Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 33,025Posts
    • 38,591Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 55
    • zuliano
    • By zuliano 18th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zuliano
    Are you still with them zuliano?
    Originally posted by A Nice Englishman
    well the contract is over, so I am now wondering what to do. I find it confusing looking at these comparisons. For example, IS 17Mb enough for me? I don't [play game and mostly browse the internet, but I dont want things TOO slow

And what about a deal that has 'pay as you go'. I dont tend to phone people much, but is unlimited calls better in the long run than the former? IE what about these calls now where you get these robots that keep you on the phone whilse the meters ticking...?

JUST saw this on Martin's Broadband Unbundled!
    £12.74
    • Effective monthly cost
    • Even cheaper if you opt to pay line rental upfront

Made up of:
    • - £18.99 Plusnet monthly payment
    • + £75.00 claim reward from Plusnet
    # and what exactly does 'pay as you go' mean??
    Last edited by zuliano; 18-04-2018 at 6:45 PM.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 18th Apr 18, 6:53 PM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    well the contract is over, so I am now wondering what to do. I find it confusing looking at these comparisons. For example, IS 17Mb enough for me? I don't [play game and mostly browse the internet, but I dont want things TOO slow

And what about a deal that has 'pay as you go'. I dont tend to phone people much, but is unlimited calls better in the long run than the former? IE what about these calls now where you get these robots that keep you on the phone whilse the meters ticking...?

JUST saw this on Martin's Broadband Unbundled!
    £12.74
    • Effective monthly cost
    • Even cheaper if you opt to pay line rental upfront

Made up of:
    • - £18.99 Plusnet monthly payment
    • + £75.00 claim reward from Plusnet
    Originally posted by zuliano
    What speed do Plusnet offer for that price? If, like me, it's less than 4 Mb/s you probably won't be happy if you're used to 50Mb/s of more from Virgin.

Can you use your mobile for outgoing calls, or make them at weekends on cheaper or inclusive rates?
    • zuliano
    • By zuliano 18th Apr 18, 7:54 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zuliano
    What speed do Plusnet offer for that price? If, like me, it's less than 4 Mb/s you probably won't be happy if you're used to 50Mb/s of more from Virgin.

Can you use your mobile for outgoing calls, or make them at weekends on cheaper or inclusive rates?
    Up to 17Mb Broadband
    I spose then that 17mb would seem very slow in comparison? Even if you mostly just browse internet?
    Do you play games, for example?

I don't actually own a mobile phone. I just use landline, but apart from business calls/practical matters (usually those calls that have robots and having you press 1,2. 3 etc etc and awful muzac I dont call friends much

So your saying I should look for 50mb that is better deal?

is there also such a great difference between 38mb and 50mb
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 18th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    I spose then that 17mb would seem very slow in comparison? Even if you mostly just browse internet?
    Do you play games, for example?

I don't actually own a mobile phone. I just use landline, but apart from business calls/practical matters (usually those calls that have robots and having you press 1,2. 3 etc etc and awful muzac I dont call friends much

So your saying I should look for 50mb that is better deal?

is there also such a great difference between 38mb and 50mb
    It's the 'up to' that's important. If you use the Plusnet checker what speed does it say you are actually likely to get? I mainly browse the web and stream a bit of video and I think at least 5Mb/s is recommended for good video. If only one person is going to be using the internet at a time I wouldn't pay extra to get 50 instead of 38.

https://www.plus.net/signup/linecheck/

Regarding the call package, you'd have to work out how much you'd pay in a typical month on pay-as-you-go and compare that with the packages offered.
    Last edited by A Nice Englishman; 18-04-2018 at 8:28 PM.
    • zuliano
    • By zuliano 18th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zuliano
    It's the 'up to' that's important. If you use the Plusnet checker what speed does it say you are actually likely to get? I mainly browse the web and stream a bit of video and I think at least 5Mb/s is recommended for good video. If only one person is going to be using the internet at a time I wouldn't pay extra to get 50 instead of 38.

https://www.plus.net/signup/linecheck/

Regarding the call package, you'd have to work out how much you'd pay in a typical month on pay-as-you-go and compare that with the packages offered.
    eeeeks, I wouldn't even know how to calculate that and am VERY bad with numbers!

well I do watch a lot of videos, so your saying even 5 mb is OK for that...? And that 38mb is OK if just one person uses it? I only use it. I am not sure how much I am getting from VM. I will try and find out later.

It is like all their zillions of channels. I usually only watch BBC channels!!!
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 19th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    eeeeks, I wouldn't even know how to calculate that and am VERY bad with numbers!

well I do watch a lot of videos, so your saying even 5 mb is OK for that...? And that 38mb is OK if just one person uses it? I only use it. I am not sure how much I am getting from VM. I will try and find out later.

It is like all their zillions of channels. I usually only watch BBC channels!!!
    My reply seems to have got lost during the maintenance.

Calls:
    Why not go for the minimum call package initially , then see if a higher one would save you money after you've had a couple of bills in?

Speed:
    BBC say you need ' a bit more than 2.8' for iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/troubleshooting/web/Insufficient_bandwidth

Netflix say 3 for SD or 5 for HD
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306?ui_action=kb-article-popular-categories

Tv channels:
    Why are you paying VM for all those channels if you only watch BBC?
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 21st Apr 18, 11:25 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    whattochoose
    First the good news.£3 knocked off my bill to £26. Broadband speed increased from 70 to 100 mbps. Also have TIVO box, MIX TV package and pay RLS.
    The bad news - I requested an online contract detailing new agreement - however it took SEVEN phone calls on my part before somebody told me they presently have an issue with sending emails, and would send me a physical copy by post.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 21st Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Cancellation gone in, having had a bill of £40 for 70Mb and Talk weekend! (I don't have a home phone)

I used Vodafone for comparison - £21.00 a month for 38Mb.

They said I use a lot (I do indeed).

They first offered 50Mb and Talk Weekend for £33 - no thank you.

50Mb Broandband only - £24.00 - Yes please, as thought well no messing around waiting for callback (I never had one last time) and no engineer to install a phone line if went with Vodafone and paying £60 for new installation.

However asked how long contract was for, and for some reason it would not allow the price to go through (). Said the lowest they can do is £29.00 with £50 knocked off first bill.

It's a no thank you and fingers crossed for a callback.

I want at least £21 based on what others are getting here, more for about £25-£30. I only want 50Mb Broadband.

If nothing by 30/04/18, then I arrange to set-up Vodafone, they offer £50 Amazon giftcard, so really £10 installation cost.

Drawback is, I have no BT line.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 21-04-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    • Loo44
    • By Loo44 23rd Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    Loo44
    Notice given
    VM lady really couldnít have been more bothered! She accepted my wanting to leave without even trying to keep me. All she said was for the next month, Iíd be paying £19 for my phone line rental and I would be paying more for all calls made. I donít think retention department will even try to call me back! Was paying £82 pcm for TiVo, 150 mb bb, full house tv, anytime calls.
    • aylesby
    • By aylesby 24th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    aylesby
    Same experience here - VM lady really could not be bothered. She accepted my wanting to leave offered a selection of additional but unwanted Sky packs. Paying £95 pcm and gone in 10 minutes.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th May 18, 8:24 AM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Cancellation gone in, having had a bill of £40 for 70Mb and Talk weekend! (I don't have a home phone)

I used Vodafone for comparison - £21.00 a month for 38Mb.

They said I use a lot (I do indeed).

They first offered 50Mb and Talk Weekend for £33 - no thank you.

50Mb Broandband only - £24.00 - Yes please, as thought well no messing around waiting for callback (I never had one last time) and no engineer to install a phone line if went with Vodafone and paying £60 for new installation.

However asked how long contract was for, and for some reason it would not allow the price to go through (). Said the lowest they can do is £29.00 with £50 knocked off first bill.

It's a no thank you and fingers crossed for a callback.

I want at least £21 based on what others are getting here, more for about £25-£30. I only want 50Mb Broadband.

If nothing by 30/04/18, then I arrange to set-up Vodafone, they offer £50 Amazon giftcard, so really £10 installation cost.

Drawback is, I have no BT line.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Cancelled 21/4/18, still no callback and forgot to put the Vodafone offer to put it through.
    • Loo44
    • By Loo44 6th May 18, 10:12 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    Loo44
    I cancelled my vm contract, 2 days later retention team called to try to keep me. Was offered new v6, fh tv, 100 bb, TiVo upstairs, anytime calls and sky sports for 12 months £54 (was paying £80 before). I accepted. Engineer came and updated and fitted equipment last Saturday. Today we discover we have no sky sports. On calling the really obnoxious, rude and unhelpful customer services team, I was told there was no deal on my account for sky sports. I am liar then! Ryan wouldn!!!8217;t let me speak to supervisor or escalate my claim. I still have 5 days of my 14 day cooling off period left. Ryan told me I could give my notice, but account would revert to £80 old payment. I!!!8217;m fuming. How do I escalate this please? All I can find so far is the retention!!!8217;s team who were rubbish.
    • tg99
    • By tg99 6th May 18, 10:22 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    tg99
    I cancelled my vm contract, 2 days later retention team called to try to keep me. Was offered new v6, fh tv, 100 bb, TiVo upstairs, anytime calls and sky sports for 12 months £54 (was paying £80 before). I accepted. Engineer came and updated and fitted equipment last Saturday. Today we discover we have no sky sports. On calling the really obnoxious, rude and unhelpful customer services team, I was told there was no deal on my account for sky sports. I am liar then! Ryan wouldn!!!8217;t let me speak to supervisor or escalate my claim. I still have 5 days of my 14 day cooling off period left. Ryan told me I could give my notice, but account would revert to £80 old payment. I!!!8217;m fuming. How do I escalate this please? All I can find so far is the retention!!!8217;s team who were rubbish.
    Originally posted by Loo44
    Make a formal complaint and request the call is listened to if they dispute it (though they may try and say they havenít got a recording).
    • Loo44
    • By Loo44 6th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    Loo44
    Make a formal complaint and request the call is listened to if they dispute it (though they may try and say they havenít got a recording).
    Originally posted by tg99
    Thank you. I assume that!!!8217;s going via the 150 retentions number?
    • tg99
    • By tg99 6th May 18, 10:56 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    tg99
    Thank you. I assume that!!!8217;s going via the 150 retentions number?
    See here:

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practice.pdf
    • Anon
    • By Anon 7th May 18, 12:08 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 144,779 Thanks
    Anon
    If you prefer to complain online the Resolver service may be worth using - www.resolver.co.uk. I hope you get it sorted.
    • riptide12
    • By riptide12 7th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    riptide12
    I had a situation a few years ago where the sales person promised a certain price for a new deal, but when it came through on my bill it was way more expensive. When I complained they said they couldn't listen to the recording, but I pushed it and they eventually said they'd match the price they promised. They never admitted they'd listened to the call, but there's no way they'd have honoured the original if they didn't think it could be proved. So keep pushing them to investigate, speak to a manager if you can.
    • planetf1
    • By planetf1 8th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    planetf1
    About 2 weeks ago having been on my first (new street install) contract with full house tv+200 Mbs gamer I phoned to negotiate and got offered
    * VIP (adds phone line, BB to 350 another box, and sports/mobies all in HD) - £85.??
    * 350 BB only - £38

I took the latter and am sticking with sky for the former (though more pricey) mostly due to more devices on skygo and more confidence any changes with f1 package as sky own.. I don't care for other sports/movies. I'm intrigued to try skyq in future.

That being said I'm having second thoughts on whether to go with the tv too. 14 day cooling off period ends later this week
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • getchin
    • By getchin 14th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    getchin
    Just in the process of doing this song and dance; we're a very high usage household with gamers, streamers etc so I'm not too confident after reading about them not offering discounts to high usage customers.

Will update this as it goes on.

14/05
    Call to cancel: put through to extremely rude foreign VM rep who could only offer £1pm off our bill
    Cancellation processed.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 15th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Just in the process of doing this song and dance; we're a very high usage household with gamers, streamers etc so I'm not too confident after reading about them not offering discounts to high usage customers.

Will update this as it goes on.

14/05
    Call to cancel: put through to extremely rude foreign VM rep who could only offer £1pm off our bill
    Cancellation processed.
    Originally posted by getchin
    I have 5 or 6 days left, no callback, very high usage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

4,836Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin