Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 652Posts
    • 401Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa
    • 11th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa 11th Jun 16 at 9:59 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Iresa

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Page 101
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    matelodave
    In your position I would pay a bit more just to make sure that the account is in credit. Also take into account your usage in the time it will take for them to start the switch, plus a little extra to cover yourself. I won't even defend Iresa for this as you shouldn't have to keep throwing money at them just so you can switch - but needs must.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    How do you pay them a bit more - AFAIK they only take Direct Debits so you'd have to let them take another one and to make sure that you used less energy so that you'd be in credit.

You'd really have to wonder what OFGEM or the Ombudsman are up to when there's this amount of shambles going on
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 13th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    poppellerant
    How do you pay them a bit more - AFAIK they only take Direct Debits so you'd have to let them take another one and to make sure that you used less energy so that you'd be in credit.

You'd really have to wonder what OFGEM or the Ombudsman are up to when there's this amount of shambles going on
    Originally posted by matelodave
    Well you can ask them to take an additional, one-off direct debit of a set amount. At least that's what I was told by Iresa during my call around a few weeks ago.

I agree with you regarding Ofgem. How bad does an energy company have to be to make them do any work?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus

I agree with you regarding Ofgem. How bad does an energy company have to be to make them do any work?
    I sense that Ofgem may well be struggling. It has come under criticism from Which and Citizens Advice for the lack of any business/financial due diligence before issuing a Supply Licence. It tried to stem the criticism by saying that it would review its procedures but, recently, admitted that no review had actually taken place. They were told that Iresa was struggling over a year ago, and they took a softly- softly approach. If they revoke Iresa's supply licences they will be faced with another bailout which consumers will have to pay for. Further justified criticism of Ofgem will undoubtedly follow. Ofgem has never been an OF Regulator that has had domestic consumers at the forefront of its thinking. This is its latest scheme to increase innovation in the sector, and they wonder why consumers are reluctant to switch:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-appoints-energy-saving-trust-distribute-payments-rule-breaking-energy-companies-charities
    • donerkebab
    • By donerkebab 13th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    donerkebab
    Hmmm apparently I am in credit after the extra they took this month yet they didn't use my gas reading or make up their own estimate. Gonna try another move out whats the worst that can happen.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    brewerdave
    For anyone who has "rolled over" from Flex4 tariffs to Flex5 ,how have IRESA handled the meter readings at the end of the Flex4 period? Have they just estimated and if so, how accurate have the estimates been ??
    • donerkebab
    • By donerkebab 13th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    donerkebab
    For anyone who has "rolled over" from Flex4 tariffs to Flex5 ,how have IRESA handled the meter readings at the end of the Flex4 period? Have they just estimated and if so, how accurate have the estimates been ??
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I rolled over but I don't think it is the new tariff - its just their rubbish IT systems (Excel spreadsheet probably ) I had over 30-40% increases estimates of the whole month usage when I given the reading 2 days before the end of month. Again the trick seems to be take your reading but not submit until end of month.
    • vicki84
    • By vicki84 13th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    vicki84
    Just an update on my problems with Iresa they have admitted they owe me 89.90 due to them using incorrect opening readings. The ombudsman has awarded me 75 compensation.

Iresa took my bills offline about a months ago and no changes have been made to my balance. I accepted the Ombudsman proposal so it is down to Iresa now.

I do want to switch to another supplier but can see it being blocked.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 13th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    darren72
    The Ombudsman have come back to me and Iresa have agreed without defending my case. Received the credit balance back at last, just awaiting the compensation now.
    • rosy10
    • By rosy10 13th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    rosy10
    I managed to switch to another supplier on the 9th. I'm guessing I was fortunate on the timing; the account with Iresa had a credit balance at the point they lifted the block on the switch. Of course the account went straight back into a debit balance once the end of Feb reading was incorporated into their billing computation. So their objection to switching based on value of balance is a load of b******s.
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 14th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 3,021 Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    my nightmare with iresa continues, over a year ago I left them - they clung on to me refusing to let me leave, a dispute was escalated to the ombudsman, i won, but iresa have stillnot managed to issue me a correct final bill (ombudsman ruling sep last yeAr)

my advice would be stay well well clear
    Left is never right but I always am.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 14th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I finally have an email confirming that my refund will reach my bank account in 3-5 working days. We shall see, but this is the closest I have come to a refund so far.

I will say that it has taken many phone calls to achieve this. I am just glad that I have access to unlimited minutes. I take pity on the likely many other Iresa customers who either pay for their calls per minute or have a set allowance of minutes, as these are the people who are going to struggle to contact Iresa.

When the refund hits my account I shall regard the matter as closed. Until then, I will not give up until I have my refund back.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 14th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    darren72
    I finally have an email confirming that my refund will reach my bank account in 3-5 working days. We shall see, but this is the closest I have come to a refund so far.

I will say that it has taken many phone calls to achieve this. I am just glad that I have access to unlimited minutes. I take pity on the likely many other Iresa customers who either have pay for their calls per minute or have a set allowance of minutes, as these are the people who are going to struggle to contact Iresa.

When the refund hits my account I shall regard the matter as closed. Until then, I will not give up until I have my refund back.
    If it is like with us. When we received notification of the refund being approved (on the online account) it arrived the same day via faster payments.

For the benefit of anyone else still trying to phone them you can use a Freephone number 0800 433 7812 (found on www.saynoto0870.com) - at least it won't cost you any money or any of your minutes.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 14th Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    poppellerant
    If it is like with us. When we received notification of the refund being approved (on the online account) it arrived the same day via faster payments.

For the benefit of anyone else still trying to phone them you can use a Freephone number 0800 433 7812 (found on www.saynoto0870.com) - at least it won't cost you any money or any of your minutes.
    Originally posted by darren72
    I just checked my bank and it hasn't arrived yet, but that could be because it's after 3pm now. I like to think I will get the refund sooner than later, but I hold out little hope after my adventure with Iresa - I've had less fun in theme parks!

Good point about that freephone number. I hope that people will find and benefit from it.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 14th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Ofgem forwarding people worried about getting their Iresa credits back to Citizens Advice. https://twitter.com/ofgem/status/973967081115963393
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 6,141 Posts
    • 9,709 Thanks
    Farway
    Ofgem forwarding people worried about getting their Iresa credits back to Citizens Advice. https://twitter.com/ofgem/status/973967081115963393
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Seems ultimate buck passing to me. I've not checked but wouldn't be surprised if CAB tell punters to contact Ofgem
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    Seems ultimate buck passing to me. I've not checked but wouldn't be surprised if CAB tell punters to contact Ofgem
    Originally posted by Farway
    Ofgem has always hidden behind the principle that it does not deal with individual complaints. Citizens Advice has an Extra Help Unit that allegedly has a direct line to Executive teams. The most interesting part of the post was:

We're not able to comment on Iresa just yet, but hope to update consumers in the coming weeks.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 14th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    nickcc
    I expect there will be some that will not want to hear this but my switch from Iresa to One select has so far gone through without a hitch. I started the switch towards the end of January and the switch was complete by the 24th of February. I supplied my start readings to One select on the 24th of February and entered the finish readings to my Iresa on line account. Iresa's on line account shows me to be in credit of just over 80, Iresa have now confirmed that this amount will be refunded into my bank account.

When I first requested the switch I contacted my new supplier and warned them to expect Iresa to block my switch, fortunately this didn't happen.

It would appear that either Iresa have made some effort to resolve their previous poor performance or I have been extremely lucky.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    I expect there will be some that will not want to hear this but my switch from Iresa to One select has so far gone through without a hitch. I started the switch towards the end of January and the switch was complete by the 24th of February. I supplied my start readings to One select on the 24th of February and entered the finish readings to my Iresa on line account. Iresa's on line account shows me to be in credit of just over 80, Iresa have now confirmed that this amount will be refunded into my bank account.

When I first requested the switch I contacted my new supplier and warned them to expect Iresa to block my switch, fortunately this didn't happen.

It would appear that either Iresa have made some effort to resolve their previous poor performance or I have been extremely lucky.
    Originally posted by nickcc
    Your final readings to Iresa should be ignored as the gaining supplier manages the transfer. The meter readings that you provided to your new supplier are verified by the Data Collectors and passed back to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. This link explains the opening reads process:

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 14th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    nickcc
    Your final readings to Iresa should be ignored as the gaining supplier manages the transfer. The meter readings that you provided to your new supplier are verified by the Data Collectors and passed back to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. This link explains the opening reads process:

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Yes I was well aware of the above. The opening reads have been supplied to the new supplier but Iresa requested my readings which I was more than happy to supply if it meant less hassle with the move. Incidentally as my readings given to Iresa and my new supplier were the same surely this would have helped with the validation process.
    Last edited by nickcc; 14-03-2018 at 9:20 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    Yes I was well aware of the above. The opening reads have been supplied to the new supplier but Iresa requested my readings which I was more than happy to supply if it meant less hassle with the move.
    Originally posted by nickcc
    OK - but the losing supplier has to use the verified meter readings to close your account or raise an Agreed Readings Dispute. This protects you from double billing.

Will your readings provided to Iresa help? Not necessarily:

Disputes can only be raised if the difference between the readings is sufficiently high. If the difference is more than 1200 kWh for gas, or 250 kWh for electricity, then the dispute can be raised; if the difference is within these values, the readings are deemed to be accurate, and the dispute cannot be raised. These are the values set by OFGEM, to regulate disputes.

Validation of switch readings is a SLC placed on the gaining supplier.
    Last edited by Hengus; 14-03-2018 at 9:32 PM. Reason: Addtl info
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin