Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • luaive
    • By luaive 19th May 16, 11:38 AM
    • 161Posts
    • 228Thanks
    luaive
    Insurance debt
    • 19th May 16, 11:38 AM
    Insurance debt 19th May 16 at 11:38 AM
    Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so please do move it if im wrong......So my husband has had a bill thru the post (an issue regarding an accident with a car our dog and no insurance) the insurance company for the driver says their bill is 2500 and the drivers excess is 600 quid which they want paying in 14 days. I have said I have a credit card with 0% balance transfer to my bank and we could pay it that way. But all he has said is dont get stressed about it, and has done nothing so far Its already been a week, the letter is in his name (I dont mind paying my half) its just he's very good at ignoring things, unless at the end hes getting some money! Seeing as this is the complete opposite im worried hes just going to ignore it and its going to end up with us being taken to court and owing even more money I go to sleep stressing about it and wake up worrying about it, im even stressing now And I cant talk to him about it, because he will just throw a fit that he has enough on atm and will probably just go to the pub I dont want to go to court as I hope to get a mortgage one day I dont know what to do
Page 2
    • luaive
    • By luaive 12th Apr 18, 10:38 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    luaive
    She was chained outside and her collar broke, I wasn't there at the time and so am going on what I was told. Husband has got a solictitor who is charging 200 an hour :O what worries me is that the contract says his bill is possibly going to be 500 for the advice given, what that he charges 200 an hour? My husband thinks that's going to be the total bill from him but I think its going to go a lot higher :/ I just don't see how a court is going to find a person driving a car on the road (even thou with their stopping distance they were speeding) to be the one in the wrong. I just wanted to pay the bill and have it done, this is probably going to end up costing us twice (if not more)as much
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    John-K
    Why does your husband not want to pay? Your dog got out, it ran into the road, and has damaged someone!!!8217;s car. They or their insurance company is a low to try to recover it through the courts. They may or may not win, but if it gets to court at all 200 an hour builds up very quickly.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 13th Apr 18, 6:18 AM
    • 3,108 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    huckster
    Advice was given about this back in 2016 and nothing has changed.

There is no proven liability against either yourself or your husband regarding your dog getting onto a road.

You do not have to reply to the letter. You must not admit any liability.

If the third party or their Insurers wants to have liability decided let them take this to court. I doubt this will happen, unless they have witnesses saying that you negligently allowed your dog onto the road.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • luaive
    • By luaive 13th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    luaive
    John-K if I could read my husbands mind, then it would make my life a lot easier, perhaps its a suborn male thing? Huckster, did you ignore the most recent posts? It IS going to court!! We have already had the court paperwork, hence my worry about it costing even more!! I just don't see how it could work in our favour :/ Its a shame my husband didn't record the guy when it happened as apparently he was saying it was his fault!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter