Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 33,878Posts
    • 40,011Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 59
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 28th Jun 18, 12:17 AM
    • 22,493 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    the discount is only for 9 months, I presumed it was for 12.
    Originally posted by Rachel_123
    Never "presume" anything. Get it in writing exactly what is offered and over what timescale BEFORE you agree to the offer.
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 28th Jun 18, 9:04 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    Never "presume" anything. Get it in writing exactly what is offered and over what timescale BEFORE you agree to the offer.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

Use the word "misold" to them and they will soon change their mind!

I'm still waiting for a call back from "retentions" or the "customer win back" team - nothing yet ...
    • Rachel_123
    • By Rachel_123 29th Jun 18, 3:40 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Rachel_123
    Use the word "misold" to them and they will soon change their mind!

I'm still waiting for a call back from "retentions" or the "customer win back" team - nothing yet ...
    Originally posted by DonnySaver
    Spoke to someone in billing who agreed with me that it should have been made clear the discount was only 9 months and the difference is being credited back to me. He also sorted out my monthly amount bring incorrect and Iím now down to £71 a month !!!128077;
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 29th Jun 18, 9:22 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    I actually got a call from the retentions team last night!

I told them I could get 36Mbps fibre and landline with PlusNet again and they offered me 50Mbps (don't need 100) and landline for £24 (2 days ago I was offered it for £35).

I've accepted their offer - I'm happy with that.
    • carlosftw
    • By carlosftw 29th Jun 18, 11:18 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    carlosftw
    Called up for the second time. Was offered:

mix tv package
    100 broadband
    talk weekends

£40 a month for 12 months, but with a month free (£40 credit). Happy with this (was paying £32 a month for same things but the basic 'player tv' on the new customer offer).
    • victor2
    • By victor2 29th Jun 18, 11:41 AM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 3,196 Thanks
    victor2
    I actually got a call from the retentions team last night!

I told them I could get 36Mbps fibre and landline with PlusNet again and they offered me 50Mbps (don't need 100) and landline for £24 (2 days ago I was offered it for £35).

I've accepted their offer - I'm happy with that.
    Originally posted by DonnySaver
    Sounds like a reasonable deal. With 50Mbps download, you only get 3Mbps upload, where you get 6Mbps upload with 100 down.
    That can be an issue for some people. VM are actually behind many other fibre offerings on that. I've even had their CS reps tell me I will get 10% of the download speed as upload. I had to point them in the direction of their own published documents to make them realise they were wrong.
    Apparently VM are testing giving 10% of the download speed as the upload speed though, but nothing reflecting that is offered yet AFAIK.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 29th Jun 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    Sounds like a reasonable deal. With 50Mbps download, you only get 3Mbps upload, where you get 6Mbps upload with 100 down.
    That can be an issue for some people. VM are actually behind many other fibre offerings on that. I've even had their CS reps tell me I will get 10% of the download speed as upload. I had to point them in the direction of their own published documents to make them realise they were wrong.
    Apparently VM are testing giving 10% of the download speed as the upload speed though, but nothing reflecting that is offered yet AFAIK.
    Originally posted by victor2
    It would be nice if you could choose your up/down ratio to suit your needs. I have no idea whether the technology supports that though.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 30th Jun 18, 4:04 PM
    • 13,562 Posts
    • 151,485 Thanks
    Anon
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Good luck with that - Virgin rarely provide you with the deal in writing. The contract sometimes reflects what you agreed or not, depending on how they have applied the deal to your account (whether credits, loyalty discounts etc).
    It is annoying as you are rarely sure whether it has been applied correctly until your bill.
    • den169
    • By den169 30th Jun 18, 4:15 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    den169
    I record everything with Virgin ,I have been lied to before.In fact in january we moved to our sons house while we downsized and looked for a bungalow.Thay absolutley gauranteed my contract would continue and not start again,Then when we did get a house i rang to cancel as my deal was ending they told me i would have to pay £240 to get out of contract because when i moved it started a new 12 month contract,First one i spoke to would not budge even though i played the recording of them telling me i would not start a new contract,Iput the phone down rang again and demanded to talk to a supervisor he listened to my recording apologised and sorted me a new deal.
    Record everything its the only safe way.Without that recording i would have been tied to january next year with a £20 a month increase.
    Last edited by den169; 30-06-2018 at 4:16 PM. Reason: added
    • gunner786
    • By gunner786 5th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gunner786
    Phoned today to renew and haggle.
    Currently
    70mb internet
    Talk anytime £50.

Offered me 100mb net mix tv bundle + talk anytime for £44.

Dont need the tv and he wasnt budging so gave my notice.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 5th Jul 18, 11:02 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    Virgin are a bunch of crooks - I used to write to the forums regularly and my signature was "NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY" - Virgin do not and never have valued existing customers - The annoyance was a Virgin web page published in the backlash of all these complaints that basically said that ALL Virgin Customers have access to ALL Virgin deals and if you are not benefitiing from the advertised deals then you need to talk to an advisor. This web page was to pay lip-service to them valuing existing customers and was buried were nobody could eve find it. Of course if you contact customer service you just got "NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY" irrespective of the reference to that page. I eventually left the scheming, caniving back street operators and would more likely let my daughter buy a second hand car off "Honest Johns Used Cars"

A couple of days ago I spent nearly an hour on the phone trying to get my package which is xl tv broadband + unlimited calls bill reduced from over £75.00. I compared various companies through uswitch and the best offer I found was actually Virgin at £42.00 + line rental for 12 months, but of course this was for new customers and then being told by two of your customer advisers that they could not reduce my account and the best they could do was £60.99 for 12 months!!. I played the I have been with virgin for 9 years!! yes 9 and have three mobile phone contracts with you so in my mind why does this not count for nothing, no loyalty at all! I even told them I have now been on the moneysaving experts website and a lot of people on the forum are complaining about virgin and are leaving due to this price increase and I think I may have to do the same. Is it the last straw to get there attention say your going to leave? Please can anyone let me know what to do
    Originally posted by cjane
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 9,390 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    pmduk
    The annoyance was a Virgin web page published in the backlash of all these complaints that basically said that ALL Virgin Customers have access to ALL Virgin deals and if you are not benefitiing from the advertised deals then you need to talk to an advisor.
    Originally posted by ChrisK.....
    Perhaps you'd care to point us to this page? I'd be interested to see it.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 5th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    This was about 4 years ago so i dont have it now, but Im quite sure they have this posted somewhere for exactly the same reason - to pretend they give a monkeys about their existing customers - There was no link to it from any of the other VM web pages so you can't "find" it - I think VM just share the link when it suits them and I kept it to throw back at them and shred it throughout the VM forums

Perhaps you'd care to point us to this page? I'd be interested to see it.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    • gunner786
    • By gunner786 5th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gunner786
    Just rang again been offered 200mb internet and talk anytime for £43 with £50 off line rental saver at £146.

Works out £33 per month after paying line rental saver and £50 credit
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 9,390 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    pmduk
    This was about 4 years ago so i dont have it now, but Im quite sure they have this posted somewhere for exactly the same reason - to pretend they give a monkeys about their existing customers - There was no link to it from any of the other VM web pages so you can't "find" it - I think VM just share the link when it suits them and I kept it to throw back at them and shred it throughout the VM forums
    Originally posted by ChrisK.....
    Company's policies change from time to time. Just like their products. There's no requirement on them to treat each customer equally, if you don't like it, find another provider, there's lots out there touting for business.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 8th Jul 18, 11:39 AM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    Not too much haggling but cut my bill from £48 to £33 for anytime phone and 50mb broadband. I could have got a slightly cheaper deal elsewhere but there was some doubt about keeping my phone number, so happy with this.
    Je suis sabot...
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 16th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 45,756 Thanks
    Barny1979
    I'm looking to reduce my VM package, my contract ends 4th August, when can I ring to amend package?
    • Anon
    • By Anon 16th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 13,562 Posts
    • 151,485 Thanks
    Anon
    I'm looking to reduce my VM package, my contract ends 4th August, when can I ring to amend package?
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    Now - you have to give 30 days notice and can do so 30 days before the end of month 12.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 16th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 45,756 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Thanks Anon
    • tripleh
    • By tripleh 17th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    tripleh
    Been with VM since the Telewest days. Today I was offered 100mb bb, Full House, Sky Sports and Talk More Anytime for £64.50. Is that any good please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

775Posts Today

7,520Users online

Martin's Twitter