Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • londoner2009
    • By londoner2009 17th Jun 16, 4:49 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 8Thanks
    londoner2009
    0 WOW
    Renewing a UK Passport online - Photo Question
    • 17th Jun 16, 4:49 PM
    0 WOW
    Renewing a UK Passport online - Photo Question 17th Jun 16 at 4:49 PM
    My passport runs out in approx 8 months, so time to get a new one.

I was going to do the Post Office Check & Send and already had some passport photos taken and printed - However when I looked at the passport website today - I noticed they have a Beta Service that says you can take your own photo and do the application online - it's 10 cheaper the Check & Send but the main benefit seems to be that if you use their online service it's fully trackable and perhaps a little quicker?

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/renew/

Has anyone used this service? If so do you need to send them your old passport?

I know you're not supposed to alter your own appearance in a passport photo but can you even out the background if you've got a cloth background and a slight crease?

I didn't have a nice plain wall so used a cloth background which is for the most part excellent but there is a small area of crease which I can easily remove using lightroom - I wouldn't touch the area of my head or face at all - if I smooth this out would it be picked up by their system? Face, hair, clothes, etc would be totally untouched.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 16, 6:01 PM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,832 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Jun 16, 6:01 PM
    • 17th Jun 16, 6:01 PM
    I'm no expert but I would expect the EXIF metadata to show that the photo had been edited. Whether they would bother to look I don't know. I believe there may be ways to edit the EXIF data to get round it but they might be able to catch that too. I'm not sure it would be worth the risk.
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 18th Jun 16, 10:21 AM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 18th Jun 16, 10:21 AM
    • 18th Jun 16, 10:21 AM
    Just retake the photo. It isn't a hardship really is it?
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 18th Jun 16, 10:40 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 3,495 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 18th Jun 16, 10:40 AM
    • 18th Jun 16, 10:40 AM
    You'll always need to send in the old passport, but they will return it once they've clipped the corner.

I renewed my passport recently: paid on-line, printed and completed form and posted it with photos and old passport. I can'r remember how long it took, as I'm not intending to go anywhere until the autumn, but it was a quick service. The passport itself was delivered by what looked like a dedicated courier (small car) and the returned document by normal post (I didn't bother with registered).
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 18th Jun 16, 10:53 AM
    • 20,165 Posts
    • 46,717 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 18th Jun 16, 10:53 AM
    • 18th Jun 16, 10:53 AM
    Unless it's changed since my son used it last week you still have to send them physical photos, you don't upload them. Once you've filled in the form and paid you print the form off and send it to them with your printed photos and old passport.

They won't know the photo has been touched up.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 18th Jun 16, 12:16 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    smudge56
    • 18th Jun 16, 12:16 PM
    • 18th Jun 16, 12:16 PM
    Unless it's changed since my son used it last week you still have to send them physical photos, you don't upload them. Once you've filled in the form and paid you print the form off and send it to them with your printed photos and old passport.

Originally posted by peachyprice
    There is a beta service where you can upload your photos. It just means the new passport won't have a signature printed on it.
    It has to be signed after receipt. You still have to submit your old passport. It's not any quicker a service than sending the form or printed declaration
    Last edited by smudge56; 04-02-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 18th Jun 16, 12:24 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 18th Jun 16, 12:24 PM
    • 18th Jun 16, 12:24 PM
    How is it certified when uploading your own photos?
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 18th Jun 16, 12:52 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    smudge56
    • 18th Jun 16, 12:52 PM
    • 18th Jun 16, 12:52 PM
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    It's for straightforward adult renewals at the moment. There's no need for certification
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 18th Jun 16, 3:43 PM
    • 20,165 Posts
    • 46,717 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 18th Jun 16, 3:43 PM
    • 18th Jun 16, 3:43 PM
    It's for straightforward adult renewals at the moment. There's no need for certification
    Originally posted by smudge56
    Ah, that must be why my son had to send actual photos, he'd lost his last expired one.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 18th Jun 16, 3:45 PM
    • 20,165 Posts
    • 46,717 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    If you are still recognisable you don't need photos certified, I would imagine if you tick 'no' to the 'are you sill recongisable' question you will have to send physical certified photos.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Jun 16, 4:25 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    eDicky
    Your passport photo is used for biometric facial recognition, don't try to submit one that has been modified in any way.
    • petesellit
    • By petesellit 13th Sep 16, 1:07 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    petesellit
    Do your own Passport Photos
    Noticed passport needed renewal yesterday. As I was on my own came up with this.

Background =Leftover roll of Xmas Wrapping paper draped over a door the reverse side is white.
    A pair of step ladders as tripod, anyone of a number of free apps from Google play for passport photos (if needed) & phone or digital camera.

You can take as many as you like (its there for 10 years!) & the site will tell you if they are provisionally OK

Total time from starting application to submitted with photo 20 mins

5.00 saved from photo booths & choice of photo to submit.+ 10 cheaper than check & send at Post Office.

My passport runs out in approx 8 months, so time to get a new one.

I was going to do the Post Office Check & Send and already had some passport photos taken and printed - However when I looked at the passport website today - I noticed they have a Beta Service that says you can take your own photo and do the application online - it's 10 cheaper the Check & Send but the main benefit seems to be that if you use their online service it's fully trackable and perhaps a little quicker?

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/renew/

Has anyone used this service? If so do you need to send them your old passport?

I know you're not supposed to alter your own appearance in a passport photo but can you even out the background if you've got a cloth background and a slight crease?

I didn't have a nice plain wall so used a cloth background which is for the most part excellent but there is a small area of crease which I can easily remove using lightroom - I wouldn't touch the area of my head or face at all - if I smooth this out would it be picked up by their system? Face, hair, clothes, etc would be totally untouched.
    Originally posted by londoner2009
    • dibby20159
    • By dibby20159 17th Jan 17, 7:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dibby20159
    Beta
    But how do you get into the beta site? I have started my application and have got to the point where I am asked if I want to include somene else (I do) but so far there is no mention of being able to upload my own photograph. Has anyone any experience of using this?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Jan 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    eDicky
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Do you know of anyone who has successfully submitted a photo that was modified in any way, including the background, since biometric facial recognition was introduced?

Edit: Sorry, just realised it's an old thread and repeating myself...
    Last edited by eDicky; 17-01-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jan 17, 9:47 AM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,832 Thanks
    agrinnall
    But how do you get into the beta site? I have started my application and have got to the point where I am asked if I want to include somene else (I do) but so far there is no mention of being able to upload my own photograph. Has anyone any experience of using this?
    Originally posted by dibby20159
    It's unlikely that you'll be able to use the beta service for anything other than a single renewal with no countersignatories required. I went part of the way through the online process myself at the weekend (including making payment) but because I also have a passport from another country I had to send by post both my UK and other passport, the new photos, and the form with my signature on it.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 17th Jan 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    Ganga
    I do not think you can apply for someone else exept a child or a person who cannot fill in the form themselves ie physicaly or mentally, but have a covering letter from a GP or similar to back this up.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 17th Jan 17, 11:41 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 5,627 Thanks
    skint_chick
    I just used this, you still have to send physical photos -even if your appearance hasn't changed - and your old passport in the post. Once you submit the online form and pay with your card you print the form, sign it and send in the post. Mine was back in less than 2 weeks.

You don't need a check and send service for a renewal, all your details are the same and if you complete it online you shouldn't be able to leave anything out.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Jan 17, 9:25 PM
    • 14,175 Posts
    • 12,305 Thanks
    zagfles
    I used it a few months ago but it was useless, there was no way to get it to accept a photo, there was always something wrong with it.

In the end I went to the local pharmacy for a photo which they guarantee will be accepted, but the beta site still wouldn't accept it. So I used the old method of applying online but sending the same photo in the post, was accepted no problem and got my new passport in a few days.
    • dibby20159
    • By dibby20159 18th Jan 17, 7:28 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dibby20159
    I used it a few months ago but it was useless, there was no way to get it to accept a photo, there was always something wrong with it.

Yes I'm coming to that conclusion too. The site says that "you will need a digital camera or a mobile phone" so there must be the intention of being able to upload your own photos, but it doesn't seem to accept them.

But (Ganga) you can certanly use it for making applications for other family members too - I think it quotes a maximum of seven - and indeed at the paying stage it asks you if you want to make another application.

I think I will go back to a quill pen!!!
    Last edited by dibby20159; 18-01-2017 at 7:28 AM. Reason: To insert italics
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 18th Jan 17, 8:21 AM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 28,313 Thanks
    Slinky
    I renewed mine a couple of months back using old fashioned form and photo. Turnaround was under a week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,578Posts Today

8,299Users online

Martin's Twitter