Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    A V M
    10x HiPP Organic Breakfast Duet Strawberry Cereal with Yogurt (160G) £9.00 £5.00
    1x Silver Spoon Granulated Sugar (2KG) £1.08 £0.88
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • bubbs
    Jimmy Choo Flash edp 60ml £20.00 Delivered + Free sample @ Beauty Base [Using code / More offers for Men & Women in comment #1]
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/jimmy-choo-flash-edp-60ml-20-delivered-free-sample-beauty-base-using-code-more-offers-2494914
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • vanilla_twist
    vanilla_twist Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    rose28454 wrote: »
    I was interested in this conversation about decluttering and downsizing. I am still living in our 3 bed semi on my own and would love to move to something smaller but it really needs clearing out 1st.
    DD has a new baby as does DS and yesterday when I was out shoppign with DD she asked me when I retire, I said not till NOV 2019 ( I am 62 ) and would it not for the changes to women's retirement age I would be retired now. Problem is if house is sold OH will expect half and he has a fairly good pension from Royal Mail and even though we are not divorced I feel that should be taken into the equation if we sell. I have spent the last 8 years paying off the mortgage ( from about 78000 down to 35000 ) and also think that should figure in any split.
    What do others think ?

You would need a legal agreement with your oh before you sell. I believe you can have your divorce finances sorted (used to be called form E) and not have to get divorced if you don't want to.
    In most cases the money you have cleared of the mortgage since your oh left would be credited to you from sale of house and I believe you should be entitled to half his pension earnt in the years you lived as man and wife. Oh is also entitled to half any private or work pension you built up in your years together.
    So to be honest you could be a lot better off if you get finances on a legal footing. Would there be enough equity in your house to be mortgage free if you downsized. Does your oh have his own house .
    Also wills need to be made.

You would be best going to see a solicitor on a free or reduced fee half hour and finding out where you stand. Your oh pension could be used as leverage towards the house but you need to know what you would be entitled to from it should you go for half of it.
    A professional will be best placed to help. So many do a no fee introduction.

hth

V x
    fairclaire wrote: »
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back :)

May the odds be ever in your favour;)

SPC 7 Pot No 410 £232.63 Total
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    bubbs wrote: »

All this talk of food redistribution and collecting wild fruits and nuts and bubbs has posted another thing that's not really part of "everyday" life nowadays....a sewing machine.

I admit I wouldn't know where to begin with even unpacking one let alone sewing anything useful,but 50 years ago my grandmother was an accomplished dressmaker and it was a skill that most young women possessed...

There are so many old traditional pass times that are just now falling by the wayside...and you blokes,dont think this doesnt include you....motor mechanics that was something that again my dad always dealt with,but now I think even if we need a top up oil and screen wash,my oh can only just about manage it!!
    I guess I am lucky in some respects at least my man can decorate and put up wallpaper....and I can knock together the odd cake or two......but life is moving in flat pack vacuumed packed way where disposable is becoming the new normal and yes I think we are losing sight of a golden era.

maybe I should have grown up in the 50's
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • bubbs
    LEJC wrote: »
    All this talk of food redistribution and collecting wild fruits and nuts and bubbs has posted another thing that's not really part of "everyday" life nowadays....a sewing machine.

I admit I wouldn't know where to begin with even unpacking one let alone sewing anything useful,but 50 years ago my grandmother was an accomplished dressmaker and it was a skill that most young women possessed...

There are so many old traditional pass times that are just now falling by the wayside...and you blokes,dont think this doesnt include you....motor mechanics that was something that again my dad always dealt with,but now I think even if we need a top up oil and screen wash,my oh can only just about manage it!!
    I guess I am lucky in some respects at least my man can decorate and put up wallpaper....and I can knock together the odd cake or two......but life is moving in flat pack vacuumed packed way where disposable is becoming the new normal and yes I think we are losing sight of a golden era.

maybe I should have grown up in the 50's

I used to do alot of sewing, i did hand sewing for a living (called a feller) but very rarely get machine out now, or needle, thimble and thread:eek:
    I have 4 sisters, my mum used to sit for hrs making our clothes, she made all our coats as well, made dad's suit for my older sister's wedding.
    She used to work part time come home do her jobs, cook us and my pap and uncle a proper dinner(so cooked for 9) and pudding then go into their bedroom and sew as this was the only place she had room to keep sewing machine up and my mum is not 70 yet
  • bubbs
    My dad always had a tool box in the boot as well, mum had Thursdays off mornings would be beds afternoon baking for the week aand pies etc for the freezer
  • LEJC
    edited 12 August 2016 at 4:21PM
    My sister is a little older than me and was a decade in front of me at school...she learnt sewing and cooking (or home ec)as it used to be called as standard....but by the time I was a similar age in the late 70's early 80's that had all but disappeared...we learnt computer studies on the new fangled BBC computers and played the atari tennis game with the square pixel as a ball!

I guess whichever way you look at it there have been some good advances in technology and opportunity but sometimes its the simple things from childhood that you remember and not everyone is able to pass those things on to future generations.

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks. I only went through my CC statement. I don't 'think' I spend that much cash but obviously do

my CC statement also leaves me puzzled. I can pick out the few big spends eg petrol, coal, a bill, twine, eating out, etc but that leaves everything else.
    last month was a case in point a few big items came to about £300 and then 2 pages of items all small value under £20 but in total it came to over £700 :eek:

so from that I've figured I need to make menus and shopping lists, go to Aldi on a Monday and get 90% of what we need for the week including whats in the freezer and stockpiled and then not go again until we run out of milk, bread and fruit - every time I pop in and out a few extra bits go in the trolley and then we nip to Morrisons as it's only across the road or go home via Sainsbobs where a few non list items go in the trolley - and it does add up over a month ...

and when the credit card bill is huge there is less to go in the savings pot so it's all about strategy and thinking long term
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    LEJC wrote: »
    My sister is a little older than me and was a decade in front of me at school...she learnt sewing and cooking (or home ec)as it used to be called as standard....but by the time I was a similar age in the late 70's early 80's that had all but disappeared...we learnt computer studies on the new fangled BBC computers and played the atari tennis game with the square pixel as a ball!

I guess whichever way you look at it there have been some good advances in technology and opportunity but sometimes its the simple things from childhood that you remember and not everyone is able to pass those things on to future generations.

our high school had a sewing room and the department was run by Mrs Harrison and it was a lovely cosy place to be - possibly woodwork and metal work would have been more practical skills to learn but we never had the choice.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • LEJC
    mhoc wrote: »
    and then 2 pages of items all small value under £20 but in total it came to over £700 :eek:

Oh how I can identify with those types of transactions...they are the killer ones ....

I'm getting much better and have started shopping lists in my book which I now take round with me and meal plans are progressing although they do ssem to get superseeded by whats in the reduced cabinets.

I'm going to tackle this frugal October idea...not necessarily for all spending but I'm going to get the food/shopping bill with drinks down to under £50 for the month ...i'll tackle some other areas as the months progress

I'll remind everyone about frugal October a little nearer the time and then if anyone wants to set their own goals feel free to join in....

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport