Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Nathan94
    • By Nathan94 22nd Apr 16, 7:00 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Nathan94
    • 22nd Apr 16, 7:00 PM
    • 22nd Apr 16, 7:00 PM
    Right, so moneyexpert.com is not the same as moneysavingexpert.com - I understand that.

But are these people actually from moneyexpert.com, who also trade as simplyswitch, a comparison website MSE Martin has previously recommended here before he set up his own cheapenergyclub in competition, or are these cold callers complete scammers not related to moneyexpert.com either???
    Last edited by Nathan94; 22-04-2016 at 7:03 PM.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 23rd Apr 16, 9:31 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:31 AM
    • 23rd Apr 16, 9:31 AM
    I am toying with this design.

The cold caller has to cross a bridge that tilts sideways, with no handrails. At the pavement, you see the warning sign, DANGER: do not cross, for admittance, call. Friends should have your number. The door bell is the switch that tilts the bridge. The ground can be laid out with whatever you fancy: thorns, spikes, a piranha pond...
    • grandma247
    • By grandma247 28th Apr 16, 2:11 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 33,178 Thanks
    grandma247
    • 28th Apr 16, 2:11 PM
    • 28th Apr 16, 2:11 PM
    I had a cold caller a few weeks ago supposedly from OFGEM. I was very polite despite his rude attitude. He stopped short of calling me stupid after each time I responded with "No, I will go online myself and have a look at the comparisons." I shut the door on him in the end. He kept dropping in Money Saving Expert and OFGEM. I knew neither would be calling at my door or anyone else's. He kept showing me his tablet. I didn't bother telling him I couldn't see without my glasses. It all only lasted a few minutes but I would hate to think of him calling on someone frail, it wound me up enough, it might have caused others real distress as he was so rude and persistent. Not only did he say I could save £250 ( I can't, I have checked) he said I would get £50 as a welcome gift.
    • lozzy81
    • By lozzy81 26th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    lozzy81
    • 26th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    • 26th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    It looks like these guys are back in business!!

Two very well dressed gentleman have just knocked on my door claiming to work for Martin Lewis and moneysavingexpert!

He asked if i had read the energy report released a few weeks ago, i said no i used MSE to compare and switch which is when he said "i work for mse" and showed me a card, the card he showed me said moneyexpert with an ofgem logo and their lynard around their neck also had Ofgem on it, they asked who i switched to, i lied just in case!! This is in Edinburgh

have emailed mse with details about it!
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 member #14
    £30.04/£250
    • bulleblue
    • By bulleblue 4th Nov 16, 3:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bulleblue
    • 4th Nov 16, 3:43 PM
    • 4th Nov 16, 3:43 PM
    I got someone from MoneyExpert today and I filled a form to switch my energy supplier through simplyswitch.com. They are in the Ofgem list.

Is it safe ?

I kinda want to cancel now ..
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 4th Nov 16, 6:48 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 4th Nov 16, 6:48 PM
    • 4th Nov 16, 6:48 PM
    I got someone from MoneyExpert today and I filled a form to switch my energy supplier through simplyswitch.com. They are in the Ofgem list.

Is it safe ?

I kinda want to cancel now ..
    Originally posted by bulleblue
    Welcome to MSE, bulleblue

Simply Switch is a trading name of Moneyexpert Ltd

and as you appear to already know

Simply Switch is fully accredited to the Ofgem Confidence Code to compare energy for domestic consumers

However, I would ask why you shose to use that particular comparison site? If you were to use one of those mentioned in this MSE article
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
    then you may have earned some possible cashback on the switch too
    i.e. more than Simply Switch offer by going direct

(Simply Switch were previously on the MSE list, but are no longer, presumably as they no longer provide extra cashback to MSE readers, over and above the cashback they offer everyone else.)

If I understand you correctly, you applied to switch your energy supplier through Simply Switch, and that is why they were calling you?
    What exactly did they wish to enquire of you?

If you have applied to switch online, the comparison site does not usually contact you by telephone, but simply passes your request to the nominated supplier. (You may receive an email from the comparison site to advise you of progress of your application)

If you now wish to cancel that switch request, you need to contact the supplier you requested to switch to - they should be contacting you soon informing you of your cooling off period (2 weeks)
    Last edited by footyguy; 04-11-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    • CJBushey
    • By CJBushey 8th Nov 16, 9:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CJBushey
    • 8th Nov 16, 9:40 PM
    Cold Caller in Bushey
    • 8th Nov 16, 9:40 PM
    Hi, I had two men knock on my door last night claiming to be from Money Saving Expert - he even had a lanyard around his neck with a card with Money Saving Expert on it. What made me wonder was it was cheap card and if it was genuine it would have had a proper logo.

Of course I know it was not you good folks.

I have reported this to the local Police.
    • bulleblue
    • By bulleblue 7th Dec 16, 9:46 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bulleblue
    • 7th Dec 16, 9:46 AM
    • 7th Dec 16, 9:46 AM
    Thank you for your answer !

I did not choose the website, the cold-caller was promoting it (I had no idea there were other sites like that).

Right after I posted my message, I called MoneyExpert (the number they give you if you wsh to cancel) and I asked to cancel the switch. They told me it was done and since I haven't been contacted by anyone else I assume everything is ok.
    • madmittens
    • By madmittens 2nd Aug 17, 6:37 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    madmittens
    Their cold-callers are out again...
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 3rd Aug 17, 9:42 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Their cold-callers are out again...
    Originally posted by madmittens
    ...whereabouts ?? I had a guy knock on the door yesterday with a badge round his neck and a clipboard ...as per normal I ignored him
    • SummerFun
    • By SummerFun 3rd Aug 17, 12:31 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    SummerFun
    I had a cold caller too yesterday.

Actually 2 of them , smartly dressed, asked if I believed in God...

When I sought clarification if they meant MSE Martin, they said no and left

• EzeRoss
    • By EzeRoss 4th Aug 17, 5:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    EzeRoss
    Money Expert cold callers in Ipswich today.
    I just had a gentleman drop by with a tablet who did me a quick comparison and told me I was overpaying by £12 a year which he admitted was not bad at all. He compared that to several of my neighbours that are currently overpaying by over £200 a year, more fool them.
    I check on the MSE cheap energy club and the top one came out that I could save £75 a year, compare that to the £12 and it shows that they aren't using a full market comparison. The top two on my Cheap Energy club however were not recommended as they had bad reviews and the next best was only saving me £30 which would be negated by my exit fees. So essentially I am still on the best tariff I can be on until I get near the end of my deal and the exit fees no longer apply.
    Take Martin's advice and avoid all cold callers whether they are phone or in person as they are not doing a full market comparison and they are a middle man who would need to get their cut. So stick with the Cheap Energy club on MSE. They have saved me hundreds over the last few years and long may they do so.
    All the best,
    EzeRoss
    • benj111
    • By benj111 14th Aug 17, 3:37 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    benj111
    Just had a bloke come round. His opening gambit was "have you heard the news about millions of consumers being overcharged for gas and electricity?" Then went on to asking me about the national grid and other leading questions, before finally telling me he was flogging electrity.
    Told him I've only just switched (to bulb), he had a fiddle on his tablet and to his credit did actually admit I had a better deal so gave me a high 5 and left it at that.
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 11th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 2,087 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    RHemmings
    They're out in Leicester today. When I asked if they were associated with Martin Lewis and MoneySavingExpert.com they did say no. They left very soon after I asked that.
    • Nathan94
    • By Nathan94 12th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Nathan94
    They're out in Leicester today. ...
    Originally posted by RHemmings
    Good to hear

They seemed to have gone quiet for the last 12 months - I'd almost forgotten about them.

But I see they offer £38 cashback via quidco - much better than the measly £25 MSE offer nowadays.

Just switched via them. Thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

765Posts Today

5,037Users online

Martin's Twitter