Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    • 32,837Posts
    • 38,429Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 8:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 8:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 8:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 49
    • chib
    • By chib 5th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    chib
    Great deal! Good job.

Question for the group - around the same time that I'll be negotiating a package with Virgin Media I will also be looking to get a SIM Only mobile deal, do the cable teams also attempt to get you to sign up to mobile? Could do two birds with one stone. It's looking likely that I'll be going with Virgin Mobile regardless.
    • onejontwo
    • By onejontwo 5th Feb 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    onejontwo
    First post, hope I've got this right!

Was on Full House Package at £35 per month, 12 month contract now coming to an end, facing a monthly increase to around £80 to retain package.
    Called VM 20th January and gave 30 days notice to cancel contract. Was offered reduced package for a little more than we pay now, but declined and advised VM to go ahead with cancellation.
    Called VM Saturday 3rd Feb regarding a query about billing, an attempt was made to retain us, offering the same Full House package for £60 per month, or £50 per month if we reduced the broadband speed from 200mb to 100mb, again we declined and asked for cancellation the continue .
    Recieved a phone call today (05/02/18) from retentions team, offered us our current Full House package (including 200mb broadband) for £40, we accepted and are happy with this deal.
    Originally posted by Yevrah69
    Including line rental?
    • baldeagle09
    • By baldeagle09 5th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    baldeagle09
    I am paying £29.49 per month for basic player bundle, talk weekends and 50 mb broadband.
    Recently they asked me to pay upfront £196 for line rental. I thought my package would have been adjusted to reflect this. In effect I am paying £48.49 for bog standard package. I am ripping that they never explained this when they asked me to pay the line rental. Will be one less customer at the end of the year. Any advance suggestions what I should go for.
    • Yevrah69
    • By Yevrah69 6th Feb 18, 3:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yevrah69
    Including line rental?
    Originally posted by onejontwo
    Yes, I understand all VM package prices are inclusive of line rental charges.
    • mustardtree6
    • By mustardtree6 7th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mustardtree6
    Just renegotiated from £55 for basic player, talk weekend, 50MB and line rental to:-

100MB BB
    Talk Anytime
    Player TV
    including Line Rental
    £29 pcm for 12 months

We said no to their first 3 offers.
    • Embra74
    • By Embra74 7th Feb 18, 3:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Embra74
    I've agreed the following after putting in my cancellation:

XLTV (one V6 box)
    100mb BB
    Basic phone (not used)

£44pm with 2 months free. Works out £36.67pm. Line rental included.

Happy enough with that as I had been paying £50pm for the same TV and phone but with 150mb. 100mb is more than enough for me..
    Last edited by Embra74; 07-02-2018 at 9:57 PM. Reason: Typo
    • tg99
    • By tg99 7th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    tg99
    Out of interest, is anyone aware / have experience of how much to price for Sky Sports and BT Sport (SD rather than HD) in the cost of your package !!!373;hen negotiating with outbound? My £53 pm total for phone/broadband/full house tv/line rental includes both and from memory separately BT Sport is somewhere close to £20 pm and Sky Sports £20-30 pm......so my overall £53 package looks decent in that context but maybe others have got them more heavily discounted when speaking to outbound?
    • Bigj2134
    • By Bigj2134 9th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bigj2134
    I'm currently paying £62.50pm for Full House TV, 200mb BB and Talk Weekend bundle. It was £52 when contract began but has suddenly risen. I rang to enquire for a better deal, they offered me the same package I was on for £68 and I would have to pay the line rental up front. Needless to say, I declined and told them to cancel. That was 4 days ago and I still haven't received the call from retentions with any new offers. My contract is up on 3rd March, so I'm just hoping they offer me something in the ballpark of what's been picked up by some of the folks here.

How long can I expect to wait before they call to offer me that deal?
    • alan17
    • By alan17 10th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    alan17
    Out of interest, is anyone aware / have experience of how much to price for Sky Sports and BT Sport (SD rather than HD) in the cost of your package !!! SNIiP
    Originally posted by tg99
    Bt sport is £20 stand-alone last I knew.
    However it is free in full house / xl tv.

Your deal was decent, some people may have got a better deal as sky movies and sky sports is not loads more together as itís discounted. Used to be 20 each or 30 both. Think prices have gone up now.

Your deal was good but if you like full house tv forget about bt being discounted as itís free on that pack.
    • alan17
    • By alan17 10th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    alan17
    snip

How long can I expect to wait before they call to offer me that deal?
    Originally posted by Bigj2134
    7 working days in my previous experience.

If it helps regarding your ďofferĒ I just got something similar.
    Currently on (I signed up to bt and was offered this on number transfer day)

Full house tv
    Talk anytime
    100mb B.B.
    £35.

This year Offered
    Player tv
    50mb Bb
    Talk weekends
    £63

Needless to say I declined, last year I couldnít get fibre broadband in my area elsewhere, I now can. If Iím on the above pack I may as well have free view and Bb and phone cheap elsewhere.

Hate the yearly negotiation dance!

New customers full house bundle is offer of £49 line rental included, so donít think any of us are being unreasonable wanting a better deal.
    • nathanhill69
    • By nathanhill69 14th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    nathanhill69
    Just done the annual renegotiation with Virgin Media.

I was coming to the end of last years deal and was paying £25.00 per month for:
    100MB Broadband Unlimited
    Free Line rental and weekend calls.
    No TV package

I realised I was unlikely to get them to agree that discounted rate again for the same service.

So this years deal is the following:

- 100MB Broadband Unlimited
    - Free Tivo V6 Box with Player TV Bundle (self install as I had the engineer put the cable spur for the box in when I had the broadband installed). Happy with that as actually watch hardly any on air TV.
    - Free line rental
    - Free Weekend calls
    - Caller ID
    - £30 credit on my account

12 Month contract at £30 per month but with the credit works out at £27.50 per month.

Happy with that deal.
    • chib
    • By chib 14th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    chib
    Good job Nathan - Was that the first call back or when you called to cancel?
    • nathanhill69
    • By nathanhill69 14th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    nathanhill69
    Good job Nathan - Was that the first call back or when you called to cancel?
    Originally posted by chib
    I cancelled the contract on Monday and this was the first call back from the retentions team 48 Hours later (actually second time they called as missed a call a couple hours previous). As is always the case, you have to "cancel" your contract before you get access to the better deals by way of them calling you.

My tip for people is make sure you have your mobile number, or number they are likely to catch you on, recorded on your account so you receive the call as seems like they work office hours (I might be wrong on that point).
    • cici71
    • By cici71 15th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    cici71
    Booked the disconnection??!! Eeeeek
    I've been with Virgin Media for years. I often call and haggle a good deal. However I don't think they're offering me a good deal anymore. I rang last month and wasn't happy with the deal offered so just left it. I rang again today hoping somebody different may offer a better deal. They didn't. I've never done it before but I went one step further and have booked the disconnection date. It's not for a month. Will I get a call from someone offering me a fantastic deal?? Or should I call back and accept the feeble offer? Anyone else gone this far and had luck? Btw...I have no intention on leaving as want to /have to stay with VM. Thanks.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 10,376 Posts
    • 4,341 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    What are you going to do if they actually disconnect ??
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    • 8,287 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    pmduk
    If you've frequently haggled the price down it's possible, indeed probable, that you're no longer profitable to them and they'll be happy to let you go. They're in business to make a profit after all.
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 15th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    c_smith
    If you've frequently haggled the price down it's possible, indeed probable, that you're no longer profitable to them and they'll be happy to let you go. They're in business to make a profit after all.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Rubbish! The equipment is there, the services are in place anyway, you're not costing them anymore to receive channels that are being streamed across the network anyway, so they're better to get something out of you as opposed to nothing. That's not to say they won't play hardball though.

I just phoned up and spent 25 minutes trying to get a better deal, but the only deal they offered me was a cut in the services I have for a corresponding price cut. I asked about 4 times to give my notice and each time they wouldn't take it, arguing that their Mix package was the equivalent of Sky's Entertainment pack. Ended up saying just leave it as is and I'll phone back later because we were going round in circles.

So they've p!ssed me off now and I'll be calling back later today to hopefully get someone who is not as stubborn and will put the notice through.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 8,287 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    pmduk
    Rubbish! The equipment is there, the services are in place anyway,
    Originally posted by c_smith
    If services are in demand in a particular area, they may decide to free up equipment to attract higher spending customers. OR they may just to decide to play hardball for a couple of months to re-educate the market that discounts are not quite as available.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 17th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    • 12,645 Posts
    • 143,531 Thanks
    Anon
    People are still getting good retention deals as seen on here and other forums. It is a game but you have to be prepared to cancel and wait as it is the Outbound team who have the better offers. I have turned down one Outbound offer and hope they will come back with a better offer (one week since cancellation).

Some people phone up, ask for a better deal and get nothing so walk away leaving the contract running. They then comment on here that they have been offered little/nothing and are disappointed - what did you expect if you haven!!!8217;t actually cancelled? The inbound team rarely have access to the best deals, so are not being awkward or unhelpful, but are normally only going by what is available on their screen.

When out of contract (or 30 days before!) you need to phone, cancel, and await the Outbound call. If all else fails, on day 29/30 phone back and cancel the cancellation and then cancel again while you negotiate/find a better deal.

Some reports suggest ordering from BT or elsewhere with a number transfer can nudge the Outbound team into action - does anyone have experience of this please and how long after ordering with BT are Virgin notified/Virgin back in touch?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Anon; 17-02-2018 at 1:44 PM.
    • tg99
    • By tg99 17th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    tg99
    People are still getting good retention deals as seen on here and other forums. It is a game but you have to be prepared to cancel and wait as it is the Outbound team who have the better offers. I have turned down one Outbound offer and hope they will come back with a better offer (one week since cancellation).

Some people phone up, ask for a better deal and get nothing so walk away leaving the contract running. They then comment on here that they have been offered little/nothing and are disappointed - what did you expect if you haven!!!8217;t actually cancelled? The inbound team rarely have access to the best deals, so are not being awkward or unhelpful, but are normally only going by what is available on their screen.

When out of contract (or 30 days before!) you need to phone, cancel, and await the Outbound call. If all else fails, on day 29/30 phone back and cancel the cancellation and then cancel again while you negotiate/find a better deal.

Some reports suggest ordering from BT or elsewhere with a number transfer can nudge the Outbound team into action - does anyone have experience of this please and how long after ordering with BT are Virgin notified/Virgin back in touch?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Anon
    I spoke to BT when considering going down the port number route and they stated that as soon as I signed up then they notify Virgin that I am moving providers and have requested to port my number. From what Iíve heard elsewhere, Virgin outbound Ďportsí team are pretty quick to call straight after this within a couple of days or so hence you still have enough time to then cancel the BT sign up given the 14 day cooling off period.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter