Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Options

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This has made me think, we have a plum tree that is loaded, if there is anyone locality to me that wants them in September you are more than welcome to them. They're not Victoria,we do have one of those too which is also loaded this year, we will be lucky if the branches don't snap.
    I don't know what type the others are a friend of my parents gave us the tree when we were starting the garden off sixteen years ago. They are nice to eat but there are only so many you can eat before they go off and I think friends and neighbours are probably sick of them too.
    Would be great for wine making.

If you have a local streetlife group try putting a message up on there - or freecycle.
    a branch on our plum tree broke in a storm one year so I put a message on Freecycle and some lovely people came and collected the plums off the broken branch so we could clear the various branches off the lawn
    Mostly I pick a bag in readiness for anyone that responds on Freecyle - I just had a rhubarb glut so I put a message on Streetlife and I had enough for 4 people to collect
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back from docs, all tests clear, doc said if not cleared up in 2 weeks to go back:(_pale_
  • mhoc
    Options
    rose28454 wrote: »
    I was interested in this conversation about decluttering and downsizing. I am still living in our 3 bed semi on my own and would love to move to something smaller but it really needs clearing out 1st.
    DD has a new baby as does DS and yesterday when I was out shoppign with DD she asked me when I retire, I said not till NOV 2019 ( I am 62 ) and would it not for the changes to women's retirement age I would be retired now. Problem is if house is sold OH will expect half and he has a fairly good pension from Royal Mail and even though we are not divorced I feel that should be taken into the equation if we sell. I have spent the last 8 years paying off the mortgage ( from about 78000 down to 35000 ) and also think that should figure in any split.
    What do others think ?

I lurk on this thread

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385103

I am slowly learning the principles - everything you have has to have a current and on going purpose and give you some sort of joy and if not you have to realise when the time is right to let go and release things back into the wild to re purpose them via whatever means so you are not weighed down by material stuff. There are some really lovely ladies on this thread :D
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    I was interested in this conversation about decluttering and downsizing. I am still living in our 3 bed semi on my own and would love to move to something smaller but it really needs clearing out 1st.
    DD has a new baby as does DS and yesterday when I was out shoppign with DD she asked me when I retire, I said not till NOV 2019 ( I am 62 ) and would it not for the changes to women's retirement age I would be retired now. Problem is if house is sold OH will expect half and he has a fairly good pension from Royal Mail and even though we are not divorced I feel that should be taken into the equation if we sell. I have spent the last 8 years paying off the mortgage ( from about 78000 down to 35000 ) and also think that should figure in any split.
    What do others think ?

Is it in your name or joint names?

How much did he pay before he left?

There's a lot of questions like that that will come out if/when you sell.

Maybe it would be best to clean things up a bit and actually divorce, then everything would be laid out in black and white.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • mhoc
    Options
    Mhoc, that's really impressive!

I am quite impressed by how motivated I've been this week but I think I had to do it for my own mental health this week.

Errant son went south last Wednesday to his new job and his new life, my natural tendency would be to wallow in a pit of despair and misery
    but I chose not to do this - it would have done none of us any good whatsoever.
    I had to re start the process again of reclaiming the house as ours so I just started very small with the food bank bags and then it snowballed and I started to make significant progress :T
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Is it in your name or joint names?

How much did he pay before he left?

There's a lot of questions like that that will come out if/when you sell.

Maybe it would be best to clean things up a bit and actually divorce, then everything would be laid out in black and white.

Well we both worked before he left but I paid most as he drank most of his money. Not really keen to divorce we are on good terms and even go on holiday together. If we sold after paying off the mortgage there would be about 160-170 k left and if we wanted to buy locally all we could get would be a retirement flat each which neither of us wants. There are some lovely timber chalets on a caravan park locally he likes but they are 79000 and that would be 50% of the profit potentially. However if the split was more to me then I might be able to buy a flat in an old Mental hospital that has been converted or even a small house.
    What he really wants is a small caravan in a field somewhere as he craves privacy and peace and quiet.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    Rose ...that seems quite a complicated situation that you are in,but in essence all assets need to be taken into account if you and your husband are to officially divorce and yes his pension should be taken into account.

I guess also a lot depends on what your relationship is like now that perhaps you both may have adjusted to not being together...are you the sort that could sit down and come to an amicable solution or do you fear it would open old wounds and put any "friendship" you have at risk.

I wonder if something you could consider would be retrospectively valuing the assets so that they only use the valuations when you split...that may work in your favour slightly if presumably you have been the one to clear down the mortgage but it lso may give you more of a lumpsum to move on if the equity in the house has risen substantially in the last few years.

speak to a solicitor...they can certainly advise ...it may well be time to move on to something smaller and if thats the case go for it...but you need to consider if making the decision to permenantly end things might have an adverse reaction on how you and your OH go forward.

As always ...good luck with whatever you decide.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Well we both worked before he left but I paid most as he drank most of his money. Not really keen to divorce we are on good terms and even go on holiday together. If we sold after paying off the mortgage there would be about 160-170 k left and if we wanted to buy locally all we could get would be a retirement flat each which neither of us wants. There are some lovely timber chalets on a caravan park locally he likes but they are 79000 and that would be 50% of the profit potentially. However if the split was more to me then I might be able to buy a flat in an old Mental hospital that has been converted or even a small house.
    What he really wants is a small caravan in a field somewhere as he craves privacy and peace and quiet.

I think you need to sit down and get some agreements into place. If you are really on such good terms then he must realise how much you have put into the house. Sounds like he has stopped drinking? If that is the case then he must have some idea of how much damage that did, surely he would agree to a different split.

It is really hard to find the balance, and you perhaps risk souring relations in trying to get that which is fairly yours.

I only wish we would have a chance of getting anything for 80 grand round here :eek:
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    Sarahdol75 wrote: »
    Back from docs, all tests clear, doc said if not cleared up in 2 weeks to go back:(_pale_

Well at least its good news that you arn't gluten intolerant Sarah....lets hope it all clears up and calms down in the next couple of weeks...

I'm hoping its possibly just stress related with everything you have going on in life and a little like me in a few weeks time everything will be much calmer!

Big hugsx
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    davemorton wrote: »
    I know it seems a lot, but they do last a lot longer. When I used to buy cheap ones, they would last a season, but you can easily get ten years out of a good pair if you so wished, and much better for your eyes than the really cheap ones.
    :cool: :D

Have to admit I have not bought sunglasses in a long time, I have the reactions on my prescription glasses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport