Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • want2bmortgage3
    • By want2bmortgage3 27th May 16, 11:17 AM
    • 1,961Posts
    • 418Thanks
    want2bmortgage3
    Eligibility for social housing ?
    • 27th May 16, 11:17 AM
    Eligibility for social housing ? 27th May 16 at 11:17 AM
    If I am single and 34 and live at parents do I have a chance for a one bedroom social house?

I work full time in a service job and parents would like the space.

I have owned a property before with a mortgage but recently sold it.

I have some money in the bank from the sale, but I wondered if I can apply for social housing at a fair rent instead of privately.

On my local council list there is a number of one beds available.
Page 2
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 27th May 16, 1:09 PM
    • 7,289 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Apples and oranges.
    Social housing is subsidised. the rent paid does not cover the cost of providing and maintaining the property.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    The majority of housing associations make a profit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/news/11038145/Housing-associations-bedazzled-by-lure-of-profits-report.html

"The study by the think-tank !!!8220;Million Homes, Million Lives!!!8221; calculates that housing association profits have grown tenfold in the last five years to stand at 1.93 billion."

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2012/jan/27/government-subsidised-social-housing-rent
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 27-05-2016 at 1:20 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 27th May 16, 1:20 PM
    • 9,665 Posts
    • 12,999 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    It depends on the area:

For example Slough you have to have lived in the borough for 5 years & if currently adequately housed may not even go on the list - you live with parents so you are out...

Whereas Wokingham anyone can go on the list.

What does the housing allocation policy of your local council say about someone in your circumstances?? e.g.
    http://www.slough.gov.uk/housing/housing-register.aspx
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 27-05-2016 at 1:23 PM.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 27th May 16, 1:57 PM
    • 15,098 Posts
    • 14,796 Thanks
    Guest101
    Nobody pays "the remainder". There is no extra to pay. Private rents are higher because private landlords aim to make a profit.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Ask them...
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

I don't need to ask them, accounts are publically available, and I've checked.

We aren't going to agree on this, and both of us coming up with examples to highlight how we are correct will not lead to any actual solution.

In some cases the rent does not cover the cost of providing housing, in other it will.

The point really is social housing is allocated on need and the OP does not seem to need it.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 27th May 16, 2:21 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    In order to secure social housing you have to demonstrate you meet the criteria. This is:

Eligibility: This relates to whether you are a British citizen or not and you will usually need to demonstrate links to the area in which you are applying. This might be family living in the area, you have a job or college place etc.

Need: This will look at several factors. Are you in priority need? Are you homeless or in danger of being homeless? Do you have dependents? Do you have a medical condition? Are you suffering from overcrowding?

If you are accepted by the housing authority as being eligible for and in need of housing, you are then placed on its waiting list. You will be given a banding with A being the highest priority through to E which is effectively 'hell will freeze over or all the social housing stock will have been sold before you get allocated a home'.

Most LA's operate a choice based lettings system (CBL). Once a week all the properties that are available are listed and you get to bid on properties where you would like to live. Most LA's will only allow you one or two bids per week. To give you an idea of how the stock is becoming, my London borough has only nine properties available for bidding. Three of those are Housing Associations so the rent will be higher than social housing.

As a single person, with no dependents and no medical need I would suggest you've got very little chance at all of a social housing home. You might, depending on where you live, get a property after a long wait, but I can guarantee it'll be pretty low rent.

If I were you, with no ties and cash on the hip, I'd be looking to spread my wings and assert my independence by looking to rent privately. You'll get a much nicer home much quicker.
    Last edited by Lioness Twinkletoes; 27-05-2016 at 2:25 PM.
    • Newbiebuyer2016
    • By Newbiebuyer2016 27th May 16, 3:36 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Newbiebuyer2016
    If you have money from the sale of the house then buy one or look up shared ownership.
    • marksoton
    • By marksoton 27th May 16, 4:00 PM
    • 16,507 Posts
    • 36,523 Thanks
    marksoton
    If I am single and 34 and live at parents do I have a chance for a one bedroom social house?

I work full time in a service job and parents would like the space.

I have owned a property before with a mortgage but recently sold it.

I have some money in the bank from the sale, but I wondered if I can apply for social housing at a fair rent instead of privately.

On my local council list there is a number of one beds available.
    Originally posted by want2bmortgage3
    I'll say it. I bloody hope not.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 27th May 16, 6:03 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    No. Why should you get cheap accommodation when you can pay the market rate? 1 bed properties can be offered to people with a small child.
    • sniggings
    • By sniggings 27th May 16, 7:35 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    sniggings
    depends on the area you live in.

Some HA give extra points if you are working, over a certain age, no drugs etc etc social housing is not all for single mothers and people on the dole.

As has been said in this thread, a lot of HA charge a lot for their rents, in many cases you can rent privately for cheaper.

• GobbledyGook
    • By GobbledyGook 28th May 16, 12:42 AM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 8,782 Thanks
    GobbledyGook
    No-one can say because no-one knows where you live.

Where I live you'd have no chance. Where my BIL lives you'd have a good chance as they have a selection of flats available for immediate let, but there is a reason they are empty whilst people are sat on waiting lists for something else.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 28th May 16, 1:17 AM
    • 6,012 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    LeeUK
    All depends on the area. My area it's a points system and you "bid" on available properties. If no one with higher points bids on a property you have bid on then you are in with a chance of getting it. There are always properties coming available, and not just on sink estates. Although they have done well to eradicate those round here in recent years anyway.

Money/living circumstances makes no difference, a guy at work recently sold his house and got a social housing flat.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 28th May 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    datlex
    Up here in the North East it is relatively easy to get a housing association house/flat. Local agency has just built some new flats which they are advertising. Anyone can apply to be on the register, I personally think it is a good idea to do so as you never know when you circumstances may change. Social housing has bands. Up here band 2 is likely to get you housed. However in the South East you may even struggle to get housed on band 1.

Of course a lot of people are anti social housing and think you should fund a landlord's retirement plan...... With social housing you can usually have the home for as long as you like so long as you pay rent and don't act in an unsociable manner. It gives you security and stability. You can make the place your own. You can also be sure they will meet their legal obligations regarding the property. Furthermore any repairs will be completed by their trained professionals. With private rent you are at risk of the landlord's whims regarding the property. Obviously there are many decent landlords but changes in their own circumstances can lead to them needing to sell the property to release money in it for example.
    • Fennite
    • By Fennite 11th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Fennite
    Bit of an old thread to piggyback on but I was in a similar situation. I've been living with my mum for 2 years. I applied, and was put in Band C (bands are A to D, A being the most in need). I thought I'd have no chance, but signed up anyway, and a year later was offered a one bed ground floor flat in a neighboring village near Cambridge. I was really surprised to get it, but it must have been my lucky day. Rent is about 30% cheaper than local market rent, with no deposit needed. One could argue that I can afford market rents, but why should people be paying over 50% of their wages on accommodation costs, I see the market as unfair.

Yes as pointed out it came totally unfurnished, no carpets, no white goods, but I was donated rugs by family. The kitchen and bathroom floors came with lino. I found a fridge freezer for 20 and a cooker for 60 on local buy and sell sites. There is no need to go out and spend 1500 on new white goods unless you are anal about other people's germs and second hand goods.

I'd rather the hassle of going out to source these things than paying two months rent for damage deposit up front on a private rental which would have taken me a further year to save up for.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 11th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Well done you for blagging a Council flat that you didn't need - you must be so proud of your 'achievement'
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Well done you for blagging a Council flat that you didn't need - you must be so proud of your 'achievement'
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Supply and demand again. Surely it is better that a property is let and looked after by a responsible tenant than left empty awaiting a "worthier" person, who might well be the stereotypical pregnant, druggie chav?

Well done, Fennite. I lived in HA, then council one bed flats for years, working full time all the time. Eventually, I met OH; a couple of years later our circumstances changed and we were able to buy. We paid full rent on time all the time and never caused anyone any problems. Admittedly, this was in the 80s and 90s when things were somewhat different and not all HA/LA tenants were the stereotype; many worked.

I am still grateful for the opportunity we had. Paying lower rent = saving for a deposit faster (or at all) does it not?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 11th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Go and rent privately.

Social housing around here isn't even cheap.

Private rental properties come with much more and effectively are cheaper. The only benefit I see is that they tenancy is secure as long as you pay the rent.

Private rental properties usually come with carpet, a cooker, maybe a fridge, freezer and washing machine. You wouldn't get anything with a housing association property. You just get the walls which require painting or wallpapering at your own expense, the concrete floor and the roof and that's about it. If you need a new kitchen or bathroom you buy one yourself. In a private rental you move and if the LL wants to let out the property again the kitchen or bathroom will be replaced by the LL.
    Originally posted by HappyMJ
    Surely this depends on the HA? We moved into a beautiful HA property 4 weeks ago in a very desirable area. It had been totally redecorated with brand new carpets in every room. It is a HA for over 55s, does that make a difference?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th Apr 18, 4:22 PM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 9,196 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    I think this is a little unfair. Fennite applied and was offered a tenancy, she didn't queue jump, didn't make a fuss, didn't deprive anyone of a property, just waited patiently.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Why does everyone assume that it is only people with families who need social housing because they are low paid. Shouldn't single people who don't earn much also get more permanent housing?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

885Posts Today

7,454Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin