Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 13th May 16, 3:21 PM
    • 124Posts
    • 40Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 13th May 16, 3:21 PM
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback 13th May 16 at 3:21 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Octopus Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-09-2017 at 1:53 PM.
Page 13
    • Dave Lowe
    • By Dave Lowe 20th Dec 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dave Lowe
    They always take first payment early but it soon sorts itself out. I have been with them for twelve months and service has been excellent. All questions answered promptly. Unfortunately the new fixed twelve month tarriff quoted was aproximately 40% more than the old one, so have reluctantly changed supplier.
    • MarthaM
    • By MarthaM 22nd Dec 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarthaM
    Good service
    Most people, me included, comment about companies when they are unhappy but I thought Octopus deserved credit for their service.
    I switched to Octopus about 18 months ago. In the past I've switched almost yearly but this time I'm sticking with them.
    Communication and customer service have been the best of any energy company I've ever had, and the website is very smooth and user friendly, even my 84 year old mum can submit her readings online.
    I'm now on a variable rate but switching again would save me very little.
    • whyigetmorelikes
    • By whyigetmorelikes 11th Jan 19, 1:37 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    whyigetmorelikes
    Just switched to them I'll keep you updated how I get on. So far so good!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 1st Feb 19, 1:18 PM
    • 5,524 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Finally, after over 4 months, I've received a final bill from Octopus after the SOLR transfer from the defunct Iresa. It's actually slightly out because both Iresa and Octopus have charged me standing charge for 1st August - however since that appears to be Iresa rather than Octopus at fault ,I've settled up.

The only thing that I'll have to check ,is that Octopus don't try to set up a DD to take the balance which I've settled by debit card.
    Only First Utility final bill now outstanding!!
    Last edited by brewerdave; 02-02-2019 at 8:25 AM.
    • pcoventry
    • By pcoventry 6th Feb 19, 11:20 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pcoventry
    Well to be fair - they have a weird billing system. I totally ignore the smart meter now - as I do most usage overnight my average is so low my bills are literally half what it says anyway

I'm almost waiting for them to catch up and get what they are owed - literally 1 of a kind this lot to do an average
    • Archie Jnr
    • By Archie Jnr 20th Feb 19, 9:30 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Archie Jnr
    I can't say a bad word about Octopus. I've been with them two years now and about to start another fixed tariff. For my region & usage they're close to the cheapest on the market and chosen because of their customer service. Original switch was smooth, I've emailed them on occasion to change my direct debit amount and I've asked for a credit refund and they've replied saying it was done within an hour. I've also changed tariffs this way (when cashback wasn't available). Submitting readings via their mobile site is easy and I have a bit more confidence in them than others when it comes to getting a SMETS2 meter after March.
    • john_wildman
    • By john_wildman 25th Feb 19, 3:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    john_wildman
    Octopus v good two months in.
    Trouble free switch from Tonik whose one year fix has gone up a lot. Octopus are one of those warm and fuzzy companies that gets up my nose but a lot of people will probably appreciate the regular informative emails. App and website easy to use as I prefer to submit meter readings and won't have a smart meter.
    • Msbanana
    • By Msbanana 1st Mar 19, 8:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Msbanana
    Not happy..... costing me a fortune!
    Apparently, I am the only one as I have scanned this thread but not seen anyone else particularly unhappy... but they are costing me a fortune! I was paying Iresa £39 per month and that was always sufficient! They never asked me for more than the monthly DD. Octopus is a different story though, they left me alone for months, then finally asked me for a read and then sent me an enormous bill within seconds! Their charges are working out to around £56 per month which is a pretty big leap! Obviously, I know Iresa went bust.... the irony. However, there must be cheaper options out there. Not impressed with Octopus.
    • Jaykay369
    • By Jaykay369 7th Mar 19, 10:10 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jaykay369
    Apparently, I am the only one as I have scanned this thread but not seen anyone else particularly unhappy... but they are costing me a fortune! I was paying Iresa £39 per month and that was always sufficient! They never asked me for more than the monthly DD. Octopus is a different story though, they left me alone for months, then finally asked me for a read and then sent me an enormous bill within seconds! Their charges are working out to around £56 per month which is a pretty big leap! Obviously, I know Iresa went bust.... the irony. However, there must be cheaper options out there. Not impressed with Octopus.
    Originally posted by Msbanana
    The issue there is that you didn't provide a meter reading to them for ages so they were having to estimate your usage, which would have been based on the information you gave them when you switched. They couldn't change your direct debit amount, or even verify it was sufficient, because you hadn't given them a meter reading for so long. Then when you did they realised you were using more than you said you did when you switched, so they increased your direct debit. Any energy company would have done the same. The key to having accurate bills, and direct debits, is to regularly give meter readings so your energy supplier knows how much you are using, otherwise you are at the mercy of their usage models, which are based on customer profiling and hence will be different from your individual situation.

Also it's really important to bare in mind that energy prices have increased a lot over the past few years (mainly driven by increases in wholesale costs). So your bills probably would have gone up no matter who you switched to.
    • Jaykay369
    • By Jaykay369 7th Mar 19, 10:14 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jaykay369
    I have recently switched back to Octopus Energy largely because of their great customer service and easy to use website (for submitting meter readings and seeing bills). They are always very quick to respond to emails and are friendly when you speak to them on the phone. When we moved into our new house we had quite a complicated request that they were able to sort out for us very easily.

Also they are one of the only companies that offers a completely renewable energy tariff - 100% of the electricity is generated from renewable sources and 100% of the carbon emissions from your gas are offset. Not to mention they are very competitively priced too.
    • sexymax
    • By sexymax 7th Mar 19, 11:21 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    sexymax
    In the process of switching to Octopus right now..any info on how often they actually send meter readers to your home ?? current suppliers once every 12 months ?
    • dbolan61
    • By dbolan61 26th Mar 19, 6:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dbolan61
    Frustrating experience
    I joined Octopus Energy in October and since then through the coldest months they have twice tried to put my payments up stating that I am not paying enough. This is through the coldest months so I haven't had the opportunity to build up a positive balance as you would do through the summer. It seems that they have no concept of surplus in the summer defecit in the winter. I am thinking of moving to another supplier so that I don't have to keep dealing with the hassle.
    • Yorshireguy
    • By Yorshireguy 26th Mar 19, 7:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Yorshireguy
    Responding to dbolan61
    It all depends on the numbers of course but Energy suppliers usually prefer customers to be in credit - and that is understandable.
    However, should your account get what you consider to be too much in credit (and this opinion varies from person to person) there are two facilities on the Octopus Website.
    1) To request a refund of some of your credit.
    2) To request a change (edit) to your Direct Debit.

If you can't find these on the website, just send an email or give them a call - they usually respond pretty quickly.
    It's obviously going to take a few months for Octopus to establish an accurate monthly payment.
    But there are a couple of factors to consider: -
    1) October is an awkward time to switch to estimate usage - the supplier is obviously going to peg payments higher than perhaps necessary.
    2) Were the energy consumption readings you provided at sign-up accurate?

Remember, Octopus is an exceptional supplier for Customer satisfaction.
    Perhaps a little patience is warranted.
    One thing is for sure, posting your dissatisfaction on this website will achieve nothing - except perhaps for (hopefully helpful) comments like this.
    • toeknee77
    • By toeknee77 2nd Apr 19, 10:27 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    toeknee77
    Needed to switch as my current deal was ending with AVRO Energy. Read good reviews about Octopus so decided to take the plunge.
    My payments would go up from £86pm to £104pm but gas and electricity prices had gone up steeply in the last 12 months.
    Big mistake! I made the online switch with a month to go before my deal ends clearly choosing 31 March 2019 as the switch date. Receive emails to say switch will be 14 March?
    I could only contact via email initially as their preferred option frustratingly taking days to get a response?
    Octopus apologised and confirmed it will be 31 March 2019 and normally they respond to emails within a few hours, really??
    On 26 March supplied Octopus with dual meter readings as requested by email.
    On 31 March I receive another email from Octopus with a 'Congratulations' you are now with them. So as far as I am aware that's it, switched, wrong!
    My old supplier AVRO on 31 March sent me an email requesting my dual meter readings as I always supply to them at the end of every month, so I contacted them today and they told me only my gas had switched to Octopus and you need to contact them to find out why, this is even though I received a congratulations I am with Octopus energy sent on 31 March 2019?
    Contacted Octopus by phone today they confirmed it was their mistake human error.
    Not happy too many human error mistakes for my liking and I want to switch away from Octopus but told I can go back to my old supplier (where I will be on the standard rates) or have to wait a further 28 days before I can switch away from Octopus.

I feel very uncomfortable stuck with Octopus as I'm getting too many human error mistakes on their part which is costing me financially in the pocket. They have already took £43.00 before I switched and my AVRO took £86.00 DD on 22 March. The credit of £125.00 I have with AVRO + the DD will soon be gone after Octopus's incompetence handling my switch. So thanks Octopus.

I currently have to keep my DD open with my old supplier and DD open for Octopus plus create a new DD with another supplier in 28 days when I switch away. Any credit I do have will be wiped out due to Octopus mistakes that do not effect them but myself. Hoping this review will warn others that they do not have great CS as I read on this website after all.
    Last edited by toeknee77; 02-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    • Yorshireguy
    • By Yorshireguy 2nd Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Yorshireguy
    Responding to toeknee77
    Just over a year ago I switched from IRESA (remember them?) to Octopus.
    I had built up quite a credit balance, and with IRESAs reputation being so poor I was concerned that I would never get it back.
    I cancelled my Direct Debit with IRESA and, allowing 4 weeks to switch - (2 weeks cooling off period + 2 weeks extra) so that I could recoup most of my credit balance, I switched online.
    Two days later, I received an email from IRESA informing me about the cancelled Direct Debit (of course) AND that they had received a switch request. They immediately placed a block on my switch.
    I wondered what had happened to the cooling-off period and my extra two weeks?
    I complained and received an apology from Octopus.
    I always understand that things do go wrong occasionally, what matters to me is how the problem is handled.
    Octopus dealt with the error very well and my switch went through very smoothly (considering it was from IRESA) and was completed in seventeen days.
    Replies to my emails were made in just a couple of hours.
    I am surprised that you have suffered such long delays receiving responses.
    Perhaps a quick email directly to Greg may be appropriate.
    Despite that initial hiccup I am still pleased I switched to Octopus, and for the first time in many years, I will not me switching again at the end of my contract.
    Octopus has been very busy with switches after adopting IRESA customers, perhaps that could explain the problem.
    Perhaps give them a little more time and let things settle down?
    Just to complete the story- after reporting IRESA to the Ombudsman, I received a full refund plus compensation.
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 16th Apr 19, 7:28 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    oldwiring
    I am considering changing to them, but are readings called for automatically, submitted by customer, and accounts issued on line. Or am I left to submit readings without reminders?
    • Umiamz
    • By Umiamz 16th Apr 19, 9:05 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Umiamz
    I am considering changing to them, but are readings called for automatically, submitted by customer, and accounts issued on line. Or am I left to submit readings without reminders?
    Originally posted by oldwiring
    They'll send you an email every month when readings are due, but you can also submit them at any time to bring your account up to date. The statement is produced within minutes of you submitting readings.
    • paula j mills
    • By paula j mills 24th Apr 19, 10:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paula j mills
    read on to claim £ 50.00 credit !
    Here are 8 reasons why I recommend Octopus Energy.

1. Octopus provide competitive rates that will save you money.
    2. They have no big price rises after the first year.
    3. They have no exit fees.

4. If you switch using the referral link below you will get £50.00 credit.
    //share. octopus .energy/ocean-owl-629
    Just copy and paste - removing the spaces before and after the word octopus.
    Feel free to share this link with anyone you wish whether you use it or not.

5. Octopus also provide excellent, efficient and quick customer service via phone, e mail and an easy to use/ navigate web site.
    6. They have fully green credentials so good for everyone and the planet.
    7. Octopus handled everything concerning my switch in a very professional , well managed and efficient process
    8. They are also recommended by Which? and U switch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

956Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin