Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 7th Jun 16, 5:36 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Discuss the Vodafone Warning guide
    • 7th Jun 16, 5:36 PM
    Discuss the Vodafone Warning guide 7th Jun 16 at 5:36 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Vodafone Warning guide and would love your feedback.

How did you get on with Vodafone? How did you find the information? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help.

MSE Nick
    Last edited by Former MSE Nick; 07-06-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Page 1
    • VickyMaynard
    • By VickyMaynard 8th Jun 16, 10:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    VickyMaynard
    • 8th Jun 16, 10:25 AM
    • 8th Jun 16, 10:25 AM
    Interestingly enough, after reading this, I tried to log in to the Vodafone site to check my bill, but it is now "Sorry, we're making a few tweaks. We'll be back soon.". Let's see what happens next.....
    • Orange_wasps
    • By Orange_wasps 8th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Orange_wasps
    • 8th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 8th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    If you have a smart Phone, download the Vodafone app. It keeps score of your usage against allowance, and tells you what your next bill will be. You can do this at any point through the month, assuming you are on a pay monthly account. Then, if you spot any errors, you can get in touch straight away.
    • emp18
    • By emp18 8th Jun 16, 3:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    emp18
    • 8th Jun 16, 3:55 PM
    Meltdown at Vodafone
    I made the mistake of upgrading one of my family's four Vodafones at the beginning of February, since when my account has been in chaos.

The April 6th 2016 edition of the Daily Mail carried an article by Alisha Rouse entitled "Meltdown at Vodafone" which tells similar stories to my own. I can't provide a link here but you can search "Meltdown at Vodafone" then select the thisismoney.co.uk link.

At one stage my account showed that I had sent more than 70 trillion (yes, trillion) text messages in a three week period. Fortunately, like most people, I have "unlimited free texts" so this didn't affect my bill for the month which was incorrect anyway.

I am no further forward after four months.
    • AmySquash
    • By AmySquash 8th Jun 16, 3:55 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    AmySquash
    When I log onto my vodafone account I can only see the last 6 months bills, if I contact vodafone, are they obliged to provide me with paper copies if I request them?
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 8th Jun 16, 4:01 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    MrChips
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:01 PM
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:01 PM
    My wife has a 500MB data allowance on her tariff. However on at least a couple of occasions she's been charged 6.50 for going over this in spite of Vodafone's own itemised invoice clearly showing she hasn't. After half an hour on their webchat service we got these refunded. However it doesn't inspire confidence in their billing and we had to ask them to send us copies of historic invoices so we could double check how long it's been going on as they only include six months of history on the online account (which is also rather poor in my opinion - should be 12 months at least).
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
    • jtych1
    • By jtych1 8th Jun 16, 4:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jtych1
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:13 PM
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:13 PM
    Thank-you for at last, bringing to everyone's attention the underhand, illegal way Vodafone are behaving with their phone contracts. I have a contract with Vodafone (regrettably) for use by my Son where after only 2 weeks the phone was cut off due to an administration payment error their end, I could not get through to customer services on the phone at all, the only way to communicate was through an on-line thread which was useless.
    2 months ago, I noticed my DD through my internet banking had increased by 7.00 per month, I had to go through the rigmarole of customer services again, to be told that I had agreed by a text!! to increase my monthly contract from 22.00 to 29.00 which I had not in anyway agreed to and neither had my Son who was using the phone. Vodafone agreed as a 'good will' gesture to revert my contract back to the agreed 22.00 p/month after eventually getting through to customer services. I have also reported this particular issue to the financial ombudsmen and raised a complaint on resolver which after 2 months has still not been responded to, in how and why Vodafone were allowed to adjust my contract so easily without my permission.
    • JASTA1966
    • By JASTA1966 8th Jun 16, 4:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JASTA1966
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:25 PM
    Every Customer Service Failing in the book
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:25 PM
    My wife has been with Vodafone for many years and, until last year all was fine. As her contract expired she took out a new contract via CPW back with Vodafone which then required her to port her number back to Vodafone. In short the porting failed several times over a month leading us to cancel the porting altogether and use the new number provided. Some days later, while out, I had a call from a family member to say they could not contact my wife - only to find the porting had now taken place - but sadly she could now only make calls and could not receive them / no texts in or out / no data whatsoever. Her profile had been corrupted. Although we understand this can happen and is not entirely down to Vodafone, over the coming weeks we battled with Vodafone to fix the problem over the phone / online / in store and came across many helpful people who actually all promised much, but did nothing. After researching the problem ourselves we decided to sacrifice a Saturday morning camping out in a Vodafone store until the problem was fixed. After 3 hours of hard slog I got them to agree to cancel the SIM and replace with a new number with which we would continue the contract. This was done immediately and we left happy.....or so we thought. Over the coming months we received bills showing 2 live numbers and charging us for both. Again we spent many months calling / online chat / visiting the store (who advised billing issues must be handled over the phone/online - convenient). Every time we called we were told it was fixed and the bill was actually corrected, but the following month they would get it wrong again - charging for both numbers. At that point we threatened to cancel and contact the ombudsman and eventually we found one person who knew what they were doing and they corrected the problem - there were several markers on the account for the old number on their system, most were changed except for one - and this was the reason it kept popping up. They agreed to remove the old line from our bill six months ago and this happened immediately !!! Must be happy now I hear you say? Sadly not, since this point every bill we have received has now been for zero - it appears although the live account is showing correctly they are not charging us at all. We have called / contacted them many times but have now given up. We sent a final letter by recorded delivery (delivered 10th March and receipt retained) advising that if they did not respond we would continue to enjoy free mobile usage at their expense. Still nothing - and although we put the bill value to one side every month should they suddenly try to take us to court (IF THEY DARE) so we can settle it immediately - we intend to move elsewhere as soon as this contract ends. The stress has been unbearable for what should be such a simple purchase. Really poor performance from such a big company - should be ashamed of themselves.
    • mel48rose
    • By mel48rose 8th Jun 16, 5:19 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    mel48rose
    • 8th Jun 16, 5:19 PM
    • 8th Jun 16, 5:19 PM
    I made the mistake of upgrading one of my family's four Vodafones at the beginning of February, since when my account has been in chaos.

The April 6th 2016 edition of the Daily Mail carried an article by Alisha Rouse entitled "Meltdown at Vodafone" which tells similar stories to my own. I can't provide a link here but you can search "Meltdown at Vodafone" then select the thisismoney.co.uk link.

At one stage my account showed that I had sent more than 70 trillion (yes, trillion) text messages in a three week period. Fortunately, like most people, I have "unlimited free texts" so this didn't affect my bill for the month which was incorrect anyway.

I am no further forward after four months.
    Originally posted by emp18
    We too have the family pack and have been having problems every month!! If we could find a similar pack with another provider we would leave Vodafone, nowt but stress
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
    • Jessamine89
    • By Jessamine89 8th Jun 16, 7:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jessamine89
    Hi everyone - my opinion as a loyal Vodafone customer of approx 10 years is if I could I would change provider immediately, such is how my trust in their ability to provide even acceptable customer service and accurate billing has diminished.

A quick summary...

Upgraded online in January. There were a catalogue of issues even with the administration of this (phone being available to correct, incorrect salutation on my account, turning out to be fine etc etc etc) but I got the phone.

My billing was incorrect immediately:
    - Incorrect tariff
    - Insurance added although I had asked it wasn't (and live chat evidence to prove this)
    - Data packages I had removed previously were there
    - Being charged for Spotify although it was supposedly free for first 6 months
    etc etc etc.

I contacted through Live Chat to resolve, and it became clear that there were no follow ups to this customer service. I wrote a letter, found a thread on MSE forums with a good accessible email address, and sent i in post and online. This was a five page letter of complaint detailing 7 issues.

I was happy with the complaint customer service and the compensation/correction I was awarded.

However, immediately after this my bill was incorrect again! I tried contacting the same person with no success.

Three months on, no one has responded or qualified my second complaint. New letter going in the post tomorrow.
    • J1gg4M4n
    • By J1gg4M4n 8th Jun 16, 10:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    J1gg4M4n
    The sagas of Vodabone.

I signed up Feb 2015 (should I have done my research). I am entitled to 20% discount through work so made the deal even better.

All was going fine until my bill in May 2016. The Vodafone app was showing an extra 6 of charges. I queried with customer service and the advisor was adamant there were no extra charges on my account. I made it clear I am entitled to 20% discount, she insisted all was well.

When I got the email to view my bill, it was 38% higher at 72 when I normall pay 52 for my package after discount.

First contact, the advisor stated my discount had been removed. However, it was confirmed this was not the case. The same advisor confirmed my bill would be sent for re-calculation. What's to re-calculate as Vodabone clearly screwed up my bill. Imagine my face when told if the re-calculation is not done before the direct debit is taken, it will be for the full amount although incorrect.

I had made no chargeable calls and 1 text message to a relative abroad. After 5 days I made contact again to be told nothing had been done since the last contact. This advisor insisted she had added the credit to my account which will show on the bill in June.

I am now waiting for the bill to be ready mid June. If they mess this one up, it's on!

I did not have this problem with Three. I left them as their quality of coverage had dropped at home and work due to technical issues. Three were not perfect but never did I have to worry about being over-charged.

Impatiently waiting for this contract to finish so I can tell Vodabone to jog on.

Steer clear of these cowboys.
    Last edited by J1gg4M4n; 08-06-2016 at 10:58 PM.
    • Mandarobinson16
    • By Mandarobinson16 9th Jun 16, 12:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mandarobinson16
    Hi all. If this isn't a reason (or 20!) to complain, be compensated and released from contract then I don't know what is!!!! I am experiencing the following issue: I have had problems with Vodafone since July 2015. I was Mis sold a wifi dongle which was sent in the post and put in a drawer as I had no idea what it was. Only in September when I called to discuss an upgrade did I realise that I had a '2nd line' on my account that I was being charged for. Ie the mobile wifi. I spoke to the people I discussed the upgrade with who could see I hadn't touched it and reduced the monthly charge to 0. This was absolutely fine until the new year. All of a sudden in Jan 16 I started getting charged 15. Only last week did I find out that my wifi dongle was upgraded to a 15 contract on the 4th December 2015. I questioned why I would do this for something I have never used and they said they didn't know but I did it! It took 3 months of CONSTANT calls to Vodafone to get this 15 a month charge removed. I kept being told by Vodafone workers over the phone that they had my bills in front of them and in October November and December I was charged for the wifi but I had my bills in front of me and they said 0! So I sent them in along with a written complaint and this was completely ignored! I finally spoke to someone in April! Who confirmed that it was due to a system migration and this has caused the problem. So she applied a 40
    Refund to my account. This is evidence that Vodafone accepted they had reduced the line rental to 0. Vodafone had also cancelled my direct debit and I have written confirmation of this from Barclays. They cut off my phone line which caused great distress as I am a single parent of 2 young children and charged me for not paying my bill! This was even though it was Vodafone that cancelled it! I thought that was the end of my woes! I went into a store to add data to my mobile and even the store representative confirmed that the wifi was showing as 0. Next bill comes along. Charged 15. On closer examination, not only had I been charged for this but my 20% line rental discount had been ADDED to my bill rather than applied as a discount! In April I moved house and had no wifi so given the trouble with the wifi dongle I decided to try it. It was all ok until I received a charge of 90 for data. I paid this bill but called them to say that this could not be right. I was told that Vodafone have to inform me that my data is ending or they can't charge me. When she checked, they had not informed me and therefore I was told that all data charges relating to the wifi would be removed. I called again as my request to sort my 20% discount had completely been ignored and I was told that the bill had gone for complete re-issue and once again it was confirmed that there would be no charges for wifi. I stopped using the dongle but by the time I had received the 90 charge there was already another 130 charge waiting to be applied. As soon as this bill was produced, as instructed I called and was told there was no way would charges be removed. The bill I was told was being re-done over 2 weeks ago had fallen into the same black hole. My bill paid in May was 130. This was 70 too much! My complaint was escalated and I received a call from a 'manager'. I was told there was no way they would refund the charges, that it's not up to them to let me know my data is ending and that they would offer a 20% discount off the charges. This day I was kept on hold alone for over an hour. Once again they absolutely insisted that I have never ever had a 0 line rental for the wifi. Once again insisted that I had my bills in front of me and it states 0! None of the other issues were even mentioned! It was like he was targeted to get as much of that 130 bill and &185 bill as possible. I was called back by someone else last Wednesday evening and as they were unable to help I was told it would be escalated to the highest level and I would receive a call back in 24-48 hours. 7 days later I haven't heard a thing and as I haven't paid the 185 bill for this month I am facing being cut off again. I asked the last agent I spoke to if they would send me a deadlock letter and he said the next person would do that but I haven't heard a thing. I cannot afford to pay 185. As if Vodafone haven't caused me enough trauma, if I was to pay that incorrect bill it would put me in financial hardship. Everything on my bills is wrong. Every month this year I have had to ring up and sort problems. I have spent hours and hours and hours on the phone to Vodafone and the mess is bigger now that it already was. My calls don't get returned, my formal written complaint which must have strict response times was completely ignored and I have been over charged well into triple figures now. I can provide all bills proving this along with an email from Barclays proving the cancellation by Vodafone of my direct debit. I can also provide proof of the amount of time spent dealing with this and I can assure you it will make frightening reading.
    • andreb
    • By andreb 9th Jun 16, 7:03 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andreb
    Was great but never again
    I used to like Vodafone and have been a customer of theirs for over 4 years but I am looking to switch to EE.

Reason is that the customer service is useless and they promise that they will act on your request but don't. That seems to be synonymous to what everyone else is going through.

On the 18th April I went into the Vodafone store to change my contract as I could "upgrade" and was on a tariff that didn't work for me. So despite the sales guy selling me the most expensive contract he could without looking at whether I would use 20GB, he was quite unfriendly. I also asked him to cancel my mobile phone insurance and my paper billing. My allowance on my old contract prior to the upgrade had been refreshed, so I assumed that they would recalculate the bill. I called and spoke to a guy who said I was owed money. So I waited and ended up getting charged the full amount.
    I waited for the next bill expecting a pro-rata refund but got charged even more for the data on my old contract. No refund of my minutes, text messages or so on.
    I have tried ringing them up and stated this asking for an investigation. Nothing has happened and if I don't get any joy Inwill be complaining as well.

What used to be a really good network has turned into a really poor service. Really sad and have drafted a letter waiting for the date to finish with them.
    • Paulchamberlain3
    • By Paulchamberlain3 9th Jun 16, 7:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulchamberlain3
    Vodafone Farce
    Suprise surprise, even after receiving an e mail today from Vodafone stating you bill is ready for review, the web site is still down!!
    • Siannie
    • By Siannie 9th Jun 16, 7:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Siannie
    Regretably, I signed a pay monthly contract back in March. I was sold by the great looking deal and the offer of 20% discount through a family members workplace.
    Apparently they cancelled and automatically recreated my order time after time without informing me - so who knows what tarriff etc I was to actually be on.
    Vodafone failed to deliver me my handset when they said they would and couldn't even tell me when I could expect it, so I began the cancellation process, completely within their 14 day cooling off period. I was at first told that they would not cancel my contract as the handset would still be sent and they couldn't stop it. I wrote to them - email and snail mail, still within my 14 days - and the handset was brought to my door by the courier, where the delivery was refused. A "free gift" was sent separately and unfortunatelly not expected so delivery was accepted by a family member. I asked for collection of this to be arranged by Vodafone.
    I expected that to be the end of that. No such luck.
    A bill landed on my doorstep.
    I got in touch with my local Trading Standards office, who were great! Following their advice I wrote again to Rescind the contract, using specific quotations and legislation I had been helped to find.
    Vodafone replied telling me that because I had then received the handset, all was well and my contract could and should continue as normal.
    I wrote again and again following the advice I had been given by Trading Standards at each stage, eventually being told via Online Chat that everything was sorted; account closed, all amounts cleared and arrangements being made for collection from me of the "free gift" that was sent separately, as part of the original deal.
    I felt a sense of relief...until I then had a "Final Notice of Overdue Payment" land on my doorstep. They said I had 14 days to pay more than twice the amount I had ever had bills for. (The letter also arrived more than a week after it was dated) If I failed to pay within 14 days of the date of the letter, they would list my account as bad debt, affecting my credit score and they would instruct a collection company to recover the amount.
    I got straight back in touch...2 hours of Online Chat (with who knows how many agents) later, I was assured that nothing would happen, the courier would collect the "free gift" and all would be resolved.
    The courier never arrived. So that evening I got on the phone. I was told that they would need to check with the warehouse that I had infact returned the handset. I would be called back the following day.
    That didn't happen.
    So I called again. Apparently the call back wasn't the only thing to not happen - there was no record of a check with the warehouse made on my account. So again...I was told they would have to perform this check again the following day. (The warehouse is only open 9-5 apparently) I was assured that nothing would happen - no one would show up at my door and my credit rating would be untouched. As a sign of reassurance, I was given direct contact details for the team member I was speaking to. If I emailed then I would deffinately get the call back from the same person.
    On day 14, the day after being told nothing would happen, I had an email from Experian saying a change had been made to my account. My credit score had been hit.
    I emailed the team member with this information, straight away.
    I did get a call back that evening, I was given a returns reference number and the date of the handset being received back into the warehouse (surprise surprise, it fell in line with everything I had been saying for the last 2 months!)
    Following that I was told that everything else was being sorted - the account was already closed and all amounts would be removed within 3 working days by another team and that my credit file would be rectified, but that could take up to 30 working days.
    It's worth noting that I was quizzed about how I knew that my credit score had been hit. It would seem that they think we are all oblivious to this (I probably would be more so, if it weren't for MSE, to be fair)
    I got everything in writing from her. I made sure I had the emails before I hung up the phone.
    True to her word, I got more emails following our calls, telling me that things were being processed, and then a few days later my credit score returned to normal...there isn't even a trace of Vodafone on my report, that I can see.
    I will thank this single, helpful team member - I'm just not daft enough to do it before I am satisfied that it's all over.
    It's been 2 months of stress, upset and annoyance. But it looks like I'm finally going to be rid of them.
    I wish I'd known about Resolver from the start...that sounds like it would have been very helpful. But I can't praise Trading Standards enough. This one lady I spoke to was knowledgable, unbiased and fair. She had information I didn't know existed and was more than happy to research things or ask others. I really couldn't fault them.
    It's reassuring to know that people are there to help you to get things right.
    I wish the rest of you luck in resolving your issues, I say keep records, copies of conversation transcripts and post with a signed for service so that you have some evidence, I wish I'd been clever enough to record my calls as well, because at one point it looked like I might have needed them...but that's why I insisted on written confirmation of everything - I for one will never use Vodafone again.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Jun 16, 7:11 AM
    • 19,723 Posts
    • 50,076 Thanks
    elsien
    I have a slightly happier experience. When my contract ended I renegotiated a new deal involving various discounts. These did not happen so I phoned customer services. They agreed to a credit which was then put on the account as a debit leaving me owing more. First person I spoke to did nothing. Live chat (I now always use this as you can save it for future reference) then got it resolved with a bit extra for the inconvenience. Took about 3 months but got there in the end.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Jayne2016
    • By Jayne2016 9th Jun 16, 8:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jayne2016
    I have been having on going issues with Vodafone for two years; unable to access account despite numerous re-settings. They have messed up various direct debit instructions and then blamed my bank, who intervened on my behalf. Charging me wrong amounts etc. Resolved this by contacting the directors office- directorsupport@vodafone.com copy to Jerone Hoencamp (CEO). They gave me a PAC code so I could leave before the end of my contract without incurring fees. Now I am with the lovely giff gaff. No doubt there will be an issue with the final bill but I gave cancelled my direct debit and will make them jump through hoops by sending me hard copies of my bills since January to check (given there contestant errors) etc.. See how they like bring messed around for a change!
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 9th Jun 16, 10:38 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    gingercordial
    I gave up on trying to get Vodafone to correctly set up a new DD for my bill at the end of last year and have been paying manually since. I hope they have to incur credit card merchant fees for it. Never managed to get them to remove the late payment fees caused by their own shoddy systems despite so many promises from their staff. They also ignored the formal complaint letter I sent them in December which I find frankly insulting.

Giving this Resolver tool a shot now and have attached all my documents, bills and notes of calls. We shall see...

In the meantime they also managed to charge me a fortune for roaming data in a country covered by their flat rate World Traveller when I was definitely opted in. They couldn't understand why this had happened and kept promising a refund but it still took me three web chats and a phone call to get the refund to actually be applied.

I would not stay with Vodafone beyond the end of my contract if they paid me, and I've been telling anyone I know who is coming up for contract renewal to avoid them like the plague. I only wish I had the power to influence my company to move away from them for our business mobiles. Absolute shower.
    • ShannonLeigh93
    • By ShannonLeigh93 9th Jun 16, 11:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ShannonLeigh93
    I had the exact same issue. It took me over 3 months for them to admit the error and for them to refund me. It makes me wonder how long it has been on my bills.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jun 16, 11:25 AM
    • 35,522 Posts
    • 41,632 Thanks
    Browntoa
    surely they fail ( or is that the investigation that's already been concluded and no action taken ?? )

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/policy/metering-billing/2014

The Direction is a technical standard intended to ensure that communications providers’ systems deliver accurate bills to customers. All communications providers with a turnover of more than 40 million a year for providing landline and mobile voice services are required to comply with the Direction.

Under General Condition 11 all communications providers with a turnover of more than 40 million a year for providing landline and mobile voice services are required to seek and obtain approval of their metering and billing systems from third-party assessors against the prescribed standards set out in the Ofcom Direction
    Last edited by Browntoa; 09-06-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,337Posts Today

6,470Users online

Martin's Twitter