Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback 13th May 16 at 4:21 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Octopus Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-09-2017 at 2:53 PM.
Page 10
    • bbarroso
    • By bbarroso 4th Oct 18, 10:23 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bbarroso
    I moved out of my property on July the 2nd, just before Iresa ceased to trade.

A month later Octopus set up a direct debit and starts to debit my account. I mailed them asking what that was and never got an answer.

Probably will have to pop into my bank and ask them to step in
    • pheasant plucker
    • By pheasant plucker 6th Oct 18, 1:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pheasant plucker
    If you have found a supplier that is offering such a good deal on electricity, then why not do the decent thing and share the information with other MSErs? Many comparison sites are giving information such as this:

Quote Both gas and electricity consumption is measured in kWh. The unit rate you pay will vary depending upon the energy price plan you’re on, and even the region you live in, but the average cost of electricity per kWh is 14.37p, and the average gas cost per kWh is 3.80p. Unquote

The price per kWh that you are paying seems to be outwith what the market is offering. That said, I have been offered a tariff with electricity at 5p/kWh which is true. It is restricted to EV owners only and the 5p unit price is only available for 4 hours a night. The tariff is Octopus Go. Octopus also offer a tariff called Agile where they will pay consumers to use electricity at certain times of the day. I am not trying to be clever: this site only works because people are prepared to share information.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    The title of this forum is Octopus Energy Reviews and that is what I have done. I wanted to make the point that I left Iresa (not my choice) and Octopus (my choice because of their tariffs) and I am owed money still from both accounts. I do not wish to act as a comparison site as each individual has varying power needs, if they are a high gas user but low electricity user then I am sure Octopus will be the right supplier for them. My electric tariff is 3.923p cheaper than Octopus and on a annual consumption of 10000kwh I will have saved £392 than being with them, which is £32 less per month, there will be variations due to the standing charges but all in all it's better for me.
    I am not going to add any further comments on this forum but will sign off like Jon Paull, Operations Director of Octopus did on my introduction email

"love and power" yuk!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Oct 18, 1:56 PM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    Hengus
    The title of this forum is Octopus Energy Reviews and that is what I have done. I wanted to make the point that I left Iresa (not my choice) and Octopus (my choice because of their tariffs) and I am owed money still from both accounts. I do not wish to act as a comparison site as each individual has varying power needs, if they are a high gas user but low electricity user then I am sure Octopus will be the right supplier for them. My electric tariff is 3.923p cheaper than Octopus and on a annual consumption of 10000kwh I will have saved £392 than being with them, which is £32 less per month, there will be variations due to the standing charges but all in all it's better for me.
    I am not going to add any further comments on this forum but will sign off like Jon Paull, Operations Director of Octopus did on my introduction email

"love and power" yuk!
    Originally posted by pheasant plucker
    Fair enough, but I am still struggling to understand why you won’t say which supplier is offering electricity at the unit cost that you are suggesting. Why the secrecy? A lot of us spend time on PCWs checking dual fuel suppliers; single suppliers etc and I cannot find a supplier offering a unit price less than 10p/kWh for electricity (other than time of use, Economy 7). I am clearly missing something.

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/kwh-electricity-prices
    Last edited by Hengus; 06-10-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    • firsttimemover
    • By firsttimemover 8th Oct 18, 7:45 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    firsttimemover
    Outfox the market was before they raised their prices last week. 9.76p (now 10.48)
    • firsttimemover
    • By firsttimemover 8th Oct 18, 7:48 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    firsttimemover
    Correction: price rise effective from Nov, not last week, but it was announced last week
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Oct 18, 8:25 AM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    Hengus
    Outfox the market was before they raised their prices last week. 9.76p (now 10.48)
    Originally posted by firsttimemover
    Or for my postcode, 12.4703p/kWh.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 8th Oct 18, 8:52 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    beardiedog
    12.065p/kWh here.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Oct 18, 10:21 AM
    • 5,134 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Haven't got the exact figure recorded but it was certainly more than Iresa's price when I looked in August (IRESA was 12.432 p/kwh) for my area.
    • Falcon77
    • By Falcon77 8th Oct 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Falcon77
    Ex IRESA customer who got forced into Octopus by regulator or whoever decides IRESA to be honest I found great, only contacted customer services once with them and they sorted me out straight away. ANway despite having already gived Octopus my final reading to cover the period with IRESA, when I received an e-mail asking for a meter reading I clicked the link and it took be back to a page asking for a final reading again for my time with IRESA. mailed them to query why, and got a mail back saying "We know how important it is to get back to you as soon as possible, but just to let you know it's currently taking us longer than we'd like - right now we're averaging less than 12 hours to reply, and just shy of a day outside of normal business hours." Finally got a reply FIVE days later, too late for me to submit the reading they actually wanted according to the reply i.e. a current reading so I got billed against an estimate I assume. Thought this lot were supposed to be top for customer service? Not in my book, time to switch without a doubt.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 10th Oct 18, 11:53 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    gardner1
    For a company that prides itself on C/S.......it needs to try and deliver some of it
    • Missmarie
    • By Missmarie 13th Oct 18, 11:34 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Missmarie
    I assume that you were talking about SSE?
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Hi. Sorry for late reply. What are you confused about? I was talking about Octopus Energy and M&S Energy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,358Posts Today

8,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin