Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Apr 16, 11:31 AM
    • 1,548Posts
    • 8,378Thanks
    MandM90
    Budget Mattress
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:31 AM
    Budget Mattress 7th Apr 16 at 11:31 AM
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a mattress, but I'm on a budget. I was looking at this one which has 1000 pocket springs and a 1 year guarantee. Looking for a firm-ish mattress. To be honest I'm not too fussy about mattresses (I can sleep pretty much anywhere or on anything), but our old open sprung mattress is bothering my OH. Mattress man is highly rated on trustpilot and I thought this might be a quick fix until we have the money for something a bit better. I see Mattressman also have 6% cashback currently so the mattress would be under 190.

I could probably stretch to this one from Warren Evans for 296, at a push, but it would mean taking out of my already dwindling emergency/home maintenance fund or delaying some debt payments I wanted to make and I worry about a slippery slope financially. We bought our bed from WE in flusher times and I'm so very pleased by it which is why I thought to look.

Any thoughts? Can anyone recommend any independent retailers?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by MandM90; 07-04-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Apr 16, 11:34 AM
    • 13,222 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:34 AM
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:34 AM
    I would not buy a bed without trying it first. You've said you can sleep anywhere but by the sounds of it your OH can't.

I would also take reviews on TP with a pinch of salt, they are easy to manipulate.

Have you had a look at your own indie shops locally? What about an outlet centre such as John Lewis in Swindon? http://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops/swindon-outlet
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 07-04-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 7th Apr 16, 11:39 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:39 AM
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:39 AM
    And bear in mind that you spend a long time in bed so having a very cheap one will not be good for your back, Better off spending more on a decent one that suits you.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Apr 16, 11:41 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 8,378 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:41 AM
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:41 AM
    And bear in mind that you spend a long time in bed so having a very cheap one will not be good for your back, Better off spending more on a decent one that suits you.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    Hi Stevie,

We will invest in a more expensive one further down the line, but unfortunately it's just not an option right now as feeling financially secure is our no. 1 priority (without that we won't get a good nights sleep anyway!)
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Apr 16, 11:42 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 8,378 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:42 AM
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:42 AM
    I would not buy a bed without trying it first. You've said you can sleep anywhere but by the sounds of it your OH can't.

I would also take reviews on TP with a pinch of salt, they are easy to manipulate.

Have you had a look at your own indie shops locally? What about an outlet centre such as John Lewis in Swindon? http://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops/swindon-outlet
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Thanks, that's helpful. I didn't know that JL had outlets! I also have a family member who has got me things from JL for 25% off which I suppose it worth bearing in mind. When I research, lots of people tend to be pushing the idea that I should avoid larger retailers like the plague, though!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Apr 16, 11:47 AM
    • 13,222 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:47 AM
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:47 AM
    Thanks, that's helpful. I didn't know that JL had outlets! I also have a family member who has got me things from JL for 25% off which I suppose it worth bearing in mind. When I research, lots of people tend to be pushing the idea that I should avoid larger retailers like the plague, though!
    Originally posted by MandM90
    There are larger retailers you should steer clear of, but JL wouldn't be one of them. As you have a family member, get them to buy it with their discount. 25% off is not to be sniffed at.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Apr 16, 11:54 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 8,378 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 7th Apr 16, 11:54 AM
    There are larger retailers you should steer clear of, but JL wouldn't be one of them. As you have a family member, get them to buy it with their discount. 25% off is not to be sniffed at.
    I will go and get OH to lie on some beds and see how he feels. They seem to have very generous guarantees, and I've always had good experiences with JLs customer service.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 7th Apr 16, 11:54 AM
    • 3,400 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    I would not buy a bed without trying it first.
    Why? Lying on a bed in a shop is not trying it. IMO the idea you need to lie on a bed before buying these days is old hat.

We bought our mattress online from Factory Beds Direct (John Ryan). It came with a 30 day no quibble return policy though they advise you up front on the most suitable mattress for you.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Apr 16, 12:03 PM
    • 13,222 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Apr 16, 12:03 PM
    • 7th Apr 16, 12:03 PM
    Why? Lying on a bed in a shop is not trying it. IMO the idea you need to lie on a bed before buying these days is old hat.

We bought our mattress online from Factory Beds Direct (John Ryan). It came with a 30 day no quibble return policy though they advise you up front on the most suitable mattress for you.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    Why? Because that is how I prefer to buy. Seeing the bed is as important as to laying on it. Having a 30 day no quibble return is great, but if you have to have it returned, you are still without a bed. See it in the flesh and make a decision. If needs be, hunt it down online after. But, as I said above, that is what I would do.
    • essjae
    • By essjae 7th Apr 16, 2:21 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    essjae
    If you are reasonably close to an Ikea, its worth checking out the mattresses there - they have a pocket sprung one for 200, and I would recommend trying the foam matresses too - cheaper, and personally I find them much more comfortable.
    25 year guarantee on all of them, and they are packed in a roll so you can take them home in a car the same day.
    • Easterville
    • By Easterville 15th Jun 16, 11:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Easterville
    Could help others...
    Hello, you may now have your mattress but for others thinking about buying a firm mattress in the future I have recently bought this mattress; landofbeds.co.uk/sleepeezee/mattress/amethyst-1000
    I've bought a few Sleepeezee's in the past and am very happy with this one too, however I do admit to owning a JL one as well. But this Sleepeezee is a lovely firm yet comfortable model and a great low price
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    • marc81
    • By marc81 15th Jun 16, 1:08 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    marc81
    We've been very happy with our Silent Night Essentials Pocket Memory 1000 since we bought it a few years ago and it didn't break the bank. I'm sure we bought it from here...

http://www.furniturechoice.co.uk/Bedroom-Furniture/Mattresses/Pocket-Sprung-Mattresses/Double-Pocket-Sprung-Mattresses/Silentnight-Pocket-Essentials-1000-Memory-Double-Mattress_504663.htm
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 15th Jun 16, 1:46 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Wassa123
    I have a cheapo open spring mattress...
    Just put a foam topper on it from pound stretcher. Works wonders!

But like you, the missus is complaining
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 15th Jun 16, 2:17 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    I bought a cheap mattress online once, it turned up and was so hard I had major back/shoulder pain everytime I woke up. In fact when I placed it on the bed I jumped on it (as you do) and promptly bounced back off!

Previously I've had extremely expensive (to me) beds, water beds costing a few k, a sprung/memory one from dreams that was 1500 but I really didn't want to spend that this time.

So I took a chance and ordered a Hypnia 8 inch memory foam mattress, it was 160, looking at price now (this was a few years ago) its 260 but I'd say it is the best mattress I've ever owned. I keep it on the frame that was under the waterbed which is totally perfect (you could make your own out of plywood/chipboard).

Seriously though, best nights sleep ever, the pain went immediately. I travel a lot and always look forward to my own bed. I'm embarrassed to say when I was dating I did have quite a number of 'guests' but always got comments on how good the bed was. Sadly just the bed.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 9th Nov 16, 9:39 AM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Memory foam is the way to go. My kids both have silent night 5 zone memory foam mattresses (From Costco) and love them.

This one occasionally dips down in price below 150 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silentnight-7-Zone-Memory-Rolled-Mattress/dp/B008I1E2OS

If you use camelcamelcamel you can set an alert for price dips.

OR.. go for a traditional mattress and add a separate memory foam topper. We bought a king size one in the summer, and the quality of my sleep is far, far better. By using a separate topper you can then flip both the mattress, and rotate the topper.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,595Posts Today

8,159Users online

Martin's Twitter