Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 15,708Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 27
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 18, 7:46 AM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 15,708 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So the insurance money has hit my account to their word and has been duly filed in savings in a bit to get hold of our food spending I've decided I really do need to actively multishop. I.e. buy different things from different places, which to be honest I have always done, but not necessarily actively - I just tend to rotate and buy all my shopping for that time in that shop.

So project started in earnest yesterday and whilst car was in for a manufacturer recall, I spent 30 minutes going round aldeee taking photos of the price labels of things we might buy from there and last night i wrote them all up in my bullet journal so when shopping I can compare them. Plus ultimate aim is to do this in others shops and then only get what we get from each shop and go in roatation and buy enough until we're there again. The only none negotiable is milk which we buy fresh from the local farm, happy to continue to do this as a) it supports a small local business and b) it's the scrummiest thing you've ever tasted c) it comes in glass bottles which we reuse

Sorted 2 more boxes in spare room into one other box with a lid, which means we can stack it. Just 1 bag to sort and then empty the room before next week when plasterer man is coming.

New budget year starts on Friday this week and I love it as I get a whole clean sheet (well aside from all the numbers) I'm going to make a copy of it, so that this time next year I can compare it and see what changed so I can learn from that.

Made chocolate, black bean and chilli soup this morning. Didn't have a couple of the ingredients so substituted onion and carrot for leek and bns (both frozen) still smells amazing. Lunch sorted for the next couple of days for only pence per portion
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Sep 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 15,708 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Just 1 day until payday and it will be most welcome still trying to work through things at home that we have a stash of and meal plan around those. Found some carob powder this morning at the back of a cupboard whilst looking for yeast so will investigate recipes for that.

I thought I had yeast in beforehand is started making malt loaf in the bread,asked so I have all the ingredients in the pan, apart from yeast. Hmm. Will pop and get some post school run.

Picked loads more tomatoes this morning, lovely to put some in daughters lunchbox in my bid to reduce plastic in our lives I was looking to get a small flask that I could put a drink in for her lunchbox rather than use cartons with plastic straws. They're not easy to find as most are to big when I happened upon one in our garage this morning that I had forgotten about. Will give it a good clean with bicarbonate of soda and see if it still leakproof

We were due at friends this weekend who have had to cancel so whilst it's a shame we won't see them it means I can get much of the spare room done on Saturday afternoon whilst DH is working and we can have Sunday as a relaxing family day

I'm only at work half a week next week so I need to plan some seriously productive time to maximise opportunities. Will make a list in my bullet journal
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Glad you’re using the bullet journal. I find it really helpful to have my thoughts in one place. We are also making a push to using less plastic...quite easy when you get into the swing of it. Flask sounds good.

Have a great weekend x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin