Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 3,045Posts
    • 20,777Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 37
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 19th Dec 19, 11:58 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Sounds an amazing space you’ve created and so restrained at putting extra items in. Very impressive.

Enjoy your Christmas!! With no builders

Brizzle x
    DFW - pay it ALL off in 2020 MFW..aim for Dec 2023 2020 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 25% December 66% November 21% August Jan Goals: AFDs 05/25 Decluttering 06/60 LSDs 01/10 NSDs 01/05 Jan Exercise RT xxk xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 1st Jan 20, 8:45 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 13,219 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Happy new year PF
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Happy New Year!
    DFW - pay it ALL off in 2020 MFW..aim for Dec 2023 2020 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 25% December 66% November 21% August Jan Goals: AFDs 05/25 Decluttering 06/60 LSDs 01/10 NSDs 01/05 Jan Exercise RT xxk xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Jan 20, 10:20 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Happy Nw Year you lovely lot. It's been a few weeks since my last post and much has been happening! Today feels like first day of normality as small back at school. I've chased a refund today that's over due since mid December! I've still got those tiles to take back too.

Now Christmas is packed away I feel like I can really press on and really get the house straight for the first time since the builders left. 2 rooms need gutting, both have been half done. Need to decide on which one to focus on and press on, I already have lots for the charity shop! There will be a few items to sell too.

I've still not bought anything for the extension, but I do need a pair of curtains so one room becomes usable. I've been on fleabay but not found anything, will look in the charity shop tomorrow when I intend on going in to town. I also need some shelves, but looking to see if there is anything I can repurpose first.

Payday for January has been and gone, all pots have been topped up and looking healthy. But we are aiming for a frugal month none the less, eating from the freezer as a starting point. Veggie sausage and mash for tea for starts. Will update my freezer inventory too to help with this.

I need to read the fine print of a policy to see if I can make a claim, that will be this afternoons job.

Thrilled with what we achieved in the house in 2019 and the transformation. 2020 brings us some challenges on a different front but I'm going to embrace that as an opportunity. We still have more work to do but need to balance frugality with life happening and making memories but also will our bid for long term financial independence. Next job will be to finalise and pay the tax returns. I've done all the input, just need to check and press the button. They won't get the money until the end of the month though!!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Jan 20, 7:20 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I finally got round to blitzing one of the two rooms today. Looks so much better, another 3 items in the charity shop pile too. Will be much more usable going forward.

Cashed out a small amount from £co today and another earlier in the week. Both to a voucher this time as there was 6% bonus and for a shop I use anyway. Will add it to my account so itís not lost.

Refund not received but they have confirmed they have processed it. Will check each day this week and chase again on Friday if not in. Getting the impression they wouldnít have refunded if Iíd not chased.

Made a note of a couple of jobs for next week, need to let insurers know building work has finished and also contact electric board about upgrading our master electric board as recommended by the electrician

Have submitted meter readings online today. Gas estimate was out but electric was about right. Weíre in credit so not too worried also the last 2 months weíve been heating a house that is effectively twice the size of before so I canít reasonably expect the cost not to increase. Still paying £25 month less than I was with old provider and current provider is all green too

Small food shop done for the week and bi monthly wholesale run. Still hoping on January being frugal, so far so good. Avoided the coffee shop in town today, no cash spent. Smalls spent some Christmas vouchers instead.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Jan 20, 2:10 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    All sounding excellent PF...really good.

Hows the running going? I have been slow to go out this month but am now signed up for a 10k in the late Spring so best get a shimmy on. Sun back out so may go shortly
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 12th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 10,725 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    Glad all the work is done finally! Hope you had a good Christmas and NY!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £75,299.64
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jan 20, 4:06 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    No running here brizzle unfortunately. It’s been a couple of months and I haven’t been able to run which is frustrating. I’m hoping I’ll be able to get out soon, I’m starting by upping my steps. Hope you are enjoying your runs x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Jan 20, 7:30 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Took a bag to the charity shop and picked up a pair of jeans for £3 whilst I was there. Returned 4 items for £33 back to me. Also made a sale for £85, collected today for cash, no fees so happy with that and a big item gone.

Still have another bag for charity shop, will try and list some stuff on fleabay at some point.

No curtains suitable in cs, May revert to a £5.99 on fleabay to tide us over.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jan 20, 7:59 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 35,439 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I've also been looking for curtains in charity shops, Purple Fairy. No luck yet. I want some for our bedroom, but I haven't seen anything I like to buy new either! All too kiddy, too pastel, too floaty, too old fogey-ish or I just don't like them. Am hoping I won't have to resort to making some. I can make tab-top curtains, but never make a great job of lining them.
    You sound like you are having a good clear out. I've currently got a bag of decluttering on the go for my best friend, one for my sister, one for the charity shop & we've just sold a box of books & DVDs to Ziffit. And of course, the asbestos has gone too. It's a really positive feeling to get rid of clutter, isn't it?
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Jan 20, 9:38 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I've also been looking for curtains in charity shops, Purple Fairy. No luck yet. I want some for our bedroom, but I haven't seen anything I like to buy new either! All too kiddy, too pastel, too floaty, too old fogey-ish or I just don't like them. Am hoping I won't have to resort to making some. I can make tab-top curtains, but never make a great job of lining them.
    You sound like you are having a good clear out. I've currently got a bag of decluttering on the go for my best friend, one for my sister, one for the charity shop & we've just sold a box of books & DVDs to Ziffit. And of course, the asbestos has gone too. It's a really positive feeling to get rid of clutter, isn't it?
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    It certainly does feel good to get stuff gone, the shop I take mine too also let's me know how much the stuff seeks for and I'm always pleasantly surprised, the last bag they made £70 from which is also pleasing. I've another bag to go but I couldn't carry it all in one go, so will take the rest in next week but I'll be on the look out between now and then for anything else to go in it.

We've slowly put the stuff in our new kitchen from our old which means we've been able to see what we really use and what we think we use, which has helped us ditch some stuff too.

In other news I got a PPI reclaim paid to me last night which I wasn't expecting : have moved that straight to savings
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Jan 20, 5:57 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Yesterday was another productive day. I made:
    Muesli
    A cake
    Sausage rolls
    Chickenless curry (with left overs)
    Hummus
    And roasted some chicken pieces whilst oven was on

That'll sort packed lunches for next week and snacks for now. If I have time today I'll make some GF scones and crumpets (and freeze some). Used all stuff we had in which was good and decluttered another tub from our old kitchen

Will research a potato hash recipe online and batch make and freeze some of these as an alternative for smalls tea occasionally I think.

Friend gave me large bag of clothes for one of the smalls

Need to contact broadband provider as we've got a new router and they've sent me an e mail with a charge on it I didn't agree too
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 16th Jan 20, 9:27 PM
    • 10,212 Posts
    • 21,300 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Just caught up. Glad you are in the extension and that it is coming together. Love the shopping from home too.
    During 2020: Target 1) £25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to £24,703 Target 2) repay £1450 off (OP £102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 19th Jan 20, 8:51 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Bought some curtains in the end. They did have 20% off so weíre £24 and blackout lined so reasonable considering the quote is had for made to measure

Just need to find the curtain hooks Iíve seen somewhere that I canít remember

Having looked in several shops, I've also decided to use a repurposed jam jar as a toothpaste and toothbrush holder rather than buying a specific Ďthingí for the job. Just couldnít part with £10 or £15 for something that I didnít really like.

Went out for dinner with DH last night as smalls were at an activity. Used a 33% off voucher so very reasonable and no pudding or coffees had a chat whilst we were there about furniture in the extension and weíre going to repurpose 2 units from the lounge to a) free up space in there and b) mean we donít have to buy new and can shop from home. We will need one small replacement but it will be cheaper than buying all new for the extension. I may move one of them today if I get chance.

Iíll need to make a seat for one of the items so it can be used as a bench, but can buy foam cut to size on the local market and Iíll sew the case for it to go in.

Just under 2 weeks until payday and accounts looking ok.

Off to make crumpets as no doubt the smalls will be hungry after swimming.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Jan 20, 9:00 AM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 48,128 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    What an amazing idea about the jamjar in the bathroom. Thank you - I'm definitely stealing it
    NST January #10 NSD = 10 Pay all your debt off by 2020 #56 £832.98/£10000
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 21st Jan 20, 12:52 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Steal away cat also liking that I can just wash it in the DW too when needed

Have repurposed a utensil jar I wasnít using for my brush and scourer thingy - more shopping from home.

A cushion and c10 books found there way to the charity shop pile whilst I was moving some furniture about. Looks so much better already. More furniture shuffling later in the week.

Room two finally tidied and some declutter gone. There is still some more decluttering that can happen in that room but it can wait for now. At least it looks clean, tidy and presentable for now.

Thinking of TT the main account each day again. Just need to get past the mortgage account not ending in a zero like it does how

Mind is working a bit of overtime so going to research some stuff whilst itís going
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 21st Jan 20, 1:02 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Just TT main account. Definitely better to see balance come down than a zero at the end I think
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 22nd Jan 20, 10:09 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 20,777 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Another £4.10 TT from the main account. All other accounts balanced and up to date. Do need to finalise DH tax return this week, job for later.

Planning on taking item back for a refund today and dropping back of items off at charity shop and going to health food store for some items whilst in town. Have a small shopping list from sm too.

Popping to diy shop to price up shelving and then can compare will online prices, haven't found anything to repurpose as yet.

Will look at setting up a spreadsheet for part 2 of mortgage to see how much we op to get a month off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,490Users online

Martin's Twitter