Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    • 1,525Posts
    • 7,138Thanks
    mary hinge
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!"
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!" 14th Jun 16 at 10:26 PM
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It is about learning to dance in the rain!"

The house of Hinge has moved on hugely since I first joined Mse and started "Unhinged!" and I felt we needed a fresh page to mark the place we are at in our journey! Back in those days we were very much under a huge black storm cloud, dodging the rumbles of thunder yet these days we are very much donning our wellies and certainly jumping in lots of puddles if not doing a little dance in the rain

June marks Superman's 8th birthday, His annual meeting at school to review his progress and the beginning of his transition in to year 4!! Master H is also on the transition train and his declared his new school totally "awesome, cool, wicked!!" Missy H is looking forward to her day in the west end and her drama workshops and is on the welcoming team to show the new school recruits around on their visit days!

Debt continues to reduce on our Dmp with SC, It is time for our annual review and I have made the execuetive decision to switch to self management in view of our plans to offer full and finals when Mr H's inheritence arrives. We are currently sitting at £13k owing and aiming to clear the balances with some cheeky reduced offers...... well, like they say If you don't ask you don't get!!

I'm currently in DLA form hell with Missy H's renewal forms Why do they make them so complex?! The whole process is draining!

Health/diet/sanity wise I'm firmly on the wagon!! 34lbs gone this year so far and plenty more to go I have found a love for exercise classes and clubbersize if my favourite Thankfully the dark cloud above me seems to of upped and left and with out any external demands or stresses I'm trundling along nicely!

Now to stick the kettle on and wait for my sofa buddies with the biccies!!

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
Page 13
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great baby bargains
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 5th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Mr H and I went for breakfast today - a little posh place that is rather pricey.... thankfully we had a voucher for "free breakfast for 2" which we won at the school christmas raffle very nice it was too!

Been a lovely quiet day whilst the little Hinges have been at school, had a soak in the bath, a nap and then went for coffee and cake before the school run

Fed the car some petrol, it deserved a good meal after this mornings school run was done mostly on fumes

Superman has swimming tonight then I'm heading out to a local craft evening for a bit..... I'm hoping Mr H offers to sort out tea for the little Hinges as I'm shattered and I haven't done anything

The buttons arrived to finish of some knitted bit I've made and I am super happy with them it's hard whne buying these things online to get just the right colour..... little things in life. little things
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 5th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 51,776 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Free breakfast sounds awesome . As does cake. Mmmmm cake .

Have a lovely evening Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 30/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Free breakfast sounds good to me

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 8th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    what a busy few days!

All hobbies for the month paid, cashed out £20 from PA in to the holiday pot - I moved over this months CT money over too

I reluctantly Submitted our meter readings this morning and was pleasantly suprised when they calculated our bill and we in credit by £13.53 after months of hammering the heating thats on the reduced DD too which saved us £36 a month

A quiet day in the house of Hinge, I'm on the sofa with a duvet watching trashy tv and doing my knitting My hip and pelvis is objecting to the canal walk I did yesterday. I must brave Aldi later on, the fridge and cupboards are bare I'm hoping Mr H will come along to help. May bribe him with his favourite Mc D's!

Hope all is well

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take care

***Keep plodding***
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 9th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I didn't manage much sofa time yesterday afterall - we went shopping mothercare has a sale on, I managed to pick up some maternity jeans and bras at 85% off!! I'm not sure what I'm more pleases with the fact they were a fiver or that they were a size 18 and fit with space to grow

Have watched Master H's school play this morning, he really is a cheeky chappie

Missy H has decided she needs a new guitar, she has plenty of birthday/christmas cash in the bank and has realised second hand is the way to go to get the one she wants..... she asked last night is 4 hours drive is to far to go having searched on gumtree she did offer petrol money but it was a firm NO! there is one about a hour away which I don't mind taking her too as it's near the DM factory outlet and we both need some new ones! compromise! is she happy? is she hell as like

Garden bill invoice finally settled from august last year I've rang about 6 times chasing it before xmas then gave up.... they had forgotten to apply our discount for the general waste bin for the last 3 years so by the time they've adjusted it we owe them 24p this year..... yes they sent me a invoice for 24p.... first class post too
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 10th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Saturday hobbies done and dusted - master H has assessment week next week so if he passes that will be £10 in badges/certificates and Superman came out of class with the "on sale" memo to say the show tickets will be released to buy..... it is his first show so I was rather at the prices

Mr H "helped" me with the aldi shop yesterday, spent £106 he always adds a good £20-30 to the shopping bill but I'm never really sure how or why we did buy the supersized 16oz steaks to have on motherdays which saves us a fortune on lunch out..... and I did go alittle over board on the fresh food, fruit and berries the fridge and fruit bowl is groaning and we've had some yummy smoothies for snack after hobbies! Even superman helped himself to an apple

BNS and red peppers roasting in the oven for some soup, will add chillie flakes and creme fraise to mine, whilst the oven is on I threw in a banana and sultarna loaf GF/DF for missy H to whinge about eat in pack ups.

meals for the next week or so look like:

steak and hm wedges
    beef stew and dumplings/yorkie puds
    mince meal probably chilli
    Hm KFC fakeaway with corn and curly fries
    jacket potatoes l/o chilli... cheese...coleslaw... beans....tuna (spoilt for choice!)
    chicken burgers with hm coleslaw and wedges
    soup and toasties... have the stuff to make leek and potato, vegetable and the bns/red pepper soup to this week, will freeze and use for lunches too
    sausage and mash
    pasta bake with garlic bread

breakfasts will be pancakes/waffles/sausage sarnies/fruit and yoghurt/smoothies or cereal

I'm meant to be meeting a friend for lunch in the week but changed it so they come here - i'll make us some soup and toasties/pannanis to save on spends.

Missy H was off school a few days with a migraine/sickness so that means petrol looks ok and will need a top up rather than a complete fill..... hungry car! Must allow some money in the budget for the breaks to be done - I think the front ones must be about ready to be changed and would rather they were done before we go on holiday.

Master H has requested we get a takeaway pizza from the shop on site on holiday and superman has declared we can't go to the seaside with out having fish and chips and ice cream really will need to work hard to keep on top of the food budget
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 18th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Sorry I haven't been around much this week - been one of those weeks! Mostly filled with tears and not alot of anything to say really I always feel abit glum this time of year, I think it's the reality of christmas/mothers day when you don't really have an extended family. Not that I would want mine per se but the void I have is there none the less. I guess it doesn't help that I'm coming up to the due date from my MC in the summer and although we have the hitchhiker and are terribly lucky it still feels abit raw. It's like a scab that my mind mentally seems to keep picking away at regardless of how much I try not to.

In other news, Missy H has been recognised as a community warrior and has been picked to attend a special awards night in the coming few weeks. she is one of 3 in her catergory and is rather excited at the prospect of a posh new frock and all the trimmings, not to mention the cash prize to spend on equipment of her choosing! I have been mighty proud off her amongst the tears and sadness this week. She really is growing in to an amazing young woman.

I picked up some bits in the Asda sale for superman and master H - all 50% off or less star wars/minecraft/rock t-shirts for a few £'s each. The branded ones will go as part of the Easter hunt prizes as neither are big chocolate/sweet eaters. Some joggers in the next size up again 50%.... Superman has 3-4pairs of trousers other than his school ones as he is usually in Pj's or Pants He needed a few more for our jollies over easter as the weather is looking far to cold and snowy for his vast shorts collection he has had a upwards growth spurt and has really slimmed down since christmas time - he has a chunky bum and things were appearing a tad snug. I noticed they now have room and could even be described as baggy.

Our meal plan went down a treat the last 8-9days, I went shopping to Aldi this morning with Missy H to fill the fridge and get some add ons to make meals out of what we have left. We tend to eat down the freezer the week before our holidays to help with holiday spends but also to start a fresh when we get home! Spent £67 which included £6 for some hightops for master H and £5 for a few packs of nappies/wipes for the baby cupboard.

Meals this week:

Chicken burger and curly fries/hm wedges
    cottage pie and veggies (mix in the freezer just needs mash adding)
    cajun chicken steaks with hm chips (again freezer)
    Wraps with Sf chicken strips, baby corn and salad
    Jacket Spuds with a choice of fillings Tuna, cheese, hm coleslaw, beans
    Chillie with rice (in thefreezer)
    Sausages - maybe with egg, chips and beans one night then Toad in the hole with mash and veggies another night
    Pasta bake

The usual waffles, pancakes, eggs, cereal for breakfast and pack lunches for the little folk for school.

I don't have any lunches/coffee dates/get togethers pencilled in for this week, I didn't make it most of the ones I had arranged last week one friend however was rather insistant and turned up to pick me up..... she is very good at "knowing" with out me needing to say anything. Alot of my friends do the "Just ask if you need us....." Well I can't! I just can't.

Exchanged £15 of banking rewards to cash which has been sent to the holiday fund. I have £10 in PA to cash out but hoping in the next few days that will also see £15 so sitting on that a while. The £2 pot is sitting at £50ish and there is £114 in the holiday fund before any extra clear in there..... should keep superman in fish and chips and Master H in pizza and ice cream for the time we are away

Council tax bill and water bill have arrived this week with the payment plans, CT is still over 10months and has increased by £5 a month May ring up and spread it over 12 payments but then I have enjoyed the last 2 free months this year will decided when I have a day where I feel I can "Adult"

Hope everyone is well and staying warm in the snow

Mrs H xx
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 51,776 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Mixed bag there Mrs H. Sorry things have been tough for you this week. Big hugs.

Brilliant news re Missy H and the award . You have every right to feel proud. Hope you get to go to the ceremony with her!

Bargains from Mr Aís sound great. My DS2 is having a real spurt too. Trousers that fit on a Monday are like shorts by Friday . Luckily I kept all DS1ís old clothes so all shopping can be done in the loft .

Holiday fund looks good too. Not long now Xx

• mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 18th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    What are you feeding him?! must be a boy thing.......Master Hinge has alot of Superman's bits but as Superman spends so much time in pants or pjs he really doesn't have loads of clothes so we have to do some extra shopping too and tbh superman has really chunked out the last 2-3 years since we switched his school - where as master H is all long arm and legged stick man like! It is lovely to see master H in something of Superman's and remember things from a few years ago

We are looking forward to our jollies as long as the snow stays away I can cope walking on a cold beach in wellies shell hunting and exploring the rock pools but not a chance of doing that in the ice and snow! Our van has heating but how good it will be I'm not sure dressing gowns and fleece onsies are on the to pack list!

I am hoping to find a sitter for master h and superman so that Mr H and I can go with Missy H and 3 of her friends (she gets to pick 5 guests but insists her brothers will ruin her evening and are firmly not invited ) I get it I really do but sitters are few and far between for us.... either way Mr H or I will go.
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry I am not nearer ~~I would have offered my services.

***Keep plodding***
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 19th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Thank you Beanie. How are you?

Mr H took me out for a cuppa and a bacon cob to sainsburys after the school runs this morning - was nice to just "hang out". I managed to find some dungerees/vest and some joggers on there sale for £1 a pair for the hitchhiker, picked up 2 items 3-6mths and 2 items 6-9months as we have plenty smaller sizes now I did pay using nectar points so they were free technically

I'm on the sofa with a cuppa and some trashy daytime tv now, ought to finish off some knitting I have on the go but have lost my mojo plus I scrubbed the oven over the weekend and my fingers are missing a few chunks from the wire scourer I did remember to us the oven liner I bought ages ago to prevent much scrubbing in the future
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am plodding on thanks
    Glad that you had a bit of me time

***Keep plodding***
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 24th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Busy day today preparing for the easter holidays.... The little Hinge's finished school yesterday and we head of on our jollies on Monday

Done the calculations and we have roughly £300 spends... cars full of petrol so this is to feed and entertain us for the week. Superman man has sorted out the change bottle and bagged up the arcade 2ps and other coins in there kept him busy for half hour

Today I've cleaned out the fridge, slung far too much and gave it a good scrub out how on earth it got so manky I do not know . peeled the left over spuds and made egg and chips for lunch and a huge pan of mash for superman, will freeze what he doesn't eat today/tomorrow.... used the left over eggs to bake treats to take away... chocolate brownies, banana and sultarna loaf, chocolate chip muffins, cornflake cakes and fairy cakes. A mix of GF/DF and "normal" so missy H will be happy!

Chopped up and fridged the water melon and pineapple so they stand a chance of getting eaten before we go away and rescued the 4 apples lingering in the fruit bowl and hashed out a gf/df crumble will no doubt be snarfed by the time we go away otherwise it will be frozen. I put half the crumble topping mix in a bag in the freezer .... missy H often likes a peach crumble and can manage to do that herself if i've opened a tin of peaches in the fridge and theres crumble in the freezer

Made me realise I can cut down our food spends if i can be more organised with our baking, and cooking in general I also need to get back to the farm shop for a big sack of dirty tatties, pre-bought mash is £1-2 a go and superman will eat one to himself at least once a day

Mr H is busy washing and ironing so I can pack tomorrow... suitcases are out of the loft and so are the cat carriers. Grumpy cat scowled at their appearance and is sat with his back to me

Master H is grumpy and tearful, superman is in a world of his own and refusing any interaction at any level other than screaming and slamming doors so I am off to play battleships with Master H as he feels lonely

be back later!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a happy time

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 24th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 51,776 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Have a wonderful time away.

Ours donít break up until Thursday Xx

• mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 1st Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    We are home and had a fantastic time! It rained most of our stay but we did have one dry but cold day exploring the beach and just chilling out. We came home with some spends left over too - not much but almost $20! (grrrrr I'm on Superman's computer as my laptop is broke and it doesn't have a pound sign!!) The little Hinge's brought home most of their pocket money too

I'm hoping Mr H can fix my laptop by rehashing some parts from some old broken ones in the loft but that will be on his time/agenda/schedule so could be any time in the not so near future he reminded me Superman's pc works much better then my slow old laptop anyway and means I can keep up to date with surveys etc.... well I could if I knew my log in details I'm rubbish when it comes to remembering things

Budget for March all tied up and we are about $45 in the black for a change April's budget done and although it is very spendy we are actually looking ok with room for a few treats. Scouts, camp, swimming, gymnastics, dance, costume bills, music lessons and football sessions need paying on Tuesday - some are for the full half term and some are just for the month. I know it seems a big out lay at $278 but that covers most of the activities the little Hinge's do in a month, we may have a cinema trip to kids club or trip to soft play but general it's free activities or just parking costs at the nature park, museum etc... Master H has asked if he can join beavers it would be another $15 a month on to the activities so will need to sit down with Mr H and have a think. I think it will do him the world of good and in the grand scheme of things is good value for 2hours a week!

Popped to Mr Asda yesterday for food, spent $76 and other than milk and a trip to the farm for tatties we shouldn't need anything this week. We have had a scrummy roast beef and yorkie pudding dinner (cut the joint in half making it $3.50 each chunk and froze one for another week) Superman has been having lessons in life skills in our bid to help his independence, he made some amazing yorkies and helped peel/chop the veggies

Other meals will include
    beef stew with dumplings
    Chinese pork steaks with savoury rice
    sausage and mash
    YS beef pie with chips and veggies
    Cajun chicken with wedges
    macaroni cheese with ham
    Home made pizza
    probably a freezer dip fish/nuggets/chicken burger.

We have some freebies to collect from the mc D's monopoly game... enough to feed all that eats it (not me or missy H!) with out the need to add much to the mix. Will probably use them on Tuesday after a trip to kids club with the boys. Missy H is getting to big for kids club films and is recharging her batteries after exhausting herself on holiday - she goes away mid week too for 3 nights which will be a fun filled camp with lots of activities.

Surveys have been lacking this week - I've missed 8-9 good pay ones whilst away from the email notifications I've received.... my old iphone 5 is about on it's last legs and not reliable enough to trust it to work long enough to do them..... will add it to the list of things to check this week..... I'm on a sim only month by month contract currently at $9 so that will increase

I rang to cancel contact lenses - next pack already delivered so will be one more payment in April.... I can take the unopened pack back to store for a full refund of $36 will see if I'm out that way at all.

Best go Superman is hovering I think he wants to play minecraft

Hope all are well and are enjoying Easter!

Mrs H xx
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 1st Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,138 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Phone contract upgraded... managed to get a good deal on a iphone SE same data/minutes as I currently get for $24... means with my cancelled contact lenses and the cost of my old plan I am down £2 a month but I can live with that!

now working my way through deleting 9k+ emails before I jump in a warm bubble bath!

Master H is making his own Youtube style videos he really is a cutie!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 1st Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 51,776 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    All sounding good! Glad you had a fab holiday and even brought some spends home .

Go Superman with his Yorkies Xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter