Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Jun 16, 7:57 AM
    • 1,377Posts
    • 3,757Thanks
    louby40
    Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more
    • 17th Jun 16, 7:57 AM
    Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more 17th Jun 16 at 7:57 AM
    Having lurked and read quite a few diaries I thought I'd start my own. If it's down on paper then I can read back and see my progress (or not)

My debts aren't massive but my bugbear is my overdraft as I do believe if I can get that sorted everything else will fall into place

My debts are:

400-500 overdraft every month PAID
    970 cc now 90 Dec 17
    5500 left on my car loan (ends in Jan 2019) now 2696 Dec 17
    106,000 mortgage at 600 pm now 94,992 Dec 17
    6500 bank of mum and dad PAID

I have 150 in an emergency fund NOW 650

I'm just in the process of moving my current account to First Direct to take advantage of their 250 free overdraft service and 100 incentive to switch. I need to keep my o/d under the 250 and slowly begin to chip away.

My over spends are having 2 very tall teenage boys who eat a lot and extra trips to the supermarket. I also treat myself to a manicure/gel polish every month.

I'm a single mum and work as a teacher so I buy stuff for my class, extra craft bits, second hand books from Amazon, it soon mounts up.

I also need to be stricter with my boys and refuse the 2.50 they ask for lunch everyday.

I shop in Aldi and cook a lot from scratch - my slow cooker is my saviour!

I need to keep a strict spending diary and stop buying unnecessary things.
    Last edited by louby40; 17-12-2017 at 7:37 PM.
Page 40
    • louby40
    • By louby40 4th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    louby40
    Well I've been AWOL for ages.

Life has just been so busy. All is good here. Debts coming down slowly.

I have 5 more car loan payments then I'll be 200 a month better off. 9 more kitchen payments and that will be a further 500 that's freed up.

Then I will only owe on my mortgage. Yay!!!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 17,062 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Yes you have!!! I had assumed the worst and that you'd chucked it, so it really is lovely to have you back.

Glad to hear that things are ticking along nicely. Fantastic news on the remaining payments, it seems ages ago when you got the kitchen done. That'll be a nice relief. Are you still sticking to YNAB? Have you been going to the gym or going your walks?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • louby40
    • By louby40 7th Oct 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    louby40
    Speky I've tried to get to the gym as much as I can, can't always say it works out. We did a few walks over the summer.

We went to Cornwall for a week and took my son in the summer and that was really nice.

This weekend my very best friend was 50 and we had a girly meal out on Friday and then she had a bit of family party on Saturday that me and my DP went to. It was good.

The rest of the weekend has been spent washing and shopping - they just go too fast.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Oct 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 14,134 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Great to see you back again Louby.
    CC1 3609
    • louby40
    • By louby40 12th Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    louby40
    Another busy week at school. The weeks are just flying by.

I'm trying to keep a tight reign on my expenditure as my son is becoming an international traveller he's going to Poland next April with school for 4 days - 615 and then he's also going away with his girlfriend and her family in a villa to Spain at a cost of 650 in July.

His dad and I have agreed to share the costs but it will be tight as I'm still paying off my kitchen.

He's agreed to save some of his own money from his Saturday job to cover spending money which is good.

I cannot wait to finish paying for the kitchen, at 500 a month it really is a big chunk. The kitchen is fantastic though and it's money well spent as we do spend lots of time in there now as it has a seating area.

Weather is terrible here this weekend so not much going on other than watching TV and washing!!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 14th Oct 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    louby40
    Bit of a boring weekend.

We had planned on going out in Manchester on Saturday night but the weather was so atrocious that we decided to stay in.

So the weekend has just been full of the usual weekend stuff, washing, cleaning etc
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Oct 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 17,062 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Kids aren't half expensive!!! Who'd have em?

Ah I was looking forward to hearing how your trip into Manchester was, too. Need to reschedule and fill me in.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,058Posts Today

7,765Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin