Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 209
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 4th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    When is the best time to take a test? I!!!8217;ve seen a lot of different answers online and I really have no idea. any help would be greatly appreciated
    • skimper
    • By skimper 4th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    skimper
    Ooh Skimper, did AF finally show her face?!
    Originally posted by Celepie
    Yeah 3 days ago out of the blue! I've forgot how bad it can make you feel. I've been having cramps on and off all day and can definitely feel the mood swings. So I'm having a pj day in front of the fire.
    I'm excited though that I can finally join you all in the ttc journey and possibility of a wedding night baby haha.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 4th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    Oh nevermind. AF has arrived 5days early.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 4th Mar 18, 3:50 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Hello everyone,

Hope the snow has meant cosy days in and lots of BDing!

Cycle day 21 here, I!!!8217;m not sure when to expect a test to be positive If I did catch this cycle, positive opks cycle day 13 and 14, currently cycle day 21 with AF due on the 15th I did test this morning but was neg but it is possibly only 6/7 days after ov, Ovia says test in 5 days which would be Friday but that would still be 6 days before af is due, how many days past ov would you ladies expect a test to be positive?

Glad to see AF had arrived skimper and looks like perfect timing too! If there is such a thing with AF

PKK - thank you for keeping on top of the lists, it is appreciated! Xx
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 4th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Zeni
    What a miserable day.. argument with the hubby last night, stinking head cold and CD1. This month wasnt meant to be.. another 26 day cycle too wonder why they are getting shorter?
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. 55.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 5th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Katiebee and happylassie - I don't think you could get a relaible result until 12dpo even then it would have to be a very sensitive one such as first response or an internet cheapie. Personally I didn't get a sniff of a line until the day AF was due!

CD3 for me. AF showed up finally on Saturday.
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 5th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Hi all,

Sorry to hear AF got some of you.
    I'm CD15, 1DPO I think. So could I be moved to the TWW please? We managed to BD twice over the weekend (and none for a week before that) so not great but not too bad either. Just got to wait and see.

A friend of mine got engaged over the weekend and we're going out for dinner and a few cocktails on Thursday. No one knows that we're TTC so if I'm not drinking it'll seem odd and there'll be lots of questions that I'm not sure I'm ready to answer just yet; but at the same time don't want to have a few drinks just in case. Any advice/suggestions/stories?

BD to all xx
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    FTB June '17 - 144k. Feb '18 - 141K
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 5th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,975 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Just delurking to say implantation doesn't generally happen until 7dpo so you should be fine to have a drink on Thursday - I had a drink at 8dpo for OHs birthday with friends and got my BFP 12dpo, I'm now 36 weeks so can't have done any harm

I went with the idea that life can't stop completely, I haven't touched alcohol since my BFP but I didn't stop drinking/going out until I got a positive - it would have been a boring 11 months if I stressed about every drink or morsel of food

Wishing lots of baby dust for everyone x
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: 0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    Mortgage - 158.500.00 (2017/2018 O/P 3491.79) PAYDBX 17 - 18,442.82
    PAYDBX 18 #006 3850.92/4000
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    From what I have read 12dpo seems to be the earliest to test, although it is most accurate the day after your missed period. It's so tempting to test asap but hold out as long as possible ladies! (easier said than done i know!)

CD39 - Still no development anyway for me here. Took another test yesterday which was negative. I think if I was pregnant then I would be getting a positive by now. I've had a look at my doctors online system and the next appointment that I can easily make with a doctor I like is at the end of the month. I have booked it incase I need it as I can always cancel it nearer the time. If I feel I need to go sooner I can always see another doctors but I'd rather go to one I feel is compassionate when talking about TTC.
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 5th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Has anyone ever used preseed/ conceiveplus? Is either better than the other? X
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 5th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    Toots14
    We use conceive plus. Never used
    preseed. I like CP you don't need much of it either. It is expensive though. We conceived the first month of using it with DD.

I've booked a tattoo 1 day before AF is due this month. Hopefully I'll have to phone and cancel. We BD the day before and day of OV so it's been our best chance for a while.
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 5th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Wow Kirtsypoos 36 weeks. Time really has flown. Hope all is well.
    We tried preseed once and a little certainly goes a long way.
    Had a job interview today and got offered a job on the spot. Not my dream career but its a job. Only been redundant two weeks but thats a weight off my mind. No BD this month as OH is away working. Once the wedding is out of the way we will be going to the doctors about TTC as it!!!8217;s been two years now we!!!8217;ll, technically one and a bit as he!!!8217;s away half the time. And the MC was over a year ago.
    Hope everyone is well x
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD122 Nanyco
    CD52 CamelLady (36dpo)
    CD50 athensgeorgia
    CD39 PrettyKittyKat (18 dpo)
    CD31 Selement
    CD22 KatieBee123
    CD17 Toots14 (2dpo)
    CD15 NelliePie (1dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD44 SlothSocks
    CD16 Tryingin2018

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD6 Celepie
    CD4 Skimper
    CD3 Rambosmum
    CD3 T4Taylor
    CD2 HappyLassie13
    CD2 Zeni

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney - 23/01/2018
    Last edited by PrettyKittyKat; 05-03-2018 at 9:52 PM. Reason: editing
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 5th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Thanks for the replies, I have ordered some conceive plus and my clear blue stuff for the research study should be coming soon although I do not know if I will be in the test or control group. Sorry for the confusion PKK my period came late Saturday night so I am cd 3 today x
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    oops I am sure that was my fault T4Taylor - thanks for letting me know. I think signing up to the study has jinxed me! AF was pretty much due the day I had my study call and I am still waiting a week later, so I think my body doesn't want me to have 100! hahaha.

My AF always starts overnight so I have the morning 'going to the toilet dread' each day! Although to be fair I am 99% certain I am not pregnant (always a teeny chance until the witch arrives!) so I guess AF turning up will at least mean we can get started on the next cycle! Poor Ovia is stuck now and has nothing predicted as I am over my projected period time! I keep thinking as frustrating as this wait is it could mean that we only need to miss 1 cycle to avoid christmas, so can get started back with TTC quicker.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 6th Mar 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Fingers crossed for you PKK.
    • selement
    • By selement 6th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    selement
    My cycle length seems to be getting a day longer each time . No sign of AF yet today (although the usual pre menstrual breast soreness is here). If it comes tomorrow it'll prove my day longer each time theory correct.
    I really would like to not be on for holiday in May but so far I've had 29 -31 and counting lengths so makes it difficult to work out how many days to delay! I wouldn't be so precious about it but it's for my birthday and planning to go in a bunch of thermal baths whichid fee a lot more comfortable doing not on!
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD123 Nanyco
    CD53 CamelLady (37dpo)
    CD51 athensgeorgia
    CD40 PrettyKittyKat (19 dpo)
    CD32 Selement
    CD23 KatieBee123
    CD18 Toots14 (3dpo)
    CD16 NelliePie (2dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD45 SlothSocks
    CD17 Tryingin2018

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD7 Celepie
    CD5 Skimper
    CD4 Rambosmum
    CD4 T4Taylor
    CD3 HappyLassie13
    CD3 Zeni

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney - 23/01/2018
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 6th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    Back home after 4 nights in New York. Fertility monitor has said high fertility for ten days straight. Ovia and Flo app are predicting ovulation this week. Here's hoping!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    wow how was nyc Tryingin2018? I love nyc but haven't been for a few years, I am definitely getting itchy feet and really want to go soon (I just need to find that money tree!).

Random question.... has anyone got any preference on reliability of certain tests? I just use the cheap home bargain ones. I don't want to waste money on tests so I bought a twin packets of CBD ones and figured I would use these once I get a positive on a cheapy. I have one friend that is aware we are TTC and she suggested trying another brand of test to see if I still get a negative, but I figured they would all do the same thing and be as reliable? I know if you are testing early then brand matters because some can detect earlier than others, but I'm super late!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin