Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    • 1,525Posts
    • 7,135Thanks
    mary hinge
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!"
    • 14th Jun 16, 10:26 PM
    ".......Learning to dance in the rain!!" 14th Jun 16 at 10:26 PM
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It is about learning to dance in the rain!"

The house of Hinge has moved on hugely since I first joined Mse and started "Unhinged!" and I felt we needed a fresh page to mark the place we are at in our journey! Back in those days we were very much under a huge black storm cloud, dodging the rumbles of thunder yet these days we are very much donning our wellies and certainly jumping in lots of puddles if not doing a little dance in the rain

June marks Superman's 8th birthday, His annual meeting at school to review his progress and the beginning of his transition in to year 4!! Master H is also on the transition train and his declared his new school totally "awesome, cool, wicked!!" Missy H is looking forward to her day in the west end and her drama workshops and is on the welcoming team to show the new school recruits around on their visit days!

Debt continues to reduce on our Dmp with SC, It is time for our annual review and I have made the execuetive decision to switch to self management in view of our plans to offer full and finals when Mr H's inheritence arrives. We are currently sitting at £13k owing and aiming to clear the balances with some cheeky reduced offers...... well, like they say If you don't ask you don't get!!

I'm currently in DLA form hell with Missy H's renewal forms Why do they make them so complex?! The whole process is draining!

Health/diet/sanity wise I'm firmly on the wagon!! 34lbs gone this year so far and plenty more to go I have found a love for exercise classes and clubbersize if my favourite Thankfully the dark cloud above me seems to of upped and left and with out any external demands or stresses I'm trundling along nicely!

Now to stick the kettle on and wait for my sofa buddies with the biccies!!

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
Page 10
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 27th Nov 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Congratulations

Have you made any decisions re telling work? Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    I think so, I have decided it's probably best to tell them and agree not to start work. impeccable timing
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 27th Nov 17, 8:38 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 51,096 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Without knowing anything about the type of work it is, would they be able to give you a different role? Are you sure ghei would withdraw the offer? Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 25/60
    Lbs lost 16/107.
    Savings for Florida £220.00/£1000
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 27th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 51,096 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Just googled ďCan an employer withdraw an offer of employment due to pregnancy?Ē and found the following ...

No, withdrawing a job offer because a potential employee is pregnant constitutes pregnancy and maternity discrimination contrary to the Equality Act 2010. This is the case even if the position for which she is applying is for a fixed term and she will not be able to see the term through, or if the position is to cover someone else's maternity leave.

There is no obligation on a job applicant to disclose her pregnancy to a potential employer at the interview, or before accepting the post.

Where the successful candidate has already accepted the job offer, withdrawing it at this stage would amount not only to pregnancy and maternity discrimination, but also to a breach of contract, and could give rise to a claim for automatic unfair dismissal (employees do not require any qualifying period of service to claim unfair dismissal where the reason for dismissal is pregnancy).

Lbs lost 16/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 11th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I'm sorry I have been neglecting you! A mixture of feeling rotten and vomitting 24/7 and trying to prepare for christmas!

The shopping for presents and wrapping is all done! the only christmas prep we have left to do is the food shop later on in the month...... we can now enjoy the many school plays, concerts, carol singing etc... that we have in the diary.

Money looks ok, I have had a busy few weeks cancelling all my car related expenses - insurance, tax, break down cover...... I cancelled my unused gym membership and have decided that although only £13 a month i haven't really used my contact lenses since i signed up to them a few months ago so they have been cancelled too.

Paid £50 of our summer holiday today leaving a balance of £140 - I have until April to pay it off, not sure if we will make it as my due date will be the day we arrive home We will plan for going and re-assess nearer the time!

How is everyone else getting on?
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 28th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Yesterday marks the 6th year of my joining MSE!

We have had a fantastic christmas in the house of Hinge, low key time at home chilling and relaxing! The Little Hinges have kept us entertained and have never failed to bring smiles all round!

Before christmas I have been rather stressed not only dealing with horrendous pregnancy sickness but all been hounded by my creditors after a huge mistake made by SC with my dmp nothing I have done wrong but they sent my creditors someone elses funds which they then had to ask for refunds, I knew nothing about their mistake (they kept it well covered up!!!!) until letters came to my house addressed to SC from multiple creditors accepting or refusing to issue refunds I believe it is half sorted but I have a nasty taste in my mouth left from the broken confidentiality. It may seem daft to be upset that my postman will now know I am with SC but it felt a biggy at the time to me I think I will be looking at going down the self management route abit more in 2018!

I have really let the extra income from surveys/reviews/etc... slip this year so aim to get back in to the swing of things in the new year, scores on the doors look like:

Natwest rewards £15.54 cleared £7.81 pending (saving for march's holiday!)
    onepoll £22.85 - need £40 for cash out
    boots £4.47
    nectar £2.51
    Tesco £4.50 -I have changed to the christmas saver club so will go to once yearly vouchers
    TCB 0.57p clear

Hoping we can save a good chunk of free cash towards christmas

How is everyones christmas festivities? Are you all turkey-d out yet?!

Mrs H xx
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 31st Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    It's New years eve!! The house of Hinge have a games evening planned, cards, monopoly, chess...... and maybe even a film to round up the day!

I've paid out the little Hinge's pocket money today and renegotiated terms to benefit my purse will work out about £5 a week cheaper as they've been costing me £10-12 a week

£5.01 sitting in my survey account from the last day or so, it has cleared so I think I can cash it out with paypal and add to the holiday saving account. Do people cash out everytime it's available or just let it build up for one bigger payout?

Another 2 x £2 going in to my pot for the Holidays fund , I've joined the £2 saving club for 2018 in the hope it stops me raiding the pot for pocket money, milkshake funds for school and such like

I checked my DMP statement that pinged in to my account and the same mistake sc made last month has been repeated it seems I wish I hadn't of looked I know it's not me personally out of pocket but it sure messes with my figures, balances and spread sheets I will make it a priority to sort out self management in the coming weeks.

Food stores look good, I have pulled a chunk of YS beef out of the freezer for dinner tomorrow - I froze some stuffing balls and veggies (braised red cabbage/swede/honey roast parsnips) that were left over from xmas day to have with yorkie puds and roasties. will use the baking cupboard to make a chocolate fudge cake for pudding and a crumble for missy H.

we have Spag bol, sweet and sour chicken, meatballs, chicken breasts and thighs, bacon, sausage and chilli for meal bases with plenty of rice/pasta/noodles/potatoes/frozen veggies to go with them. We are low on bread (Superman has discovered toast as a snack 4 slices at a time ) but have plenty of wraps/pittas in the freezer and I can make some garlic bread/naan bread to go with meals if needed.

Budget for Janurary looks positive - we really need to save up for a 7 seater for the summer will give it some thought and make a plan in case we are still waiting on Mr H's inheritence.... a note in a xmas card gave us some explaination as to the hold up and some hope that a buyer of property is hopefully on the cards.

Heres to a exciting 2018

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 31st Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 51,096 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    All the very best for an amazing 2018 Mrs H. Hope itís geet canny as oot Xx

Lbs lost 16/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 2nd Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    February already!

Sorry I've not really had anything to say so although I've been on the forum I haven't found the words to update here!

The house of Hinge is a mixed bag at the moment!

Superman is sad, really sad and struggling - Winter is not his friend! He needs some sunshine! Meeting booked for school and some new hobbies to try in order to give him a boost!

Hitchhiker Hinge is growing well - making me exhausted and sick but I can live with that!

Master H has had this winter virus for weeks now and is making it his mission to deprive me of as much sleep as possible!

Missy H is doing well, she is surviving winter the best she can and I must say it's a big improvement on previous years! Acedemically she is flying and socailly she is blossoming! She still can't manage to keep her room tidy mind!

Moneywise - Superman's DLA renewal dropped through the letter box last week I dread filling out these forms! I have a few weeks before I need to fill them in and I am setting them to oneside for now! SC are really messing up with my dmp - another person is sending payments under my ID ref instead of their own .... every month since November!! and each time they pay my creditors extra then have to ask for it back doesn't make for hapy creditors and means my account/statements are all muddled and wrong time to go self managed since I'm getting constant letters from my creditiors anyway.

I have moved the £38 from this months council tax over to the holiday fund and will do the same next month, the £2 pot is sitting at £36 too for the ice cream fund! Natwest rewards are sitting at £6.87 with £5.14 pending....Survey wise I'm up to £18.68 in PA, £24.05 in onepoll and I joined bzzzagent this week too!

I picked up some baby bits in the sales - moses basket.....99p a pack nappies..... baby grows etc... not too much but it's a start. I need to start a 7 seater car fund asap keeping my eye out of gumtree etc.. for a pushchair/cot etc..

February I want to regain some hold on the food budget - it's slipped alot recently as mr H has done much of the cooking due to my sickness but we can't carry on as the money is much needed else where!
    Hope all are well

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 3rd Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Up and out early this morning for hobbies.... Paid out £28 for master H's hobby this month, £72 for Superman's drama/dance classes for the month and costume deposit for his upcoming show after Easter..... £3.40 for the bus to dancing instead of the 45minute walk it was chucking down and my dodge hip/pelvis is groaning already Superman has hardly ever been on public transport quickly declared it a "death trap" and "a ticking time bomb" at the top of him voice as part of his meltdown over no seatbelts Thankfully Mr H and Master H picked us up on their way home so I (and everyone on the bus) were spared a repeat preformance

I nipped to Aldi to do some shopping - pack up and fresh bits were low, £44 later and I think we have enough to see us through until tuesday/wednesday. I shall bake some gf/df brownies for missy H and some cookies for the big man/litte men folk for snacks.

I did a deal with the little Hinges - this weeks pocket money could be gracefully accepted or it could be exchanged for a half term treat.... they can choose one activity each and we will pick out of a hat which "treat" they get. Bowling, cinema, soft play are all ideas so far they will cost me more than the £12-15 pocket money but they would be doing something similar over half term at my complete expense anyway Maybe I'm too harsh with my value of money teachings but they do need to learn and they are never too young to start!

My purse has £1.98 in it and thats about it until Monday good job there is nothing else we need. Entertainment tomorrow will have to be homework and fresh air! Master H is getting to be a whizz on his new skateboard!

Must think of a reason to meet my friend at her house or mine next week to avoid the £5ish the local coffee shop will cost. every little helps and all

Mrs Hx
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Dident realise you had a diary.
    Congratulations on your news
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 3rd Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Dident realise you had a diary.
    Congratulations on your news
    Originally posted by beanielou

Welcome Beanie! I've been around these parts for a while now and had a few diaries! And thank you......it all feels abit real now!

Lovely to "see" you!

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have subscribed so will try to keep up!
    Take care

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 3rd Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 51,096 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Bless Superman and his bus assessment . Xx

Lbs lost 16/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 4th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Bless Superman and his bus assessment . Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky

He certainly brightens up the darkest of days!!

I've not long been up and about - been awake since the crack of dawn with Superman but Mr H got up and sorted breakfast/laundry/homework etc... leaving me to "rest" I must say it was very much needed and certainly appreciated, I've been brewing this fluey bug for ages and it doesn't seem to be developing but it's not shifting either it's just "there" sinus, ear, throat not enough to calss myself as unwell but enough to irratate and make miserable

I made pack ups for the little H's tomorrow, currently got eggs boiling (they love to snack on hard boiled eggs - better than junk i guess!) and a pan of leek and tattie soup in the making. Superman took great pleasure in stabbing the life out of some jacket spuds before wrapping in foil and launching them underarm style in to the oven to cook I did make brownies yesterday but need to make cookie dough today when I finish my museli and strawberries that I'm classing as breakfast as the toast mr H made me in bed (medicinal purposes obviously helps with the sickness ) was mostly snarfed by superman

I was hoping for a NSD today as there really isn't any to spend but Mr H mumbled something about been out of bread and pepsi I have a £4.50 tesco voucher he can use and the coins left in my purse.... he doesn't ask for much and to be honest i've drunk most of his pop this week as it helps no end with the morning sickness.

Best get a move on and make up for the lack of action this morning!

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 4th Feb 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    So far:
    • Soup blitzed and in the fridge for lunches - it's Missy H's favourite and I refrain from addind any milk etc... until its re-cooked one portion at a time!
    • eggs cooled and shelled - superman caught me so we are 2 down
    • cookie dough in the fridge and the tin filled with freshly baked ones, triple choc chunk! I must cost these up to see is they really are cheaper than shop bought ones
    • I gave in to master H's pleas for normal brownies as he eyed up missy H's.... again must cost this up to see if shop bought are better value.
    • mr H made himself and missy H a "plain" chilli for lunch, he saved me a few spoonfuls for a chilli/cheese toastie tomorrow He loves me really!

Homework on the go then it will be early baths, Pj's and a snuggle on the sofa to watch some more Harry Potter with Superman and master H! I do love our sofa snuggles
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 4th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 51,096 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope youíve had a wonderful afternoon of sofa snuggling Xx

Lbs lost 16/107.
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 5th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Thanks Lucky its always lovely to snuggle up with Superman and master H! Superman is almost word perfect on the script for most of the HP films so we get a running commentary

The house of Hinge is in need of a good spring clean..... it will have to wait I'm declaring the full blown lurgey and taking to the sofa with my knitting today. I have some beautiful soft pale grey aran from the aldi event that I am making in to the baby bunting sleeping bag, seems to be knit a few rows doze a few minutes

I'm prediciting a NSD as other than the school runs I am going no where!

Mrs H x
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you feel better soon.

***Keep plodding***
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 6th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie!

I've woken up with a really full on heavy cold, complete snot fest and gungey cough but I do feel better than yesterday. I drove Missy H to school and Mr H walked the boys for once it's usually the other way around in a morning but he took one look at me and declared I needed the rest

I've a tidy round the living room, kitchen and hall way, swept/hoovered the floors, emptied the bin and shifted the recycling ( it seems if the other Hinges leave it by the back door it doesn't grew legs and walk to the bin outside afterall ) Mr H sorted the dishwasher/sink full of pots and sent me to sit down crocheting been done on a gaint rainbow granny square blanket for hitch hiker.... it's getting big now and the rounds take forever!! 10 rounds to go

Shuffled some money around - paid some bills, Did some surveys almost at £20 in PA.... far too far to go in onepoll Must go to the shop after swimming/dancing tonight for bread/milk/fruit etc.. seems to be a loaf a day at the moment

Now for some leek and tattie soup with a cheese toastie for lunch with a bit of Grease in the background to sing along to Loved this film as a teenager!
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 51,096 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Your lunch sounds delish!

Iím word perfect for the Fast and Furious films .
    Get well soon Xx

Lbs lost 16/107.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

8,330Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm retweeting this so people can judge my 'non-apology' for themselves. Yet I am gen? https://t.co/ALnjaDtZcm

• I don't shush women. But did wrongly shush a woman, u, not due to gender, but as u patronisingly offered me an unpa? https://t.co/jCYTb7aFYt

• Harassing people who are hospitalised for mental health issues helps no one. Giving breathing space to put finance? https://t.co/L02RzMDoEs

• Follow Martin