Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,421Posts
    • 16,441Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 28
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th Oct 18, 4:58 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 18,190 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Great news on your DH's job, a reliable salary (and holiday pay) seems very sensible if it's just doing the same work for the same people anyway!

Also exciting re the builder - ours has just given us a provisional date (six months away, but still exciting) and I cannot wait. We still have so much to sort, but it's exciting to feel like we're on the countdown.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: £12,221.27 unsecured debt/£19,940 parental loan/£191,003.72 mortgage = £223,165
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Oct 18, 7:13 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Great news on your DH's job, a reliable salary (and holiday pay) seems very sensible if it's just doing the same work for the same people anyway!

Also exciting re the builder - ours has just given us a provisional date (six months away, but still exciting) and I cannot wait. We still have so much to sort, but it's exciting to feel like we're on the countdown.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    Think it'll be about the same for us date wise, which is good and works for us. Great news on a provisional date
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Oct 18, 7:49 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Pay day tomorrow, so time to do some round ups on the numbers. It's been a good month financially DH wages were good and we've managed to save £250 extra (on top of the normal saving) so today I need to split that in to various pots. I think some of that will go in to the house pot and some to Christmas/birthdays pot which will need a bit extra for the next 12 months as we have a few milestone birthdays coming.

Am looking forward to tomorrow when I can pay more in to the various pots too. Always pleasing

Other than milk we've not spent any money this week which is good

Due to DH change in paydate will have to wait a few weeks for his pay, but it'll still be in this 'month' (ours works slightly differently than a nipormal month) I just need to be careful as one of our 'months' he gets paid on the last day and then the next month not at all, so I need tweak budgets to cover that. We obviously get more at others times, it's not that he isn't getting paid for that period, just need to get my head around it!

Hoping for a run today, I've not been for nearly 3 weeks and I'm missing it.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Oct 18, 6:51 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Didn't run until Saturday and it was lovely. We're away next week and I'm hoping for more running

Payday has been and gone, but pots all topped up and we are now debt neutral (apart from the mortgage ) with a bit to spare. It's very pleasing indeed.

EF topped up and I'm inching towards our next target

Some food spends at the weekend to tide us through until holiday, but we'll take what we have left with us. Got a huge sweet potato as they were priced each rather than pence per kg and a squash from super 6. Again got the biggest one

Need to do some last minute research on a few days out when we're away. Including how best to spend our mr t vouchers.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 28th Oct 18, 4:51 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Where has the time gone.... we've been away was lovely and we were able to maximise some spends with using mr t vouchers and taking advantage of a discount where we were staying for a local attraction. We used the facilities where were staying daily which was fab

I've made the 39p squash into a chickpea curry which I'll portion for lunches this week it'll only be a few pennies per portion. I've also meal planned for the week and shopped at L1dl and ald1 since we've been back.

Today I need to make a cake/biscuits of some description for lunch boxes for the week. We're also having a roast but I got a big chicken from L1dl rather than a joint at the butchers to keep the cost down. Will put the carcass in the slow cooker for stock. I think I'll make soup this week with it rather than risotto, then DH can take for lunches.

Yesterday another £25 voucher arrived for taking out a financial product I was going to take out anyway. Will cash it out today and add to my account so I don't 'forget' about it

Need to ask DH when he thinks he'll be able to stain the skirting in the spare room so I can order the carpet.

Managed one run whilst away, but need to aim to make it a minimum of twice a week and build from there. I feel so much better when I do it.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 29th Oct 18, 7:07 PM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 23,570 Thanks
    foxgloves
    You're always so busy, Purps.
    I like making a squash curry too. I do the Hairy Biker recipe, which is butternut & red lentil. V tasty & filling AND cheap AND freezes well, so ticks all the boxes here chez foxgloves x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £403
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 29th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    You're always so busy, Purps.
    I like making a squash curry too. I do the Hairy Biker recipe, which is butternut & red lentil. V tasty & filling AND cheap AND freezes well, so ticks all the boxes here chez foxgloves x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Ooh, will look that one up. Ticks all the boxes here too by the sounds of it.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 30th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Glad you had a great holiday and also that OH has permanent employment now. Much better all round.

Have a good week x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal £100/£750 November Goals: AFDs 13/25; Decluttering 07/60; LSDs 05/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 9th Nov 18, 7:00 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Busyness in RL has kept me away for posting too much, but it's been a bit of a conscious effort in the last week or so to reduce online time. Lots going on. Bank have given us go ahead for the first hurdle for the final borrowing for the mortgage just need to get one final document to them and then we can proceed to the next stage.

Today is payday I've shuffled money to the pots and it all looks healthy and good. I haven't finished the money shuffle as DH pay day is now different so need to factor this in and not move all my income and then not have money for food it'll all square away by the end of the month.

I was just doing some numbers today and I've set myself a mini target to get to pay all my rental income to mortgage overpayment. Probably by the middle of next year. I've made strides by increasing my overpayment by £5 today. Baby steps

I've reduced utility outgoings by £15 too, so that's got a new home in the budget

There's rumours of bonus at work in December which would be amazing watch this space.

We've bought some weights so that we can both exercise when time is short and we can't get to the gym. We did some research and got some at a very good price.

We won a prize in a raffle. 7 books, some limited editions and one signed by the author they're lovely. You can beat a beautiful book.

Last weeks shopping list was short and focused. Always good, hoping for the same this week and keep things lean. Will do a meal plan today.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 10th Nov 18, 1:03 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    All sounding tip top. Well done xx
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal £100/£750 November Goals: AFDs 13/25; Decluttering 07/60; LSDs 05/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Nov 18, 6:45 AM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 23,570 Thanks
    foxgloves
    You are sounding so together & organised with all your house plans. And what a lovely prize! I haven't won anything for ages. Have a few competitions to enter though, so fingers crossed for those.
    We hope to have some big joba done on our house next year, but nothing as extensive as yours x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Nov 18, 6:57 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning diaryland

Another busy week or so, it's relentless at the moment but I have managed some down time too, a few of us went to watch a show at the local theatre this week. Considering it was an amateur performance it was amazing. I also had a day shopping getting a few bits for Christmas, only a couple to go.

I want to get up in the loft this weekend and get some cards down I bought in the sale last year. One small has 2 parties this weekend, am so grateful for the present box. 2 lovely presents retrieved with no effect on the budget and picked up at good prices to start with.

In money news, we've moved utility suppliers (switch complete) so I've started putting the DW and wm on timer. Managed to sneak a second load on this morning.

I've cashed £55 out of £co. Hoping some of the other £200 I have sat in there gets paid out soon. The £55 will go to saving for the electrical item we need. Must check out some surveys, but when work is so busy and days are long, these go by the by. Must refocus again.

Naturally exercise takes a back seat too when life is busy, but I have been using weights at home, must be mor disciplined and do this daily when I don't get to the gym. Am keen to run this weekend though as it's been two weeks again and I'm missing it

DH is working overtime today and both weekend days next week. There is talk of him having 2 days off this week as a balance, this would be good as it would a) give him some down time from work, b) allow me to do some longer days and c) allow him to work on the spare room as we've now ordered the carpet. The end is in sight

Budgets all looking healthy with a couple of weeks to pay day. I'm working on emptying the freezers as we'll loose at least one, maybe 2 of the 3 when we build. So this week will be a new freezer inventory and make sure the meal plan will shop from home in the first place.

Enjoy your weekend folks. Purps.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Nov 18, 7:50 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Very productive day yesterday. Made a cottage pie, using a bargain giant sweet potato I bought a few weeks ago. Also a batch of scones that are super easy and lovely, gifted recipe from one of the lovely ladies on the DFW small things thread.

I also found a load of recipes on the cast iron cookware website. I'm going to try a frangipane post roast dinner today as we have everything in

Managed lots of sorting yesterday, loads went in the recycling bin and much sorting a sets of things finding their partners again. More to do today, but the back of it was definitely broken yesterday

Saw an offer for some barginous sausages from a excellent producer online, so am going to order them today. Must make sure they go on my freezer inventory I did yesterday I've done the meal plan based on what's in the freezer so only a small shop is due this week, I'll go post swimming lessons this morning.

I could do with listing some things on selling sites at some point. Maybe a couple today.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Nov 18, 1:17 PM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 23,570 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I'm doing really well with listing on ebay at the moment, Purps, but not so well on the long-overdue freezer inventory. I really must get that onto one of my daily task lists for the week ahead. There could be hidden treasure in that freezer!
    F x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,076Posts Today

6,702Users online

Martin's Twitter