Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 34,100Posts
    • 40,233Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 54
    • Gummomarx
    • By Gummomarx 9th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Gummomarx
    They are text confirmations of their offers only. I'd asked them to email them but they said they're expected to text them instead.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 9th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 13,636 Posts
    • 152,239 Thanks
    Anon
    They are text confirmations of their offers only. I'd asked them to email them but they said they're expected to text them instead.
    Originally posted by Gummomarx
    Have you accepted? Or waiting for a better deal? Thank you.
    • BillTrac
    • By BillTrac 9th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    BillTrac
    So frustrating.

I'm on the VM 100mbs package,BB only. Don't want, or need, line rental or TV.

When I took out the contract in late Dec 16 it was 23 for 12 months rising to 34 after that. Well, when the 12 months was up it became 40 not 34 so that bugged me straight away.
    Looking for a simple , decent speed, BB only deal but getting nowhere with VM.

Aaaargh!!!!!
    • Gummomarx
    • By Gummomarx 9th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Gummomarx
    Have you accepted? Or waiting for a better deal? Thank you.
    Originally posted by Anon
    I talked to Paul - he offered me the same deal:
    52.99 for TV Mix, broadband 100 and Talk More Anytime with the first month free (works out at 48.50 pm).

He told me that the text wouldn't contain the actual offer but a reference to what I was offered during the prior call. I then would reply YES or NO. He also claimed that, since I used 450GB of bandwith in the last month and saved 30 in calls via Talk More Anytime, no other provider could match that usage with the price they've quoted.

Here's the text (I haven't replied):
    "Hi, it's Virgin Media. Fancy taking that offer we chatted about recently? If you do, just reply with YES and we'll get everything sorted."
    • sheeps68
    • By sheeps68 9th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    sheeps68
    Well I called and got a better deal. I finished up paying upfront for my line rental and 40 a month with a 30 credit. Interestingly they were able to downgrade my package a fraction to one they no longer list as an option. I had channels I was no longer using.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 9th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    MABLE
    I recently spoke to retentions about our account. We have broadband 200mb speed, the largest TV package and a land line which is never plugged in. Also free weekend calls and again never used. They have now quoted us
    70 pounds stg a month and gave us a credit of 60 pounds stg.

I did say about giving up the landline but it worked out dearer not to have it.
    • Gummomarx
    • By Gummomarx 10th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Gummomarx
    I finished up paying upfront for my line rental and 40 a month.
    Originally posted by sheeps68
    What package are you on?
    • sheeps68
    • By sheeps68 10th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    sheeps68
    What package are you on?
    Originally posted by Gummomarx
    Fun TV (Was previously on full house)
    100 Broadband
    Evening & weekend calls.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 10th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Someone in that thread stating that you don't get decent deals if you use a lot of data. Bad news if true as I'm trying to get something for my son who apparently downloaded over 400GB over the past month.
    Originally posted by faddy
    I believe it's true, I download roughly the same.

I contacted them last year, when phoned to cancel, the woman practically said you wont get anyone else who offers similar due to my download.

Cancel put through, no phone call, it was who had to phone 3 hours before cut off and pay the same price!! Now it's 33 with 50Mb or is it 70Mb and free weekend calls (don't have a landline).
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Following on, just had an email of my statement from December 2017 to February 2018, my download is 903GB
    • SamJ35
    • By SamJ35 10th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    SamJ35
    Following on, just had an email of my statement from December 2017 to February 2018, my download is 903GB
    My email is showing as 1015GB between December and February. Not looking good if the above about retention deals for heavy users are not forthcoming!

On a side note, I've recently switched to a V6 box for no extra monthly cost. My 12 month contract online says my start of contract is September 2017. The website however states my agreement started March 2017 and the contract says 'date of change' as March 2017. Does this mean my contract is now not up for renewal until March 2018? - !!!!!! if so as was looking to jump on board a tasty retention deal in September!
    • sheeps68
    • By sheeps68 11th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    sheeps68
    My email is showing as 1015GB between December and February. Not looking good if the above about retention deals for heavy users are not forthcoming!

On a side note, I've recently switched to a V6 box for no extra monthly cost. My 12 month contract online says my start of contract is September 2017. The website however states my agreement started March 2017 and the contract says 'date of change' as March 2017. Does this mean my contract is now not up for renewal until March 2018? - !!!!!! if so as was looking to jump on board a tasty retention deal in September!
    Originally posted by SamJ35
    Just to confuse the issue even further my contract on website stated my contract date was the date of signing for V6 box which I also got for free so why it would be a year prior to that who knows.
    • Gummomarx
    • By Gummomarx 11th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Gummomarx
    Just to confuse the issue even further my contract on website stated my contract date was the date of signing for V6 box which I also got for free so why it would be a year prior to that who knows.
    Originally posted by sheeps68
    Time to call them.
    • thor
    • By thor 13th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 5,269 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    thor
    I am on day 28 of 30 and have just called to cancel the contract termination after deciding that they won't be calling me back this late in the day. I don't know if it is worth trying again a few months down the line now that they have called my bluff.
    Has anyone got retentions to call the back them back after cancelling the cancellation the first time round?
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 14th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    c_smith
    Yes, it happened to me a few years ago too. I waited a few weeks and repeated the process and got the call. But that time, I had decided I was definitely prepared to leave and had signed up to a much cheaper Sky deal, so I'd suggest you do the same. When signing up to Sky you have 30 days to cancel the installation at no cost to yourself, so set the installation date for day 30 and wait to see if Virgin call. I actually ended up in the situation where when I phoned up to cancel the Sky installation they dropped their price even further to undercut Virgin, then Virgin dropped their price again. Make them fight for your business!
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 14th Apr 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    VM Broadband Only
    Without really trying - I didn't threaten to cancel - I was offered and accepted 100Mb/s broadband for 25 a month which is cheaper than new customers get. 12 month contract, 18 months discount.

Previously I was paying 36.95 for 70 Mb/s but the service has been rock solid with only one outage in ten years.

Should I have haggled more?
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 15th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    Marvel1
    I am on day 28 of 30 and have just called to cancel the contract termination after deciding that they won't be calling me back this late in the day. I don't know if it is worth trying again a few months down the line now that they have called my bluff.
    Has anyone got retentions to call the back them back after cancelling the cancellation the first time round?
    Originally posted by thor
    No call back for me, I had to call with 5 hours left.

Out of curiosity, have had you a value statement stating how much you have downloaded?
    • thor
    • By thor 15th Apr 18, 3:25 PM
    • 5,269 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    thor
    No call back for me, I had to call with 5 hours left.

Out of curiosity, have had you a value statement stating how much you have downloaded?
    No I have not but I estimate I probably download about 50GB per month so I wouldn't class myself as a high user but perhaps VM think otherwise.
    Maybe the rumours are true that they have implemented a policy to not offer deals to high users now as this is the first time my threat has failed.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 16th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    Marvel1
    No I have not but I estimate I probably download about 50GB per month so I wouldn't class myself as a high user but perhaps VM think otherwise.
    Maybe the rumours are true that they have implemented a policy to not offer deals to high users now as this is the first time my threat has failed.
    Originally posted by thor
    Odd, inwould class that as a low user.
    • zuliano
    • By zuliano 18th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zuliano
    I am confused. Usually the general consensus amongst various people I have spoken to is that VM is really expensive, and yet here on this forum at money SAVING expert I keep hearing people with VM...??
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 18th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    I am confused. Usually the general consensus amongst various people I have spoken to is that VM is really expensive, and yet here on this forum at money SAVING expert I keep hearing people with VM...??
    Originally posted by zuliano
    Are you still with them zuliano?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,590Posts Today

7,170Users online

Martin's Twitter