Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 186
    • wifeforlife
    • By wifeforlife 1st Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,789 Thanks
    wifeforlife

Wifeforlife- welcome! How exciting that you are ready for number 3! How old are you other two children? I donít know much about the coil but just had a quick google and it seems they advise no BD for 5 days before as sperm can live for 5 days and you can become pregnant as soon as the coil is removed (dependant on when you have ovulated).
    Originally posted by PrettyKittyKat
    Thank you so much for a warm welcome - I'm still learning the lingo so I'll get some things wrong for a while. My kids are 14 and 8 so well up now, and that's the reason we're hoping for 2 very close together, however I'm 36 and realistic to how hard it can be to conceive never mind after long term contraception.

It's a bit weird that you remove the coil to conceive and then they tell you not to BD incase you may be successful I'll have a quick google and read up.
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 2nd Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    so many new people on this thread - welcome skimper, T4, Celepie, wifeforlife and craftysaver (sorry if I missed anyone).

Congratulations Dot - how are you feeling?

PKK - you asked about when to start using OPKs - it will depend on your cycle (clearblue suggest from CD5 for short cycles but later for longer ones, and recommend you take the shortest of your last two cycles to work out when to start using the sticks)

Nancyo - I hope you get an answer soon - it does take a while for things to settle down after you stop hormonal contraception but I would suggest you see your GP if there's nothing either way by the end of the month
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 2nd Jan 18, 11:06 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    nancyo
    Thanks ladies, I have an appointment with gyne next week for a different matter, abnormal smear so I may mention this long cycle too.
    I have never had a cycle this long, thinking it's just a hormonal imbalance though after stopping the pill.

I had a bit of pain last Night, period like cramps but still nothing !!!129300;
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 2nd Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    nancyo - hopefully the cramps are a good sign (either AF on her way or OV perhaps?) Good luck with the gyne next week, fingers crossed there's nothing to worry about on your smear
    • Dot.1991
    • By Dot.1991 2nd Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Dot.1991
    Hi all
    Happy new year and Welcome to all the newbies, this group is lovely and supportive. No question is silly.

Mm McDonald's chips after dtd, I think that one is definitely a theory worth trying out!! !!!128523;

Nancy- sorry for all the uncertainty it must be so frustrating. Hopefully gyne can give you some answers next week.

PKK- must be annoying when people ask just because you're married. People shouldn't ask or presume either.
    OH Dad back in hospital, I went to visit yesterday and he says we need to get married so baby isn't born out of wedlock !!!128580; He's very traditional catholic, I've told him weddings are too stressful to plan and maybe after we've had baby. Suppose everyone wants an opinion!

Did you use your CB ov tests today? I know it's important for it to have base data. I used them for 2 cycles and started them on the earlier side of my average cycle length. If you did take them to inlaws maybe you could do it just before you have a shower so that nobody is wondering why you are in the bathroom for a while!!

Afool- thank you I'm so far feeling fine just hungrier. I've carried on POAS for reassurance and all seems well, just hoping everything goes smoothly.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 3rd Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    PKK id still like to be on the list also please AF is due on the 15th, I!!!8217;m unsure what CD that makes me, sorry for not being helpful on that matter.
    Had a little bleed on Monday, but just the one and nothing else.
    • selement
    • By selement 3rd Jan 18, 7:27 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    selement
    Morning
    CD1 for me today
    I expected this though, hoping for better luck next month

This means I've had a 29 day cycle and 30 day cycle. I'm pleased they are at least similar so far! A small variation is probably best I can hope for having never been like clockwork
    Last edited by selement; 03-01-2018 at 7:34 AM.
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • slothsocks
    • By slothsocks 3rd Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    slothsocks
    Hi everyone!

Welcome to the newbies skimper, T4, Celepie, wifeforlife and craftysaver

Massive congratulations Dot, sorry I missed your announcement.

Sorry I've been MIA for a couple of weeks, I've been trying to not obsess and give myself a break over Christmas, which was rather difficult as we had our IVF appointment!! We've had our virology blood tests, picked up the drugs and we will be starting next cycle which means we'll be 'trying' March/ April. I see that's the time that everyone else wants to avoid TTC but I'm just hoping to end up with a baby and don't really give a fig when.

Not sure how I feel. Scared. Excited. Impatient. Poor!

Thanks for doing the lists PKK. I seem to have fallen off the list but I'm currently day 12 if you wouldn't mind adding me back on. Awaiting O but lots of ewcm so hopefully it won't be long. Last chance to make a baby the old fashioned way...
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 3rd Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Hi Slothsocks - exciting news about your IVF (love the phrase "the old fashioned way" )

I also don't mind when a baby arrives - I'm a March birthday and always feel a bit jealous of friends with December birthdays as at least at that time of year people are up for going out and celebrating (even if its a bit overshadowed by a certain someone else's birthday), but trying to get anyone to come out in early March when they're still skint from xmas, or have given up fun for Lent is really difficult. I guess there's a pros and cons to whenever your birthday is.

AF is on her last legs today so hopefully some BDing in the right window this month (though hubby is full of man-flu today and I think I may be getting something too - tonsils feel like golfballs this morning) - hopefully we'll be recovered by the time I get a smiley (back to POAS tomorrow).
    • skimper
    • By skimper 3rd Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    skimper
    afoolandhermoney - Try having a Jan 10th Birthday, no chance of a Nightout. This year were opting for a board games night.

Still waiting AF to arrive its been 1 week & 4 days since coming off the pill. Thankfully I haven't had any symptoms yet. Feels longer than that but maybe i'm just being impatient now I've decided to come off rather than just forgetting to take it.
    • selement
    • By selement 3rd Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    selement
    afoolandhermoney - Try having a Jan 10th Birthday, no chance of a Nightout. This year were opting for a board games night.

Still waiting AF to arrive its been 1 week & 4 days since coming off the pill. Thankfully I haven't had any symptoms yet. Feels longer than that but maybe i'm just being impatient now I've decided to come off rather than just forgetting to take it.
    Originally posted by skimper
    It took mine 8 weeks to come after coming off the pill. I think it's sometimes quicker than that but just so you are prepared it might be a bit of a wait!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 3rd Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    skimper
    Yeah I'm prepared for a wait. Tbh 8 weeks would be perfect as it would be just before the wedding haha.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 3rd Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Hi everyone, can I join for support?
    I joined around 2 years ago thinking we were only weeks away from trying but various situations meant plans were put on hold! I!!!8217;m literally so excited but don!!!8217;t want to overwhelm my partner with all my feelings and emotions, after having my IUD removed at the beginning of the week it!!!8217;s all I can think about!
    I!!!8217;m not expecting any miracles this month as due on at some point next week.
    Good luck to everyone !!!55357;!!!56835;
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 4th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    skimper - January is probably the most sucky month to have a birthday, but I'm too old to start ruling out whole months of trying just to get the "ideal" birthday

Welcome KatieBee123 - I'm so glad this forum gives me somewhere to talk about my feelings as we TTC without overwhelming DH
    • slothsocks
    • By slothsocks 4th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    slothsocks
    Welcome KatieBee, this forum is a lifeline for me too. Somewhere to safely let the crazy out!

I think there are caveats with any birthday month really. I don't like to rule out whole months of trying in case that one's the good egg!

I'm CD13 and feeling a bit bloated and sore, so hoping to O in the next few days. We DTD last night. I think having the IVF lined up has taken the pressure off a bit. I don't feel as anxious to make sure were doing everything at the right times.
    • selement
    • By selement 4th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    selement
    Yeah I understand not being fussy about birthdays... I can afford to avoid march/april this year but if I'm still ttc next year I'll be trying hard whatever the month!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 4th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD61 Nanyco
    CD27 T4Taylor

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD18 Zeni

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD13 SlothSocks
    CD12 PrettyKittyKat
    CD9 Celepie
    CD10 Toots14
    CD5 Afoolandhermoney
    CD2 Selement

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)
    CD? HappyLassie13 (AF due 15th)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 4th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Wow lots of activity since I was last on!

Welcome CraftySaver and KatieBee123. I hope your stay is short. Everyone is lovely here and I think it is so nice to have similar minded people to chat to it about. When you are ready and want to go on the lists just let me know.

Wifeforlife Ė I am still learning all the different terms and acronyms! If there are any that I am unsure of I just google it and it tends to come straight up.

Nancyo Ė I hope the gyne app is nothing serious and they can offer some advice on this long cycle.

Dot.1991 Ė Ah I didnít think of using a shower as a cover! I didnít take them, and I wish I had not as I forgot they had moved into a slightly bigger house so we had plenty of privacy. Nevermind. I did a CB ov test on CD10 and today (CD12) and both are circle, so I think it hasnít affected anything missing a day. I am glad you are feeling well

Slothsocks Ė Back on the lists. I just started them again with it being a new year. How exciting that you are starting the IVF! Make sure you keep us updated, sending you lots of baby dust!

HappyLassie13 Ė I have popped you on the list awaiting your AF on 15th. The first day of AF is CD1. If you know what day you are on now let me know and Iíll add you straight on, otherwise just confirm when your CD1 is (i.e when AF arrives) and Iíll update it. I often loose track but the Ovia app tells me the CD so I check that.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Jan 18, 8:23 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    First flashing smiley on the CB test this morning! This is much earlier than I expected. I'm hoping ai get the static smiley this weekend rather than during the week as BDing will be easier over the weekend than when we go back to work!
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 5th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    PKK - great news on the flashy smiley just in time for the weekend. Last month I had three of them before a static one - I would BD over the weekend anyway so there's lots of little swimmers waiting for that egg

I'm CD6 today, still a blank circle on CB, starting testing early so as not to miss it in case this is another short cycle; but if its the same as last month I can expect a flashy smiley on CD10 and static on CD13 - just about got enough sticks left in the box for that but will have to buy another pack if I'm "running late" ifkwim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,032Users online

Martin's Twitter