Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give my employer the compensation for my delay?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

While away working recently I was delayed for more than an hour on the train, for which the compensation was a whopping £50. I feel that because it was me that suffered and was late home that evening I should keep the cash, but as my company paid for the ticket should I give it to them?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    I would keep it
    With love, POSR <3
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nobody cares. These are getting more and more stupid every time.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Nick wrote: »
    While away working recently I was delayed for more than an hour on the train, for which the compensation was a whopping £50.

I feel that because it was me that suffered and was late home that evening I should keep the cash, but as my company paid for the ticket should I give it to them?

The compensation was given to you because you were delayed.

The company didn't lose out - the ticket cost the same whether your train was on time or was late.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You keep the cash. You were delayed leading to a loss of income to yourself. You may not have actually lost any income as you worked an extra hour at the end of the day but it's made you are the one to have lost more than an hour of your time.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    The compensation was given to you because you were delayed.

The company didn't lose out - the ticket cost the same whether your train was on time or was late.
    Depends if the OP was paid for their delayed time or gets it back in lieu

If so its the employer money back IMO.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done the Delay Repay thing many times for work travel and I never considered giving it to the companies I worked for, I just consider it a small bonus for being inconvenienced..

A bit like the small bonus I get from Quidco/Nectar Points if I buy stuff for work as long as I stick to the expenses guidelines they don't give a monkeys.
  • darrens_here
    darrens_here Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i was away aborad for work once, got to the airport for return flight only to be told it was full, or at least they were looking for people to fly out day later. They paid for hotel, (and dinner!) and a voucher for extra flight for free......... it was at end of week, so ran into my saturday back home, but i took it, the free flight and the steak dinner. You are away on business, your delay wasnt paid for by your company (I assume) so take the money as a little bonus !

ps - I told my boss, after the event, he didnt care, said fine....
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Payment is for delay, not to compensate for loss of earnings or anything else. Everybody would get it. The OP was the one delayed, not the company, so it's their compensation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's company money.

I made a mistake of recent at work and offered to pay as it was a cost to my employer, when I found myself debating - outcome was a surprise but least I have complete piece of mind.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's company money.

I made a mistake of recent at work and offered to pay as it was a cost to my employer, when I found myself debating - outcome was a surprise but least I have complete piece of mind.

I don't agree in this case.

It is the person who has been delayed. The company paid for the journey which still happened. A student (for example) not earning anything could still claim compensation for the delay.

If they were late for work as a result, but still got paid in full and were not expected to make up the time, then there is an argument that it should go to the employer.

However, in this case the company has not lost anything but the OP has lost some of his free time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure