Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    • 804Posts
    • 1,095Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:18 PM
    Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track. 15th Jun 16 at 9:18 PM
    Hey everyone,

I'm Hannah I'm 30 (not sure how or when that happened my memory must be going because I only feel 21 mentally 50 physically though )my debt is shifting in the right direction and we are able to pay 200-300 off a month but with maternity pay fast approaching I felt a diary would be a good way to keep me on track. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second little boy. DS1 ( darling son)is two on the 29th. We are going on a holiday to Devon Friday. Guessing all this expense has got me wanting to keep things in check. Since being so good I get panicky about spending but chunks of money. We booked a small family holiday though before DS2 arrives as we haven't been on a holiday for 4 years and wanted to take Kian before things got crazy. Everyone's got to live a little right. I'm also currently on an 8 week full paid sabbatical from work...it's great but that's also 5 extra days a week to try not spend money! I tell you this weather needs to perk up soft play isn't cheap!!

I was awful with money years back even had a diary on here
    previously. I have been cleaning debt for a few years now. I have some of my own debt and joint from buying things for our home my partner has bad credit due to a mortgage he's stuck in with his step father. ...we will cross this bridge at a later date but it is all (touch wood) on track now. Other than that he is great with money and has taught me a lot!! Me and DP (darling parter) share money fairly we both have pocket money then anything else go into the joint account/off my debt repayment. I was part time when I went back after DS1 but went full time when we were planning DS2 1) for the maternity pay and 2) I know my 8 weeks paid sabbatical was due so wanted to get full time pay for this. I have 6 weeks full time to work before maternity leave and I'm dreading it, but hey ho needs must! Think of the money I keep telling myself. I feel I am in a good place and manage money so much better than I used to. I'll share my tips with you.....when I get a chance. I will also update my signature with SOA ASAP.

Thanks for reading (if anyone is) now that's off my chest time for a bath then bed.
    Hannah

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 18-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
Page 31
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 26th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Note to self......looking on Amazon for learning resources doesn't mean you can spend money you are trying to buy a house!!!
    Savings 208
    emergency fund:01000 Uniform fund:20
    Christmas fund 40 bday 30 Dp bday:59
    Noodle: me: 622 DP:576 Clear: 475DP: 414 mse:991/66%
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 26th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Huge house news - congratulations - sounds amazing - and pleased for your sister too - Hope she is OK.

Don't work too hard, and hope you feel brighter soon. Ramble xx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 1st Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Quick pop on to get everything out of my brain and it's clogged up!

Survey results still not back yet but a friend has mentioned the house needs repointing and it could be costly as the house is straight only the main path and would need permits for scofoldibg etc. Which has made me rethink wheather it's the right house for us. I love our currently location with having friends close by, a free school bus for ds come September and it's such a small village that the boys could play out on the park alone from about 6. You can see the park from my house. We could buy this for 85,000 of the landlord and extend which would also add value if it was still to small for us. It would cut into the garden a lot tho. There is no right or wrong answer that's the problem I just need to weigh up the pros and cons of each and make and decision I guess. Not good when I'm an over thinker anyway. ughhh house buying is stressful!
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 1st Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 6,266 Posts
    • 12,467 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Remember very few of us get our perfect house first time. Weighing up the pros and cons is good. What is the difference in cost between your current rented house and your proposed purchase? How much would an extension cost and can you live with a smaller garden if there is a park nearby?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 8th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Right a lot has changed again.....the survey was awful a lot of damp etc the house received a highter offer, the owners wanted us up up our offer which we refused....we were set on buying our current properly and received a quote for the extension we wanted.....then the perfect property came up on right move....it was like fate. Viewing booked and the house was absolutely perfect for us. Old RAF base so the area isn't the prettiest but that's refelected in the price. The house it's self is beautifully decorated bar the garden which is all paved so we will get that sorted and turfed for the boys. Offer accepted during the viewing and taken straight off the market. Conveyancing started today. Eeeek it's just perfect. I need to check in here more often and get back in the habit I'm not spending at the moment my dad is helping with fees and he brought my sisters wedding dress and marriage isn't my cup of tea. So fingers crossed by may we will be in. Hoping to save as much as we can between now and then to make moving easier, save some for the garden work. I want a cleaner once I move in as it's a large 5 bed that I will struggle to keep clean and tidy with my energetic boys so I need to make sure all the bills add up. Eeek!

Completely skint until 15th now. Me and dp are both off work Valentine's Day so thinking we will use Tesco vouchers to go to prezzo or somewhere for lunch with the boys. Dp has had an amazing start to the month at work so fingers crossed that continues it would be handy in the next couple of months pay packets were big for stashing money away.

Sorry bit of a random post. Just trying to clear my brain so it stops over thinking. X
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 8th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Guess I came on as I'm worried about removal costs etc we basically have 700 after deposit is paid. After having money in savings for so long it seems scary this is what's it's all been for tho so gotta try enjoy it then get back on track with emergency funds etc after the move.
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 8th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Firstly, huge congratulations on the house. It sounds amazing!!

Totally get your panic about having less of a stash in the bank and think that everything you can do now to squirrel away is a good idea. You can move yourself quite cheap if you hire a Lutin van and can ask family for help with childcare. Exhausting though. Would still be worth getting some removal quotes as if it's just picking up and moving boxes and furniture you could probably get that for under 500 and it's SO much easier!!

One thing to be aware of is that depending when in the month you get the house your first mortgage payment could be quite big. I think our first payment was 900 against a mortgage of 600 as it actually covered first 6 weeks. We hadn't realised this and it caught us short. You also need to budget in for eating out / feeding yourselves as in the run up to the move its really tough to get everything done as well as cook properly.

Exciting xxx
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 8th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Thanks Ramblehan :0) great advice. I've got quotes for a removal van and end of tenancy cleaner but dp works in car sales and thinks he could borrow a van for a day or two and rope some mates in to help so if we can save 500 there and pay for the cleaner I'll be happy with that. We don't really have much as both properties have built in wardrobes. Good call on the take away fund. I've made a jobs list of bits to sort around the house cupboards, shed etc so I'll add some bath cooking to the list too for ease. X
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 8th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Wow how exciting! I DREAM of a five bed house, means I could have all my kids in their own rooms, around here it would cost around 500,000 unless we struck lucky with a converted one somewhere, but would still be over 400,000 way out of our reach.

Yes get a cleaner (it's my job lol!) Help someone else pay their mortgage

But sounds like it has all happened for a reason, good luck with all the house buying stuff
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 8th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    123,000 it's madness round here! In the middle of nowhere but that's how we like it.....I am thinking maybe I could squeeze in another baby.....don't tell dp tho!
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 8th Feb 18, 8:00 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Omg, that's less than half what our three bed ex council house is worth

I would adore to live in the middle of nowhere, we have friends on one of the Scottish islands, their style of living is my ideal. Unfortunately in my younger days I fell in love with a man whose idea of lifestyle is vastly different to mine, so it never materialised.
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 8th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    My partner was the same. From Birmingham never needed to drive as public transport was easier. But now he drives I've slowly been moving further and further away and he loves it! Job opportunity isn't great around here so own day my boys will probably move away :,0(. Good job I'm good at cooking that should keep them visiting me at least. X
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 9th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    My husband can't drive so it would be more awkward if we lived in the sticks. Although he refuses to use buses so will walk to town (about 40mins). With his new job he is working about a 45min drive away, but he has to take two trains and because the first one is at 7am j end up getting up at 6.30am and taking him to the train station. (My oldest is 14 so can leave all the kids at home, am home in 15mins) it is annoying him not driving, means I have to take the kids to all appointment/parties/activities. But he is over 40 now and will never learn.
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 12th Feb 18, 7:17 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning,

Drawingaline my parter was exactly the same but changed his mind when I was pregnant. Maybe one day he will you never know.

Completely and utterly skint here. My sister was meant to be coming over yesterday but saw her husband had posted all over Facebook about his new girlfriend so she wanted to go to the beach for some fresh air. I managed to scrape some money together but that is it until pay day we are wiped out and it's half term and Valentine's Day before then yay! I have a card already and dp is off velentubea day so thinking of suing Tesco vouchers for a lunch out with the boys. He can't get the drinks I think he has a little of his pocket money left. I had to take 47 from the ISA :0( I'd cleared the next card which needed doing badly for the mortgage check anyway. Received an invoice from the solicitors for the fees and deposit and EE are about 370 short for this, 278 short for the mortgage fees and our electricity account is about 200 over we upped our payment last summer to cover it but it's not been long enough yet so I could do with just clearing that incase we don't carry our account over to the new house. Then there is money for removal costs. Good job the house buying process is slow it should give me a few months to tuck money away. So for now I need to be as frugal as I can. I need to do a food shop but need to meal plan around what we already have in the cupboards to keep costs down. Lots of free days out with the boys in a bid to not spend all my pocket money and squirrel some of that away too. I need to come on here more often too and get it out of my brain as it's stressing me out a little. Xx
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 12th Feb 18, 7:18 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Oh also the broker is sending the mortgage proposals over to be checked today then it'll go to the underwrites. Eeeeek!
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 13th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Quick pop in as my brain keeps going over and over money. Food shop coming today 70 spent which for me is a small shop....maybe I need to join a food shopping thread.

Day in with the boys again today. Just built a massive den so that should keep them busy for at least 4 minutes.

Roll on payday 15th....not so I can spend money just move it all around and be skint again. X
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    chelseablue
    Wow 123,000 for a 5 bed house

We paid 400,000 for an ex-council 3 bed semi 2 years ago

Sometimes hate living in the South East!
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 13th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Yeah it's crazy isn't it. I really don't know how some people afford to buy in bigger cities. X
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 14th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hey HR. All this skintness will be worth it!
    I find trying to cut down on food budget super tough - but planning has helped. I presume you are already using Aldi / Lidl?
    One of the best things I do is make soup (butternut squash, onion and stock with tikka masala spice mix) so that does good for lunches, with a bit of toast and a knob of cheese. Otherwise its adding lentils to bolognaise to bulk it up and then making chilli, cottage pie and bolognaise with it, if I do a kg at a time I can make about 5 good sized family teas.
    All takes prep though!! Homemade pizza really easy and much cheaper too and great for kids to make their own.
    Hope things keep progressing with your purchase. I think the average time is 12 weeks for sales to go through, but can be longer than that!!
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 17th Feb 18, 7:05 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Hi ramblehan,

I used to use Aldi but got a Tesco deliver save pass for 3.50 and have been a bit lazy. I will commit to alternating between the two so every other week Aldi then Tesco delivery for my vegan biscuits that Aldi don't sell. I only give the kids meat once a week and fish once a week so the costs on that are pretty low as lentils and beans are used for most receipts.

Things are progress will with the house. Mortgage send to the underwriters Wednesday eeek! The conveyancing costs keep creeping up tho! Not fun!

Sat in bed with a brew feeling guilty as I caved and ordered a take away last night 27 for two of us to eat! Shocking! Dp was meant to be home for dinner with us all but ended up staying late so I decided to not cook twice and have a treat as it was Friday. I can't wait until I don't have to feel guilty about every little treat. But then even if I was loaded I think 27 for a take away for two is a waste of money. Oh well it's done now!

Staying at a friends house tonight she has a hot tub for her birthday week so that'll be fun. I'll grab a bottle of wine on the way and eat with the boys before I go incase take away is suggested. Can't be wasting more money on take away after last night. Then I have a girls take away night next Thursday for a friends birthday. My sisters birthday this payday too so I'll grab her present next time I'm in a shop so that's done and I need to save some pocket money incase she wants to do lunch or a day out for her birthday. She is settled into her house now and seems a lot happier. X

Right I can hear the toddler singing to himself in bed so I'd bed concentrate on my brew before he comes and jumps on me x
    Savings 208
    Family loan 7000/5875
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,147Posts Today

8,209Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin