Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 33,062Posts
    • 38,625Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 51
    • lloydee1983
    • By lloydee1983 9th Mar 18, 5:33 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lloydee1983
    Wow that's blinding
    • Anon
    • By Anon 9th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 12,793 Posts
    • 144,956 Thanks
    Anon
    Report on here that someone achieved £19 for 100mb BB and phone line, another the same price including Player TV:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/retention-deal-virgin-media-broadband-phone-line-1940pm-x-12-months-23280-2906445

If you have cancelled but have had no callback, you could try ordering from another supplier including transferring your phone (B T can be good as you can request any install costs are taken from the first bill, which happens post install and you will have cancelled by then . You could also phone retentions (options 1, 1, 4, 5 on the menu) and ask if they could get the Outbound team to call.

HTH
    • faddy
    • By faddy 9th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    faddy
    Report on here that someone achieved £19 for 100mb BB and phone line, another the same price including Player TV:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/retention-deal-virgin-media-broadband-phone-line-1940pm-x-12-months-23280-2906445

If you have cancelled but have had no callback, you could try ordering from another supplier including transferring your phone (B T can be good as you can request any install costs are taken from the first bill, which happens post install and you will have cancelled by then . You could also phone retentions (options 1, 1, 4, 5 on the menu) and ask if they could get the Outbound team to call.

HTH
    Originally posted by Anon
    Someone in that thread stating that you don't get decent deals if you use a lot of data. Bad news if true as I'm trying to get something for my son who apparently downloaded over 400GB over the past month.

Same guy saying he got a new customer deal a couple of weeks after leaving. Don't VM enforce a minimum break before accepting you as a new customer?
    Last edited by faddy; 09-03-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    • lloydee1983
    • By lloydee1983 9th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lloydee1983
    Does anyone know when a drop in speed kicks in? i.e if you negotiated a cheaper and newer contract but take a drop in speed?

It's been few days now since negotiating a new contract, got all the paperwork and contract through. But still have my speed from my old contract.

When I upgraded in the past, I got the upgrade speed immediately.

How long does downgrade speed take to kick in ?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 31,689 Posts
    • 19,985 Thanks
    DCFC79

Same guy saying he got a new customer deal a couple of weeks after leaving. Don't VM enforce a minimum break before accepting you as a new customer?
    Originally posted by faddy
    Ive been told its 30 days.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 11th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 12,793 Posts
    • 144,956 Thanks
    Anon
    Does anyone know when a drop in speed kicks in? i.e if you negotiated a cheaper and newer contract but take a drop in speed?

It's been few days now since negotiating a new contract, got all the paperwork and contract through. But still have my speed from my old contract.

When I upgraded in the past, I got the upgrade speed immediately.

How long does downgrade speed take to kick in ?
    Originally posted by lloydee1983
    Normally instantly if they have processed it correctly, I would expect. Is there any indication of the package change on your MyVirginMedia online?
    • lloydee1983
    • By lloydee1983 12th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lloydee1983
    Account hasn't been updated, but new contract receipt is in my account. New contract starts from the 6th of April when my 12 months is up . I assume they will adjust the speeds then , unless they're gonna let me stay on the 100mb with the discount !!!128514;
    • alan17
    • By alan17 13th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    alan17
    Just an update,

Took 3 working days for my call back from outbound retentionís.

I accepted
    V6 Xl TV
    100mb BB
    Anytime calls

£45, it was £55 on first offer but negotiated it down. Not amazing but I was happy with it as the alternate with BT worked out the same and this was less hassle.
    • wallace12
    • By wallace12 13th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    wallace12
    Negotiating with virgin media has changed
    Hi I have been reading this thread for the past couple of months as I was approaching the end of my contract. Did the usual cancelled got retentions now called outboard team. Did the usual (as previous years) I wasn't happy with final offer so terminated. Long story short no other phone call services cut off. Phoned sales got Indian call centre, agent spoke good english and I agreed a deal I was happy with, no email appeared to confirm deal. I phoned to be told I was put onto basic tv package which was completely different from full house bundle 100mbs broadband and phone with sky sportts for £61.I wast old there was miscommunication and they couldn't offer this.. I agreed on another package without sky sports for £51. In the years Ive been with Virgin, Ive never been messed around like this, i definitely think their tactics have changed so beware they will cut you off now.
    • xoleeb
    • By xoleeb 14th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    xoleeb
    Retentions quick off the mark
    I rang and gave notice on Monday as the first line agent was not interested in any discounts or even alternative packages - so asked for disconnection - this afternoon just two and a bit days later had "Loyalty" dept call me and offer me a deal that I was more than happy with - basically meant an increase to 300mb Broadband and a reduction of over £20 per month - the only thing I had to lose was Disney and BT sports channels and a couple of the documentary channels - none of which we bother with anyway
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 15th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    m0bov
    Be careful. When i negotiated a deal they only applied it for 9 months. I called up they adjusted, but the contract whilst it showed full 12m discount it was 9m again!

Called again and got a 9m contract. Nowhere on my contract did it say 9months. I pointed this out as i felt duped. He just says hes telling me now.
    • lloydee1983
    • By lloydee1983 18th Mar 18, 5:26 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lloydee1983
    If I get any price increases I'm leaving
    • truescot
    • By truescot 19th Mar 18, 11:31 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    truescot
    I am now paying around £120 for

Full House TV with TIVO
    SkySports
    Talk Anytime
    200mb BB
    Second old VHD box

My family use this whole package but the price seems far too high. Cancelled over a month ago bat never received a call-back so had to phone a couple of days before cancellation to stop the cancel going through.

Feel like they've got me over barrel, and they dont call bnack as they know I am not really going to cancle (I have done this before) but I know I'm paying too much - should I cancel again and hope I get a call-back?
    Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler
    • Anon
    • By Anon 19th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 12,793 Posts
    • 144,956 Thanks
    Anon

Full House TV with TIVO
    SkySports
    Talk Anytime
    200mb BB
    Second old VHD box

My family use this whole package but the price seems far too high. Cancelled over a month ago bat never received a call-back so had to phone a couple of days before cancellation to stop the cancel going through.

Feel like they've got me over barrel, and they dont call bnack as they know I am not really going to cancle (I have done this before) but I know I'm paying too much - should I cancel again and hope I get a call-back?
    Originally posted by truescot
    I would cancel again or put in an order with BT to see if that prompts a response.
    • lloydee1983
    • By lloydee1983 20th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lloydee1983
    Have they got your correct contact number? Also I think it's best off giving them a contactable mobile number instead of a landline number and tell them to ring you in the evenings if you're out working all day.
    • onejontwo
    • By onejontwo 20th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    onejontwo

Full House TV with TIVO
    SkySports
    Talk Anytime
    200mb BB
    Second old VHD box

Originally posted by truescot
    I'm on roughly the same package as you but with sky movies instead of sky sports and with a second v6 box for £63 line rental included. I received several call backs before I agreed. One thing you could try is get through to the "thinking of leaving us " option and say you rang to clarify the disconnection date as you're about to sign up with sky or whoever, have some figures ready and this might prompt them to do a deal although it will not be as good a deal as when they ring you back ,but at least it's a starting point.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 20th Mar 18, 10:18 PM
    • 12,793 Posts
    • 144,956 Thanks
    Anon
    I was called back once about a week after cancelling, then nothing else despite ordering from BT. Near the end I phoned asking for a callback and was told as I rejected the offer then I would receive no further calls. I think I was just unlucky as others have reported multiple calls, particularly after signing up to transfer the number. I transferred to BT last week - and the router is a significant improvement. Just deciding when to transfer back with the new TopCashback offer.
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 20th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 5,469 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    malkie76
    We had an e mail from them to confirm our new agreement. Thank goodness they did.
    We were paying 131.00 a month, and well out of contract. Call made to cancel, and offered 100.00 which I declined, and went ahead with cancellation.
    Two days later had the call, confirming everything we had, with a reduction on the Internet, which was fine, to 59.00 ..practically bit their hand off with that offer.
    Few hours later, in came the eml. They had cancelled everything, except a basic package. All sports gone. Film. Extra room. Back to evening and weekend call.
    Had to make a further call to query, and told sorry, but we can't offer that, but we can offer you the package you have with a further 12 months contract, for 101.00
    Don't think so!!
    Continued with cancellation .. Now about to investigate what offers out there for sky.
    Originally posted by mickey54
    Similar story here.

Currently paying over the odds at £140 for VIP (everything they offer), which is £88 for new customers. Called them and was offered VIP for £89 so signed up immediately.

Got the email contract and they!!!8217;ve removed Sports and Movies, and this evening it cut off those channels on my box.

Absolutely shocking service.

I!!!8217;ll call in the morning and expect a fight to get what I was actually offered.

[edit]

So I call back this morning and was told they couldn't re-add Sports until I had a new V6 box installed because their agent had made a mess of my package. After a long hold they then said they could, and that I'd get a new V6 anyway, and they'd honour the £89 for VIP.

Bit of a shambles really, and I'm not actually getting a better deal than new customers would, but I've taken it.
    Last edited by malkie76; 21-03-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Legal team on standby
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 21st Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    GTR King
    How can people get Vip Bundle for £88 Cheapest you can get it is £79... (Virgin Media Partners website)

When I rung them up (Mum pays for virgin at moment) best they could offer was £120 then £110 I keep fighting with them to get it down to £79 but they wouldn't budge... & said where did I see that deal, I Told them Virgin Media partners & they said it broker site etc.. & £88 deal was for new customers...

How can I get that deal I rung them twice...

I wanna pay for it, & don't wanna pay more then £90
    Last edited by GTR King; 21-03-2018 at 8:44 PM.
    • biggie28
    • By biggie28 22nd Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    biggie28
    350mb w/ phone for £30 pm
    cancelled on 28th feb, got offered 100mb for £30 with 2months free. went on holidays for 2 weeks, got a call back from retentions team on the 21st march

signed up to 350mb vivid with phone line and weekend calls for £30 a month
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin