Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sparrow121
    • By Sparrow121 4th Jun 16, 1:47 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sparrow121
    Are virtual phone numbers used to scam?
    • 4th Jun 16, 1:47 AM
    Are virtual phone numbers used to scam? 4th Jun 16 at 1:47 AM
    Partner recently googled for local tv repairers and called a 'local' area number. Advised there was a 99 call out fee and any repairs would be deducted from the call out fee. Chap turns up to pick up tv only to find he is taking it down to London (we are in midlands). He had come from another job about 20 miles away so hadn't come all the way to us specially. Had presumed local area number meant local business and feel deliberately misled. Felt if we let tv disappear to London would be held over barrel for any 'additional' charges and would potentially not see TV again. Pick up guy admitted his boss 'deliberately' hides his location. Company now advising want call out fee or will send account to debt recovery firm. Do we have any rights on this? Is it legal to deliberately advertise as local business when it is not? Having looked into this since it seems to be coming common to rent virtual numbers that hide the fact the business is not local. Any advice on our rights would be appreciated.
Page 2
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 4th Jun 16, 10:15 PM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    Ian011
    I am under the impression that there have been regulations in place for many years that make it an offence to advertise as if you are based in one location when in reality you are based somewhere else.

I am also reminded of several Rogue Traders or Watchdog episodes in a similar vein. These featured TV repair or 'white goods' repair adverts showing London numbers but with the TV or appliance then taken to the midlands and then either never seen again or returned in a worse state than when it had first been taken away for repair.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 4th Jun 16, 10:49 PM
    • 12,633 Posts
    • 9,946 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I am under the impression that there have been regulations in place for many years that make it an offence to advertise as if you are based in one location when in reality you are based somewhere else.

I am also reminded of several Rogue Traders or Watchdog episodes in a similar vein. These featured TV repair or 'white goods' repair adverts showing London numbers but with the TV or appliance then taken to the midlands and then either never seen again or returned in a worse state than when it had first been taken away for repair.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    I'll take "Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (commonly referred to as the CPRs)" for 500 please bob.

Although its only states that a practice may be unfair if the trader misleads the consumer (whether by action or omission) as to certain info - such as the geographical/commercial origin of goods they are selling and that the misleading action/omission causes (or is likely to cause) the average consumer to take a different action as a result.

Now while it may be an offence, that doesn't automatically give the OP the right to cancel the contract or not to pay the call out - OP would have to go to court and convince a judge of that. Where with the Consumer Contract (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations, it does set down what happens if the trader doesn't comply and what rights the consumer has.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Sparrow121
    • By Sparrow121 5th Jun 16, 7:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sparrow121
    Hi unholyangel
    Iam not questioning anything you have posted but is there not also a morality issue here and possibly exclusions? The two main questions i would have would be around
    - i have never had a private hire taxi inform me of the price unless i ask. (but i would never run out on them)
    - surely a verbal contract, as in this case has to count for something
    Originally posted by ARandomMiser

With regards to the morality of this issue I would also question the morals of a business which seeks to disguise it's true location and mislead it's potential customers. There was approx 24 hours or so from the phone call for a contract to be emailed and I would assume this would be something they would easily have to hand as it's the nature of their business. The guy that came to collect the TV candidly advised he believes his boss deliberately hides his location. If he had emailed before pickup his true location would have come to light and there would have been time to cancel.

If I called a local taxi company I wouldn't expect it to be coming from London for the fare.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 8,671 Posts
    • 8,584 Thanks
    KeithP
    Kristi Allen, did you really sign up to MSE forums especially so you could make that post on a thread that is nearly two years old?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Apr 18, 7:38 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Kristi Allen, did you really sign up to MSE forums especially so you could make that post on a thread that is nearly two years old?
    Originally posted by KeithP
    I think it's
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • bris
    • By bris 16th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 6,783 Thanks
    bris
    There is some exemptions and delivery of information that affects the way I communicate with customers.

Delivery of key information
    The information should be given in writing in a 'durable medium' such as on paper or by email.
    Alternatively, it can be provided in a way appropriate to the means of communication, so verbally if the contract is made by phone. This means when I visit a property to fix a boiler I can just tell them their rights, good luck proving I didn't.

Cancelling services
    If you request a service starts straightaway In this instance you will still have the right to cancel, but you must pay for the value of the service that is provided up to the point you cancel.
    In my case the service starts as soon as I take out a screwdriver and take off the first screw.

Exemptions There are some contracts where you won!!!8217;t have a right to cancel a service. For example, hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concerts and other event tickets, or where the trader is carrying out urgent repairs or maintenance.

So please don't get all carried away with this, durable medium nonsense, it's not relevant for your average window cleaner or repair man.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin