Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 187
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Thanks for the advice afoolandhermoney. It is useful to know how many flashing you got before the static so thank you for sharing. I am sure it is different for everyone, or even each month but I like having comparisons! We are Bding every other day at the minute, hoping we can keep that up till ovulation!
    • CraftySaver2689
    • By CraftySaver2689 5th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    CraftySaver2689
    So I got a strange reading on my ovulation tester today I got a happy face instead of just a circle which would be good however I did the test then forgot to check maybe left like 10 minutes and it was totally blank so I pulled the stick out and put it back in and got a smiley face so I!!!8217;m not sure how accurate it was/is
    Will check again tomorrow
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Was it a flashing smiley or a static one craftysaver? The flashing one would go off after 8 mins (I think off the top of my head!) but would come back on for 2 minutes if youtook out then reinserted the stick.
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 5th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    Zeni
    Crafty like pretty said that's totally normal, it will always reshow the result when you take the stick out.

Sloth that is fab news about your IVF appointment hun

Have had a weird old week with both my and my OH ill for different reasons, have inflammed chest cartilage so very painful and not exactly ideal for any BDing bah.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Jan 18, 10:06 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD62 Nanyco
    CD28 T4Taylor

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD19 Zeni

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD14 SlothSocks
    CD13 PrettyKittyKat
    CD10 Celepie
    CD11 Toots14
    CD6 Afoolandhermoney
    CD3 Selement

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)
    CD? HappyLassie13 (AF due 15th)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Zeni - ouch that sounds painful! Do you have medication to help or is it something you just need to rest? I hope you both feel better soon!

Happy Friday everyone!
    • CraftySaver2689
    • By CraftySaver2689 6th Jan 18, 8:20 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    CraftySaver2689
    Yip I have another flashing one this morning to time to start DTD
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    I wrote a post and then my internet crashed and I lost it! Grrr... I'll try again

CraftySaver - Enjoy! I got a 2nd flashing this morning too! I am hoping to get a static one tomorrow but I have a feeling it will come Monday or Tuesday once we are back at work.

Those that have used the CB advance ovulation tests - can you use them twice a day (ie first thing and in the afternoon) once you get a flashing?

I read online that you should test once day with your first urine, however once you get high fertility you can test more frequent. I am thinking this is because it is now looking for your surge? I also read that the surge is more likely to be detected early afternoon... so I am wondering whether to test this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon also so I can catch the surge as soon as possible? However, I also don't want to mess it all up! This is the first month I have taken an interest in all this so if I am wrong on anything please correct me!
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 6th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Celepie
    Good luck to everyone in the zone this weekend!

Not much to report here, just waiting for signs of impending ovulation. I've started peeing on OPKs (CB digital). I doubt I'll ovulate for another five days at least based on cycle lengths, but given mine can be irregular, I'd rather test too soon than too late! Not sure if this helps, Kitty, but I've been testing afternoon about 4ish. Like you, I read that surges tend to show up afternoon/evening so FMU often isn't the best indicator, unlike for HCG. If you're doing afternoon, try not to pee for 3-4 hours beforehand. When I get nearer to what I think will be ovulation time, I will be testing afternoon and evening - maybe about 4ish and about 9 or 10.
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 6th Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Celepie
    I've been trying to be more aware of what my body is doing, so I'm super aware at the moment of niggles and pains and things. I have a slight pain around my left ovary - it's too early to be ovulation pain, so I'm not sure what else it might be. Follicle growing? Trying to remember all the various stages

This is my first cycle taking conception vitamins too and I know some people have reported slightly different cycles when on them, so I'm torn between the rational side of me saying your cycle is never under 30 days and usually is nearer 32-33 so you won't ovulate for good few days and the crazy person side saying THE VITAMINS HAVE TAKEN OVER! YOU COULD BE FERTILE RIGHT NOW. Send help I think I'll make sure we DTD tonight anyway JUST IN CASE.
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 6th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Hi ladies,
    Today AF is due and she!!!8217;s not here...
    Also tested this morning and BFN.
    So therefore not pregnant and not-not pregnant. Helpful.
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 6th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Toots14
    I got a positive OPK today and my tracker says I should OV tomorrow. When I fell pregnant with my first we DTD day before and day after OV. I really need to order some more conceive plus as we fell pregnant using that last time and the stuff I have is 5 months out of date. Not really sure if they go out of date but better not use it!

Hi to all the newbies. Hope your stay is short and sweet.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD63 Nanyco
    CD29 T4Taylor

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD20 Zeni

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD15 SlothSocks
    CD14 PrettyKittyKat
    CD11 Celepie
    CD12 Toots14
    CD7 Afoolandhermoney
    CD4 Selement

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)
    CD? HappyLassie13 (AF due 15th)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Celepie - hmm the only problem with testing in the afternoon for me will be not going to the toilet for 3-4 hours! I drink 3-4 litres of water a day so I go the toilet quite regularly. We are planning to BD tonight anyway as following the SMEP so BDing every ther day until ovulation. I might just throw in an extra BD tomorrow eve for good measure! hahaha

\Toots14 - I have been wondering whether to try any supplements to help TTC. I am only taking folic acid at the minute. It sounds like conceive plus worked well for you last time, did you take anything else?

What supplements does everyone take, or do you take none?
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 6th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Celepie
    Me and OH are on the his and hers Pregnacare Conception vits. I think taking them is OH's one concession to this madness! Amazon do a Subscribe and Save but I am being positive and, in the words of my OH, believing we will 'one-shot' it so I don't need a monthly supply.

I hear you on the toilet thing ! I am a frequent weer because I drink so much bloody tea. Trying not to drink tea too late at night as I then need to go in middle of night, which then wakes dog up, etc.... Of course I'm typing this having just made a cup of tea
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 6th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Celepie
    Hi ladies,
    Today AF is due and she’s not here...
    Also tested this morning and BFN.
    So therefore not pregnant and not-not pregnant. Helpful.
    Originally posted by T4taylor
    Eek! Fingers crossed for you!

I got a positive OPK today and my tracker says I should OV tomorrow. When I fell pregnant with my first we DTD day before and day after OV. I really need to order some more conceive plus as we fell pregnant using that last time and the stuff I have is 5 months out of date. Not really sure if they go out of date but better not use it!

Hi to all the newbies. Hope your stay is short and sweet.
    Originally posted by Toots14
    Ooh Conceive Plus sounds interesting! Will put it on my list of things to research. Is that the same kind of thing as pre-seed?
    • selement
    • By selement 6th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    selement
    Celepie - hmm the only problem with testing in the afternoon for me will be not going to the toilet for 3-4 hours! I drink 3-4 litres of water a day so I go the toilet quite regularly. We are planning to BD tonight anyway as following the SMEP so BDing every ther day until ovulation. I might just throw in an extra BD tomorrow eve for good measure! hahaha

\Toots14 - I have been wondering whether to try any supplements to help TTC. I am only taking folic acid at the minute. It sounds like conceive plus worked well for you last time, did you take anything else?

What supplements does everyone take, or do you take none?
    Originally posted by PrettyKittyKat
    I'm only taking supermarket own brand folic acid, the pregnacare stuff is expensive!
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 6th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Toots14
    I take seven seas folic acid. I took pregnacare last time round but it gave me such bad nausea when i was pregnant it's put me off it!

Conceive plus is a sperm friendly lube. No idea if it helps but I'm not discounting it either! Expensive though.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 7th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,776 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    With DS OH took Pregnacare + her 5mg folic tablets before and after falling pregnant

With this one she just took her folic acid and a Vit D supplement. But she started taking a cheaper Pregnacare type supplement after becoming pregnant - she's been really of her food and lost weight so needed the extra boost.

Generally I think advice is that you only Vit D - as people are often deficient in it especially this time of year - and Folic because of its role in reducing the risk of neural tube defects.

That's why it's important to start taking Folic as soon as possible - because the neural tube forms very early - first few weeks - so can't wait til a positive pregnancy test to start.

I didnt take anything - however when we first started trying we made a meal plan for the month to ensure we were eating healthily and we've stuck to that ever since - it's really helped us with DS too

You only need take other vitamins if you are deficient in them for some reason - like poor diet. That said its still very tempting to take them just to plug any gap in nutrients that you didn't realise you had.

Beware though that too much of some minerals like iron can really exacerbate things like constipation - which is very common in pregnancy anyway!
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 07-01-2018 at 7:34 AM.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 7th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Gah! Cd1 for me. No wine as dry January but plenty of choc and going out for a roast later.

Interesting to hear about everyone!!!8217;s supplements- I!!!8217;m only on folic acid at the mo xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,762Users online

Martin's Twitter