Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 279
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 6th Nov 18, 10:34 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Congratulations ginger!! Hope you have a very happy and healthy 9 months
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #076
    • GingerSaurus
    • By GingerSaurus 7th Nov 18, 7:31 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    GingerSaurus
    Thank you everyone.

Haha PKK I wish I’d known how lucky it was, I would have joined the lists months ago!

I’ve done a digital test this morning and it’s starting to sink in now I’ve seen the words so I’ll move across to the next board.

Ladies, thank you so much for all of your support. It has made the TTC journey so much easier having you lot to talk to.
    • Buttermint
    • By Buttermint 7th Nov 18, 11:13 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Buttermint
    OMGoodness the BFP's are coming thick & fast now!

Big big congratulations GingerSaurus, I hope you have a happy & healthy 9 months!

Keeping fingers crossed for you Ariel for Friday that this is your BFP as well

Hope everyone else is feeling okay xx
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Nov 18, 7:51 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    2 Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD54 Missmoose
    CD46 Tryingin2018
    CD38 Thrift260
    CD32 Buttermint

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD16 Aunty-Pickle
    CD15 Creditcardjunkie
    CD12 Skimper
    CD9 PrettyKittyKat

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD8 Ariel85

Those we haven't heard from in a while:
    Nanyco, CamelLady, athensgeorgia, SlothSocks, wifeforlife, LKRDN_Morgan, Zeni, KatieBee123, April87

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney 23/01/2018
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
    WJN222 18/10/2018
    Faith177 25/10/2018
    GingerSaurus 6/11/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Nov 18, 7:54 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    How are you doing Buttermint?

Lots of cm here, so I'm thinking I may ovulate in a few days time. I have been remembering to take my temp each morning too, although I'm not sure what I am looking for? For those of your that have or do temp, what should I be looking for?
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 8th Nov 18, 3:25 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    PKK, generally before ovulation, your temperature does a bit of a dip and then after ovulation, your temp rises by about 0.5-1 degree - so quite a marked increase. In that sense, you don't want to rely on that to tell you when to BD because the temperature change is noticeable after ovulation - and ideally you want to BD before and during.
    The advantage of charting regularly is that you can begin (hopefully - if you're fairly regular) to see a pattern. Or at least, you see a range of patterns and you can start to predict when ovulation is likely to occur. A lot of apps (I use Fertility Friend) do this automatically and they become more accurate the longer you are inputting data.
    Don't worry if you see lots of "up and downs" - that's normal!! That's why it's useful to be keeping track of other things like cm and mood and any other possible symptoms

Hope that helps!!

As for me this month, I kind of can't be bothered?!! Quite surprised really but maybe my body isn't "ready" this month - no ovulation showed up yet either according to BBT etc. Maybe I'm not ovulating this month...
    Oh well, we'll see! It only takes once!!

Hugs for anyone and everyone who needs one...
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
    • skimper
    • By skimper 8th Nov 18, 8:22 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    skimper
    Not much to report here. Fertile week started yesterday and we managed to bd Monday & last night. OH starts his new job today so no more 4am starts so hopefully he's more awake for BDing and we can get a few more times in. Opking this month too & the line is starting to get more noticeable so ov should be tomorrow/Saturday. We are away for the first time in the caravan from tomorrow night haha so should be interesting.

Feels weird doesn't it, telling a load of strangers on the internet when you had sex, when you normally wouldn't be telling anyone!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 8th Nov 18, 9:15 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Lol skimper I know!

The past few days I've been having cramps sort of in my pelvic area at the front on both sides. I did have this a few months ago around the same time. It's quite painful but bearable without painkillers.

I'm CD 16 today. Sort of worried it's a sign of endometriosis, aside from painful periods I don't have any other of the symptoms so my mind is probably running away with me!
    • Buttermint
    • By Buttermint 8th Nov 18, 11:50 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Buttermint
    Hey PKK

Thanks for asking. Iím okay, not much to report yet. I think AF is on her way, expecting her to arrive properly tomorrow and am fairly certain she will.

Not overly disappointed, Iím quite content with just waiting for it to happen when itís right. We are in quite a bit of debt at the minute and obviously Iím trying to lose weight too so every month it doesnít happen almost means weíll be even better off when it does.

Be interesting to see if you find temping useful. I think it would just be way too much hassle for me! Have you noticed any dips or peaks in it yet?

Happy Bding you ladies in the if in doubt zone, thereís definitely been something in the air lately, hope you catch it!

Xx
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 8th Nov 18, 12:43 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    Hello all. Bit of an update.

Had an early scan on Monday. They found a gestational sac measuring 4+6 but nothing inside it at that point. I thought I was close to 5+2 or 5+4 but there is an margin of error of +/-5 days.

I've had spotting since the day I found out. The scan could find no reason for spotting. Ive since discovered that I have cervical erosion which potentially could be causing the brown blood but that isn't confirmed

I've got HCG blood tests tomorrow and Monday and by mid next week I should know if my levels are going up appropriately. If that's the case, I have a scan on the 21st which is a viability scan

Whirlwind! It's a shame because we haven't been able to enjoy getting a positive at all.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 8th Nov 18, 1:56 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Hi trying! Gosh I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time! Sending you lots of hugs and luck. Do keep us updated!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Nov 18, 7:28 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    CD55 Missmoose
    CD39 Thrift260
    CD33 Buttermint

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD17 Aunty-Pickle
    CD16 Creditcardjunkie
    CD13 Skimper
    CD10 PrettyKittyKat

CD9 Ariel85

Nanyco, CamelLady, athensgeorgia, SlothSocks, wifeforlife, LKRDN_Morgan, Zeni, KatieBee123, April87

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
    WJN222 18/10/2018
    Tryingin2018 24/10/2018
    Faith177 25/10/2018
    GingerSaurus 6/11/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Nov 18, 7:38 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Thanks Aunty-Pickle. I got a thermometer in degree Celsius, but I am wondering if I should have got it in Fahrenheit?

My temps so far have been 36.06, 36.11, 36.11, 36.11, didn’t temp as hungover, 35.98, 36.27, 36.29 and 36.27 so pretty consistent with a small dip. But I’m thinking this isn’t anything?

Tryingin2018, I am sorry that your BFP hasn’t brought the enjoyment you hoped. It must be a worrying time for you. I have a cervical erosion too, it was found a few months ago, and the gynae said it is caused by a change in hormones so a lot of pregnant women can get it and it causes bleeding in early pregnancy. Fingers crossed that is all it is and your little bean is growing nicely in there! Sending you lots of love, make sure you pop back to update us all as we will be thinking of you.

Just plodding on over here. I am hoping that the temping will back up my suspicious that I ovulated earlier in the cycle now (which means my fertile period on Ovia is wrong). We have started bding every other day already this cycle even though ovia says the fertile week isn’t for another 4 days.
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 8th Nov 18, 9:57 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Celepie
    You need three days of temps above the coverline to confirm ovulation - if you're using an app like Fertility Friend to add your temps, then it should tell you when you have three temps above coverline and give you the day of ovulation.

I always temped in celsius –!the trick is not to look at individual fluctuations day to day, you need to look at the whole pattern over the month on a graph. Temps will go up and down slightly day to day, and you'll have the odd day where you get a weird temp but on its own it doesn't really mean anything.

You should also make sure you're temping from CD1 as that will help establish the baseline for what temp range is normal for you - if you start too close to ovulation you don't get an accurate coverline.

After the first few months, I got to know my pattern and could just temp in the days before I thought I was going to ovulate and three days after to confirm as my temp was always below 36 degrees pre-ovulation, and consistently 36.1 or above after (I run cold!).

A lot of people think it's a hassle but for me, it was always way more of a hassle not knowing if I'd ovulated or when to expect my period (and thinking I was pregnant when in reality I just ovulated a few days later than I thought). It really only takes about 30 seconds in the morning and adding the temps to your app and that's it.

I know I bang on about it a lot, but the book Taking Charge of your Fertility is SO GOOD for understanding your cycle, temping, cervical mucus, etc. There was so much stuff about my body I was oblivious to before reading it, and it was really enlightening. I got a second-hand copy cheap off Amazon and it was worth every penny.
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 9th Nov 18, 12:15 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    CreditCard- could it be ovulation pain?

PrettyKittyKat - I chart BBT every day - it just means it's part of a routine. My alarm goes off for that, I enter the data into FF (App on my phone which serves as my alarm clock) and then I have 15 minutes before my "proper" alarm goes off.
    My BBT thermometer happens to be in Fahrenheit but it really doesn't matter - as Celepie says, it's more important to get a feel for the pattern of your charts over a month.

Hope the scan is reassuring for you Trying

As ever, hugs for anyone who needs one
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
    • Ariel85
    • By Ariel85 9th Nov 18, 10:39 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Ariel85
    So I took a digital test which was positive with 2-3 weeks which ties in with my dates. The bleeding that I had must have been implantation, it was just much heavier than I thought it should have been - haven't had any since though which is good.

PrettyKitKat, can you my graduate date as 03/11? That was the date of my first bfp, just didn't believe it at the time!

Thanks ladies for all your support, I know i haven't been here long but it's been good to talk to others going through similar things and baby dust to you all
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Nov 18, 5:08 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    CD56 Missmoose
    CD40 Thrift260
    CD34 Buttermint

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD18 Aunty-Pickle
    CD17 Creditcardjunkie
    CD14 Skimper
    CD11 PrettyKittyKat

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
    WJN222 18/10/2018
    Tryingin2018 24/10/2018
    Faith177 25/10/2018
    Ariel85 3/11/2018
    GingerSaurus 6/11/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Nov 18, 5:12 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Celepie and Aunty-Pickle. Thanks for your help on temping. I have been doing it since CD1 this cycle and I do it at 5.50am when my husbands alarm goes off, and even set an alarm for this same time at the weekend to make sure it is consistent! I haven’t found it as much of a chore as I thought it would be. I downloaded FF but need to sign up and log the temps. Will get that sorted this weekend.

Ariel85,
    I have added you to the graduates list. I hope you have a wonderful 9 (ish) months ahead of you!
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 9th Nov 18, 6:27 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Congratulations Ariel!!! Happy and healthy 9 months!

Aunty pickle I was hoping that, so I googled and it said it should be very light pain, however yesterday I had ewcm (which I've only ever had when I had those pains before) so I'm wondering if maybe those were the only times I've actually ovulated??

How's everyone else getting on??
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Nov 18, 4:56 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    CD57 Missmoose
    CD41 Thrift260
    CD35 Buttermint

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD19 Aunty-Pickle
    CD18 Creditcardjunkie
    CD15 Skimper
    CD12 PrettyKittyKat

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
    WJN222 18/10/2018
    Tryingin2018 24/10/2018
    Faith177 25/10/2018
    Ariel85 3/11/2018
    GingerSaurus 6/11/2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,676Posts Today

7,837Users online

Martin's Twitter