Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 262
    • skimper
    • By skimper 11th Sep 18, 10:54 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    skimper
    Thanks ccj, another day at home whilst the cars in the garage. Going to cost about £150 to be fixed, bloody thing has cost so much over the past few months, OH is sick of it and just wants rid, but we wpuld just be going to another 2nd hand car and it's a gamble, that one might be just as bad.

Taking the relaxed approach this month, I'm not using opks and I'm not telling the OH when fertile week is and just enjoy Bding. We had a chat and he was saying it's becoming a bit of a chore when you feel like you have to do it rather than wanting to for fun.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 11th Sep 18, 8:33 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Aww I get what you mean skimper, although my DH is very much a believer of getting rid of it as soon as it starts to cost you money!
    I know we've been finding it's not quite the same when it's scheduled lol.
    My cold is starting to shift!!
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #076
    • Buttermint
    • By Buttermint 12th Sep 18, 10:22 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Buttermint
    So still getting the flashing smiley face result on the OPKs this morning. Tested last night when I got in from work too and although still flashing, the blue lines on the test stick were the darkest I've seen them? I also had a good bit of CM and a few sharp pains in work- so I think that may have been the LH surge/OV and maybe just missed it on the test. We BD last night anyway who knows lol time will tell.

Still seems a lot earlier than normal for me to OV though. Ovia is telling me my fertile week wouldn't even start until Friday. Don't think I'd invest in the CB sticks again tbh, spend more time looking at the blue stripes on the test sticks rather than the digital result, so may as well use the cheapies if it doesn't work this time.

I start back to uni in a couple of weeks, I'm really looking forward to having a distraction to stop me over thinking all of this
    • BusyBargainz
    • By BusyBargainz 12th Sep 18, 3:51 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    BusyBargainz
    I was going to get the CB OPKs but I think I will stick with the cheapies as sounds quite confusing!
    I am really liking the amazon ones, I got quite a clear positive on them which matched up with the other OV symptoms I was having I just happened to be on a hen weekend and missed my window.

Hoping I have the same success this month with them as I've got a nice clear diary during my fertile week haha!
    • Buttermint
    • By Buttermint 12th Sep 18, 4:29 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Buttermint
    Yeah Busy I would stick with the cheapies, Iím going to get some for next month if we donít get PG this time.

The CB ones rave about being able to pinpoint your peak fertility by detecting the LH surge, but considering in some cases the surge may only last a few hours, it would be easy to miss. Especially considering that you donít really want to use up all your test sticks by testing a lot as they are so expensive.

I am still glad I used them though as Ovia would have had me thinking my fertile week didnít even start until Friday so at least I was able to catch it (I hope) but I think the cheapies would have done this just as well

xx
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 12th Sep 18, 9:21 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Evening all.... apologies in advance for the tmi post.
    Okay so according to Flo which is all I'm using for tracking my fertile days were 1st - 7th sept with ovulation on the 6th.
    I wondered if I ovulated because I didn't get any ewcm. Tonight I had some sticky cm in my pants and when I wiped I had lots of ewcm....is it possible to be ovulating on cd19 of a 26/27 day cycle?? My period always arrives on time or early.
    Again sorry for the tmi, but I really trust you girlies - other forums seem to be full of bs!
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Sep 18, 11:11 PM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    It’s very possible. Can ovulate between days 10 to 17 and longer. Plus it will be forwards a day with it being a 27 day cycle. Anything’s possible
    roll on end of April 2019 *17 done* = *23 to go*
    • BusyBargainz
    • By BusyBargainz 13th Sep 18, 9:18 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    BusyBargainz
    CCJ - I OV on day 20 last month so it is possible. Usual cycle of 28 days, but this month it ended up being 31 even though I had been 28 like clockwork for the past few months. I always went by the app which said day 14 for me so I think I had been missing it all along until I started the OPKs.

Will be interesting to see what happens this month.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 13th Sep 18, 1:11 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Thanks all, I think I will have to order some OPKs. Didn't dtd last night as didn't realise I could ovulate so late. Anyone any recommendations for the cheapy ones??
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 13th Sep 18, 1:12 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    I Used ones off amazon. Thirty for around six pounds I think. Can’t for the life of me remember what they’re called. Sorry
    • skimper
    • By skimper 13th Sep 18, 4:08 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    skimper
    I usually get the OneStep opks off amazon.
    • BusyBargainz
    • By BusyBargainz 13th Sep 18, 4:44 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    BusyBargainz
    I got mine from eBay last time, they were £4 - "30 Ovulation Tests + 5 Pregnancy Test Strips Kits Urine Fertility Kit One Step".
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 13th Sep 18, 9:24 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD29 Missmoose
    CD20 Creditcardjunkie (6dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD26 Tryingin2018
    CD19 Faith177
    CD17 Buttermint
    CD14 PrettyKittyKat
    CD11 BusyBargainz

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD9 Skimper
    CD? April87

Those we haven't heard from in a while:
    Nanyco, CamelLady, athensgeorgia, SlothSocks, wifeforlife, LKRDN_Morgan, Zeni, KatieBee123

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney 23/01/2018
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 13th Sep 18, 9:29 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Sorry for being MIA ladies, busy busy week! And of course I have now been struck down with a bad cold (Cold doesn't seem strong enough a description for how rubbish I feel but I know flu basically means you're bed ridden which I'm not!). I wish I could blame it on being back at work but sadly the lurgy germs keep coming from OH! I am hoping giving in to it and having a day of rest tomorrow means I am ready for bding again as I am CD14 so if I am ovulating it will on the horizon in the next 10 days or so!
    • BusyBargainz
    • By BusyBargainz 14th Sep 18, 9:59 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    BusyBargainz
    Hope you feel better soon PKK, a day of rest will do you some good hopefully.

I am so impatient this month, still got about 5-7 days until I'm expected to OV and time seems to be going so slowly. Dread to think how I will be when its my 2ww haha.
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 14th Sep 18, 2:16 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    Just checking in. Approx 4/5dpo today. Although BD at all the right times not feeling very hopeful at the moment. Roll on December when the GP will finally start investigating why we haven't got pg. Baby dust to all.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 15th Sep 18, 1:11 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Thanks all! Waiting to see if AF arrives before I order. Awe PKK sorry to hear you aren't well. What's everyone's plans for the weekend? I'm off to get my hair done tomorrow and visiting family on Sunday so another busy one for me!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 15th Sep 18, 9:12 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD31 Missmoose
    CD28 Tryingin2018
    CD22 Creditcardjunkie (8dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD21 Faith177
    CD19 Buttermint
    CD16 PrettyKittyKat
    CD13 BusyBargainz

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD11 Skimper
    CD? April87

Those we haven't heard from in a while:
    Nanyco, CamelLady, athensgeorgia, SlothSocks, wifeforlife, LKRDN_Morgan, Zeni, KatieBee123

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney 23/01/2018
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 15th Sep 18, 9:18 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Thanks ladies. My cold has got abit better which is good, but my cough has got much worse ������.

According to Ovia my fertile week started yesterday. We powered through our coughs and bd!

This weekend we are not doing anything too exciting. We are hopefully going to clear one of our sheds, and I am hopefully doing my car boot tomorrow as a final declutter for this summer. We've had renewed interest in the house this week, which is good, so fingers crossed this turns in to an offer soon!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 15th Sep 18, 9:26 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    skimper
    Can I be moved to the if in doubt section please. Fertile week starts today I think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,918Posts Today

8,618Users online

Martin's Twitter