Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,407Posts
    • 16,355Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 27
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 18, 7:46 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So the insurance money has hit my account to their word and has been duly filed in savings in a bit to get hold of our food spending I've decided I really do need to actively multishop. I.e. buy different things from different places, which to be honest I have always done, but not necessarily actively - I just tend to rotate and buy all my shopping for that time in that shop.

So project started in earnest yesterday and whilst car was in for a manufacturer recall, I spent 30 minutes going round aldeee taking photos of the price labels of things we might buy from there and last night i wrote them all up in my bullet journal so when shopping I can compare them. Plus ultimate aim is to do this in others shops and then only get what we get from each shop and go in roatation and buy enough until we're there again. The only none negotiable is milk which we buy fresh from the local farm, happy to continue to do this as a) it supports a small local business and b) it's the scrummiest thing you've ever tasted c) it comes in glass bottles which we reuse

Sorted 2 more boxes in spare room into one other box with a lid, which means we can stack it. Just 1 bag to sort and then empty the room before next week when plasterer man is coming.

New budget year starts on Friday this week and I love it as I get a whole clean sheet (well aside from all the numbers) I'm going to make a copy of it, so that this time next year I can compare it and see what changed so I can learn from that.

Made chocolate, black bean and chilli soup this morning. Didn't have a couple of the ingredients so substituted onion and carrot for leek and bns (both frozen) still smells amazing. Lunch sorted for the next couple of days for only pence per portion
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Sep 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Just 1 day until payday and it will be most welcome still trying to work through things at home that we have a stash of and meal plan around those. Found some carob powder this morning at the back of a cupboard whilst looking for yeast so will investigate recipes for that.

I thought I had yeast in beforehand is started making malt loaf in the bread,asked so I have all the ingredients in the pan, apart from yeast. Hmm. Will pop and get some post school run.

Picked loads more tomatoes this morning, lovely to put some in daughters lunchbox in my bid to reduce plastic in our lives I was looking to get a small flask that I could put a drink in for her lunchbox rather than use cartons with plastic straws. They're not easy to find as most are to big when I happened upon one in our garage this morning that I had forgotten about. Will give it a good clean with bicarbonate of soda and see if it still leakproof

We were due at friends this weekend who have had to cancel so whilst it's a shame we won't see them it means I can get much of the spare room done on Saturday afternoon whilst DH is working and we can have Sunday as a relaxing family day

I'm only at work half a week next week so I need to plan some seriously productive time to maximise opportunities. Will make a list in my bullet journal
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Glad you’re using the bullet journal. I find it really helpful to have my thoughts in one place. We are also making a push to using less plastic...quite easy when you get into the swing of it. Flask sounds good.

Have a great weekend x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal 100/750 November Goals: AFDs 11/25; Decluttering 02/60; LSDs 04/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 20th Sep 18, 7:13 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Yesterday I ordered a couple of things to help us move forward to reducing plastic. I am however keeping the faith as I removed the breadbag from my basket when I realised it looked like a cotton pillowcase with a tie on it and I will fashion my own from a cotton pillowcase instead.

I also called and negotiated with out broadband provider to increase our service and downgrade the price must update sheet

First mortgage overpayment for BTL has been made today it's only small but I we have to start somewhere

I also called the builder yesterday and he is coming next week to make Final plans and go through the quote and process one more time. Hoping we can start in January latest. Scary stuff.

Am off work today, so have some jobs to do, including taking back one item to be exchanged and another to be refunded. I am also going to step up my 'where is the cheapest place to buy different food from' by calling in at a L1dl on the way back from the town I'm visiting for exchange. I'm hoping to get a run in too if time allows before I have to pick the smalls up.

I also need to check out how much paint I have as I want to make a start on the spare room or bathroom at some point. Hmm, busy, busy, busy. So much for a few days holiday
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 20th Sep 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Got 70 back in vouchers for the two items. L1dl was good, I got a free box of chocolates and a voucher for 5 more weeks for a different item each week. Not sure I'll use them all but I have a number of items added to my list as cheapest place to buy.

I've spent some time on a diary on here I stumbled across, which I have had loads of inspiration from. Downloaded an app they mentioned and whipped up an inspirational tea with a previously cooked chicken leg, orzo, left over cabbage and some other veg

Also made some sausage rolls and a batch of bolegnase and managed a visit to a community orchard (still too early, need a few more years ) will go to another next week that's about further out.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 21st Sep 18, 5:07 AM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 18,164 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I went to a community orchard yesterday too! Ours is heaving and I came back with a big bag of apples to process. I'm going to try to go every couple of days as it's only a 15 minute walk away, and bring back a bag full to cook/freeze/turn into chutney or crumble or whatever.

Hurrah on the plastic reduction! I've sewn a few bento bags (look on pinterest for patterns) which are pretty easy and very pleasing, and are useful for storing bread etc in. I also use them to store random things in the freezer once they are already frozen loose on trays, like muffins or flapjacks.

We are waiting for a quote from a builder, but ours will only be an outline one. I am desperately counting down to getting our work started!
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: 38,608 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/173,282 mortgage = 231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: 12,221.27 unsecured debt/19,940 parental loan/191,003.72 mortgage = 223,165
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 21st Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 23,400 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I have access to an ancient orchard in a public park, but I'm usually so overwhelmed with apples & pears from our own old fruit trees that I've never picked any from the park. My foraging on the fruit front is usually blackberries & elderberries with occasional rosehips & haws if I want to make hedgerow jelly. Oh, & sloes sometimes, though I've been making blackberry & apple gin or blackberry & pear vodka in more recent years.
    We are reducing plastic waste at home too, PurpleFairy.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 358
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 23rd Sep 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Visitors how lovely have a I would offer you some of my apples but I know you both have enough of those

Yesterday was a good day in the purple household (apart from mr PF having to work, he did however get paid very well for it) I made some things, red cabbage and apples in the sc, all nicely portioned in the freezer, welsh cakes, some of which are nice,y in my tum and our family favourite at the moment lemon drizzle tray bake

I've got 2 bags of apples and I'm going to spend some time this afternoon peeling and stewing and chopping to make chutney, crumbles and other bits for the freezer. Have already got part a bag of chopped left over apples in freezer so will add these in too.

I'm also going to go fo a long (for me anyway ) run. As I didn't have to rush back for small people or family plans it gives me a bit more time to be out for longer. I'm going to go soonish so I can then get back and get on with my jobs.

There is also the spare room to think about painting, but I think that can wait until tomorrow.

In money news food spends are low, which is good. The new way of shopping is working out for us so will continue and see where we get to. I would call in WIP.

We've still 3 weeks until payday but money all in the right place and I've skimmed 250 out of our spends to see if we can save that on top of normal. Will see how we go.

Used an instant voucher yesterday to get 8% discount off some paint. Bought it whilst in the shop as I didn't know how much it was going to be

Must reconcile my just for points cc today too.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 24th Sep 18, 5:38 AM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 18,164 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Oooh welsh cakes! I haven't made those for years. That's going on the list for this week. I am also plotting chutney, crumble prep and anything else I can think to do with apples this week. I was wondering about attempting to just preserve some slices in syrup in jars. I don't think my freezer is up to the job of the amount I have available!

Good luck skimming off the extra 250, that's a good chunk extra to be saving.
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: 38,608 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/173,282 mortgage = 231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: 12,221.27 unsecured debt/19,940 parental loan/191,003.72 mortgage = 223,165
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 24th Sep 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I'm thinking dried apple rings too maybe TOPM if I can get the to dry in the oven. And stuffed apples for puddings. The apple making things have had to pause today though as I need to paint a room as unexpectedly a man is coming tomorrow to put skirting on and a new door

Post dropping smalls off at school, I have managed to get to diy shop, get what I need and get back (dropping fleabay parcel off en route) and done 2 coats and I look more presentable than I thought I would for the school run will try a 3rd coat later if I can

That would leave me tomorrow morning to clean downstairs (no point doing upstairs until man has gone, although the is the tidiest worker I've ever met but still, dust gets places ....) and some more exercise which would be productive.

Must go and get smalls from school
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 24th Sep 18, 8:34 PM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 35,259 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I am SO jealous of your cooking and prepping foodstuffs. The lemon drizzle traybake sounds amazing, and I think I'm going to have to attempt Welsh Cakes sooner rather than later.
    November in NY #20 NSD = 7 1 debt vs 100 days 328.51/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 25th Sep 18, 8:04 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I've listed the recipe on your diary cat for the cake. So easy chuck it all in, mix, bake, topping and then eat

Today will be about doing some niggly jobs, call tax office (oh joy), if I get some sense submit my tax return and do DH.

Sort pile of paperwork
    Make list of questions for the builder whose coming tomorrow
    Call carpet company and see if they will travel to for us, if so order and book
    Message man about a radiator
    Swap something at the shop
    Get a couple of items for chutney making
    Maybe a bimble round some charity shops if I have time

Have my first payment pending from a new app I downloaded at the weekend and bought 3 products on Sunday, well impressed. Will PAD them to saving for electrical item

DH got asked to sign up to the website for our life insurance, they will send 10 amaz0n voucher if he does. Off to do that today too.
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 25th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    All the cooking sounds lovely, I've never tried to make welshcakes, my dd absolutely loves them! Hope you manage to get through your list, sometimes the niggly jobs just flow nicely.

Hope the painting is going well, just waiting for the plaster to dry fully in ds room then that will be my job and varnish the new skirting and door.

Well done on your food spends savings and mortgage overpayment.

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 2400 Credit card 2200 now 1700 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 6909.04 Barclays loan 3000 now 2756.42 Dad 300
    PAID - Computer 646.52, Overdraft 1 2200
    Emergency fund: 10 General savings: 10
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 25th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    You sound like us Hugglemonster waiting for something to happen so I can get on with the next job.

Managed all the jobs on my list apart from ordering carpet but they have confirmed they will fit for us

I also got a pair of trousers in the charity shop 3.95 just the sort I have been scouring fleabay for. Also tried on a pair that were brand new with tags 49.50 they werent right so I put them back. Shame though, would have been a bargain.

Also got something for each of the smalls stockings for 45p each

I went to tk whatisface and got a pair of compression tights for 20 instead of 80 they've been on my list for a while too not only in my size but tall version too I stalked the manufacturers website whilst in thee to triple check the size was right. Happy days.

Then a weights session and steam room at the gym for a relaxation

Managed to get my introductory offer from the shopping app today so we have some branded chocolate that will be gratis when I get my 1.50 back which judging by the first payments will be the end of the week

Good stuff all round.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 25th Sep 18, 6:49 PM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 35,259 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sounds like a busy but very productive day PF.
    Thanks for the recipe - with my new found Nigella confidence I will no doubt try it very soon.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Oct 18, 6:23 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    1.50 for my introductory offer from the app paid in to bank today, moved to savings. As have a couple of fleabay sales. Small but 2 items gone from the fleabay bag and a few more pennies in the savings account.

Yesterday was a get ahead day and quality time with family all rolled in to one. We managed to:
    Small to swimming lessons
    Made calzone for lunch boxes
    Made a cake
    Roast dinner from scratch, plenty of leftovers
    Take damaged door back and got a much nicer looking one
    Used our family membership for an outdoor place. Was busy but we went in the bit you either pay extra for (as non members) or members only so it's much quieter. We picked leaves, hunted for cookers and the smalls rolled down the big hill several times
    We may have had a cheeky scone after all that fresh air too
    Clean downstairs and do 2 loads of washing

I feel like we're ready for the week ahead which is always a good start

As it's the first much money left the account this morning for various bills, but all accounted for and it feels so much less stressful than 1sts of the month used to be when I would dread looking at the account to see if there had been enough money to cover things also first payment of our 10 year bond. Obviously seems ages away, but you have to start somewhere.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 3rd Oct 18, 6:58 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Sounding so busy and positive. Love it. Well done PF
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal 100/750 November Goals: AFDs 11/25; Decluttering 02/60; LSDs 04/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 7th Oct 18, 6:24 AM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Thanks for mentioning community orchards PF- I just had a google and there's one right next to a friends house. Was planning on popping over today to see her so will take a bag and have a nose round

I have a massive hankering for apple crumble too so fingers crossed
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 3302.35/ 3000 110%
    Aug: 461.02 Sept: 10 Oct: 240.82 Nov: 50.65

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Oct 18, 7:06 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thanks for mentioning community orchards PF- I just had a google and there's one right next to a friends house. Was planning on popping over today to see her so will take a bag and have a nose round

I have a massive hankering for apple crumble too so fingers crossed
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    It may even be the one I went to kittenkirst as i know I'm not too far from you. Hope there are still lots, I found some wee quite high up and unreachable which was a shame as they looked amazing but which still got a great haul. In fact 8 jars of chutney, 2 crumbles and 4 huge pots of stewed apple later, plus eaters for 2 weeks it was a fab haul

Builder coming this morning for a chat. Hoping we can get all our questions answered and then just to finalise a date

In other news, DH has agreed to be taken on by the company he was being se for, this will mean that he gets holiday pay etc... which all in all is good. It's effectively an instant pay rise. Although there's a few adjusting of budgets given that he'll get paid on a slightly different cycle to now, but we'll get used to it. As long as it's regular income, we're not fussy

Hoping for a quiet day today after a busy on yesterday. Just some calzone to make (I.e cook - made dough yesterday), some chicken legs to roast and that's packed lunches done. Then a roast dinner for everyone but that should be straightforward

Week (well 5 days but whose counting) until pay day and all looks ok. The 250 I stashed in a separate account is still there

Shopping a L1dl has been really good the last 3 weeks. Hoping to try and stretch it to every other week and top up from the market in between and see how that works.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 7th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 35,259 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Great news for your DH. Fantastic to get a pay rise, and holiday pay as well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,507Posts Today

9,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin