
    I'd start phoning now myself.

If you are thinking of jumping ship I'd phone Sky and ask about the Sky Sports Extra package which is Sky Sports, BT Sports & Premiere Sports (Boxnation joins PS in a couple of weeks or so).
    • stealdo
    • By stealdo 15th Jan 20, 3:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stealdo
    I'd start phoning now myself.

If you are thinking of jumping ship I'd phone Sky and ask about the Sky Sports Extra package which is Sky Sports, BT Sports & Premiere Sports (Boxnation joins PS in a couple of weeks or so).
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

Happy to stay with Virgin as currently I haven't found an offer which matches. I've googled this and it's trying to send me to the Ireland sky store? Can they do this over the phone for the rest of the UK?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jan 20, 4:09 PM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Happy to stay with Virgin as currently I haven't found an offer which matches. I've googled this and it's trying to send me to the Ireland sky store? Can they do this over the phone for the rest of the UK?
    Originally posted by stealdo
    Yes, it's a soft launch and they can sign you up via phone or I'd presume the other methods of contact. The official launch the last I heard was the 29th of this month I think.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 15-01-2020 at 4:12 PM.
    • Realgonekid
    • By Realgonekid 15th Jan 20, 9:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Realgonekid
    Long time haggler update, been a retentions regular for a few years now.

Coming off TV XL (incl BT Sport etc), 100MB, Weekend Calls £50pm
    Increase due to £78.

My usual tack is this.

1st call, play it nice, friendly, usual time of year etc, let them suss out your channel usage, your BB useage etc. Let them (encourage them) to go ďpackage upĒ looking for deals as well as reluctantly downgrading if your usage dictates. When they come to a final number, say youíve been great etc and youíll think about it and end the call positively.

2nd call, usually day 2. This depends on who you get. I normally aim to give polite notice to cancel, saying I spoke to X yesterday at length, he did a great job trying to find me something but I think the price is just too far this year.

At that stage in yesterdayís call 2 the chap just said ďif I can find a figure to make you stay, what would it be? I said no more than what Iím paying now. Two mins later he played with the systems and found a deal:

TV Maxit (Same as XL) 200MB, Weekend Calls, £49pm.

Partly I think I got lucky, Virgin are heavily marketing a broadband speed upgrade to retain clients. If Iíd have been on 200MB already I donít think this deal wouldíve been offered. Itís been a while since Iíve had a new customer price match.

Last year, when call 2 didnít help and I gave notice, the outbound call (it does come quick) offered no more than the inbound team. Whilst some will argue I could have cancelled again this year - yeah maybe but I really donít think Iíd have got any further, and my gut feel actually is the inbound team do have access to decent deals but they have to do a lot of faffing around to find them, and some are better on Virginís systems than others.

Always worth at least two phone calls therefore.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 15th Jan 20, 10:00 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    2e0arr
    re negotiated my stuff weekend telephone , mix tv, loyalty broadband (i think 100mb , ok for me i use old pc and laptops with linux and a couple of raspberry pi's) £43 for 18 months
    Last edited by 2e0arr; 15-01-2020 at 10:13 PM.
    • stealdo
    • By stealdo 16th Jan 20, 1:47 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stealdo
    Just an update as my contract is up at the end of Feb.

Currently on VIP paying £89, got offered earlier today on Live Chat the oomph bundle for £99 for 12 months. Not sure if it's worth taking but I'm going to speak to retentions.
    • hishaq96
    • By hishaq96 16th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hishaq96
    I've just signed up to sky for ultrafast broadband and anytime calls for £27 a month.
    Just received a call from virgin that sky have requested to port you number over and the best they can offer is £36 straight no.
    • hishaq96
    • By hishaq96 16th Jan 20, 3:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hishaq96
    Will I still get another call from them?
    • fred_davies
    • By fred_davies 17th Jan 20, 4:36 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    fred_davies
    V poor offer
    Hi all
    The best offer I got on my first call this year to 150 was a paltry £1.50 off what I'm currently paying! I'm currently on M70 Broadband, Player TV (Basic) and Talk Weekend, with a cost of £57.50. When our LineSaver expired and they purposely didn't notify when it needed renewal (and I forgot myself, which of course they wanted to happen), plus two price increases in the last 18 months, our bills have risen by nearly 20%. Compared to Realgonekid's retentions-threatening result five posts up, this offer is very bad.

I've been a customer since late 2000 (Was Telewest), so nearly 20 years, and this was the best they could do? Very poor.

Realgonekid, do you do haggle-for-hire?

Time to hit the other providers and see what is out there. Shame as the actual service is good, just very cute business practices.
    • Realgonekid
    • By Realgonekid 17th Jan 20, 6:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Realgonekid
    That does sound bad Fred.

Looks like the deal is relative to the offers on their screen to the package you are on, which doesn’t easily fit into any of their current ‘new customer offerings’.

If it helps to know. Last year I didn’t gain as much as I did this year, I think for that reason. In fact I think then they took 100MB off my broadband and removed a second V6 box before i prevented an increase. This year, when they market that are going to be doubling everyone’s broadband hey presto I get mine back.

This is definitely worth that second phone call, and more than likely you disconnect before they will be accommodating. Ask them what Mixit TV would cost? (the £33new customer deal)

Good luck.
    Last edited by Realgonekid; 17-01-2020 at 7:01 PM. Reason: Error
    • irc
    • By irc 17th Jan 20, 10:24 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    irc
    Haggling Fail
    When I got my latest bill, £72 with a note a discount of £12 was ending Jan 27th it was time to call them

Package is Xl tv anytime calls, and I think 100 broadband. Told the Indian call centre guy I wanted a better deal. He said he couldn't talk until my discount was up. So mentioned leaving a got passed to detentions. Told him I was cutting back on household budget. No longer wanted and tv just broadband and phone. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Best he could do was £70 per month.

Told him I was leaving but no change.
    I've signed up with Vodaphone for 65 fibre BB and phone being installed 7th Feb at £23 per month plus a £5 for anytime calls. Plus £100 Amazon vouchers.

So we are going. I've already had one call on the landline from them. My wife took that one so no idea what they would offer. But I'm leaving anyway. £70 for phone and broadband is an insult.

They are losing a customer since not days because of their silly !!!!!! pricing. I think they assumed they didn't need to offer much since I'd been with them that long
    • ScoobyZ
    • By ScoobyZ 18th Jan 20, 10:06 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    ScoobyZ
    I've just move my father in law from them after 20+ years to Now Broadband. Saving him over £400 a year. Getting fed up with the polava of cancelling and haggling.

I might leave Virgin again this year and flick between the 'BT openreach' alternatives in future to avoid the line install (re-connection) charges. I moved to BT a couple of years ago and it was OK, slower speed but things did feel speedy.
    • hishaq96
    • By hishaq96 21st Jan 20, 11:48 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hishaq96
    Today been offered £28 for 100mps anytime calls or 200mbps anytime calls £33.
    Is 200 mbps worth it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter