Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 189
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 10th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Hope everyone is well

I'm just delurking to say my OH took zinc and selenium but they aren't necessarily needed skimper
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    Mortgage - £158.500.00 (2017/2018 O/P £3491.79) PAYDBX 17 - £18,442.82
    PAYDBX 18 #006 £3850.92/£4000
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD67 Nanyco
    CD19 SlothSocks

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD24 Zeni
    CD18 PrettyKittyKat
    CD11 Afoolandhermoney

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD15 Celepie
    CD16 Toots14
    CD8 Selement
    CD4 T4Taylor

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Afoolandhermoney I hope we have just missed the surge. Still flashing today, I think I have given up on getting a static! Still BDing every other day, so will stick to this and hope it has worked!

HappyLassie - I have taken you off, I hope all is ok.
    • wifeforlife
    • By wifeforlife 10th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,789 Thanks
    wifeforlife
    Hey everyone

Coil removal went ok on Monday - I know I was told no BD but to be honest I don't care about timing, so we did on Sunday night, but since then DH hasn't been interested. I've been reading so much online this last few months, and know there's a good chance of super fertility when getting the mirena out.

So far I've no spotting or any symptoms since it was removed so just waiting for AF in the next few weeks now.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 10th Jan 18, 8:15 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Evening everyone,

Took another test this morning, was negative again as expected but you can!!!8217;t help but hope I suppose! Had some cramping tonight and a bit of bloody discharge sorry for the tmi! I!!!8217;ll just be pleased when I come on properly and I can start looking forward to trying properly next month and have a better understanding of where I am in my cycle!

Wifeforlife - were you told not to BD after coil removal?

Hope everyone is ok x
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 10th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Celepie
    Hi all!

Sorry to hear about negative, KatieBee, but fingers crossed for you for next cycle!

Still waiting for OPK to peak. Had some slight pain and cramping in that area so think I will be ovulating soon, but so darned impatient. Judging from last few cycles, it's probably another couple of days yet.

Amazon are doing 3 for 2 on vitamins, so I've just bought a selection of conception and pregnancy ones. I thought about just getting conception ones but decided to be positive and get some pregnancy ones to keep in stock just in case (although I'm sure the ingredients are almost identical!)
    Last edited by Celepie; 10-01-2018 at 9:13 PM.
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 10th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Toots14
    Can I be put in the 2ww. 3dpo please.

Nothing to report and don't think we will have caught this month!
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 11th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Morning everyone,

Celepie thanks for that info - I might look into getting some more vitamins as only on the folic acid at the mo.

Pkk My period finished yesterday so can I please be moved into if in doubt.

Does anyone else constantly calculate 9 months ahead, e.g if I caught this month my due date would be around 10th October? I really don!!!8217;t mind when my baby is born and have read positives and negatives for all times of the year. I started off wanting a September born (I used to be a teacher and both my husband and I have birthdays then), then my friend said there!!!8217;s a chance they could be an August prem, as her son was, so Oct, Nov is more secure for still being old in the school year. Then I thought Christmas would be lovely, but also a pain for their birthday. I recently read an article which said how hard the no sleep was and getting up earlier when the sun rises later so that suggested spring onwise is better. In actual fact summer would be best to tie in with my maternity pay and current job!

Oh well, what will be will be, and I!!!8217;ll be happy with a baby at any time, but preferably ASAP!
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 11th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    HappyLassie hope everything is ok, and that you aren't away from us too long

fingers crossed Katie and Celepie

T4 - not just you, I'm all over those due date calculators! Ovia reckons that if I have caught this cycle that my due date will be between Sept 30th and Oct 4th - that would be perfect for the school year (and unlikely to be so prem that it would be a late Aug baby), but mostly would be great for not trying too long

Don't think we've caught this month though - cheapie OPK read as negative yesterday morning following static smiley on CB on Monday, so that and the sharp pains Tuesday suggests I did OV. Can you put me in the two week wait please PKK?
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 11th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Celepie
    Does anyone else constantly calculate 9 months ahead, e.g if I caught this month my due date would be around 10th October? I really donít mind when my baby is born and have read positives and negatives for all times of the year. I started off wanting a September born (I used to be a teacher and both my husband and I have birthdays then), then my friend said thereís a chance they could be an August prem, as her son was, so Oct, Nov is more secure for still being old in the school year. Then I thought Christmas would be lovely, but also a pain for their birthday. I recently read an article which said how hard the no sleep was and getting up earlier when the sun rises later so that suggested spring onwise is better. In actual fact summer would be best to tie in with my maternity pay and current job!
    I absolutely do this!

I have a conference in September that I've been asked to present at. Normally fine, no problem. But there's a little voice that says 'If you get pregnant this month or next, you will be heavily pregnant by the end of Sept and probably won't want to travel and go'.

I also think a bit about a Christmas baby and the birthday thing. I know some people stop trying in March and April but I'm not sure I will be able to In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, and seeing some friends and family have so many problems conceiving, I feel a bit guilty for even thinking about trying to plan for certain months.
    • selement
    • By selement 11th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    selement
    It all got a bit real for me when ovia first said if I got pregnant what date the baby would be due!
    There are pros and cons to all months, but I am planning to not try quite so hard march/April to avoid December or January birthday. If I'm still trying by next year I definately won't care!
    If we are successful this month it'll be October which I think would be pretty good. So far this month we keep feeling tired and poorly which isn't great for BD
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 11th Jan 18, 8:47 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD68 Nanyco
    CD20 SlothSocks
    CD17 Toots14

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD25 Zeni
    CD19 PrettyKittyKat
    CD12 Afoolandhermoney
    CD5 T4Taylor

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD16 Celepie
    CD9 Selement

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Jan 18, 6:30 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Yestersay was the highest fertility day on Ovia (fertility period ends tomorrow). My CB advanced as still flashing, which I was disappointed about so I decided to just go with Ovia and BD and assume I ovulated yesterday so to try and BD last and for the next 2 days like the SMEP says.

Then this morning... I FINALLY got a static!!!! So Ovia is pretty much accurate for me this month it seems!

That has renewed my motivation for this cycle now... best warn the husband it's going to be a busy weekend hahaha
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 12th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    Then this morning... I FINALLY got a static!!!! So Ovia is pretty much accurate for me this month it seems!
    Originally posted by PrettyKittyKat
    PKK I've never used these so bear with me. Does the static means you have already OV or you are due to OV?
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 12th Jan 18, 10:34 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Celepie
    Hi everyone!

Could you move me to the BD zone, please? I'm in my fertile week, apparently...

My app says I'm due to ovulate in two days' time, but I can be a bit irregular so I'm peeing on cheapy OPK sticks like there's no tomorrow! Line has been darker last 24 hours but still neg on digital and not as dark as control line. Will try again this afternoon.

Good luck, Kitty!
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 12th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Celepie
    Does the static means you have already OV or you are due to OV?
    I think the static means you have reached the peak of your LH surge so will ovulate in next 12-36 hours.
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 12th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Great news PKK

athensgeorgia - a static on the CB advanced tests means that you are having a lutenising hormone (LH) surge - which means OV will *probably* be in the next 12-36 hours
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 12th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Celepie
    Just tested again and got a positive on cheapy OPK stick and static smiley on digital.

I'm way more excited than I should be. It's good to know my body is doing what it should be in a way!
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 12th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    a static on the CB advanced tests means that you are having a lutenising hormone (LH) surge - which means OV will *probably* be in the next 12-36 hours
    Originally posted by afoolandhermoney
    Ah I understand now why everyone is so happy to see a static.
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 12th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Celepie
    I'm actually finding this whole process really interesting. I never really knew much about my cycle other than the dealing with my period part, but I just read Taking Charge of your Fertility and am much more aware now of all the things my body is doing. I've always lamented that I don't know when my period is going to turn up and it turns up when I'm not expecting it/have no warning, but now I've learned about all the various signs and changes in my body, I feel like I'll always know when to expect it now. So even in a non-TTC sense, knowing about your cycle and how your body changes during it is really useful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,269Posts Today

7,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin