Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 33,019Posts
    • 38,586Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 50
    • alan17
    • By alan17 17th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    alan17
    I actually bought a BT package last year as the outbound calls offer was poor, for me the port number date was set about 10 days before my new equipment was arriving. So I had to wait a couple of weeks, then on that day BT requested to move it, Virgin called and luckily I answered as I got a good deal.

I then had to go online and cancel my bt equipment etc.
    It was a bit concerning getting so close to the new equipment arriving.

I cancelled with virgin last Thursday, no call yet. I have less patience this year and may just leave to be honest.
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 18th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    c_smith
    Do retentions call back if you phone up and only give notification of cancellation of one or two service? For example if you keep the phone and broadband but give 30 days notice to cancel the tv?
    • Anon
    • By Anon 19th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 12,768 Posts
    • 144,684 Thanks
    Anon
    Do retentions call back if you phone up and only give notification of cancellation of one or two service? For example if you keep the phone and broadband but give 30 days notice to cancel the tv?
    Originally posted by c_smith
    I don't know but suspect that is just seen as a service change rather than a cancellation (though I appreciate that it is cancelling a service).
    • Anon
    • By Anon 19th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    • 12,768 Posts
    • 144,684 Thanks
    Anon
    I spoke to BT when considering going down the port number route and they stated that as soon as I signed up then they notify Virgin that I am moving providers and have requested to port my number. From what Iíve heard elsewhere, Virgin outbound Ďportsí team are pretty quick to call straight after this within a couple of days or so hence you still have enough time to then cancel the BT sign up given the 14 day cooling off period.
    Originally posted by tg99
    Thank you. Did you activate the port and VM come up with a better deal? So far Outbound have only gone as far as £48 (for Full house including 100MB BB, weekend calls, 1 x V6, 1 x Tivo) which still seems expensive to me having achieved £28 last year and having seen offers that some people have achieved.
    • tg99
    • By tg99 19th Feb 18, 8:35 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    tg99
    Thank you. Did you activate the port and VM come up with a better deal? So far Outbound have only gone as far as £48 (for Full house including 100MB BB, weekend calls, 1 x V6, 1 x Tivo) which still seems expensive to me having achieved £28 last year and having seen offers that some people have achieved.
    Originally posted by Anon
    Yep seems a bit pricier than my deal which same as yours except without the V6 but with complete sky sports package (Iím paying c£53 pm I think).

In the end I managed to get back in contact with outbound before I needed to activate the port.
    • ap823
    • By ap823 20th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ap823
    Full house bundle with extra Tivo box for £47.50
    The usual annual procedure. Cancelled, then within a week received a call from outbound team with an offer which I have rejected. After several minutes on hold the offer was improved to £47.50 per month with 12 month contract for the same services as I had before:
    • Full House TV (XL)
    • V6 box and an additional TiVo box
    • VIVID 200 broadband
    • Phone line rental included with Talk Weekends.
    £47.50 is a few pounds better than I had before the cancellation, so I have accepted.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 21st Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 37,213 Posts
    • 156,766 Thanks
    silvercar
    For the first time that I can remember, VM refused to offer me anything! They said I was getting their full package which basically outstripped anything their rivals could offer, so there was nothing to offer me.

Asked to be transferred to disconnections and surprisingly (or not) they had offers for me!
    • faddy
    • By faddy 24th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    faddy
    I'm trying to help a family member reduce his VM bill. He currently has TV, broadband and phone but is looking to reduce to broadband only (though I understand that keeping the phone as well is likely to work out cheaper). I've seen recent reports in this thread of people getting Outbound offers of £20pm for 100Mbps and £18pm for 50Mbps. Can we expect to get these offers with a bit of persistence or is it all a bit hit and miss?

On this Virgin Media Insider Retentions Tips thread there's mention of the Outbound Port Callback team. Is that another name for Outbound retentions or is that yet another team? Is a number porting request from another ISP sufficient to trigger a call from Outbound even if you haven't put in your cancellation with VM? Otherwise what's the best way of timing the cancellation request and the order to a new provider to ensure that you get a decent offer from Outbound within the new provider's cooling off period?
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 24th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    stevie11
    Been with VM for about 5 years , 2 years on current plan. I have tried previously to reduce my bill which was in £90s per month for 100 mbps, 24/7 calls and international calls and XL tv and 2 boxes.

After signing up to a new BT package, I called VM to cancel and ended up with a better deal than BT but with added sky sports package. So now 100 mbps, Mix tv package, anytime plus international calls, dropped to 1 box but replaced with a new V6. £48 a month plus £150 upfront line rental for 12 months.

That was the first retention offer without any haggling, so I was happy saving £35 a month but with the added sports channels and no inconvenience of moving.
    • onejontwo
    • By onejontwo 25th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    onejontwo
    Has anyone of the above new deals had their contracts yet? The reason I'm asking is that just having renegotiated another deal (yet again) I can't get a digital contract on the "my virgin media" account and as It might take a month or two to see what I'm actually paying after all the juggling of numbers etc. that I might be out of the "cooling off" period to cancel my contract if it turns out that the figures that they gave to me were wrong.
    I mention this as the last two times they promised me x price but billed me y price plus line rental, which took a great deal of time to get sorted.
    • faddy
    • By faddy 25th Feb 18, 3:13 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    faddy
    Has anyone of the above new deals had their contracts yet? The reason I'm asking is that just having renegotiated another deal (yet again) I can't get a digital contract on the "my virgin media" account and as It might take a month or two to see what I'm actually paying after all the juggling of numbers etc. that I might be out of the "cooling off" period to cancel my contract if it turns out that the figures that they gave to me were wrong.
    I mention this as the last two times they promised me x price but billed me y price plus line rental, which took a great deal of time to get sorted.
    Originally posted by onejontwo
    Can their retentions people ever be persuaded to put offers into emails?
    • mickey54
    • By mickey54 25th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    mickey54
    We had an e mail from them to confirm our new agreement. Thank goodness they did.
    We were paying 131.00 a month, and well out of contract. Call made to cancel, and offered 100.00 which I declined, and went ahead with cancellation.
    Two days later had the call, confirming everything we had, with a reduction on the Internet, which was fine, to 59.00 ..practically bit their hand off with that offer.
    Few hours later, in came the eml. They had cancelled everything, except a basic package. All sports gone. Film. Extra room. Back to evening and weekend call.
    Had to make a further call to query, and told sorry, but we can't offer that, but we can offer you the package you have with a further 12 months contract, for 101.00
    Don't think so!!
    Continued with cancellation .. Now about to investigate what offers out there for sky.
    • tg99
    • By tg99 25th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    tg99
    We had an e mail from them to confirm our new agreement. Thank goodness they did.
    We were paying 131.00 a month, and well out of contract. Call made to cancel, and offered 100.00 which I declined, and went ahead with cancellation.
    Two days later had the call, confirming everything we had, with a reduction on the Internet, which was fine, to 59.00 ..practically bit their hand off with that offer.
    Few hours later, in came the eml. They had cancelled everything, except a basic package. All sports gone. Film. Extra room. Back to evening and weekend call.
    Had to make a further call to query, and told sorry, but we can't offer that, but we can offer you the package you have with a further 12 months contract, for 101.00
    Don't think so!!
    Continued with cancellation .. Now about to investigate what offers out there for sky.
    Originally posted by mickey54
    You could make a complaint and request the call where you were offered the £59 is listened to and thus the deal you agreed is honoured?
    • mickey54
    • By mickey54 25th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    mickey54
    Tried that, was told they don't record all calls. Got the impression that the call handler couldn't be bothered one way or another.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 25th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    drphila
    Originally posted by onejontwo
    Cooling off period doesn't start until you're informed in writing of your right to such a period (up to a maximum of 365 days)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
    • harj1185
    • By harj1185 28th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    harj1185
    Retentions Deal
    Was on £20 a month for 100mb net, weekend calls and basic TV (only used the internet) which expired in Feb.

Put in a cancellation as not here for the next 3 months, was nothing near that level, and cancellation went through the 2nd time of asking (first agent didn't cancel - awaiting answer to complaint ).

That was on Monday, had a call back today - was offered 100mb net, weekend calls and basic TV for £26 and 2 months free. Declined and was then offered 200mb and weekend calls (no TV) for £23 with 2 months free, asked for 3 and he agreed. Happy with that overall, no email yet so hope it is actually honoured!!!
    • highnal
    • By highnal 2nd Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    highnal
    Getting nervous.... 9 days to go until disconnection and I still haven't received a callback!!

What are my options? Sit and wait?
    • lloydee1983
    • By lloydee1983 5th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lloydee1983
    Right now I have 100mb broadband only , I pay 32.25 a month. Contract is up and it's still gonna stay at the same price.
    Today I put in a request to cancel and they just did it , no questions asked or nothing. Didn't even get offered anything. So I will be looking at others , may go with Vodafone anyone ever been with them before?
    • lloydee1983
    • By lloydee1983 7th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lloydee1983
    Got offered 100mb broadband only for £28 a month, said no. Then got offered 50mb broadband only for £23 a month and a month free. 12 month contract, but discount for 18 months . I took it
    • Aye Up
    • By Aye Up 8th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Aye Up
    VIVID 300 and Phone line - £28pm

Bit their hands off when they called to offer that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin