Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 3rd May 16, 8:06 AM
    • 4,684Posts
    • 10,354Thanks
    rosie383
    Has anyone washed a Henry Hoover filter?
    • 3rd May 16, 8:06 AM
    Has anyone washed a Henry Hoover filter? 3rd May 16 at 8:06 AM
    We got a Henry a few years ago and it is brilliant especially when doing loads of DIY. I am using it bagless for now due to brick dust and rubble etc.
    However I really want to clean the filter properly. I take it outside and give it a good bang to get rid of the excess dust but I want to wash it. It does say 'Do not wash' but rather than replacing it I would like to give it a go first.
    Also the brush has got a little caked up with dust and I need to clean that bit too.
    Can anyone help please?
    Once all the building work is done I will treat Henry to a new filter, but in the meantime...
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
Page 1
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 3rd May 16, 8:13 AM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    • 3rd May 16, 8:13 AM
    • 3rd May 16, 8:13 AM
    We got a Henry a few years ago and it is brilliant especially when doing loads of DIY. I am using it bagless for now due to brick dust and rubble etc.
    However I really want to clean the filter properly. I take it outside and give it a good bang to get rid of the excess dust but I want to wash it. It does say 'Do not wash' but rather than replacing it I would like to give it a go first.
    Also the brush has got a little caked up with dust and I need to clean that bit too.
    Can anyone help please?
    Once all the building work is done I will treat Henry to a new filter, but in the meantime...
    Originally posted by rosie383
    I tried washing the filter once. The dust turned to mud then solidified destroying the filter. Just replace it. It'll be fine as is until the building works are complete. I wouldn't use an expensive machine with so much brick dust though. The machine I used didn't like it, the motor overloaded and died. Try just sweeping with a broom as much as you can until the work is complete.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 3rd May 16, 8:54 AM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 3rd May 16, 8:54 AM
    • 3rd May 16, 8:54 AM
    Good advice HappyMJ. I'm glad I asked. I will also stop making it work so hard from now. I think in my mind a Henry is pretty indestructible but I suppose there are limits for everything.
    I just had a look online and I can buy a new filter for around a fiver. For some reason I thought they were much more expensive.
    Do you think a new filter would make any difference to the suction? It's not sucking as much as it used to after the abuse I have been giving it.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd May 16, 8:59 AM
    • 12,095 Posts
    • 233,193 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 3rd May 16, 8:59 AM
    • 3rd May 16, 8:59 AM
    If you're referring to the cloth filter across the circular bit, I have washed them from time to time on my own and other people's Henrys.

I remove all the dust which can be removed then paddle the filter gently in a sink of warm water with handwashing powder dissolved in it. The white filter will not come up snowy white but it will remove the worst of the dust. Then I rinse thoroughly and hang outside to air dry very thoroughly before reassembling the cleaner the next day.

Never had any problems doing this with several different Henrys all of which are pushing 20 years old. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• rosie383
    • By rosie383 3rd May 16, 2:44 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 3rd May 16, 2:44 PM
    • 3rd May 16, 2:44 PM
    It is that bit which I was thinking about GQ. Mine seems to be stitched onto the plastic filter frame though in some way. Not sure that I would be able to wash it in that way.
    Mind you, what's the worst that can happen? If I need to buy another filter, it wouldn't do any harm to give this one a wash after I have got the new one. Then at least it will be there as a spare.
    Any idea how to clean the brush bit?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd May 16, 2:53 PM
    • 12,095 Posts
    • 233,193 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 3rd May 16, 2:53 PM
    • 3rd May 16, 2:53 PM
    It is that bit which I was thinking about GQ. Mine seems to be stitched onto the plastic filter frame though in some way. Not sure that I would be able to wash it in that way.
    Mind you, what's the worst that can happen? If I need to buy another filter, it wouldn't do any harm to give this one a wash after I have got the new one. Then at least it will be there as a spare.
    Any idea how to clean the brush bit?
    Originally posted by rosie383
    Just paddle the whole thing up and down in the sinkful of sudsy water. It's surprising how much grot comes out.

I'd wash the brush in the same way - have washed the circular duster brush attachment like this many times. Just rinse out the soap and always allow to air dry without resting it on the bristles. Same as you'd wash the brush of a brush and dustpan set.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Emm-in-a-pickle
    • By Emm-in-a-pickle 3rd May 16, 3:22 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    Emm-in-a-pickle
    • 3rd May 16, 3:22 PM
    • 3rd May 16, 3:22 PM
    I have washed Henry filter just as GreyQueen described too, except I used liquid detergent (washing up liquid once, Stardrops thereafter. ) I think it all depends on doing it gently and loads of rinsing/rewashing/rinsing. Still works as good as new.
    • Dill
    • By Dill 3rd May 16, 7:09 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    Dill
    • 3rd May 16, 7:09 PM
    • 3rd May 16, 7:09 PM
    Good thread, - my Henry vac is starting to smell a bit like old socks!! Something needs cleaning, but I'm, not sure what. I suspect it's the filter.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd May 16, 7:32 PM
    • 12,095 Posts
    • 233,193 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 3rd May 16, 7:32 PM
    • 3rd May 16, 7:32 PM
    Good thread, - my Henry vac is starting to smell a bit like old socks!! Something needs cleaning, but I'm, not sure what. I suspect it's the filter.
    Originally posted by Dill
    Every few years I wash the filter and put the bottom part of the drum (with hose detatched) into the sink and wash it with cream cleanser. It's just the plastic bit with the casters on. Dry and then allow to air dry before reassembly.

Makes Henry look like new. If you have a new bag, and wash the filter, there's nothing much else to make nasty niffs.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• rosie383
    • By rosie383 5th May 16, 2:27 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    rosie383
    Thanks for all the advice GQ. Seeing it is a lovely day today, I may give the place a quick hoover then wash it and get all the bits out in the sun to dry.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 5th May 16, 3:16 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 2,962 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    After washing my filter, I add a few drops of Zoflora or essentail oils to it. Smells like I've vacuumed and cleaned the place properly!
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 6th May 16, 1:04 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    rosie383
    After washing my filter, I add a few drops of Zoflora or essentail oils to it. Smells like I've vacuumed and cleaned the place properly!
    Originally posted by Nomoonatall
    Great idea. Now if only I could find the bottle of Zoflora which I know is lurking somewhere.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 6th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    whattochoose
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
    I'm thinking of buying this.....
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8086071
    I've recently downsized and now live in a small studio flat.
    I think this model will be ideal for my current needs, which will just be hoovering dust from a carpet.
    I recently had a cheaper vacuum cleaner and I was put off by instructions which advised the filter should be washed once a month.
    I think I've read somewhere that with this kind of "Henry" that is not necessary and the filter will stand up to years of just average use.
    I wonder if anybody can confirm this?
    Thank you.
    • Marklevs
    • By Marklevs 9th Jul 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marklevs
    Henry filter
    As soon as you can smell the dust when using your Henry, it's ready for cleaning.
    • Marklevs
    • By Marklevs 9th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marklevs
    A few drops of essence oil on the filter works wonders.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 10th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    • 8,010 Posts
    • 11,776 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
    I'm thinking of buying this.....
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8086071
    I've recently downsized and now live in a small studio flat.
    I think this model will be ideal for my current needs, which will just be hoovering dust from a carpet.
    I recently had a cheaper vacuum cleaner and I was put off by instructions which advised the filter should be washed once a month.
    I think I've read somewhere that with this kind of "Henry" that is not necessary and the filter will stand up to years of just average use.
    I wonder if anybody can confirm this?
    Thank you.
    Originally posted by whattochoose
    I've had a Hetty (exactly the same as a Henry except she's pink and has longer eyelashes ) for nearly 10 years, never washed the filter and she's still as good as new

Argos aren't the cheapest though, so shop around. eg you could save 15 by buying from Amazon and their customer service is far superior than Argos should you have any problems https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078KKHT2Q/ref=asc_df_B078KKHT2Q53850397/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B078KKHT2Q&linkCode =df0&hvadid=255964520112&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand =5930063349268775307&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev= t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044925&hvtargid=pl a-422091131264&th=1&psc=1
    (Hetty is the same price too https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hetty-160-11-Bagged-Cylinder-Vacuum/dp/B01K4OQYW4/ref=pd_sim_79_24?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01K4OQYW4 &pd_rd_r=706b0b4a-8455-11e8-9f46-955b7807e231&pd_rd_w=u1Lxd&pd_rd_wg=bM4UH&pf_rd_i= desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=32741806221116 99416&pf_rd_r=399GQ7F7HBVQSDWMSEZV&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=399GQ7F7HBVQSDWMSE ZV)
    Last edited by jackieblack; 10-07-2018 at 4:29 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Just browsing through the threads and found this post about washing the filter on a Henry,I have a Hetty and I washed my filter once but it ruined the filter,I'm now thinking I didn't do it properly so might have to have another go,I have a dog so my poor Hetty smells a bit ripe at the moment,I don't mind buying a new filter but it seems such a waste as I would have to do it every few months,I'm hoovering in a minute and then will give it a go,I will let you all know how I get on
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,172 Total Now Owed = 16,458
    Emergency Fund = 450.00 Xmas savings = 300.00
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 24th Jul 18, 1:34 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Also decided to give it a go, it's on the line, still the odd grey patch but much better than before, will see how it dries.

Dried really well! I smacked it outside until it stopped shedding dust, then in the bath with star drops for a swoosh, then rinse, then another wash, and rinse then laundry liquid and a super rinse, dried on the line and it looks ace!
    Last edited by timehastoldme; 24-07-2018 at 6:46 PM. Reason: More detail
    • qaz
    • By qaz 19th Sep 18, 3:32 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    qaz
    of coarse the thing will turn to mud if u don't wash it properly and leave dirt in it...honestly i cant believe some people can be so dense, or put another way, if u wash out the dirt theres nothing to make mud
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,468Posts Today

6,822Users online

Martin's Twitter