Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    • 823Posts
    • 1,095Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track. 15th Jun 16 at 9:18 PM
    Hey everyone,

I'm Hannah I'm 30 (not sure how or when that happened my memory must be going because I only feel 21 mentally 50 physically though )my debt is shifting in the right direction and we are able to pay 200-300 off a month but with maternity pay fast approaching I felt a diary would be a good way to keep me on track. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second little boy. DS1 ( darling son)is two on the 29th. We are going on a holiday to Devon Friday. Guessing all this expense has got me wanting to keep things in check. Since being so good I get panicky about spending but chunks of money. We booked a small family holiday though before DS2 arrives as we haven't been on a holiday for 4 years and wanted to take Kian before things got crazy. Everyone's got to live a little right. I'm also currently on an 8 week full paid sabbatical from work...it's great but that's also 5 extra days a week to try not spend money! I tell you this weather needs to perk up soft play isn't cheap!!

I was awful with money years back even had a diary on here
    previously. I have been cleaning debt for a few years now. I have some of my own debt and joint from buying things for our home my partner has bad credit due to a mortgage he's stuck in with his step father. ...we will cross this bridge at a later date but it is all (touch wood) on track now. Other than that he is great with money and has taught me a lot!! Me and DP (darling parter) share money fairly we both have pocket money then anything else go into the joint account/off my debt repayment. I was part time when I went back after DS1 but went full time when we were planning DS2 1) for the maternity pay and 2) I know my 8 weeks paid sabbatical was due so wanted to get full time pay for this. I have 6 weeks full time to work before maternity leave and I'm dreading it, but hey ho needs must! Think of the money I keep telling myself. I feel I am in a good place and manage money so much better than I used to. I'll share my tips with you.....when I get a chance. I will also update my signature with SOA ASAP.

Thanks for reading (if anyone is) now that's off my chest time for a bath then bed.
    Hannah

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 18-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
Page 34
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 10th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    I know it feels so nice having colour after living in magnolia land for 10 years. Xx

The accessories I want can wait. It feels so much better buying hints with your own money.
    emergency fund:50/1000 Uniform/car fund:
    boys savings 25
    Christmas 45 bday 35 holiday 77

Family loan 7000/5500
    Credit Card 0% 2175.32 eon 637 next 45.00
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 11th May 18, 7:10 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Just been reading your diary. Congrats on your new house - you must be thrilled. We spent a fortune on stuff for our new house 3y ago wanting to get it all right away and I really regret how much we spent now! I was pregnant with our first when we moved so that was just the start of too much spending! Im a SAHM now and preg with the second so need to be watching all the pennies - this site is so inspiring and motivating. I used to use the old style board years ago so Im excited to get back into it again and have subscribed to your thread
    Married 1 March 2014 DS born 06/12/15

Debts
    CC - 2,182.17/2,182.17
    Family loan 1 - 1,680/1,680
    Family loan 2 - 3,500/5,000
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 11th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning bluegreen congratulations xxx Yes baby no one sends us spend crazy don't they! Poor baby no2 is permanently in hand me downs but you know what he's 10% happier than ds1 so non of the "stuff" I brought was worth it! This diary is super helpful to pop onto and clear my head when I'm feeling spendy or worries about money. Also help when I'm shopping knowing I'll have to come on here and explain myself.

On that note I have decided to go out tonight. I need a good night out I think and there won't be one for a while after this. My sister is coming to stay over tonight for a few nights and I'll be having the 4 kiss to look after from tomorrow morning. I'd best not get too drunk!
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 11th May 18, 7:47 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Oops didn't mean to post.

DP took a pair of curtains back to dunelm for me yesterday and they couldn't refund to the cc as I'd paid by PayPal. They have his a receipt that can only be used instore which is a pain but I'll pop in on my way to my friends tonight and hopefully find curtains for the living room as we still don't have any in there. I will no wonder about the accessories section! I promise!!
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 13th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Quick pop in as I'm feeling stressed about money. I went out for too drunk and spent to much! 100 in total including a new top I panic brought in the way out then didn't wear!!! I have the receipt and will return it as I don't even think I like it! Madness!

I was just browsing door handles to replace the ones on all the fitted wardrobes....only a couple of pound each no big spend I thought then I realised a)we have 20 handles to replace and b)I was choosing cheap ones as that's all I could probably justify buying now! So back here to remind myself that it doesn't all need to be done right away!!! Anything I fancy or have an impulse to buy I will add to my list of house bits and work through it when we have free cash. The whole point of the cheaper house was to not overstretched ourselves and be able to afford to live a little and hopefully holiday! That isn't going to happen if I spend every last penny replacing door handles that work perfectly well just look a bit dated! Right that me told off!!
    So payday will leave me about 100 spare I WILL put all of this into the emergency fund!

We've filled in the pond this weekend and are meant to be removing the massive shed next week that would massively open up the garden and mean we are forced to do lots of work as tuft the area. But then that would mean a)the credit card will be maxed out and potentially overdrafts used as everything you start always ends up costing more than predicted. B)I won't be able to use the grass for a month! The garden is divided in two at the moment by a massive shed and the bit the boys play in at the moment is paved. Leaving the work until the autum would mean no constant battle with the boys to keepnoff the grass and also give us time to save up and be in a better place money wise. I don't think the thought of a whole summer with no grass I do live a god padding pool day. Then again I could invest in some foam mats and use those under the pool. This option obviously isn't as exciting but then it makes me feel a lot happier inside money wise.

Credit card current stands at 1950/2400 which would be a nice safety net while we built up our emergency fund. I've set up a direct debit for 80 a month and this would take 2 years to clear at that rate. It's already quite a bit monthly bill to have added to our outgoings so I think I need to go with the autum option for the grass and be sensible on this one.

Right I stupidly sat in the bed after putting the baby to bed and the carnage left from a crazy day of looking after my sister and her kids awaits me downstairs....probably why I decided I needed to post as it meant I got to skive for 5 mins ;9) xx
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 13th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    It!!!8217;s lovely to hear how you!!!8217;re setting in to your new house. Sounds like you!!!8217;ve made a few very sensible decisions money-wise. While those wardrobe handles and turfing the garden would feel great, just imagine how much better it will feel to do it when you have the money and can really afford it. You always feel a bit guilty buying things (no matter how worthy) that you can!!!8217;t afford, I find, and it taints your lovely glow over having the nice thing. Much better to wait and get it done right. As you say, waiting will let you get better quality door handles too as you!!!8217;ll have saved up more so you!!!8217;ll definitely be glad you waited.
    Married 1 March 2014 DS born 06/12/15

Debts
    CC - 2,182.17/2,182.17
    Family loan 1 - 1,680/1,680
    Family loan 2 - 3,500/5,000
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 15th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning bluegreen.

I've made some bad decisions. We're doing the garden I had a guy I know who's an odd job man pop round last night he said he could clear the area in a day so 120 labour I need to hire a medium sized skip. Then me and DP will fill with top soil which apparently we can get for free from a place. Then dp has a friend who will turf for us. Turf prices up around 130 then slip hire which I'm hoping we can get for 150 I need to book that today. He wants to come the end of this week. So hopefully all work will come in at 400 but I'm guessing 500 as bits always crop up. I know it's not the sensible money decision I had in mind. But......If I'll be paying for the work in a few months anyway why not get it done so we can enjoy the grass over the summer ! Then no more spending I promise!!

Pay day today my overdraft is cleared as that had gone over a bit with the move. Dp's birthday fund coming alone nicely (If the garden goes over budget I will confess about the savings and he will tell me to use it for the garden instead of going into overdrafts to pay it) 115 tucked away in the emergency fund.

Last day off work today home with both boys so going to make it a fun one x
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 24th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Hey guys feels like forever since I posted.

Ok so dp'a friend has no showed on us twice so I've booked the guy who helped us last week to lay the tuft. Luckily we hadn't ordered it yes as it would have gone off! So costs for garden will be 74 for top soil, 121 for tuft and 200 labour. We had just enought left in the cc to over the turf and soil then dp's play station fund has been used for the labour....poor guy maybe next year ha ha. But then that is it! No more spending until we have settled accounts and built up some savings!!! X
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 29th May 18, 6:42 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Back again in bed with a brew.

Our first mortgage payment comes out today! Whoop!

Tuft laid tomorrow. Now it's time to get excited about paying off debt again seeming as I've wracked up quite a bit :0( x

50 pocket money left to last until 15th nothing that costs money planned yet but I will need petrol as have a few free play dates planned and work.

DP had another low payday this commission work is horrible when they don't do well as I'm just annoyed he's there all the time and not earning much.

Just having a brew in bed before the madness starts.

Xx
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 31st May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Tuft is laid. I love it RA totally transformed the garden into somewhere the boys can play :0)

Accounts are starting to look comfortable now and I was planning in my head how much left over I'd have on last day then looking at lamps but instead I've gone on and upped a few of my savings accounts. I have a plan of what I want to save each month for different things. So I'm a bit closer to achieve these now which feels good. I'll see how bills settle after a month or two and if we still have to much spare cash I'll up them again.

X
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 4th Jun 18, 1:36 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Quick check in with a brew! As I've just brought some toys of a Facebook selling site I don't really need! Oops! It was a really good deal of 5 orchard board games for 10 and ds loves the ones he's got and he does learn a lot from them. Maybe I'll give him one and then save the rest for when he's even really good. He likes to stay up later than his baby brother and play a game so they'll be great. I need to stay off pintest!!!! I always just brows pictures and ideas then end up on b&q looking at paint! I have no money!!!!

Overdraft is looking grim.com my mums give me 200 towards a climbing frame for ds1's birthday and we put the birthday savings toward the rest of the costs. She hasn't given me the money yet tho so the account is over drawn. Also it's a bit over from the last garden bits so NO MORE shopping until the account is back in + figures. Excited for pay day already to see the savings accounts going up with their new bigger dd's.

I have a wardrobe in the garage that needs selling so I could go down and get photos of that and post it on Facebook. I have a petrol claim from work to send off but can't work out the website so that'll have to wait until I'm at work next. I need to up my childcare voucher payment again after a couple of months off as we have quite a bit built up.
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 25th Jun 18, 6:32 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Long time no post but I'm feeling super spendy so I've come to have a word with myself.

DS's birthday on Wednesday and I'm popping into town later for a contact lense check. I need a few bits and bobs but what I don't need is new shorts and a top!!! Just because there is a heat wave doesn't mean I need new clothes! If I keep spending little bits of money here and there I will not be able to afford a holiday next year! Right so what I need to buy:
    Balloons, card
    Wood varnish
    Plastic plant pots
    And that is it!!!

Over draft still looking bad :0( I find once your in then a bit it's so easy to carry on going! But then that's what they want you to do isn't it! Just waiting on our deposit money to clear from the holding company then the overdraft will be sorted. Just wish it would hurry up now though I hate being over drawn now.

I'm off work this week and dp is off wed-sat we are having a BBQ Wednesday then heading to the beach Thursday we swayed ds off the idea of a party this year as the money just isn't there and I thought the climbing frame would be money much better spent. I saw a mum's Facebook post the other day and going rate for kids parties is about 200-300!! When did that happen!! I'm sure I used to just have sandwiches and pass the parcel at home. Maybe next year once he's started school.

Right off to drink my brew then get this day started! I WILL NOT DRIFT FROM THE SHOPPING LIST!!!
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 25th Jun 18, 12:42 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Stay strong and keep focussed!!!
    'Start by doing the necessary, then the possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.' St Francis of Assisi
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 17th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Wow nearly a month since my last post. Things have been quite settled I think I'm now in good habits of not spending and have a good routing with the boys during the weeks with cheap activities. But the holidays are about to kick off and I have very little money to entertain them. So I think I need to post more often to keep me on track. I've made a summer bucket list of bits and bobs to do mainly free things. It's when we get invited places you people that I start spending money. So I have about 20 a week until next pay day on 15th and I really don't want to go over. Hopefully this weather will stay and I can sway friend towards picnic play dates etc.

Savings accounts are starting to build up a little now which is exciting.

We thought our boiler was broken and I've been putting off calling someone out as our over drafts are still not quite cleared from the move but we have a BBQ Sunday and a friend looked at it and got it working :0) I've now said we won't buy or do anything else for the house until we have 1000 in the emergency fund!! Must stick to this!

It was dp's birthday yesterday he's off work today and tomorrow. I've got cooking class with the boys this morning at the children's centre then dp is taking ds to the cinema for his first time. Not sure he'lol last the film but hoping the atmosphere of it all keeps him still. Wish I could go but it'll be a special day for dp as he loves the cinema. Then we are "meant" to be camping in the garden tonight. I have a swollen throats though and feeling a bit grotty. Ds doesn't know yet that we are so I'm tempted to cancel but I know it'll be a great memory for him so I need to stop being so lazy and just do it. I'll enjoy it once we do it I'm sure. I just looooove my bed so much.

DP didn't get paid properly last month he's been there a year now so they should top up hos commission when he had time off and es owed about 8 holiday days. Fingers crossed they sort it for this month. His od and mine are both a few 100 short from the move and dp also had to buy a new suit for a job interview....which I don't think he got as he's not heard anything yet.

That's the fun spendy bit of the move done now time to reign it all in again and be sensible. We haven't had or wanted a take away for about a month now which is good :0) xx

Right best get sorted for cooking class. X
    boys savings 25

Family loan 7000/5500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter