Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 2nd Jun 16, 12:48 PM
    • 7,921Posts
    • 13,405Thanks
    Dreamnine
    The post I didn't want to write: I have lymphoma.
    • 2nd Jun 16, 12:48 PM
    The post I didn't want to write: I have lymphoma. 2nd Jun 16 at 12:48 PM
    From last Monday to 8:00 am this morning when I abruptly quit, I was in the Western General Hospital's urology dept. undergoing tests. I never do well in hospitals and, just like last time, the morphine, tramadol and finally oxycodone pills gave me terrible hallucinations and delusions. I could barely eat or sleep, concentrate or enjoy any part of the experience.

Underwent various tests - the final one of which (this Wednesday, I'm not excluded) should give me an idea of the type of lymphona and appropriate treatment.

I knew I had been out of sorts since just after the new year. Still, despite it being a sunny afternoon I know I'll get 4 hours straight until the pain starts again. Saw my G.P. this morning and am seeing her again tomorrow first thing.

None of this I find particularly surprising, or sad; it's simply part of life.
    Last edited by Dreamnine; 06-06-2016 at 4:27 PM.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
Page 34
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 5th Mar 18, 3:56 AM
    • 7,921 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Perhaps it's gone as part of a general culling; pity, though, as it had been going since June '16.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 5th Mar 18, 8:16 AM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Oh, dreamnine, that is sad.

Hope you get the best palliative care there is.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 5th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 7,949 Posts
    • 32,282 Thanks
    Flick216
    I'm so sorry Dreamnine - how insensitive to remove your thread - I am sure it gave you a boost.

Much love to you - as Pollypenny says - I sincerely hope you get the best palliative care you can. xxxxx
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 5th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 10,660 Posts
    • 23,772 Thanks
    Tarry
    Hope you get your thread back x
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 24,245 Posts
    • 95,789 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    That's rubbish.

Good luck and, as a final bit of information, if you've had bad news about it, you would be perfectly within your rights to claim PIP in any case/ESA if you aren't working on those grounds. You may not need it now, but it might come in handy in the future in some way.

Enjoy the Spring once all the rain and snow has gone - the flowers will be peeping their heads up through the soil and before you know it, the trees will be in blossom.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 5th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I reckon it was partly to do with me calling you out - and I genuinely apologise for that; it was pretty pathetic of me in the grand scheme of things. Believe me, it doesn't feel good knowing I kicked a guy when they were already down.

I hope this one lasts and that you get the support and help you need for the times ahead.
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 12,302 Posts
    • 16,567 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I hope you can get your thread back too, Dreamnine - there seem to be some very strange decisions being made at MSE Towers in the last few years...
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 6th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 7,921 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    From today on another forum:

I forgot just how much chemo is a process and you can't take the drugs until they are ready and you are ready for them.

The first batch took 4 to 5 hours - an extra hour was added as my blood pressure was way low so they introduced them more slowly. There was no real discomfort or pain - slight dizziness which is normal.

The other drugs were more like an hour each and they didn't physically hurt me, either; it's just sitting in that chair - a phone soon becomes boring.

Then there is my dosette box for the next 7 days - tonights dose is 13 tablets, it reduces from there on until it's just a single tablet a week from now.

Then there are the extra appointments - ones I must make with the nurses at my G.P. to get my weekly bloods and one with Dr Broom on the 23rd.

I wouldn't wish chemo on anyone - they do it very efficiently given all the science and tech they have - my next appointment should be half the time: 1pm sounds a lot better than 6:30, I can't believe I was sat there for 9 and a half hours. Still, that wasn't really their fault, nothing could be done about it.

And the staff were the same as the last time I had chemo; it was interesting catching up on their lives, too.

Will it save my life? It did last time for 18 months but the cancer came back in a deadlier form, can't say that is because of the chemo. Everyone medical remarks to me that around the spinal chord is an extremely rare place for a lymphoma to occur - rare as in it could well be written up for a paper.

I just had trouble raising my arms, couldn't put my jumper on, thought it was because I'd fallen on the ice. But the doctor described Carpal Tunnel's Syndrome - turned out that wasn't strictly accurate either. A tumour was pressing against the nerves in my neck causing the symptoms. I was fortunate in that an MRI showed this.

Deep down, though, I knew something was off last autumn: no physical signs but I just didn't feel right and Christmas was miserable - this was the cancer working on my mind, I believe.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 6th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 26,532 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Chemotherapy is horrible but hopefuully it will make a real difference to you.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 6th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 7,921 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Two good things: I haven't had time for alcohol; it would just counteract all the drugs I'm on and I haven't been tempted once in the past 5 weeks. And I haven't had time for panic attacks, either, I'm so busy that even my down time is spent listening to a half-hours meditation ie. things that work for me.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 6th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 113,795 Posts
    • 233,118 Thanks
    Quasar
    Oh my goodness, I've just found this thread. So sorry Dreamnine. I hope things get better for you - because there IS always hope. Well done about staying off the alcohol, and DO the things that you feel work for you. A calm and relaxed mind is of overriding importance in helping the body respond to medical treatment, no matter how serious the illness, and I speak as a former cancer patient.

I'll be thinking about you. xxx
    After all, cellulite is just a packet of crisps that made it.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 9,135 Posts
    • 14,073 Thanks
    worried jim
    It seems the thread is back.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 7th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 7,921 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Well, that is good news: this thread has certainly helped me through my now 2 cancer journeys.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 7th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 8,581 Posts
    • 14,072 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Well, that is good news: this thread has certainly helped me through my now 2 cancer journeys.
    Originally posted by Dreamnine
    Glad your thread is back Dreamy, and best wishes with your ongoing treatment.
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • colinw
    • By colinw 7th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 51,700 Posts
    • 143,200 Thanks
    colinw
    I reckon it was partly to do with me calling you out - and I genuinely apologise for that; it was pretty pathetic of me in the grand scheme of things. Believe me, it doesn't feel good knowing I kicked a guy when they were already down.

I hope this one lasts and that you get the support and help you need for the times ahead.
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    I would not beat yourself up OMT, I suspect it had nothing to do with that, probably just went by accident as part of the SPAM bashing
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 7th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    avogadro
    Glad you got your thread back, Dreamnine. All the best with your treatment, you have been very unlucky.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 7th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 26,532 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Glad the thread is back. The sun is shining here, hope it's shining with you too.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 7th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 15,770 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Yay, you're back, mean this in the nicest possible way, wish you weren't though. If you weren't, it would mean that Dreamy life is on the right track.

As you are, hope the remote support you get here, will give you the strength to deal with everything happening, if nothing else, from a distraction point. Did you ever get to eat the avacado?
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 7th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 10,660 Posts
    • 23,772 Thanks
    Tarry
    Glad you got your own thread back.
    Take care of yourself.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 8th Mar 18, 6:09 AM
    • 7,921 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Glad you got your thread back, Dreamnine. All the best with your treatment, you have been very unlucky.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    I suppose I have - getting 2 different cancers in a row, the 2nd being worse than the first.

Yesterday (day after chemo) I managed a mile's walk to the supermarket but I felt pretty rough all day, as though I might be sick but wasn't. The Clinical Head Nurse did say I would have good weeks as well as bad weeks under this chemo regime, though, and I have had a really busy month with the illness so I shouldn't be surprised.

I do enjoy those days when I have nothing to do though, I usually end up watching documentaries on You Tube.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,399Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin