Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 202
    • selement
    • By selement 9th Feb 18, 3:54 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    selement
    Rambosmum- yeah did a bit of googling after and discovered a lot of people don't rate them! Didbt want to spend much since they didbt have FRER but current ones are internet cheapies - blue dye and say cool per to room temp and I just wanted an easier test.

Tryingin2018 - since coming off pill I've been having mega sore boobs before AF. Although obviously it's also a pregnancy symptom so th never know.

Haven't tested yet. I'm definately having a weird cycle from other symptoms also but it could just be a weird one I guess.
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 9th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Celepie
    Could I be moved to 'If in doubt, BD,' please? Appearance of EWCM suggests ovulation is on its way!

Fingers crossed for you still, Selement. It all seems v weird!
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 9th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Celepie
    When I had my chem preg last month, I had sore boobs like you would not believe. My OH brushed against me, really lightly, and I properly screamed at him I had to wear a sports bra to bed because even turning over was agony!
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 9th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    I've got a feeling its all AF related. Today its sore boobs and random twinges near my belly button. So easy to read into everything - just wish I knew when she would arrived.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD97 Nanyco
    CD37 Zeni
    CD30 KatieBee123
    CD28 CamelLady (15dpo)
    CD26 athensgeorgia
    CD20 Toots14 (6dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD20 SlothSocks
    CD15 PrettyKittyKat
    CD15 Celepie
    CD12 Rambosmum
    CD8 T4Taylor
    CD7 Selement

"Wine and Chocolate" zone

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney - 23/01/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Tryinin2018 /Selement !!!8211; Since coming off the pill I have started to get really sore boobs before AF too. I never had anything like that on the pill, so I find it even more of a nuisance! Haha

The husband is off out tonight so I!!!8217;m looking forward to a chilled night ready for some BDing when he gets home!

Fingers crossed for those of you waiting AF!
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 9th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Zeni
    CD3 here..weirdly only a 26 day cycle this month. To a new month
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • selement
    • By selement 10th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    selement
    Still testing negative . Having terrible headaches/migraines and nausea. Was up in the middle of the night in a lot of pain and vomiting . Will call the doctor monday because clearly something isn't right too bad it isn't pregnancy!
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Feb 18, 12:54 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

CD98 Nanyco
    CD31 KatieBee123
    CD29 CamelLady (16dpo)
    CD27 athensgeorgia
    CD21 Toots14 (7dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD21 SlothSocks
    CD16 PrettyKittyKat
    CD16 Celepie
    CD13 Rambosmum
    CD9 T4Taylor
    CD8 Selement

CD4 Zeni

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Selement - definitely ring the Doctor Monday. If you feel any worse this weekend make sure you call 111 and get some advice. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 10th Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    Still no af :-( cd29 today.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Feb 18, 4:34 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Hmmm... I think I may be getting ovulation pains. Negative OPKS this morning. We are staying with family tonight but I have brought my holder and a stick for the morning, so will see what that says.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 10th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 19,968 Posts
    • 15,096 Thanks
    Lokolo
    Hello ladies (are there any DH/BF on this thread??).

I am a regular MSEr and was thinking of creating a new account for this as some people know me on here, however who cares. Me and my fiance have been trying for a little bit, but here's the back story.

Last depo was Nov '16 and since then have been NTNP. We got engaged in the NY so it's now trying to time everything (although looks like wedding is going to be 2020 at this rate).

My partners AF has been, well, all over the place. Some times it's after 30 days, sometimes its been after 40 days, sometimes its not happened. Recently (as I didn't want a pre-Sept baby) we've started to up it and she has been trying to use OPK without success. She started 4 days ago which is 10 days after AF. Nothing so far. These are Asdas own. We have now purchased Advanced Clearblue Digital and going to give these a go.

Question, how often should we go for it? Some places seem to say I need to rest a day between, some say 2 days rest, some say no rest.

Next question. When should we do the OPK tests? They're quite expensive so am reluctant to keep spending £30 on a set and use them twice in a month (i.e. 20 days in a row). But so far as the AF have been all over the place we're not really sure when the best time to start testing is (we thought 10 days is best to start with).

Just to confirm - been to doctors who have said everything is in working order.
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 11th Feb 18, 2:19 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Celepie
    Welcome to the thread!

OPKs can be tricky as some womenís surges are quite short and if you arenít testing at the right time, you might miss it. Iíd recommend getting a job lot of the cheapie One Step sticks from Amazon and when you get to about CD10, start using them 2/3 times a day. If you get a result that looks like itís close to being positive, you can use one of the Clearblues for confirmation. The CB ones are just too expensive to use exclusively when you have irregular cycles, and especially if you want to test several times a day. Also, afternoon and evening is best time to pick up a surge.

If her cycles vary from 30-40 days, then she could ovulate as late as cycle day 26 in a given month. And if her cycle isnít ever under 30 days, she probably wonít ovulate until day 15/16 at the very earliest.

Does your fianc! keep an eye on her cervical fluid? Some women donít ever really get good results with OPKs so itís useful to know the other signs. When she has cervical fluid (she might notice it on toilet paper or just by using a couple of fingers) that resembles raw egg whites, clear or opaque and very stretchy, as opposed to white and creamy, then thatís a sign ovulation is on its way. And itís free to check!
    Last edited by Celepie; 11-02-2018 at 2:26 AM.
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 11th Feb 18, 2:24 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Celepie
    Oh as for often, if you have a normal
    sperm count, every day during fertile period is fine. If sperm count is lower, every other day is sometimes recommended.

We have sex in a non organised fashion up until there!!!8217;s a positive OPK and then we do it three nights in a row, have a night off, and have one more !!!8216;go!!!8217; before going back to a less regimented schedule!

Some people do every other night for a whole month but that is far too exhausting for me. And if you (or rather your fianc!) can get a feel for her cycle and know when her body is gearing up to ovulate, then there!!!8217;s no need to go too extreme.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 11th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Hi ladies the confusion continues,

Today I am cycle day 32, last month was a 30 day cycle after having my coil removed.

So I tested on Wednesday with a FRER which was the earliest I could test, negative which I was expecting, I had positive OPKs on cycle day 19 so I am assuming I Ovd around cycle day 20 which would put me about 12 dpo at the moment, tested today as Ovia suggested and a very clear negative result.

Now I am a hopeful person and will cling on to the very last bit of hope possible but I just don!!!8217;t think the symptoms are in my head, my boobs have been sore and continue to be sore and swollen, this is a typical AF sign for me, but it doesn!!!8217;t usually last this long my boobs have been sore for nearly 10 days now! Also I have one boob that is slightly smaller than the other and when they do swell the difference remains the same but my smaller boobs has swelled and is bigger than my bigger boob now which I!!!8217;ve never noticed before. I noticed because me and my partner always joke because my boobs do get obviously bigger around AF time and that is not my usual look. He also commented on how heavy they felt after some BDing and this was not prompting by me asking him. Sorry for tmi.

Yesterday morning I had a hot flush and wave of nausea to the point where I ran to the toilet and was so close to being sick, this isn!!!8217;t normal for me at all. Felt a bit dodgy for around 20 minutes but then was completely fine.

I!!!8217;ve also had back pain, a dull ache, but I wouldn!!!8217;t know if this is a typical AF sign after coil removal as it!!!8217;s only been just over a month.

I mean I am assuming I Ovd on cycle day 20 which as I said would put me at 12 dpo but surely if I were pregnant they would start turning positive by now? But all this can!!!8217;t be in my head surely, I feel like I!!!8217;ve gone nuts!

What!!!8217;s your views ladies? Hope you are all well xx
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 11th Feb 18, 12:45 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Celepie
    You could be earlier on than you think. A positive OPK doesn't always mean that ovulation will definitely occur. You can get the surge and then your body delay ovulation for whatever reason (stress, ill health, just for high jinks) and you actually ovulate a few days later. Also everyone produces HcG at a different rate. What test did you use? Pick up a First Response Early Result if you can - they're the gold standard, really. Pricey but worth it. Blue dye tests are often less sensitive and prone to evaps.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 11th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    I have found since stopping the pill that my cycles and symptoms have varied month to month. As you have only recently had your coil out it may be hormones? Although obviously I am hoping it is good news for you! I Personally I would just keep testing everyday until AF arrives.

I had a flashing smiley this morning. I am wondering if I maybe did ovulate yesterday/overnight and I may have missed the surge to get my static, so now it has just changed to a flashing (it had been a circle before). I know it is possible to go straight from circle to static and miss out the flashing so I am presuming if you miss the surge and don't get the static it would then just show as a flashing. I hope I didn't OV yesterday as OH is struck down with man flu so there has been do BD since Weds and I suspect there will be none for another couple of days, so that would definitely put us out for this month. Last month I got my static smiley on CD20 so hoping this flashing is just in prep for that (CD17 today!). Not feeling optimistic about this month at all
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 11th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

CD99 Nanyco
    CD32 KatieBee123
    CD30 CamelLady (17dpo)
    CD28 athensgeorgia
    CD22 Toots14 (8dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD22 SlothSocks
    CD17 PrettyKittyKat
    CD17 Celepie
    CD14 Rambosmum
    CD10 T4Taylor
    CD9 Selement

CD5 Zeni

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • FlowerGirl27
    • By FlowerGirl27 11th Feb 18, 10:15 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    FlowerGirl27
    May I join you please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin