Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,504Posts
    • 15,973Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. 233.10/502 46.43%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - 333.10/ 7864.52 4.23%
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Page 48
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 3rd Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I am pleased you did this. Matching undies are the ultimate in self care. Goodbye to jeggings and hello to stylish undies. A great start to the year parsniphead
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Pity I dont have the body to go in them. A flipping mirror on every wall of the cubicle.
    Unfortunately, the jeggings at still hanging around until I have enough replacement clothes. Bl00dy awful things. Would rather wear a mui mui.

If there's a 'fitter' who knows her job and you have a bit of money (or a fortune! ) to spend, and remember to wash bras by hand and leave off the fabric conditioner which apparently disagrees with the elasticity, then 'good' bras (Freudian slip - I typed 'bars') are a good investment.

Enjoy your coffee and 'me' time, which you have most surely earned.

I did buy the book, btw. It may last me till this evening - the trouble with easy reads is they are gone in a couple of gulps! As you say though, this one does make me think. Thanks for mentioning it
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Yes, I read it in a day.

I dont use fabric softer at all. I'm definately going to start washing them by hand though. I usually chuck them in the machine.

They were pricey for me at 16 each pair, but I'm a tight war. I guess lots of folks spend more. The knickers were three for two though. (should I put a photo of Martin after a comment about knickers).

My afternoon has morphed into one of cleaning. If only I knew where to start. Goodness I wish I could do the domestic goddess thing. I can't even do the cleaning right. But as this year is the year of learning new skills I suppose I will lean.

Off to steam my floor. Joy of joys.....
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,590 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The knickers were three for two though. (should I put a photo of Martin after a comment about knickers).
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Hope the cleaning has gone okay. Necessary evil I suppose - and it IS nice for the first five minutes after it's all done.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Hope the cleaning has gone okay. Necessary evil I suppose - and it IS nice for the first five minutes after it's all done.
    Or until DS comes home. I swear things just fall onto the floor as he walks through.

DIA, thank you for the streamer tips. Squirting out the excess water helped so much. I have also relieved my brother of some of his old socks.

I started on the qrouting between the quay tiles and used the little brush thing along the edges next to the skirting board. Oh my the difference. I still have loads to do but aim to finish all the floor grouting by Friday night. I could do with not going to work today so I can finish it.

I've said it before but dust is my nemesis. I really need to break out the vacuum cleaner more regularly. I did vac before steaming the grouting, but still ended up with little balls all over the place. Once the house is dust free its going to look so better. Of course continuing with the big declutter will help with the clean too.

Anyway, I need to start getting DS ready for school and me for work. Have a great day. P x
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th Jan 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Hello folks.

I'm back after two days where any spare times has been used to steam the bathroom/kitchen/lobby grouting between the quarry tiles. I didn't think I would ever love my steamer but I do now. You would never believe the filth coming from them but I'm also learning to love the floor again. I have had to order new round heads which arrived today which held me up a little but I'm back at it now. I've also been to scrub mums floor.

It's nice so see the changes and see that with some focus noticeable changes can be achieved. I've even been doing Half an house steaming before work each morning. What's wrong with me. actually I may go and do a bit more in a while.

I've also been looking at my health which is slowly getting worse. I'm aiming to improve one thing a week. I have to lose three stone and feel I'm now starting to turn things around and feel like I could actually achieve something with my weight. I'm also going to give up alchohol after this weekend. I hardly drink, just the odd real ale, but I don't particularly miss it if I dont ....and beer has lots of calories.

Business wise I have a few jobs to do but really need to start focusing more to start bringing in a bit more money.

All of this would be helped if I could concentrate more amnd stop drifting off and daydreaming about stuff I shouldn't.

Have a fab weekend everyone x
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jan 18, 11:33 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,590 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    This steaming business sounds addictive! I expect it also burns off a few calories (maybe more than a few).

I would get a whole lot more done if I didn't have a computer... or maybe not because then I'd read books. Daydreaming isn't necessarily a bad thing. If for instance you created a journal of daydreams, could that help you to focus on ways to work towards the ones you want to come true? (I will just point out certain film stars are already taken and lottery winds remain rather random).
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It's great you are enjoying the steamer. Once you start it's hard to stop as the difference is makes is so dramatic isn't it.

You are doing just great
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,373 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You've just prompted me to ask a friend for the return of my steamer.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,268.93, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 247.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    This steaming business sounds addictive! I expect it also burns off a few calories (maybe more than a few).

I would get a whole lot more done if I didn't have a computer... or maybe not because then I'd read books. Daydreaming isn't necessarily a bad thing. If for instance you created a journal of daydreams, could that help you to focus on ways to work towards the ones you want to come true? (I will just point out certain film stars are already taken and lottery winds remain rather random).
    You're so funny. I don't do the lottery and not bothered by film stars. Well actually I've always had a soft spot for Jimmy Stewart. What a steamboat. I would have spent a merry Christmas in Bedford Falls with him.

It's great you are enjoying the steamer. Once you start it's hard to stop as the difference is makes is so dramatic isn't it.

You are doing just great
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Very addictive DIA. I'm off today as D'S was vomiting in the night. Perhaps I will complete it later.

You've just prompted me to ask a friend for the return of my steamer.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Mmm. I have friends like that.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 8th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 16,678 Thanks
    abba1772
    Hope your son is feeling better xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 3572.57 NOW 983.26
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 4412.86
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 9th Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Much better thank you Abba. It's always amazing how far one small child can spread one vomit.

It's been a work day today so not much done. I'm off tomorrow and once DS has been dropped off I'm going to do the fortnightly shop. If it's dry I also have a load of stuff for the tip. Of course the steaming goes on. I'm amazed how much difference it's really beginning to make. I'm not trying to stress out about the house, just trying to plod on with it really.

I would like to have some me sewing time tomorrow but that depends on what else I can get done tonight and in the morning. I desperately need some new clothes if I'm to rid myself of the dreaded jeggings.

Nothing else of interest really apart from my ditzy, head in the clouds rubbish which drives me mad but keeps me sane.

Oh eyeliner. I need new eyeliner. It's the one thing I really won't be without.

Right MORE steaming and more water guzzling. Summer 2018 I will be hot stuff.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Today didn't quite go as planned. I did the shopping first thing after taking DS to school then started the big cleaning/throwing out day. Just as I got going mum asked me to take her to get a new matress so an hour and a half lost along with my mojo when I get back. I thought I could do it next Wednesday instead but I have an eye test. Cue a huge bill.

Tomorrow is work so I will try to do as much before and after.

I have been focussing on my health for the past few days and have been a bit more thoughtful while shopping rather than just throwing in the usual stuff. Cooking is something I really, really struggle with. Actually it's probably the thing I find the most difficult. I'm trying to think about my health a little more holistically. Im an older mum and want to be around as long as possible so I have decided to cut out as much meat as possible and eat as much whole food/whole plant food as possible. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

I currently weight 11st 10lbs so need to lose about three stones to bring me into a healthy weight range. I'm a shorty. I just want to begin to feel healthier so some exercise wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps I will break out the Jillian Micheal DVD. Mind you everytime I have done that in the past I ended up pregnant.

Right a glass of water is calling. Have a good night.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Less meat and more plant based food is the way to go.

If you have either one meal as a veggie soup or one meal as a salad and fruit for snacks you will be doing fine.

Have a good evening
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,590 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Perhaps I will break out the Jillian Micheal DVD. Mind you everytime I have done that in the past I ended up pregnant.
    Jillian Michaels is very effective but I never heard of that result before!

Keep on keeping on: I love your determination, which keeps surfacing however often it gets blocked!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,552 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Less meat could help, although lean chicken and fish is very healthy. Try and fill half of your plate with vegetables and salad, that will lower the calories and raise the vitamin content of your meals. I quite like the packets of stir fry veg you can buy in most supermarkets, I just add one tablespoon of oil and fry in a wok for four minutes. Tasty and quick. Snacking only on fruit will help too.

Exercise is important too, of course, for speeding up your metabolism.

I need to take my own advice as I need to lose a stone .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,625 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I second the half of every plate as vegetables thing. Cheap, fills you up and low in calories. Frozen is cheaper still, and less effort if cooking is not for you.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th Jan 18, 6:40 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

I could never do the vegan thing as Christmas dinner would make me crack and I couldnt give up cheese completely, though I do need to cut down. I shall be taking a bit of salad for lunch today and some fruit. I've become addicted to kiwis lately and got a punnet for 50p from @sda.

I noticed something this morning when I walked into the lobby b my back door that it was clean and dust free looking. All that steaming seems to help and its good to see the dust problem slowly being dealt with. A long way to go but the steps are coming together. Ive got to the point where i dont want to leave the house to go to work. I just want to be here and clean and sort all day. Also another thing I've noticed is my skin is getting better. All that steam must be doing it the world of good.

I'm desperate to get out into the garden too. I have so much to do and so much planned but the weather is always so wet and cold when I have the opportunity, or dark when I get home. I may try and have a short time tonight, even if its sweeping up a little.

Right ho, time for breakfast then getting DS off to school (a place he is adament he is not going to today. I feel a meltdown coming on) Wish me luck.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 11th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 16,678 Thanks
    abba1772
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

I could never do the vegan thing as Christmas dinner would make me crack and I couldnt give up cheese completely, though I do need to cut down. I shall be taking a bit of salad for lunch today and some fruit. I've become addicted to kiwis lately and got a punnet for 50p from @sda.

I noticed something this morning when I walked into the lobby b my back door that it was clean and dust free looking. All that steaming seems to help and its good to see the dust problem slowly being dealt with. A long way to go but the steps are coming together. Ive got to the point where i dont want to leave the house to go to work. I just want to be here and clean and sort all day. Also another thing I've noticed is my skin is getting better. All that steam must be doing it the world of good.

I'm desperate to get out into the garden too. I have so much to do and so much planned but the weather is always so wet and cold when I have the opportunity, or dark when I get home. I may try and have a short time tonight, even if its sweeping up a little.

Right ho, time for breakfast then getting DS off to school (a place he is adament he is not going to today. I feel a meltdown coming on) Wish me luck.
    My garden is a riot....toys abandoned etc it's starting to annoy me but like you said weather is damp and miserable

Hope wee ones meltdown wasn't too bad xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 3572.57 NOW 983.26
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 4412.86
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi parsniphead, just wanted to write about the food/veggie stuff, I've been a veggie for a few years now (barring a couple of slip ups in the early days!) and there are loads of slow cooker recipes for vegetarians that are healthy but also yummy! When I first went veggie I lost weight and had less IBS-symptoms than I'd had in a long time so I definitely think there's a lot of benefit to it.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    1117/1000 EF 538 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I too want a dry few days that coincide with non working days so I can tackle my garden and get it under control before Spring...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,590 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I daren't start on my garden. I have a healthy respect for wildlife, and I expect mine contains everything from woolly mammoths to T Rex. It's been a while...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

8,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin