Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    • 1,535Posts
    • 7,170Thanks
    mary hinge
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!"
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!" 14th Jun 16 at 10:26 PM
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It is about learning to dance in the rain!"

The house of Hinge has moved on hugely since I first joined Mse and started "Unhinged!" and I felt we needed a fresh page to mark the place we are at in our journey! Back in those days we were very much under a huge black storm cloud, dodging the rumbles of thunder yet these days we are very much donning our wellies and certainly jumping in lots of puddles if not doing a little dance in the rain

June marks Superman's 8th birthday, His annual meeting at school to review his progress and the beginning of his transition in to year 4!! Master H is also on the transition train and his declared his new school totally "awesome, cool, wicked!!" Missy H is looking forward to her day in the west end and her drama workshops and is on the welcoming team to show the new school recruits around on their visit days!

Debt continues to reduce on our Dmp with SC, It is time for our annual review and I have made the execuetive decision to switch to self management in view of our plans to offer full and finals when Mr H's inheritence arrives. We are currently sitting at £13k owing and aiming to clear the balances with some cheeky reduced offers...... well, like they say If you don't ask you don't get!!

I'm currently in DLA form hell with Missy H's renewal forms Why do they make them so complex?! The whole process is draining!

Health/diet/sanity wise I'm firmly on the wagon!! 34lbs gone this year so far and plenty more to go I have found a love for exercise classes and clubbersize if my favourite Thankfully the dark cloud above me seems to of upped and left and with out any external demands or stresses I'm trundling along nicely!

Now to stick the kettle on and wait for my sofa buddies with the biccies!!

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
Page 14
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 1st Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    All sounding good! Glad you had a fab holiday and even brought some spends home .

Go Superman with his Yorkies Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky

life skills and all at least he wont go hungry
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 2nd Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Kids club tickets booked for tomorrow - used Superman's CEA card to get me in for free.... will pick up sweets and drinks on route to save on the ridiculous prices....

Picked the new energy tariff as ours is coming to an end.... seems to be getting more expensive (like everything else ) despite our usage being 18% lower this year!

Ordered a family pass for a ''not-too-far-away'' family attraction ( possibly for the next half term) - bargain at half price, will take a picnic as the weather should be warmer by then. We went when superman was a toddler and have had it on the list of places to go to for a while now!

Picked up some much needed new undies for the little H's in the Sainsbury's 25% off sale, master H needed Easter tat for his homework and they were all reduced to pennies... winner! Mr H was perplexed at the lack of Easter eggs for him so found a few big ones down to £1 to keep him quiet..... not that he bought me one or that he's a grown up or anything

Haven't made it to the farm shop for tatties today - will add that to the list for tomorrow, will need some to go with our stew and dumplings. Will be pork steaks and savory rice for dinner tonight I think or freezer dip if I CBA to tired to cook

Right must go do some knitting - almost finished a cardigan of Hitchhiker but have a good 4-5 more on the list to make

Hope all are well

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 2nd Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 9,014 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    You are never too grown up for an Easter egg . Not that I got one this year, but MiL did give me wine instead . Saving it for the end of the Half Term when it will no doubt be a medicinal need rather than a want Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 35/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 2nd Apr 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    You are never too grown up for an Easter egg . Not that I got one this year, but MiL did give me wine instead . Saving it for the end of the Half Term when it will no doubt be a medicinal need rather than a want Xx

I was rather confused/bemused at the photos on FB yesterday from friends that had treated Easter as a new christmas or birthday event and their children had piles and piles of not just chocolate eggs but toys/lego/dolls/ps4 games etc..... We don't generally go to mad at Easter, being in our own little bubble there is only usually the eggs we buy and the little H's may get one from a good friend of mine, she is like their surrogate granny and likes to make sure they don't get left out! We do often buy a small gift as the "hunt" prize but we didn't do a hunt this year. They got new t-shirts and a few ''fiddle toys'' from the £1 shop as Superman is chewing his way through everything recently! £5-6 each max....

I feel like I'm in need of a bucket full of wine for medicinal purposes not that I can have any - you are welcome to my share
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 4th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Busy day yesterday in the house of Hinge, I think we have all come home from holiday with the snots and full of cold No one particularly feels unwell but we are getting through reams and reams of tissues and no one can breath easily Master H has woken up the last few days at daft o'clock needed to be de-bogieed as he was panicking about his breathing slathering his nose in vaseline before bed hasn't helped much but does make the removal process some what easier the joys of been a mum hey!

We enjoyed kids club before a long list of chores we had to complete farm shop for 30 x eggs and 25kg dirty tatties (£11), missy H's replacement glasses (thankfully free!) to collect.... forgot to take my contact lenses with me for a refund , visited the scout shop for new uniform before the usual tuesday evening hobbies/swim lessons kicked in.

Beef stew was slung in the slow cooker at 7am so at least tea was sorted, missy H had to earn her new uniform and camp money by cutting the lawn and peeling the spuds you would of thought I had asked her to eat her right arm by the face on her

Shes all packed and ready to be deposited in the next hour or so. I shall pop in and see a friend for a cuppa and a natter whilst I'm over that way - saving petrol on multiple journeys. Need to check the front tyres air - I think we need new ones they were topped up before holiday but appear to have a slow leak. Will get some part worn from the scrap yard down the road - they are £15 each and the ones we've had previously have looked almost new. Will add them to the list

No sure of the plan for tea, something with hm wedges/chips I think maybe cajun chicken or chillie from the freezer!

Hope all are well and surviving the easter break!

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 8th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Back to school prep has begun in the house of Hinge!

Mr H washed and ironed the uniforms before we went away, pack ups made, bags packed, Home work almost done.... Superman currently in meltdown that master H can do the work he has been given but he can't Not cool to be out smarted by your baby brother So just Pe kits to hunt out and them all to drown bath later

Missy H has broken her bed it's now firewood. Meant she finally had to tide up her room but she is on her mattress on the floor for the time being, I'm keeping my eye out on the local selling pages for another frame for her.... or bunk beds for master H then she can have his.

most Hobbies paid for this month/half term, just waiting on a invoice for master H's footie and Superman's music lessons.... his show invoice arrived yesterday and thankfully I've paid more than half of it by paying an extra few ££s each week. Ticket for his show £52 and some baby bits in the Asda event have wiped me out until tomorrow. Mr H is grumbling that me wants to go shopping today for "his" food so sulking now he has to wait until tomorrow..... I emptied my purse £8 and sent him of for pop and chocolate.... He wont starve There are freshly baked buns, brownies and twink biscuits in the tubs, I've peeled a mountain of spuds for acti-fry chips/mash/leek and tattie soup and have shredded the veggies for a stirfry/noodle - chow mein-ie thing for tea. Made banana and sultana bread for Missy H and cooked some self marinaded mini chicken fillets for her to have cold in pack ups for a few days. She likes the fridge raiders but unfortunately they don't agree with her tummy!

Meals this week will be potato heavy, have a huge sack from the farm to keep us going!

• burgers with brioche buns hm wedges and salad/slaw
    • sausage/toad in the hold with mash and veggies
    • cajun chicken steaks with jacket spuds, corn and salad
    • jacket potatoes with choice of fillings
    • chow mein/stirfry noodles
    • chicken steaks (maybe burgers) with wedges and veggies
    • Roast beef and yorkie pudding dinner

Pack up bits are put aside out the way to stop them vanishing - Superman and master H must have hollow legs at the moment as they are ALWAYS eating

Hope all are well

Mrs H xx
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 8th Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 9,014 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Iím wrecked just reading all of that!!!

Hope you enjoy the peace and quiet while your little darlings are back at school Xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 56,839 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are a real busy bee.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 9th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    First school run of the week completed! Went almost with out a hitch - Mr H said Superman had a meltdown at school gates and had to go in through the main reception Master H pulled 2 goats of his easter bonnet homework on the way and had a screaming fit because they couldn't be glued on immediately in the street Thankfully missy H gave me no bother

I'm currently on the phone in a que (30mins+) to check what out options are with the holiday we booked last year for the Summer as I will either be very heavily pregnant as in 40 weeks or have a tiny newborn.... or potentially give birth there I'm hoping it can be rearranged for october half term maybe.... if not it will have to be cancelled and we take the hit I guess thats the chance you take when you book 12months in advance and don't have a crystal ball!The balance is due today so fingers crossed they can work it out for us!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 9th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Iím wrecked just reading all of that!!!

Hope you enjoy the peace and quiet while your little darlings are back at school Xx

Will be getting the house in order then flopping I think!! I'm bushed!!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 9th Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    You are a real busy bee.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    How are you Beanie?
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 9th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Holiday sorted, much cheaper as a down grade on accommodation (no hot tub ) but the dates changed and a refund given which is great considering I had a outstanding balance to pay today even remembered to book a cot feels strange that we will have a baby again

Animals booked in to be looked after and Mr H updated on the change of plan....

Master H wants a visual timetable counting down to his birth in September think he feels he is missing out as Superman has them for every occasion.... will set Mr H off and that, I usually draw them but I'm sure his IT skills can run to a template... may happen sometime next year along with my laptop
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 56,839 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am plodding on thanks

Glad you got the holiday sorted out.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 9th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 9,014 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great news on the holiday change .

Hope the kids all had a good first day back Xx

• mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 21st Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    well what can I say about the last few weeks..... hellish? horrendous? horrible? hectic? All the fore-mentioned!

Where to start! Missy H poorly, emergency surgery, hospital stay.....currently still recovering but thankfully on the mend.

I managed to get Superman's DLA renew completed and posted of, not the anxious wait to see if they stuff it up if they sort it out. Really took it out of me emotionally filling in those blinking forms. We are a glass half full kind of approach with out beloved Superman. We look back at how far he has come yet these forms smack us in the face with just how far he still has to go fingers crossed it goes through smoothly and we don't have to go to appeal. The same afternoon as I posted them Missy H's renewal pack fell on to the door mat. I've shoved it in a draw and am ignoring it for now, we have a few months before hers needs doing - if we do in fact do it at all. She's been doing well recently ( well before the surgery) and we are really happy with her progress.

Midwife visited, all going well - I don't have gestational diabetes even though they insist on testing me every pregnancy due to family history They gave me some forms for healthy start vouchers so posted them off.

It seems that stepchange have finally sorted the problem out with the mix up of client reference numbers, however they just don't seem to communicate very well as they wrote to me saying my payments are being returned and my creditor is rejecting all my payments When I rang them to find out whats going on no one really knew. Took 3 phone calls to work out the letter was a mistake and the returned payments are for the other client that has been paying under the wrong number So I pulled the plugged. cancelled my DMP and have sent off letters to my 3 creditors explaining I will self manage on the same terms/payments they currently get. waiting to hear back from them but have unplugged the house phone in the meantime to avoid any calls no one rings it anyway but just to be sure

I have a list of things to save for seems to be getting longer and some of the items I've been talking about for 2-3 years now and just haven't gotten around to sorting them out.

• Bunk beds for Master H - keep looking on the selling pages but they've always sold by the time I see them!
    • new mattress' for all but superman
    • garden table and chairs - been looking for a sale bargain for 2-3 years but then say "I'll sort it next year" ours really is on it's last legs now
    • new car thats the biggie we need 7 seats
    Mr H says my laptop needs some new parts, they will be £15 but no guarantees they will defiantly fix the problem and they are non-returnable I've told him to hold off - I've used Superman's Pc the handful of times I've been online other than my phone. Just means I'm not doing any surveys and they were really helping boost the spendings/savings pots. Sigh.

Letter home from school for the boys for school trips coming up.... £22 in total.... all pay out! pay out! pay out at the minute!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 56,839 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad Missy H is now on the mend.
    Still worth doing the DLA renewal i think.
    Well done on doing Master H's DLA forms.
    Hope you are keeping well.

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 21st Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 9,014 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    You are such a trouper.

Much love Xx

• mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 4th Sep 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    .............. Mr H has fixed my poor old battered laptop

Hitchhiker requires my full attention ...... be back to update!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 4th Sep 18, 10:36 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Well what can I say?! its all a mixed bag here.....

Hitchhiker arrived safe and well and we are all totally smitten! Time is flying by too fast though and they have already lost their "newness"....it's been a bumpy few weeks but we are out the other side and the path feels smoother!

Money wise things are all in a pickle not really sure how or why but there just never seems to be enough to go round. Summer we have penny pinched all holidays and not ventured far..... mostly down to new baby exhaustion and little hinge's longing for PS4 and pants but money did play a factor. We've scraped through back to school uniforms in a fashion but still have some bits to buy..... missy H needs a new pe hoodie £27 and needs measuring for new bras. Superman needs a new rain coat, 2 jumpers and will need some new plimmies and shoes for winter. Master H has been saddled with supermans handme downs from the loft to be far superman spent most of his time at that age naked so they are like brand new

They have all turned another year older with birthdays and we managed with bargains to give them mostly what they had on their wish lists. The attention turns to christmas as I haven't a thing in the present cupboard and I'm usually finished by now!

Missy H is shattered from her first week back at school - her temper and attitude shows that much Superman is bouncing off the walls - new class, building, teacher and lsa so all changed he is feeling rather sorry for himself. Master H has scored the best with great teacher and all his mates!

Warm home grant email pinged in my inbox so thats all done and applied for.... get those application forms in early guys!

I'm making the most of been pinned to the sofa with a boobing baby and have made £20+ today on surveys hoping it will boost the christmas present pot

Hope all is well in MSE land, I hope toget our finances back on track so you will be hearing more from me over the coming months

Miss you all!

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Sep 18, 9:28 AM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 33,125 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Great to hear from you, so pleased that the latest addition has arrived safely. I am sure that you will soon get the finances back on track, you are a past master at it

Hope that the new stuff soon settles down for Missy H and Superman, it must be so hard for them.

Take care of you too,
    xxx
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,262Posts Today

8,084Users online

Martin's Twitter