Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    • 828Posts
    • 1,096Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track. 15th Jun 16 at 9:18 PM
    Hey everyone,

I'm Hannah I'm 30 (not sure how or when that happened my memory must be going because I only feel 21 mentally 50 physically though )my debt is shifting in the right direction and we are able to pay 200-300 off a month but with maternity pay fast approaching I felt a diary would be a good way to keep me on track. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second little boy. DS1 ( darling son)is two on the 29th. We are going on a holiday to Devon Friday. Guessing all this expense has got me wanting to keep things in check. Since being so good I get panicky about spending but chunks of money. We booked a small family holiday though before DS2 arrives as we haven't been on a holiday for 4 years and wanted to take Kian before things got crazy. Everyone's got to live a little right. I'm also currently on an 8 week full paid sabbatical from work...it's great but that's also 5 extra days a week to try not spend money! I tell you this weather needs to perk up soft play isn't cheap!!

I was awful with money years back even had a diary on here
    previously. I have been cleaning debt for a few years now. I have some of my own debt and joint from buying things for our home my partner has bad credit due to a mortgage he's stuck in with his step father. ...we will cross this bridge at a later date but it is all (touch wood) on track now. Other than that he is great with money and has taught me a lot!! Me and DP (darling parter) share money fairly we both have pocket money then anything else go into the joint account/off my debt repayment. I was part time when I went back after DS1 but went full time when we were planning DS2 1) for the maternity pay and 2) I know my 8 weeks paid sabbatical was due so wanted to get full time pay for this. I have 6 weeks full time to work before maternity leave and I'm dreading it, but hey ho needs must! Think of the money I keep telling myself. I feel I am in a good place and manage money so much better than I used to. I'll share my tips with you.....when I get a chance. I will also update my signature with SOA ASAP.

Thanks for reading (if anyone is) now that's off my chest time for a bath then bed.
    Hannah

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 18-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
Page 33
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 9th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 3,078 Thanks
    chelseablue
    We've lived in our house 2 years and its still a dump

We were planning to do stuff to it this year but we've decided to get married and go on holiday to Australia instead
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 20th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Oh wow that sounds amazing!

I fee like once I'm in my urge to shop and have it Pinterest perfect will settle. It's just all the waiting around make me plan and google etc.

So we exchanged yesterday! but that now means my savings account has 200 in it . We will complete on 30th so 10 days and counting!

I have applied for a 0% purchase cc with a limit of 2400 with 500 of which is a money transfer into the bills account just as a buffer for double rent/mortgage once bills have settled if any is left it'll be paid back onto the card. We need a fridge freezer, to cabinet x 2 but I think one second hand would do for the study. Day bed but I am keeping an eye out second had for the ikea one I have my eye on. My mum is staying over for a wedding me and dp are going to on 19th so I want to just get the bed sorted for her. Then there will be garden spends. Hoping to keep it all as low as possible!

I neeeeed to use my diary daily from now on. My brain feels like it is going to explode with the amount of things flying through and I spend 15 in flying tiger today on wicket baskets!!!! NOT AN ESSENTIAL item!!!!!

I have also booked a cleaner for an end of tenancy clean estimated about 70 I have also messaged for a few quotes on oven cleans and need to book a full window clean in. I could clean the house myself but my childminder is on holiday for two weeks over the move period and my mum can only help one day with the boys so I didn't want to waste the only day I had my hands free on cleaning the old house.

I called to switch internet, phone, electricity over but then realised I probably need to price compare etc etc so that's on my jobs list. Also building and contends and life insurance needs sorting too

Bt did say they could get my bill down to 48 a month for internet and line rental and there would be no set up fee at the new house so that's looking like a good option.

Maybe I need to stop being a control freak and hand some jobs over to dp but he just isn't money savvy and always just renews his mobile phone with the first offer etc.

Right now I've got that allnoff my chest I'm going to enjoy my bath as today as been on stop since my alarm went off at 4am Zzzzz x
    emergency fund:179/ 1000 Uniform/car fund:
    boys savings
    Christmas 60 bday 40 holiday

Family loan 7000/5425
    Credit Card 0% 2015.32 eon 435 overdrafts 1500/1300
  • archived user
    Yay for exchanging! it's speeding along!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 22nd Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    louby40
    Exciting stuff! You'll be in before you know it1
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 22nd Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Thanks Louby40 great timing on posting as I was just googling restaurants to go for dinner.....which we cannot afford! Hummm maybe we could stretch to a take away. It's my partners day off we get one day off together a month so it feels like it should be a treat day. Plus we've been packing all day and I have no motivation to cook. Hummm
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • List Maker
    • By List Maker 23rd Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    List Maker
    Congratulations!! You must be so happy, I cannot wait to be in the position you are in. Will be following for all your interior saving ideas and such.
    HOUSE DEPOSIT - 8,196.10/35,000
    Future Mat Savings - 700/2,500
    Debt Free since July 2016
    SPC #96 2018 1,327.63
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 23rd Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Hey List Maker I love your name!!

House decorating tip #1 don't spend 15 minutes weighting up which paint will be the cheapest then grab any old pack on painting brushes from the end of the isle! 15 for 5 brushes! Oops!

Ive been getting urges to go shopping so headed out with ds2 after dropping ds1 at school this morning. 98 spent in b&q massive pot of while paint (I love white walls) a nice blue for ds1's room this was an exspensive make at 28 for a 2.5l tub I just couldn't find another shade I liked as much. Two cube baskets to repurpose a children's cube cabinet into a to cabinet for the PlayStation room. Then some rollers, sheets etc. I think I've got everything to do all the work I want doing straight away. There are a few colour walls that I just cannot live with at the moment there. I think once we are in the house the shopping urges should settle. It's just an exciting time and while I can't get in there and get stuck in painting etc I'm spending too much time on Pinterest and internet browsing. X
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 24th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    DP picked up a second hand ikea day bed for me on his way home yesterday for 100 I'd been eyeing it up but it's 409 new it's currently dismantled and propped up by my dining table. My house is now chaos! X

Been packing more bits and bobs this morning. I'm going to make a couple of chilli's (one vegan one meat) for dinner tonight. We can have leftovers tomorrow then I'll freeze a portion for next week. I could do with meal planning and buying a few bits to make easy meals from the freezer then also buying some ready meals for days when we really have no time. X
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 30th Apr 18, 6:37 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning,

So move day is finally here!!! Eeek! I've been a bit spendy so thought I'd check in before it all get a bit mad. Cc of 2400 800 spent so far on second hand day bed, paint and diy supplies, ikea storage units for the boys rooms and a rug for the study, 100 deposit on a dfs sofa bed (bed was 350 inc delivery we have been looking for ages for a second hand one but didn't find anything to suit. So 250 has been finance on 0% with dfs 6 a month. I know I said I wouldn't but.......it's a good quality sofa and everything second hand was just grubby and so dated and the dfs one was in the sale and they are such good quality so I know it'll last). We have 1600 left on the card and I plan to but a dishwasher, sort the garden maybe just a smaller project the initially thought now. And lastly a tv unit for the living room, but then even this could wait as we are planning on using one of the boys new storage units for now. I have set up DD for 80 to the credit card which will clear the full amount in the 30 month 0% interest period but hopefully we won't spend the full amount. I should (WILL!!!) cancel it once the have brought the rest of the stuff or hide
    It away for an emergence now I own a home!

DP had another rubbish pay day :0( plus he had to pay for a speed aware ness course so that's left out joint account looking a bit grim.

I have a cleaner coming Saturday for an end of tenancy clean inc oven 100 we have damaged the house a little in the 4 years we've been here so not getting my hopes up too much for our deposit back but also kind of wishing for our 575 deposit back. We shall see. My dad is lending me his carpet shampooer to do the carpets and dp needs to come back and paint a couple of rooms.

He is working today boo! But then we have nearly two weeks off together.....which will no doubt screw up his next payday too :0(

Our childcare costs have gone down a lot recently and we have 700 sat in our childcare voucher fund! I've lowered my payments right down for now and DP is trying to find out how to lower his for a couple of months as the month would be better in our back account at the moment.

Must remember I do not need to make the house Pinterest perfect straight away!!! It is a marathon not a race!!!!!!!!

Right ds1 is chatting away so he'll be in my bed any minute. I will be back soon. Feeing a lot better and focused for posting! I need to remember just because I have a cc doesn't mean I need to max it out!!!!!!

Feel free to tell me off for spending ;0)
    Xxx
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 30th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    • 7,404 Posts
    • 16,340 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Good luck for moving day.

I agree with watching pennies as moving house is one of the spending triggers.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • louby40
    • By louby40 30th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    louby40
    Good luck with the move.

I've been in my house 3 years now and still got so much to do and buy. Be careful with your money.
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 2nd May 18, 7:20 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning....from my new bedroom with a brew :0) bloody awful night the baby just wouldn't settle! Ah well tea will help! But as promised I will check in more now to keep my shopping urges in check.

130 spent on curtains for the boys rooms we have big 240cm wide windows in every room and Ds2 has two! These were argos plain basic curtains. We have blinds in our bedroom which will do for now. Living room and dining room need curtains really but they will have to wait a bit.

Productive day yesterday emptying out a pond I have ordered 1 ton of road stone and a ton of top soil to fill it in then we will tuff an area of the garden. I shopped around and got both for 100 some places wanted 200

DP is moving all furtniute today with his friend so he said he'd take him for lunch there is a great restaurant close by. I've told him to take ds1 and I'll put the baby to bed and have some time alone to unpack onto the furniture they bring. Also this cuts out on two more people on the lunch bill.....plus it's a restaurant called meat inc not very vegan friends

Our fridge wouldn't fit in the new kitchen so the plan was to buy a new one but for now I am going to pop it in the utility room and see how I manage it's not to far away. Hoping it doesn't bother me to much. We will need an electrician to fit a plus as there is electric cables but now socket but an extension cable will do for the time being. This work would need doing in the future anyway so just a job saved when we renovate that room.

I am holding out on ordering my dishwasher I reallllllly want one but it can wait a little. It's not an essential item!

I need to return one set of curtains to George so will bag these up ready and leave in the car for when we pass by one.

My poor sister fell down the stairs Monday and broke both her ankles. She's had surgery to fit metal plates in one so had a cast on that one and a boot on the other. She went home last night and is having a day to see how she can manage. She has two children 4 & 1 and is going to try and look after these with help from friends and family. I live an hours drive away and have my own two the same age. I'm really worried for her and don't think she should be pushing herself so hard. I've told her to come live with us we have the study downstairs which is next to a bathroom. I said he kids would need to go their dads the majority of the time but could stay over a few nights when I wasn't working. Obviously I'm hoping she gets on fine but I don't think it's going to be that easy. Poor thing is having one hell of a year!!!

Right I'd best get up and sorted. DP is meant to be having an early trip to the new house to tidy and organise all the furtnite but is currently snoring away as we were both up until 4am trying different tactics to settle the baby Zzzzz x
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 2nd May 18, 7:28 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Oh also we had a chippy tea last night. Freezer is coming today so I will cook dinner tonight!!! That's the only take out this week though. Xx
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 2nd May 18, 7:33 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Oh also we are trying hard to make the old house look nice we've damaged a few bits a bobs but secretly hoping for our 575 deposit back. If we get this I WILL pay it all of the credit card!!!! Don't let me spend it on wicker baskets!!!!!!!!!!!
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd May 18, 10:26 AM
    • 7,404 Posts
    • 16,340 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Good idea to pay the deposit off the credit cards. I feel for you re the dishwasher but you have managed without until now so just put it top of the list after the garden and first months bills. We always found there was something after moving so best to give it a month or two to live in the house without buying loads of stuff.

Your poor sister. Breaking both ankles and having two small children is awful. Is she separated from the kids dad?

I feel for you re the baby. My DD has a 12 day old newborn who seems to be going through a growth spurt so both her and DH are feeling the lack of sleep particularly with an early rising 2.7 year old.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 6th May 18, 7:01 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    I ordered the dishwasher. I've always said when I got my own home we would have one and with the boys it would be literally life changing. I cook from scratch most days so create a lot of washing up. That's my justification. That and the 0% interest means I'd be saving up for months to buy it when I couple have it now. I know that's how they work and it's a slippey slop but I've got this. I promise!! Hey maybe it'll even free up enough time for me to not want a cleaner any more so it could potentially be a money saving idea ;0)

So 545 left of the credit card limit. All we "need" now is to do the garden. 2 ton of pond filler arriving next Friday so once we've moved that all in we will start clearing the turf are and then get it all sorted.

Heading to the beach today. DP is back to work tomorrow and they boys have been sidelined all week we decided to take a day away from the house and have a family day. I have some cash knocking around which should cover today's spends.

DP fitted a new door handle to the old house as the old one had snapped. I went to check after the cleaner yesterday and the living room door wouldn't open. He thinks he fitted it the wrong way so the bit that pokes out and into the wood frame has the longer non curved end near the front if that makes sense. Really not sure what to do you cannot acces the other side of the door anymore and removing the handle from the side we can get to doesn't do anything. !!!!!!. Bye bye deposit!
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 7th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Nice day at the beach yesterday. Kept to our budget....then cracked the widow screen with a stone on the way home. Luckily our insurance covers it but we have had to pay the 100 excess.

Few rooms painted last night :0) it's so nice to have some colours on the walls after rental magnolia for the last 10 years.

My mum gifted us 100 when we moved in. We still have no curtains in the dining room or living room so I think I will put it towards an pair on wooden blinds for the dining room. They'll will have to be made to measure so about 130 x
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 8th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning,

Actually feeling like I don't want to spend money today :0) the house is looking fab with a few rooms painted and the rest can wait until we have actual cash to but the bits and bobs I want.

I've been following The Organised Mummy and really want to get into a better routine with washing,cleaning etc. So every night before I go to bed I've been popping a wash on then in the morning I'll put away the dry clothes and hang the new load up. I need to get a washing line up once the garden is sorted for any invetween loads towels, bedding etc. So the idea is you spend 30 mins a day cleaning and the rooms rotate and you do no cleaning on a weekend. I may rejig the schedule to suit my work days. 15mins spend in one bathroom already this morning then I'll find another 15mins later when the boys are downstairs and occupied. X
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 10th May 18, 7:54 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning,

So we painted ds's bedroom yesterday but ran out of paint so popped to wilko 40 spent on paint, masking tape and a picture frame for a print my sister brought me as a moving in present (she couldn't get the frame herself as it was sent by post) we also brought a few sample pots of paint for our room then I ordered the paint I want in our room from b&q and a pair of shears for the garden (it was a spend 6 more to save the 5 delivery fee situation so I got something we need)

My bank account is looking grim!! I am meant to be going out for a friends birthday tomorrow night but tempted to pull a sicky as I don't feel comfortable spending money on alcohol with here money is at the moment. But then I haven't had a proper night out for a while so we shall see. If I do go I'll take 40 cash and not take my card out. I get paid Tuesday so could always take it from my next pocket money allowance and be boring next month.

I checked my pay and once that's gone in all accounts should be back on track with a couple of 100 spare so that's reassuring. We have the paint and two one of stones coming tomorrow to keep us busy around the house for a good few weeks.

We are still waiting to hear from our old landlord to see if we are getting our 575 deposit back.

I need to try and tuck some more money away into DP's Birthday fund if I'm going to be able to afford his PS4 I need to put 63 away each payday for the next three months. I think it's doable. Saying that I really need to start building up the emergency fund too.

Aghhh right roll on payday I do not like the feeling of being in my overdraft after not using it for so long. X
    boys savings

Family loan 7000/5425
    • List Maker
    • By List Maker 10th May 18, 10:15 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    List Maker
    You are on such a roll!!
    Crazy how having freshly painted rooms can add so much to your mood.
    x
    HOUSE DEPOSIT - 8,196.10/35,000
    Future Mat Savings - 700/2,500
    Debt Free since July 2016
    SPC #96 2018 1,327.63
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter