Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 34,108Posts
    • 40,239Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 61
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 29th Jul 18, 11:32 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    Rang on Friday for my annual retention call huge queue as expected with the UKTV stuff but was patient and got through...

Full House TV
    Sky Sports + HD
    100MB Broadband
    Don't give a !!!! what the phone is as I only ever use it to call VM to cut a deal

£78 per month.

In my current contract which was about to end I was paying £83 for the same rolling onto £102 (which I was never going to pay!).

Would have been happy with a match of the £83 but to get it cheaper I seen as a good result. Furthermore I don't have the stress of waiting for outbound to call me which is a risky game at the moment with the amount of people wanting to leave.

For sports/football fans VM still the best deal.

Interestingly although a 12 month contract some of the discount goes on for 18 months:-

T Sky Sports Discount (until 27th July 2019) T Loyalty Discount £4 per month for 18 months (until 27th January 2020) T Discount (until 27th January 2020)
    • CrocodileHamilton
    • By CrocodileHamilton 31st Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CrocodileHamilton
    Is This A Good Deal??
    I have been a virgin media customer for over 8 years, with recent loss of UKTV channels itís forced me to look at things. Currently paying £95.20 for Sports (not in HD), Cinema, Base Packs channels, 1 TiVo box, 100mb broadband and line rental.
    I phoned retentionís and best guy offered me was whole package for £84. He then said to further reduce cost I would have to remove services !!!128558; I think thatís shocking!
    I totally feel undervalued as a customer - guy said he do a package review and just asked if I watched sports and cinema so his solution straight away was to try take things off. I know Virgin are inundated with calls but service from advisors are crap.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 31st Jul 18, 4:00 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have been a virgin media customer for over 8 years, with recent loss of UKTV channels it!!!8217;s forced me to look at things. Currently paying £95.20 for Sports (not in HD), Cinema, Base Packs channels, 1 TiVo box, 100mb broadband and line rental.
    I phoned retention!!!8217;s and best guy offered me was whole package for £84. He then said to further reduce cost I would have to remove services !!!128558; I think that!!!8217;s shocking!
    I totally feel undervalued as a customer - guy said he do a package review and just asked if I watched sports and cinema so his solution straight away was to try take things off. I know Virgin are inundated with calls but service from advisors are crap.
    Originally posted by CrocodileHamilton
    That's actually excellent service from the advisor. They work for Virgin, not you, and they're trying to maximise profit for the company (and through bonuses, themselves probably). It's not their fault you're paying a fortune every year when you most probably don't need to. If you don't like it, leave.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 31-07-2018 at 4:00 PM. Reason: typo
    • CrocodileHamilton
    • By CrocodileHamilton 31st Jul 18, 4:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CrocodileHamilton
    Ok so I posted for feedback from people about whether it!!!8217;s a good deal and I get this reply. I!!!8217;m not looking for aggression thank you
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 31st Jul 18, 4:20 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Ok so I posted for feedback from people about whether it!!!8217;s a good deal and I get this reply. I!!!8217;m not looking for aggression thank you
    Aggression? You must be thin skinned if you see any aggression in there. That said you display some aggression yourself in both your original rant and your reply.

My feedback is that it's too dear and you should leave, is that better for yourself?
    • CrocodileHamilton
    • By CrocodileHamilton 31st Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CrocodileHamilton
    Just don!!!8217;t post how about that for you, if you have nothing constructive. Don!!!8217;t know why you bothered commenting in first place.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 31st Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Just don!!!8217;t post how about that for you, if you have nothing constructive. Don!!!8217;t know why you bothered commenting in first place.
    And again with the aggressive posts, pretty sure that's not your decision bud who does and doesn't post on here so if it's all the same to you I'll continue
    • CrocodileHamilton
    • By CrocodileHamilton 31st Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CrocodileHamilton
    Go ahead continue what other little nuggets and fountains of wisdom do you have because you have contributed so much !!!55357;!!!56847;
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 31st Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    • 20,614 Posts
    • 217,120 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Our previous contract ended back in February. We were paying £43 a month for 100MB, tv player bundle, and talk weekends.

We rang a few weeks before the contract was due to end and we were offered the same for £35 a month, we said we would think about it.

Once we knew we were out of contract we signed up with PlusNet, basically make or break, we were quite happy to go with them but we were not happy to keep paying Virgin prices. We made sure we said we wanted to transfer our landline number so they would have to contact Virgin.

The very next day Virgin got back to us and offered us the same deal for £19 a month (12 month contract), needless to say we were surprised and grabbed it with both hands, we simply cancelled PlusNet.

So if you want Virgin to react that may well be the way to go.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 5th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 6,482 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Was paying £30.44 for basic TV and 100 Mbps broadband plus £19 line rental.

Just called to try to add Line Rental Saver for £196 to save £32. The agent said LRS is no longer available for people who don't already have it - despite it being on their website and them having an option for it on their telephone menu.

Asked to be transferred to the cancellations team, as I don't use the phone line anyway (except to call VM when the BB goes down, as it frequently does).

The guy on the cancellations team tried to tell me I was getting a discounted rate, and cancelling the phone line would put the price up as I couldn't have the basic TV package and BB without line rental!

I had already checked the prices for new customers, and could see they were offering my package to new customers for £32 a month.

After a bit of haggling, I am keeping my existing package for £36 a month including line rental, and a £50 credit on my account.

Edit:-

Tip (probably said already by other people). Before haggling with VM, open a different browser, chose an address for one of your neighbours who doesn't use VM, and see what's available for new customers.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 05-08-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 5th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    darren72
    [QUOTE=Nick_C;74619836
    Just called to try to add Line Rental Saver for £196 to save £32. The agent said LRS is no longer available for people who don't already have it - despite it being on their website and them having an option for it on their telephone menu.

Asked to be transferred to the cancellations team, as I don't use the phone line anyway (except to call VM when the BB goes down, as it frequently does).[/QUOTE]

What did the cancellations team say about the Line Rental Saver? - Is it definitely no longer available ?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 5th Aug 18, 4:03 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 6,482 Thanks
    Nick_C
    What did the cancellations team say about the Line Rental Saver? - Is it definitely no longer available ?
    Originally posted by darren72
    Didn't ask them. I was so annoyed that it was no longer available I decided I would cancel the line rental anyway and switch to VOIP with Sipgate. Not 100% reliable as the BB has to be working, but to save around £200 a year it seemed like a risk worth taking.

But the guy who told me it was no longer available said existing customers who had LRS could renew it.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 7th Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Craig1981
    VIP package renewed at £90pcm for 12 months (not the 9/12 months) - yes it is an increase of £2 a month on my current "new customer deal", but, having been a customer with the V6 boxes and more and more HD and UHD stuff being broadcast, a no brainer to stay for another 12 months!

2x V6 boxes
    Full sports HD
    Full cinema HD
    Full entertainment pack HD
    Talk more anytime
    350 broadband
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 7th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • 6,114 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    roddydogs
    If your post makes no sense because of the dreaded !!!!8217 nonsence, can you not repost without it? Just asking.
    • Mr Reeman
    • By Mr Reeman 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Mr Reeman
    I called 6 times last week to cancel my contract as it ends at the end of this month and the price was rising from £28 to £48. This is just for the player bundle, 50mb and talk weekends.
    After being on hold for more than 40 minutes each time, I eventually had the will the stay on the line and request to leave. They could only offer me the same deal I'm on at £46, so went through with the cancellation.

I signed up with plusnet on Friday and received a call from their outbound team yesterday asking why I was leaving. I said I wanted to stay but I'm on old equipment, the lowest bundle and so it's not worth payng £48. The guy had a look and gave me a price of £32 for six months then £35 after that, but I said it wasn't in my budget. He then said he could offer me £30 a month for 12 months plus a new hub, and £30 off the first month. As this was pretty close to what I was paying before I said yes. He then put the order through and said actually the sales system says it will be £25 a month for 6 months, then £27 for the next 12 months, but I can cancel the contract after 12 months, plus the first month free and a new home hub. This is still on the player bundle and 50mb BB which is good enough for me. I asked about the new V6 box, but he said he could only offer this for £100 upfront fee.

I was very happy with this and have agreed to it, apart from the V6 box as I'm happy with TIVO.

It's annoying to have to go through the rigmarole of cancelling to get a good deal, but happy with the result.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I asked about the new V6 box, but he said he could only offer this for £100 upfront fee.
    Originally posted by Mr Reeman
    From customers at work it appears that Virgin have put on hold free upgrades to the V6 box, presumably due to supply issues. Obviously they have to retain a certain level of stock for new customers.
    • still_ill_83
    • By still_ill_83 13th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    still_ill_83
    After threatening to leave (and rejecting the initial offer) I got a call offering 12 month contract, 50mb fibre, phone line and caller ID, £50 credit, basic TV and Tivo box = £41pm
    Last edited by still_ill_83; 13-08-2018 at 3:50 PM. Reason: Slight error
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 6,482 Thanks
    Nick_C
    From customers at work it appears that Virgin have put on hold free upgrades to the V6 box, presumably due to supply issues. Obviously they have to retain a certain level of stock for new customers.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Maybe it depends on the area.

I had visit from a technician last week as the phone had gone dead. He offered me a free V6 box then and there, but I have stuff recorded on TiVo that I haven't watched so I declined.

He said Virgin were keen to get the TiVo boxes back for customers who have TV only, and would be posting out new V6 boxes to everyone.

He also said they are phasing out the copper wire phone lines and activating the VOIP ports on the routers. Opting out of the land line is not an option for new customers - all new packages include line rental which is not separately itemised. Presumably this is why they no longer offer Line Rental Saver to people who don't have it already.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 13th Aug 18, 8:17 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 3,210 Thanks
    victor2
    He also said they are phasing out the copper wire phone lines and activating the VOIP ports on the routers. Opting out of the land line is not an option for new customers - all new packages include line rental which is not separately itemised. Presumably this is why they no longer offer Line Rental Saver to people who don't have it already.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Wonder if they'll reduce call charges if it all goes to VOIP?
    • Emmel
    • By Emmel 14th Aug 18, 9:55 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Emmel
    Currently on full house package.
    Landline is never used and not even a phone plugged in.
    Broadband, kids play xbox/fortnite, use ipads/youtube.
    Adults use phones, laptop, amazon fire stick.
    TV. Kids never watch it. It records a few series links that are watched when we have time.
    We do have sky and bt sports, husband is a huge footie fan.

£97 per month.

On checking offers, BT are offering a landline/broadband/tv deal with sky and bt sports for £64 per month.

Virgin is also offering new customers full house package, £150 credit and v6 box.

Best they would offer was £79 a month and £50 credit. I said no thanks and have went through disconnections.

Now tv are doing a sky sports package, 10 months for £179. £17.90 per month. Contracts are sim only. Can change to EE and get bt sports for £5 per month or £15 if chromecast. Refuse to be robbed by VM after yeas of loyalty.

Was told new customer offer is just that, for new customers only. Have voted with my feet
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

8,083Users online

Martin's Twitter