Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 11fernsroad
    • By 11fernsroad 10th Jun 16, 6:43 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 1Thanks
    11fernsroad
    replacing run flat tyres
    • 10th Jun 16, 6:43 PM
    replacing run flat tyres 10th Jun 16 at 6:43 PM
    Hi
    I have BMW 3 Series,it came with run flat tyres,and when it was time to replace tyres,I bought 4 new run flats and it cost me a fortune then.
    It is now time for next MOT and I know the rear tyres needs to be changed.
    Can I go for normal tyres for the rear and keep my run flats in the front?
    I may be selling the car in next 2-3 years anyway.
    I am told normal tyres give much better ride quality.And I do have AA cover in case of a puncture.
    any ideas or advice??
Page 1
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 10th Jun 16, 7:20 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:20 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:20 PM
    Hi
    I have BMW 3 Series,it came with run flat tyres,and when it was time to replace tyres,I bought 4 new run flats and it cost me a fortune then.
    It is now time for next MOT and I know the rear tyres needs to be changed.
    Can I go for normal tyres for the rear and keep my run flats in the front?
    I may be selling the car in next 2-3 years anyway.
    I am told normal tyres give much better ride quality.And I do have AA cover in case of a puncture.
    any ideas or advice??
    Originally posted by 11fernsroad
    If you have tyres or different types I.e. run flat on front and normal on back then that will throw out the TPMS as the tyres will not be at the same pressure.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 10th Jun 16, 7:22 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:22 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:22 PM
    If you have a look on Tyreleader/Mytyres/Oponeo/Camskill, in no particular order you might find runflats are now quite reasonably priced, for known decent makes, not as you'd want to fit unheard of tat to the back of Beemer.

My son has Firestone 17" runflats on his 2007 325i estate and swears by them, superb grip all weathers and wearing well, very well priced.
    • 11fernsroad
    • By 11fernsroad 10th Jun 16, 7:42 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    11fernsroad
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:42 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:42 PM
    i did have a look at those sites.RFT are little pricey and on top of it fitting charges too.
    how much do we need to pay for it to be fitted per tyre?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Jun 16, 7:44 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 4,092 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:44 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 7:44 PM
    If you have tyres or different types I.e. run flat on front and normal on back then that will throw out the TPMS as the tyres will not be at the same pressure.
    Originally posted by rich13348
    No it won't. The tyres wouldn't be at the same pressure front-rear anyway, and the TPMS will react to a pressure drop once it's self calibrated.

Plenty of people do just what the OP has asked about.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 10th Jun 16, 8:09 PM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 10th Jun 16, 8:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 8:09 PM
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Indeed, at my previous company, all the leased BMW's came with regular tyres and not run flats.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Jun 16, 8:11 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 4,092 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 10th Jun 16, 8:11 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 8:11 PM
    Indeed, at my previous company, all the leased BMW's came with regular tyres and not run flats.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    I was referring to a mix of RFT at one end and non-RFT at the other, though, as per the OP.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 10th Jun 16, 8:42 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 10th Jun 16, 8:42 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 8:42 PM
    A mix of run-flats and non run-flats goes against all advice - tyre fitters, tyre manufacturers and car manufacturers too.

Especially non run-flats to the rear.

You can ask/check on any BMW forum - this one is particularly friendly towards newbies:

http://www.bmwlander.co.uk/index.php?forums/

Due to their different characteristics the handling of the car will be quite strange. Runflats have stiffer side-walls - but not as stiff as they used to be.

Most of the E90 series BMWs came original with the horrid Bridgestone Potenzas which gave a hatsh ride compared to conventional tyres.

They were so bad that many folks were put off run-flats for life.

However run-flat technology has moved on hugely in the last few years and there is no longer the considerable price difference that there once was.

Continental for example say their run-flats have side-walls only 3% stiffer than conventional tyres.

I would shop around for a decent price for a pair of runflats.

I've found that the rear tyres on most BMWs wear 3 times more than the fronts.

The TPMS would not be affected if you were to change to non run-flats.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Jun 16, 9:00 PM
    • 14,131 Posts
    • 18,706 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 10th Jun 16, 9:00 PM
    • 10th Jun 16, 9:00 PM
    I read something about insurance companies classing a switch from runflats to standard tyres a modification and fleecing accordingly.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Jun 16, 10:45 AM
    • 11,082 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Doesn't make it a good idea though.

OP, don't mix your tyres, if you want to change to non-RFT then get a full set.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Jun 16, 10:49 AM
    • 11,082 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I read something about insurance companies classing a switch from runflats to standard tyres a modification and fleecing accordingly.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    It is but I've not heard of many that increase premiums accordingly.

I was going to suggest the OP ask his question over on the forums at bmwland.co.uk but that site is sadly down currently but he could try bimmerforums.co.uk or babybmw.net.
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 11th Jun 16, 11:49 AM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    Ditch the run flats, my wife's cars handling was transformed when she switched to decent rubber on her BMW.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 11th Jun 16, 3:07 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    It is but I've not heard of many that increase premiums accordingly.

I was going to suggest the OP ask his question over on the forums at bmwland.co.uk but that site is sadly down currently but he could try bimmerforums.co.uk or babybmw.net.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    The chap (Matt) who almost singlehandedly ran bmwland sadly died last year, and for whatever reason the site closed down permanently in May 2015 with the result that all the many detailed archive posts have been lost and are unavailable now.

It has been replaced as best as possible by the site that I suggested in post #8

http://www.bmwlander.co.uk/index.php?forums/

If you read the thread I've linked below you will understand that there has had to be a slight name change, but it's mostly the same members as before.

http://www.bmwlander.co.uk/index.php?threads/a-little-piece-of-history.5/

Please spread the word to any BMW enthusiasts.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 11th Jun 16, 3:13 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Ditch the run flats, my wife's cars handling was transformed when she switched to decent rubber on her BMW.
    Originally posted by DKLS
    That used to be true - but these days with the latest run-flats, you'd be struggling to tell the difference.

On the lastest generation of BMWs they have also tweaked the handling and finally got the suspension set-up best suited to run-flats.

Modern run-flats are great - no way would I 'ditch' them - I wouldn't like to think of Mrs Iceweasel having to struggle with a heavy, dirty, wet wheel at the side of the road.
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 12th Jun 16, 10:28 AM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    That used to be true - but these days with the latest run-flats, you'd be struggling to tell the difference.

On the lastest generation of BMWs they have also tweaked the handling and finally got the suspension set-up best suited to run-flats.

Modern run-flats are great - no way would I 'ditch' them - I wouldn't like to think of Mrs Iceweasel having to struggle with a heavy, dirty, wet wheel at the side of the road.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Her car was awful on run flats , and universal option on this marque suggests never using run flats, as to my Mrs struggling to change a heavy, dirty, wet wheel she could but thats why she pays for breakdown cover.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 12th Jun 16, 10:29 AM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 4,092 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Doesn't make it a good idea though.

OP, don't mix your tyres, if you want to change to non-RFT then get a full set.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I never said it was, nor implied anything of the sort. I was simply pointing out that it wouldn't ruin the TPMS.
    • shaymarriott
    • By shaymarriott 12th Jun 16, 11:46 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    shaymarriott
    A year ago I needed two new rear tyres for my 1 series Coupe, and the tyre place nearest work (I'd never used them before and desperately needed tyres) recommended leaving RFTs at the front and going regular at the back, which I did, saving 50.

I then drove to Bournemouth, and terrified myself due to the car becoming almost uncontrollable at speeds over 60mph.

I called the tyre shop, who said they could do nothing as is done 150 miles on the tyres. I told them that their advice was negligent, and that I was happy to pay the difference in order to change them to new run flats, which they accepted.

Basically, don't do it! If the car feels too crashy, get the geometry sorted first and check springs and shocks for wear. Check alloys for cracks. If you still need to change the tyres for non RFTs then do them all.

Bear in mind that M-Sport suspension set-up is designed to work with run-flats, and a slightly harsh ride is inevitable on our bumpy (not Germanically smooth) roads.

Also, most BMWs (certainly up until a couple of years ago) don't use tyre pressure for the monitoring system - they use rolling circumference and tyre shape.
    • Nirav.Patel
    • By Nirav.Patel 6th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nirav.Patel
    Changed and will never look back
    Hi everyone,

I've been a bit a 'lurker' over the last few months, looking at all the different forums and researching on whether I should make the switch, so, I thought I should do my bit and share my experience..

I finally bit the bullet a month ago and changed the run flats on my BMW 640d Gran Coupe to Pirelli P-Zero Extra Load tyres. All I can say really is wow! It has completely transformed the driving experience in only positive ways. The car is more comfortable, it handles the horrendous potholes we have on our roads with ease, it no longer sounds like an explosion has gone off when I do hit a pothole, and the car no longer 'jumps' or jitters when taking a corner at pace.

The total cost to change all 4 tyres was just shy of 850 from Black Circles (2x 245/35/20 front and 2x 275/30/20 rear, fitted at home within 3 days by a mobile fitter)I also purchased a space saver spare wheel from eBay for around 300 and all told, still saved money vs. buying 4x new run flats. If any of you are pondering, my advice would be, don't, just get it done, your BMW will feel like a different car in a very positive way. Hope this helped.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 6th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Hi everyone,

I've been a bit a 'lurker' over the last few months, looking at all the different forums and researching on whether I should make the switch, so, I thought I should do my bit and share my experience..

I finally bit the bullet a month ago and changed the run flats on my BMW 640d Gran Coupe to Pirelli P-Zero Extra Load tyres. All I can say really is wow! It has completely transformed the driving experience in only positive ways. The car is more comfortable, it handles the horrendous potholes we have on our roads with ease, it no longer sounds like an explosion has gone off when I do hit a pothole, and the car no longer 'jumps' or jitters when taking a corner at pace.

The total cost to change all 4 tyres was just shy of 850 from Black Circles (2x 245/35/20 front and 2x 275/30/20 rear, fitted at home within 3 days by a mobile fitter)I also purchased a space saver spare wheel from eBay for around 300 and all told, still saved money vs. buying 4x new run flats. If any of you are pondering, my advice would be, don't, just get it done, your BMW will feel like a different car in a very positive way. Hope this helped.
    Originally posted by Nirav.Patel
    You haven't told us which brand of run-flats you had.

I had Bridgestone Potenzas and threw them off early - long before they were worn down as they displayed all the bad characteristics that you describe.

I replaced them with ContiSportContact5 run-flats - a sudden dramatic reduction in noise and a huge improvement in handling.

All runflats are not created equal.

To me it was important to keep the run-flats for when Mrs Iceweasel has the car - no way is she going to be able to change that massive rear wheel.

I do have a spacesaver wheel which I would change immediately the TPMS gave the alert, so that I can have the tyre repared as a normal puncture can.

You have to shop around to find a tyre fitter to do it though as most will give you a load of BS about run-flats not being allowed to be repaired.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 6th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I drove my brother's Mini Cooper S a while ago and noted how horrible the drive was. Felt like i was driving a fork lift truck with solid rubbers on. Horrible!

I didn't know at the time that they were run flat tyres. Had never experienced them before.

He got rid of them & put some Pilot Sport 3s on. Felt much better.

That was obviously without any bias towards anything because as i say, i didn't even know what run flats were when i took it out.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

9,394Users online

Martin's Twitter